Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 12, 2013 9:58 PM

Jul 2011
Wait I'm a little confused as to why everyone's calling the monk inari?
I guess it's possible that he's the reincarnated (original) Myoue but I was thinking that [new]Koto was [new]Myoues dad instead of Inari.

but that's just based off of the scene in ONA episode when Koto talks about the beginning and the end just like the [old]Myoue told to[new]Myoue in the dream flashback this episode.

also, damn! Why everybody gotta have the same freaking name?!

[EDIT: actually, Seeing Inari being refereed to as a fox and the rumours of [old]Myoue being half fox or something like that.. maybe both him and [new]koto are the monk
samspot8r8sOct 12, 2013 10:24 PM
Oct 13, 2013 12:41 AM

Mar 2013
So much things happened in this ep and also a few confusing parts, that my brain almost couldn't process it all in a chronological order...
This is indeed very interesting, will continue to watch more of it.
5/5
Oct 13, 2013 2:42 PM

Jul 2012
Yay! Loved it already. It's great to see this show with slower pacing and better explanations. I'm very curious to see all of the characters. Also, who's the girl that was making out with [new] Myoue?
Oct 13, 2013 2:48 PM

Aug 2008
samspot8r8s said:
Wait I'm a little confused as to why everyone's calling the monk inari?
I guess it's possible that he's the reincarnated (original) Myoue but I was thinking that [new]Koto was [new]Myoues dad instead of Inari.

but that's just based off of the scene in ONA episode when Koto talks about the beginning and the end just like the [old]Myoue told to[new]Myoue in the dream flashback this episode.

also, damn! Why everybody gotta have the same freaking name?!

[EDIT: actually, Seeing Inari being refereed to as a fox and the rumours of [old]Myoue being half fox or something like that.. maybe both him and [new]koto are the monk

I don't know if "Myoue" is his real name, but with this episode (and after watching the ONA 4), it seems that Myoue is a title. In buddhism, when someone becomes a monk, he/she will be given a new name or "title" ( I don't know if it's really like this in japan, but I think it works in the same way). And that's how Yakushimaru became the new "Myoue". So "Inari" is maybe his real name or maybe a title or maybe someone else. But I don't think Koto is his "dad". No matter how I like at it, Koto is a girl, and it looks like Myoue will develop romantic feeling for her.
Oct 13, 2013 4:38 PM

Feb 2013
Pretty nice intro to some actual story. I was hoping it would keep the pace/chaos of the ONA... it didn't, but I still liked it.
Oct 13, 2013 9:45 PM

Jun 2012
Well this certainly made a lot more sense than episode 0, which I thought would give me some background.

Oct 14, 2013 2:23 PM

Feb 2010
This is great. I've seen the original OVA, but I think I should watch the ONA's since I enjoyed this so much.

The art, colors, ost, and characters were just fantastic. This is right up my alley.
Oct 14, 2013 7:08 PM

Apr 2012
boring for me, have fun watching it. I won't continue ^^
Oct 15, 2013 6:50 AM

Jul 2010
Stunning visuals. And story is making sense now.
Oct 15, 2013 11:39 PM

Jun 2013
itsTriz said:
So much things happened in this ep and also a few confusing parts, that my brain almost couldn't process it all in a chronological order...
This is indeed very interesting, will continue to watch more of it.
5/5

It really sounds like you watched episode 0 or the ONA, because this first episode made sure everything happened in chronological order...
Oct 17, 2013 7:55 AM

Sep 2012
Finally we get to see an account of the back story of the three siblings who are shown having a meeting in ep.0 and who is the "Koto" mother they are referring to.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 19, 2013 5:05 AM

Mar 2008
Looks like I found my favorite anime of this season.
Everything is great - visuals, sounds, story is interesting (though not sure in which direction it is heading), also it does make sense (was afraid that I'd just be all over the place, glad this isn't the case).
Oh and it reminds me of Tatami Galaxy :o)
Oct 25, 2013 10:35 PM

