MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Underrated Anime
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Club Discussion »» How to Watch Anime »» Underrated Anime

Must be a Club Member to Reply
Pages (3) -2 -1 [0] 1 2 » ... Last »
02-16-09, 6:33 AM

bluesunset92 said:
Mahoraba~Heartful Days~ It is a great anime with awesome characters and a great storyline. It only has a 7.67 rating even though I think it is one of the best comedy/romance anime.

This is sad because it's true. Given that there are thousands of people voting on series every day, and that for each person that likes a series there is another who doesn't and two who think it mediocre, a score of 7.67 should be absolutely marvelous, somewhere in the absolute top layer.
The fact that it isn't means that there actually aren't underrated series on MAL, only overrated.

That said, there are quite a few shows that are not so much underrated as they are underappreciated, or appreciated for the wrong reasons. Many of the shows I'd mention have already been listed.
Mahoraba is certainly on the top of that list, as it is one of the most original comedies to come out in the past few years, and one of the very few that doesn't try to be comical by using sexual innuendo, blatant rampages or gender issues overly much.
Simoun is another that seems to be completely overlooked by most (though loved by many who have actually seen the whole of it), even though it has one of the most original background settings in anime and uses this setting to very good effect to explain both the story and the actions of many of the characters.
Of shows that haven't been already been mentioned the two that top my list would be Zipang, for its somewhat conventional but very well executed take on time travel and its repercussions, and Hundred Stories/Requiem from the Darkness, the unconventional art style of which actually enhances the horror stories told (in some ways far better than Mononoke could) while being accompanied by one of the more unusual soundtracks in the genre.

As for appreciated for the wrong reasons, again Simoun could be named, the yuri elements of which tend to take over many a discussion, while the main strength of the show is the background.
My favourite in this genre, however, would be School Days. Both story and characters have been loved and loathed for the drama portrayed, the flatness of character and the utter ridiculousness of what is going on, but people fail to see that what is shown is actually nothing but a reductio ad absurdum of many of the standard, yet utterly ridiculous, elements of nearly all harem shows or romcoms, leading these elements to what should be their logical endpoint. Hating the hormone- and libido-infested characters and motivations in School Days should have you hating almost every single piece set in a high school environment.
You do not beg the sun for mercy.

02-16-09, 3:22 PM

santetjan said:
This is sad because it's true. Given that there are thousands of people voting on series every day, and that for each person that likes a series there is another who doesn't and two who think it mediocre, a score of 7.67 should be absolutely marvelous, somewhere in the absolute top layer.
The fact that it isn't means that there actually aren't underrated series on MAL, only overrated.

Good Point. I hadn't thought about it like that.

02-16-09, 5:02 PM

Hitohira, definitely. It's not the best anime in the world, but I really liked it, and I never hear about it -o-.

Also, Shion no Ou, Tenshi na Konamaiki, Hyakko (big time) and Hatenkou Yuugi/ Dazzle (Yeah, the manga is better, but the anime is really good for only 10 episodes)

02-18-09, 8:53 PM

Mushishi
Monster
Kaiba
Kino's Journey
Denno Coil

These are amazing series that more people really need to see.

I still consider some of the highest rated series on this site (Mushishi and Monster) to be underrated~
Simply because they aren't more talked about~

02-19-09, 7:28 AM

I think Mushrambo is underrated. It has something that other shounen anime doesn't have: emotion.
Other thing to point out to is Nijuu Mensou no Musume. Once again a nice anime from Bones. Don't forget Aya Hirano as well.

03-21-09, 10:27 PM

*bump*
Thread revival!

03-21-09, 11:04 PM

minami-ke... well not really, since it's already rated fairly high but that's all i can think of, sorry. (damn you myanimelist members for giving everything such high scores.)
Many people take the animation for granted i believe. Theres not much that's artistic, but the few technical bits were done well (camera angle shifting and quick movements), and i also quite liked the way the characters were drawn/designed. The comedy suited me, as there were some parts where the humour worked on the viewer's assumptions, as opposed to revealing the whole joke.

JeremyC said:
Mushishi
Monster
Kaiba
Kino's Journey
Denno Coil

These are amazing series that more people really need to see.

I still consider some of the highest rated series on this site (Mushishi and Monster) to be underrated~
Simply because they aren't more talked about~

U mean they're not very popular, as opposed to underrated =/
personally, all those shows r rated pretty high. I don't think monster, dennou coil or kaiba is popular either, but these 3 didn't hit the spot for me. I thought dennou coil sucked =/, and kaiba/monster to be "fair". I would consider them to b overrated.
Mushishi was great though, and i haven't seen kino's journey

03-21-09, 11:32 PM

nah dx you must be high bro.

I'm only 11 eps in on Monster but it's already amazing. And Kaiba...well I find a lot of people can't get past the weird artwork and unique (and also weird) storyline, but to me it was excellent.

At least me and dx both agree on Mushishi. ;D
But I wouldn't consider it underrated, nor Monster.
Underrated doesn't refer to the popularity of the series in a direct sense - it refers to the rating of an anime. Monster and Mushishi are in the top 15, definitely not underrated.

It's interesting comparing MALs top anime to anidb's top anime. Denno Coil is ranked 25 or something on anidb, but here it's about 85. And like Ouran High School Host Club is 17 here but 60 something on anidb.

