Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 24, 2014 1:37 PM

Oct 2013
Are it really that necessary to see the prologue before watching the movie it self?
May 24, 2014 7:17 PM

Mar 2012
Do you mean The Beginning of the Day? If you are, then it's not because they are just the same as the first 25 min of the movie.
Keep moving forward
May 25, 2014 3:35 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Having Eve as a witness to the skill of Yoshiyasu, I was expecting something original, with unexpected situations.
Well, I was not disappointed, the three major twists and a frame of respect!
Plot perhaps not developed in depth, but I recognize that it would take more time.
Character design is not attractive to others, but pleasant. Scenarios really beautiful, nice color design.
Characters not characterized in full, but let's go back to the earlier remarks.
Narration pleasant and very nice soundtrack.
For now, I've seen the film only once, to destroy it really well and with depth, to judge well; I have to see at least one more time.
The underlying message, however, is quite clear.
Final rating for now is 10/10!
May 26, 2014 3:39 AM

Jun 2007
4kicks said:
This movie sure had me confused for a bit. So, my understanding in the end (going downward):
-The ringed Moon (likely comprised of the debris/dead people from the "experiment" on Earth)
-Space
-the pedo geezer sucked into space...nonetheless, he's dead :)
-Real sky
-Earth
-"Underground" (Patema's people) the actual normal people. Likely descendants of survivors who conducted the experiment/or weren't affected by it.
-"Above ground" (Eiji's disillusioned "Aiga" people) the actual upside-down people living in a dystopia.
-Artificial atmosphere
-Artificial "Starry sky" (Actually just the metal bottom base...likely explaining why it was uninhabited)

^ This post made sense of the ending for me. I understood the end twist meant that Age's people were inverted, rather than Patema's, but I couldn't make sense of the x2 sky aspect and what was with the metal structure the leads floated to. I get it now. Kinda. Cheerio! (Evangelion was confusing enough for me in terms of the geofront!)

Someone made a post asking what would happen if Age got Patema pregnant - whether the child would be inverted in the womb or not/ make her float / not come out - but I think imaging how they'd reproduce is even more amusing. Lots of hentai potential here when the 69 position is the most natural. Come on--I can't be the only one that thought it!

Will have to seriously re-watch it with the screen upside down at some point. I found the idea of reversed gravity as scary as Patema, but I LOVED how the leads had to hold each other in a weird handstand way or cuddle to move around safely. There should be a statue representing the fragility of love or something displaying that handstand holding that can be flipped.

Everything to do with reversed gravity and romance (a little cliche) was near perfect. I especially loved the early scene where Age put her in that little building and she became like a pet. The music cutting out as Patema acted like a "princess" during a lovey scene made me chuckle. BUT, the film was too short and didn't explain its setting or story very well. It ended without any WOWWOW resolution. And that 1D evil guy was.... 1D evil. ANDAND, like a guy just before asked, where did that "bat" guy at the start come from and go to?
AironicallyHumanMay 26, 2014 3:57 AM
May 26, 2014 3:20 PM

Jan 2012
jfblade said:
Are it really that necessary to see the prologue before watching the movie it self?

No just watch the movie it includes the prologue you speak of.

Great movie. Deep.lol
you sound poor
May 27, 2014 12:38 AM

Aug 2012
Thread Cleaned

Try to discuss the movie itself, rather than things like where to watch it...
May 27, 2014 10:54 AM

Oct 2009
Solid 9/10 for me.
May 28, 2014 5:27 PM

Jun 2012
I just finished watching it, and it was amazing!
Unique concept and the I loved the plot twists, especially the ending.
I must buy this on DVD.
May 28, 2014 7:34 PM

Mar 2013
Nice looks, even though the most beautifull once where only seen in a very few amount of time, and the animation was on an avarage anime still, which means pretty low

Kinda interesting premise. Well 2 world with different type of gravity, and 2 different world. Im sure there would be much more interesting premises out there, but im ok with it.