May 2012
I did not understand episode 1 at all, can someone explain what happend?
Oct 29, 2013 11:59 PM

Feb 2009
HUGE improvement on the shitty 00 episode. This show has my attention now.
Nov 2, 2013 11:56 PM

Jun 2012
Wow, I'm surprised at how much more I enjoyed this than the OVA/ONAs. Came in expecting random happy-go-lucky fun. I'm amazed at how good it was while becoming so much more serious. I actually hope it keeps like this... reminds me vaguely of FLCL, with a mysterious girl hunting someone across galaxies/dimensions and the utter randomness, while occasionally becoming serious. I wouldn't mind some of the randomness from before, but I definitely hope it keeps this seriousness as well.
Nov 6, 2013 7:55 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

While not following the ONA, this did not alter with the beginning of the animated series, which has already given from the start, with this first episode test to be quite clear as texture. Although the story was funny, I had a feeling of sadness in certain situations.
Character special design and color design are really nice kit from the story, which is quite smooth. : D
I hope it proves a production with a certain thickness!
Belle also the BGM! * _ *
For now I'll stop on a 4/5 as a vote! ^ _ ^
Nov 15, 2013 1:06 PM

Sep 2011
that was freaking great, im so entertained by the creativity and how colorful this is, the music is fantastic and the op and ed songs are phenominal

I'm a bit saddened that this is only 10 episodes but it looks like this is going to be a series im going to really enjoy

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 23, 2013 1:50 PM
Mar 2009
Ok...I think I figured out the episode topic I should be in now... which means the episode I watched before this was probably some kind of recap or from the OVA/ONA.

So, having not watched the OVA/ONA/specials or whatever, I really did like this setup. Just a bit confused on what happened to the original Myoe/their dad. And I thought nothing grows or dies, but the three of them have clearly grown, but the girl Yakushimaru likes didn't seem to grow much at all.

I wonder if MC Koto has something to do with the Shrine that wanted Myoe out.

And this all started with Myoe's ability to make his drawings come to life right? That's some crazy drugs there.
Nov 30, 2013 6:41 AM

Jul 2007
Well count me in. This so far is the only new show this season worth watching, from what I have seen.

10/10
Dec 3, 2013 2:29 AM

Apr 2013
A little confusing but many elements are made clear in this episode.

Intriguing, will keep watching!
Powerful eyebrows.
Jan 12, 2014 1:14 AM

Oct 2012
I don't understand a thing
Well... pretty fun but I'm pretty confused now @_@

Edit :
Oh, the thing I just watched it's ep 0.. That's why I don't understand a thing
I couldn't get enough of Yase's eyes xD
Rayl1ghtJan 12, 2014 3:40 AM
"Signature removed"
Jan 16, 2014 9:33 AM

May 2012
Pretty nice first episode to be honest but I have to say this has a totally different atmosphere around it than the ONA/OVA's and well I kinda like this as well plus the interesting backstory was lovely as well!
Jan 19, 2014 6:45 PM

Jan 2012
100x better than ova/ep00

looks very promising... I thought it was gonna be just some retarded random shit like FLCL..

Shit better not be wasting my time like 99% of anime coming out nowadays..
Jul 2, 2014 9:33 PM

May 2014
Oh. My. God. I already know I am going to love this. It reminds me of FLCL and I absolutely treasure that anime.
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
Dec 14, 2014 6:42 PM

Aug 2014
I don't understand a single damn thing in this episode.

But I enjoyed every second of it so that's fine, I guess. >_>
Jan 8, 2015 6:21 PM

Feb 2013
So that's how Koto got that hammer. Things are starting to kinda make sense.
Jan 11, 2015 11:42 AM

Mar 2013
Just one episode and I already love this anime. Soundtrack, art, and the characters are fun to watch. What a kickass ED song too.
Jan 23, 2015 8:53 PM

Jun 2014
I am so happy I picked up this show! Ive been putting it off (since it came out it seems, didn't even realize its only like a little over a year old)
I'm so happy this amazing little series is getting a story and background and it still rocking the amazing color!