03-22-09, 12:06 AM

tbh, a lot of people bash death note and say monster is better as a psychological anime... but death note sure does a lot better than monster in conveying the thoughts of the characters. Monster introduces a lot of twisted logic that takes truckloads of effort to get ur mind across, if the logic even makes sense at all. Whereas in death note, all the character's actions made sense... up until when light gives the other guy the death note that is.
(lunge: hmmm, i have become doctor tohma. I keep on going on about johanne. So where would i be. OH YEAH! i would be next to this old rich guy that i have no relation with supposing that this johanne person is actually myself.)

Kaiba's artwork (i felt) was just bad. People say it was artistic but in my mind those people were either just fans of the show or just wanted to look intelligent by making people think they're seeing something that others can't see that really isnt there. The story is great... is what i would say if i could get my head around the conclusion, hence i would just leave the story at "good". After i finished watching it, i pretty much liked the stories before the main storyline more (chronica and the old lady and vanilla and whatnot).

03-22-09, 2:49 AM

dxthegreat said:
tbh, a lot of people bash death note and say monster is better as a psychological anime... but death note sure does a lot better than monster in conveying the thoughts of the characters. Monster introduces a lot of twisted logic that takes truckloads of effort to get ur mind across, if the logic even makes sense at all. Whereas in death note, all the character's actions made sense... up until when light gives the other guy the death note that is.
(lunge: hmmm, i have become doctor tohma. I keep on going on about johanne. So where would i be. OH YEAH! i would be next to this old rich guy that i have no relation with supposing that this johanne person is actually myself.)

Kaiba's artwork (i felt) was just bad. People say it was artistic but in my mind those people were either just fans of the show or just wanted to look intelligent by making people think they're seeing something that others can't see that really isnt there. The story is great... is what i would say if i could get my head around the conclusion, hence i would just leave the story at "good". After i finished watching it, i pretty much liked the stories before the main storyline more (chronica and the old lady and vanilla and whatnot).

Well I haven't seen enough of Monster to compare it to Death Note, but at the moment I seriously can't see that many similarities between the two anyway. Like, Death Note is not as serious (i mean death note is serious, but it looks like a nice sunny day next to monster) and less realistic (in terms of characters). However as you say dx, the insight into the characters in DN is much more.
But then again, from what I gather so far, Monster is only focusing on Tenma, and hence only delves into his thoughts.
And SO far in Monster everything is making complete sense...though as I said I can't say whether it will continue to.

And with Kaiba I don't fall into the category of "looking intelligent" or "fans of the show". I like the show, but it's definitely not one of my favourites.
The art to me was very creative and it suited the whole style of the show. It wasn't necessarily attractive like other new anime, however it did its job well.

03-22-09, 5:09 AM

Baccano!

Short and sweet.

03-22-09, 9:28 AM

Sexy Commando is unpopular and underrated anime.

04-21-09, 2:53 PM

Saikano:
the heaviest drama I've seen that appearantly didn't fell well with some viewers

04-21-09, 3:35 PM

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora

only 6 eps but i thought it was pretty decent =)

04-21-09, 9:14 PM

Hyakko.

04-22-09, 1:21 AM

aswani said:
Saikano:
the heaviest drama I've seen that appearantly didn't fell well with some viewers

mm i happen to be one of those people it didn't settle well with
as full of drama as it is, they laid it wayy too thick, sure it did bring me to tears but the way the story progressed didn't please me, the repetitiveness of the dialogue didn't help much either

but looking back on it, it does deserve higher than that 7 i gave it :P

but onto one of my favorite dramas
Bokura Ga ita
an excellent slice of life anime a really nice light drama
one of it's best points are that the characters are easy to relate to, you can understand what they did and for what reason
it shows the ups and downs of their relationship perfectly and gives a nice glimpse of the support characters reactions

it made me start reading manga again(well this and Nana <3)

major downside is the anime has a great ending however it was fairly easy to notice a cliffhanger, and a really strong one at that
luckily enough the manga picks it up perfectly : D, you don't even have to read up on the manga before getting to where you are in the anime, it follows it almost entirely word for word

i highly recommend this anime to anyone who likes slice of life anime : P

06-30-09, 1:30 PM

bump

06-30-09, 11:13 PM

My example would be the Area 88 OVA.

I liked the TV series, though I had a few issues with it, mostly with the character development, but the OVA was superior in almost every way. I loved the animation and the attention to detail when each plane was shot down caught my attention, despite the OVA being 20 years old. The characters were also great, from main characters Shin and Mickey to the love interest Ryoko (Yoko in the ADV dub) and the main antagonist Kanzaki, who in particular was a intelligent, yet vicious character. Finally, I loved the story because I thought it did a great job at telling a war story which focuses more on the psychological decline of the main character from pacifist to soldier than the war itself, though it's briefly explained and was an interesting explanation.

Granted, the OVA isn't completely flawless as the character designs were inferior to the 2004 series and the dub had a few problems. I felt Yoko's dub voice was too high pitched for her character and some of Shin's line felt awkwardly delivered, but those are minor problems and can be skipped altogether. Overall, it's the best anime I've seen so far and I'm glad I got it on DVD for my birthday. Yet I don't understand the scathing review it got from some guy who gave it a 2.
Modified by whatuser990, 07-01-09, 1:19 PM

07-05-09, 8:48 PM

Black Cat

If you've watched or read it you'll know why.

08-20-09, 7:49 AM

kaiba
mindgame
flcl
monster
berserk
terra e
legend of the galactic heroes
hmmm?

Pages (3) -2 -1 [0] 1 2 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices