Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 11, 2013 3:37 AM

Jul 2011
So, my sister is going to watch this finally. Unlike me, she didn't watch the ONA, so I wonder if she can start the TV Series she must watch the ONA to understand what's going on?
As for me, I think she can start with the ep 00 then the TV series, I think it'll be okay like this.
Still, I need some help guys.. Thanks : )
Oct 11, 2013 11:08 AM
Jul 2010
I think she can start with Episode 00 safely and then proceed with TV series, from episode 2 preview it looks like events from 2012's ONAs will be included here too. I wouldn't say that 2012 ONAs should be ignored completely, but i guess they are not really necessary for now. Maybe some parts of them, not included in series, may be recaped in one of the upcoming two specials, we will see.
Oct 11, 2013 12:45 PM

Jul 2011
DNI said:
I think she can start with Episode 00 safely and then proceed with TV series, from episode 2 preview it looks like events from 2012's ONAs will be included here too. I wouldn't say that 2012 ONAs should be ignored completely, but i guess they are not really necessary for now. Maybe some parts of them, not included in series, may be recaped in one of the upcoming two specials, we will see.

I see, I think the other ONAs will have recap in the series or the two specials too.
Thank you so much, I must tell her to watch it now *v*
Oct 12, 2013 12:11 PM
Jan 2010
I don't recommend replacing the 2011 ONA with Episode 00 since it has cut scenes and sped up lines/dialogue that make it feel forced, not to mention all the BGM that was replaced. The original has all the atmosphere of experimental animation so it's more fun to watch.

As of the 2012 ONAs, I agree with the user above. Though since I myself like most of us watch the series as a complement to its preceding content, I'm not sure which way the Kyousougiga experience would be richer.

If you are prioritizing the enjoyment then my subjective say is to watch the ONAs first, since they have their own format.
JusticeisoverOct 12, 2013 12:14 PM
Oct 13, 2013 8:14 AM

Feb 2013
the ONAs aren't too long either. Won't even take an hiur fir her to get caught up.
Oct 17, 2013 9:06 AM
Oct 2012
There is no need to watch the OVAs. The series is repeating them, but in a better, more coherent way so there is no advantage to the OVAs any more.
Nov 11, 2013 4:04 AM

Aug 2013
Well to me I've not watched the ONAs so I'm having little hard to understand the story I would suggest to watch her the ONAs the story is little complicated and complex and I satisfying but it's still good may be cuz of ovas
AqUar!An
Jan 3, 2014 12:56 AM
Jan 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
There is no need to watch the OVAs. The series is repeating them, but in a better, more coherent way so there is no advantage to the OVAs any more.

100% agree with this. I watched the OVAs before the TV series and I feel like I watched some parts 3 times. Not to mention that they are confusing because it's just random parts of the story without any of the sequential explanation of the series.
Feb 12, 2014 5:01 PM
Oct 2013
Just watched the 5 ONA's. So if you want a short description of them...

Feb 20, 2014 1:46 PM
May 2011
So how are the OVA, ONAs and TV Series related to each other? Like, which one happens first, or if the OVA/ONAs are recapped in the TV Series ecc... I'd like to watch this at its fullest, but I'm not really interested in watching the same thing three times.
Rating things is overrated.
Apr 3, 2014 11:36 PM
Jan 2012
-Crys said:
So how are the OVA, ONAs and TV Series related to each other? Like, which one happens first, or if the OVA/ONAs are recapped in the TV Series ecc... I'd like to watch this at its fullest, but I'm not really interested in watching the same thing three times.

The TV series is the full story and the OVAs are random parts of it, like a preview. The animation is pretty but the story makes no sense unless you watch the series.
May 30, 2014 8:23 PM

Jul 2013
-Crys said:

To anyone else wondering the answer to this question:
The ONA's are like a short and spread-out telling of the story. You watch them, and you get just enough to sort of get whats going on, but enough to invest in the story and want MOAR. Thats how I felt anyways-- other people want more fluidity in their anime and thats the purpose the TV series serves. Me, personally, I saw the OVAs before a TV show was announced, was super excited about the series, then shat bricks as the TV series came out. Now that its already out that anticipation is nullified.
EAT SH!T AND LIVE
Jun 22, 2021 9:43 PM

May 2020
As someone who watched the series in the order it was broadcast, I'll share my two cents as well.

To anyone reading this, the watch order for this particular show depends on how much patience you have.

The 2011 and 2012 ONA's are a confusing to watch on their own, as they show very little context for the setting of the show, especially the 2011 ONA which will feel like you were dropped in the middle of the 6th episode of a show. The 2012 ONA's provide more context and backgrounds for the characters and story but not fully.

But if you're willing to sit through an hour's worth of content before you watch the show and if you like what you saw, I can assure you that watching the T.V show afterwards will be worth it. The T.V show expands upon what's shown in the ONA's and more importantly, provides context for it, which makes for a fun experience. Just note that there are some significant changes to the story when it shifts to the T.V show, so don't be surprised when they're not the same.

However, if you're the impatient type who wants to get to the meat of the story without wanting to bother with watch orders or whatever, I highly recommend you just directly watch the TV show. The show is standalone and does not require you to watch anything before hand for you to understand anything. Like I said before, the T.V shows everything the ONA's did and provides context for it.

If you liked the show, then feel free to check out the ONA's afterwards to see how the series evolved overtime.

Hopefully this has been of some help to any future viewers.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

136 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2013

66 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2013

61 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2013

65 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2013

87 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.