Also little Koto is the freaking cutest. I want one.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Aug 20, 2015 2:33 PM

Nov 2013
Wow that was a great first episode. The visuals in this anime are beautiful so far.

The ending song is rlly good!!
Dec 25, 2016 6:04 AM

Jun 2016
dat shot composition
10/1
Apr 28, 2017 12:55 PM

Jun 2013
Such a densely packed episode. I had to look it over a second time to get some of the details right. For example, Yakushimaru has blue eyes, and O.G. Myoue has red eyes, but otherwise they look almost exactly the same as adults.

All that I really feel like I know is the family we were introduced to, and I'm guessing the scientists are the ones who oversee the world lines, but everything else is a mystery.
LeeTailorApr 28, 2017 1:02 PM
Aug 5, 2017 3:32 PM

Dec 2015
This made zero fucking sense.
Dec 16, 2017 6:18 AM

Feb 2015
It was weird and messy. I'm not sure if I liked or disliked it.
3/5
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Mar 7, 2018 10:30 PM

Aug 2012
Haven't seen any other Kyousou Giga stuff so I was a little surprised to see how much comments in this thread expressed familiarity with the story, guess I should've paid more attention to the series page before starting but it doesn't seem like I missed anything pertinent to understanding, cause this was pretty straight-forward (really weird mind you, but understandable) and I loved it. I mostly wanted to watch this because of Rie Matsumoto's involvement, loved her work on Kekkai Sensen, and in terms of visual direction, Kyousou Giga did not disappoint. The crazy banana world of the Looking Glass provided some colorful and bizarre visual spectacle (especially in Koto's appearance), there were a few of those fun choices (the word Love over that Rose/flower near the beginning in the first chapter), and the shot composition had some really beautiful moments (Myoue Elder & Koto Rabbit's decision to leave moment was fantastic). Myoue's dislike of the Looking Glass and it's particular rules and set-up, as well as the focus on familial love, do lay the ground work for some interesting thematic purview's, so it'll be interesting watch to see if those threads roll out as the series continues.
Aug 8, 2018 9:59 AM

Apr 2015
On EP3 now but anyway this was simply instant love.

If I like the rest anywhere close to the opening episodes it's straight to the top end of my favourites.

I even like the OP/ED. That's coming from a chronic song skipper.
Jul 10, 2019 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
Yep, this show's a keeper!

I don't regret watching the OVA, but the TV series makes a lot more sense now that I've watched it. The story is really interesting, and I love the concept of having siblings that aren't human. That and Koto (the rabbit) + Inari are my new OTP. I'm getting strange nostalgia vibes from the ED.

It looks like next episode we'll be seeing Koto's backstory, can't wait!
Aug 1, 2019 3:22 PM

Aug 2013
Oh god. After just finishing my rewatch of Evangelion and starting this show, hearing Kaworu's voice right off the bat was a shock to the system. lmao
Feb 19, 2020 12:35 AM

Oct 2019
I don't understand a thing??? What's going on
Mar 2, 2020 5:29 AM
Oct 2017
Fuzzylumpkins said:

Are you sure you watched episode 1 and not episode 0? Episode 0 is just the OVA that came out years before the TV series. It, frankly, is not supposed to make much sense and just be a display of chaos and concept. The TV series just slap it in as episode 0.

Episode 1 is simple enough, A monk who has the ability to create life from drawings was feared by people in the village. A rabbit he drew to be the god of a city he created on paper had a crush on him and a bodhisattva helped by letting the rabbit borrows her human-shaped body. The two live together and eventually adopted some children. But then the family weren't allowed to live there anymore and they chose to all go live in the city the monk created.

They lived there happily but with the bodhisattva power in her, the rabbit sensed a bad premonition will happen to the city. Both the monk and the rabbit decided to leave to deal with this and left their children there who awaited their return. After several hundred years someone enter the hidden city for the first time but it wasn't their parent. Instead it's a girl named Koto, same as their rabbit parent.
Mar 2, 2020 5:36 AM

Oct 2019
Niello said:
Fuzzylumpkins said:

Are you sure you watched episode 1 and not episode 0? Episode 0 is just the OVA that came out years before the TV series. It, frankly, is not supposed to make much sense and just be a display of chaos and concept. The TV series just slap it in as episode 0.