Flat and uninteresing characters

Boring, anime clichee like way of storytelling and nothing much happens

A nice twist at the end

5/10
May 30, 2014 8:31 AM

Nov 2010
Great movie, the visuals were top
The beginning it looked like the interior of Sidonia except the 3d though
It was a nice story about opposites and exploration with a little romance

I do wonder how Age and Patema go on from there on the real surface
May 30, 2014 1:03 PM

Jun 2012
a great anime with great story and amazing animations..love it
Jun 4, 2014 3:52 AM

Jan 2014
So....
-1D villain
- slow pacing at the start
Then...
+Eyegasmic animations
+Unique concepts
+Epic twists
+Unique romance concept
+Unique concept plot

8/10

Bonus: That letter the old man reading at the end
http://i.imgur.com/vfgMuiZ.jpg
"we are alive"
"...Into repair of gravity inversion"
"....This e-mail all over earth"
*mindblown'd*

P.S. I'm grasping at straws here but maybe the debris around the moon means they accidentally strengthen the moon's gravitational pull on some objects, hence the disaster? Would be really helpful if someone can prove/disprove this theory.
Don't attribute maliciousness when stupidity is enough to explain what happens
Jun 5, 2014 10:28 PM

Jul 2011
Lol the MAL rating...

That ending with the real world was excellent though, and I LOVE the idea of inverted city in the sky.

Beautiful setting/idea and animation, even if character were bland and plot terrible (seriously, so pointless). :D

And I'm surprised not one of them attempted any handstands.
Jun 6, 2014 4:59 PM

May 2010
I'm still confused about certain things...especially the ending..but still really good movie. I love the whole inverted gravity concpet, I've never seen something like that before.
Jun 11, 2014 12:32 AM

Feb 2008
There were a lot, and I mean a lot, of logical errors in the way gravity behaved, even assuming that the basic premise of the series was correct. And the big reveal at the end was one that I'd been expecting for a very long time. But I liked it anyway.

I wonder what will happen to the Aiga now? If they're told the truth and shown the hole, I think it'll probably lead to mass suicide, rebellion and religious genocide. After all, its pretty hard to go from being God's chosen to being the very sinners you've always hated and reviled. Though I am glad that that sob was forced to realize the truth before he died.

Really liked it when he was trying to go to school and the music kept cutting out whenever she called out to him ;)
Jun 15, 2014 8:10 PM

Nov 2012
I hope the Illustrators of this movie draw a full map of the Sakasama no Patema world so I can see how all this really looks like.
Jun 15, 2014 11:28 PM

Nov 2013
Oh the plotholes, what would we do without them?

A lot of unanswered questions (some were implied but it might be me looking too hard on it to justify a higher score). Still the movie was enjoyable, though it has a lot of wasted potential. Art is good though. 5-6/10
Jun 19, 2014 9:53 AM

Aug 2013
Amazing! Even if I still didn't understand everything I can properly say that Sakasama no Patema was a brilliant production.

9/10
I don't like the terms "good person" or "bad person" because it's impossible to be entirely good to everyone or entirely bad to everyone.
To some, you are a good person, while to others, you are a bad person. ~Armin (Shingeki no Kyojin)

Jun 19, 2014 4:24 PM

Oct 2012
Nice fairytale and very thought-provoking movie, I liked it. The very idea of being inverted is very interesting and it shows our human existence in so different perspective.

I can only wonder what this movie could become if both main characters wasn't so shallow and if those themes were explored bit deeper - cause this would be such a masterpiece if only this movie was bit more serious..

Nontheless, it's solid 7/10 for me.
Jun 27, 2014 8:16 PM

Jan 2014
Woah, that was a great film. I started out ranting about how boring it was at the beginning only to find myself sitting throughout the whole movie with a huge grin.

9/10
Recommend me an anime
Jun 29, 2014 4:21 PM

Jan 2011
Omg, both visually and musically it was just BRILLIANT. I love the idea and setting as well. Story was kinda meh and undeveloped though. I didn't get the message...
7/10.
InevitabilisJun 30, 2014 4:46 AM
Jul 10, 2014 8:10 AM

Jan 2012
It was kinda nice but I didn't really like the main girl :s The ending was pretty interesting though...