Episode 1 is simple enough, A monk who has the ability to create life from drawings was feared by people in the village. A rabbit he drew to be the god of a city he created on paper had a crush on him and a bodhisattva helped by letting the rabbit borrows her human-shaped body. The two live together and eventually adopted some children. But then the family weren't allowed to live there anymore and they chose to all go live in the city the monk created.

They lived there happily but with the bodhisattva power in her, the rabbit sensed a bad premonition will happen to the city. Both the monk and the rabbit decided to leave to deal with this and left their children there who awaited their return. After several hundred years someone enter the hidden city for the first time but it wasn't their parent. Instead it's a girl named Koto, same as their rabbit parent.

Just realised I watched episode 0. Lol whoops! Must have gotten it mixed up. Thanks for the help and extra explanation!
Mar 2, 2020 6:29 AM
Oct 2017
Fuzzylumpkins said:

Just realised I watched episode 0. Lol whoops! Must have gotten it mixed up. Thanks for the help and extra explanation!

No worries. It's a very common mistake...and probably the highest reason that turned people away from the series.

I hope you enjoy the real story. Also, feel free to ask any questions.
May 18, 2020 1:56 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
It looked very pretty but it was a little confusing with the dump of information. I’m intrigued to see more.
Sep 6, 2020 9:20 PM

Oct 2015
I am in utter awe with this first episode right now. Good shit
Sep 29, 2020 2:07 PM
Jul 2013
Festival of imagination. Absolutely great, lives up to the madness of previous adaptations.
Oct 1, 2020 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
A bit confusing but it has a magical art style and soundtrack
Nov 26, 2020 12:36 PM

Aug 2017
Watched ep. 1 without anything like specials/recaps/older ONAs, great stuff. Very vivid colors, interesting shot composition, and a lot of symbolic things that I'm eager to decypher!

"Koto" means "ancient city/former capital", funny

"Kawaii koto" - now that's a nice pun. I have a suspicion that Koto and Koto (lol) are somehow connected. Is the rabbit Koto the "guardian" of the hammer Koto? And her sensei is probably an alternate dimension version of Myoue - I mean, they even have the same voice.

So, Yakushimaru is the only *real* child, huh. And he's entrusted with the most important role.

The short priest meeting was *amazing*. I got SEELE vibes xD

Koto and Myoue had a strange dialogue while their new city was being introduced which I didn't quite get.

P.S. What's with those animals in the background? A rabbit, a monkey and...a frog? They're certainly from some traditional myths. Chōjū-giga?
St0rmbladeNov 26, 2020 1:27 PM
Jun 22, 2021 4:19 AM

May 2020
Interesting to watch this after watching the all the ONA's. Definitely makes me appreciate the world of the ONA's much more.

Coming after the ONA's,it also clears up a lot of my confusions. Although I'm guessing that there are going to be some changes from the continuity of the ONA's.
Dec 1, 2022 7:46 PM

Apr 2016
That was undeniably interesting, there's stuff that intrigued me as there is stuff that I felt went over my head, it seems to be some allegory about building up a family and the importance one gives to their partner meanwhile there is something about society expectations.

Let's see how this unfold.
Feb 17, 11:18 PM

Nov 2022
Looks like my anime randomizer has led me to a quite an artsy one this time. This episode alone felt like an entire movie happened. Really looking forward to the next 9 episodes.
Today, 6:09 AM

May 2020
After watching ep 0 and now go on this, i think a bit understand about the story. Still out of the blue, need to watch another episode.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

136 by sharosharo »»
Today, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2013

66 by sharosharo »»
Today, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2013

61 by sharosharo »»
Today, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2013

65 by sharosharo »»
Today, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2013

87 by sharosharo »»
Today, 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.