It was better than Upside Down oO
Jul 11, 2014 6:32 PM

Oct 2010
Well that was pretty damn enjoyable.
Jul 12, 2014 1:14 AM

Feb 2013
Nice movie! Love the twist! xD

also dat kiss scene was so qt .. LOL
✈️
Jul 12, 2014 2:44 AM

Oct 2013
Dam this was a great movie really loved the story
art was great
9/10 for me
[/quote]
Jul 17, 2014 12:38 AM

Feb 2014
Wow man, just, wow. What an awesome movie! Some of the best 1,5 hours I spent in my life!

Though now I feel like I'm upside down. Is it just me? XD
Jul 22, 2014 9:06 AM

Jun 2011
More like fantasy rather than sci-fi
But it was good, I guess...
Aug 11, 2014 1:22 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I didn't know what to expect coming into this.. and I'm still a bit split regarding some things coming out of it. But all that asides I absolutely loved it. Like the whole inversion aspect is such a simple thing and although its platforming mechanic has been used in video games before, I can't recall I've ever seen a movie about it, at least not that utlized it as its very core plot mechanic, and it just did it in such a beautiful way. I wouldn't say I found it touching per se (very few things do that to me) but it was just plain likable across the board, which is all I ever ask for in an anime. 10/10
Aug 14, 2014 12:34 PM

Mar 2008
plot holes yes they exist
but one could only do so much within 1 hour and 30 minutes unless it was a series i personally think they did their best for an original (?)
confusing yes but at the same time intriguing as well as mind blowing for the concept and setting
various scenes really throws you off with both the art and counter intuitive plot
an overall 8/10
fill in those plot holes and polish it up then it would hav been a 10
but in a business point it would also mean spinoffs or sequels as well for filling those plot holes
Aug 16, 2014 4:04 AM

Jul 2008
Beautiful Movie 9/10
Aug 16, 2014 10:33 AM

Jan 2012
neat movie was neat...

How does Aiga not fall down to the man-made industrial sky?

Why the hell did they go through all the trouble making all that shit, though I kind of understand them feeling guilty about inverted people not able to experience the real sky and whatnot.

So, it seems like they've been living underground for at least a century? Why the hell is no one living up top? It's just small part of the country that's affected right?

Also in b4 inverted hentai anime
flaxman85Aug 16, 2014 10:49 AM
Sep 15, 2014 5:58 AM

Oct 2013
girlyman said:
lol episode 1. It's a movie.

this

good fil,m tho
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Sep 30, 2014 2:11 PM

Jan 2014
Simply love directing and idea/meaning. wow, phenomenal.
Oct 3, 2014 2:27 PM

Jul 2008
The idea is more interesting than the execution. The romance felt kind of forced. All in all still enjoyable. 7/10
Oct 5, 2014 9:41 PM

Jun 2012
Damn that movie was friggin amazing. My only complaint would be that they didnt show the kiss.
Nov 4, 2014 7:43 AM

Jul 2013
Cliched film with a cliched villain. Visually it was pretty impressive at times but that's pretty much the only real positive thing about it.
Nov 7, 2014 9:36 PM

Mar 2008
Theresonly1cryo said:
The concept behind the world of Patema is pretty interesting, but also confusing, I wonder why when Age and Patema

Nov 27, 2014 6:42 PM

Apr 2014
I thought that was a great movie, kinda trippy with the camera getting both of their perspectives. I was thinking it was going to be over when she leaped off that guy and grabbed onto the kid on top the tower and the shot into the "sky" I can think they can all live in peace now with that villain guy gone..
---------My Profile------------
Nov 28, 2014 2:07 AM

Jun 2011
So after reading a few posts, I realized there was a twist at the end and the "underground people" are actually the normal ones, but I would have preferred without it, it would have made more sense imo.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 4, 2014 1:34 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Great movie. Stereotypical evil villain, but everything else was very good. I love how much sense it made with the weight to and from inverted worlds. Everything fit together so well. I enjoyed every minute of it. The world building in particular was my favorite thing.

And watching Age find the hot air balloon made me well up with tears. It wasn't fair.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Dec 16, 2014 8:17 AM
Jun 2013
Spoilers
This is the key thing to understand the end plot
Ppl who surived the fall ABANDON the surface (which is eiji's kind) and live underground. the scientist is guilty and live with them (patema's kind).
In the end, eiji and patema blasted the SEAL that keeping them really underground.
as conclusion, eiji is the victim and patema is the real non affected human race but Aiga doesnt want to accept reality and somehow twisted the fact that they are the victim. finally they found the real EARTH.
Dec 19, 2014 6:16 AM

Dec 2012
Impressive. I think it's the word to describe this movie. I have seen the 4 OVAs prologue before and I was looking for it. The animation and the story are perfect, everything is done to make dream the viewer.

I loved this movie, all is perfect. (except the vilain, who is a little cliched.)
10/10, this movie made me dream.
Dec 22, 2014 11:26 PM

Jun 2014
Oh my god. It look a minute, but i understand now! And HOLY SHIT THAT WAS GOOD.
I don't even know were to start! But i want more of this! I know i wont get it, cause the story was filled out fully, but a sequel would be AMAZING.
I still have vertigo.
I am in love with this move.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Dec 23, 2014 6:11 PM

Jul 2012
Although it was rather simple and cliche, the directing, angles, musical choice, world building and visuals alone were enough to bring my final score to an 8/10.

I would have liked a bit more explanation with everything and all, and I felt like they could have done more instead of slow panning shots, like there's a scenes with just people staring at scenery. And also, it was a dystopian story near the beginning, I wish there would have been more done to that, rather than just a typical villain with typical bad guys.

Also, I felt like this would be even better as a one cour series, with more stuff included. It was like Suisei no Gargantia but with less flaws.
Dec 23, 2014 8:04 PM
Jun 2010
Just found this by chance, omg this is so awesome.
Dec 27, 2014 4:47 PM

Apr 2012
Too much flip flop flipping and bad drama. 6/10.
Dec 29, 2014 10:41 AM

Jun 2013
That was one of the most beautiful movies i have ever seen!
10/10
:)
Dec 30, 2014 1:19 PM

Aug 2013
Kuruwin said:
Cliched film with a cliched villain. Visually it was pretty impressive at times but that's pretty much the only real positive thing about it.

You can't see real beauty.

10/10
Beautiful movie. I didn't expect that it will be that good. One of the best ideas for movie which I've ever seen. And that ending song. True awesomeness.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 5, 2015 8:06 PM
Nov 2010
Man.. that was a complete mindfuck for me. I was thinking so hard about why there was an artificial sky. I don't know what some of you are talking about when there were plotholes/unanswered questions. All of my questions were answered and it was brilliant. 9/10 for me for a good twist I struggled to see :).
Jan 11, 2015 11:49 AM

Aug 2014
This movie was spectacular! Their story, their feelings about each other,... all of that was amazing! ^.^ Great job for the creators of this movie. ;)
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» So what exactly is good about this movie?

Nyron - Dec 28, 2014

34 by maximovich »»
Jan 17, 5:35 PM

» Is Sakasama no Patema a romance?

Hosny - Jul 20, 2017

5 by waalex11 »»
Jan 10, 9:23 AM

» Children? Spoiler

PirateMadryk - Apr 30, 2017

7 by Seiya0890 »»
Dec 31, 2023 4:11 PM

» can someone explain the end to me (spoilers)

Scootboi - May 22, 2014

22 by Scootboi »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:56 PM

» *SPOILERS* End Letter Decode ( 1 2 )

Weapon_Master - May 11, 2014

54 by XxMakagOxX »»
Jul 6, 2023 11:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.