Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2013 9:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I haven't played the games before but this seems like an interesting start. WANTED.
The OP song is alright I guess.

The OST is decent enough and Ragna seems pretty badass. I'm not too used to his voice yet though. Some pretty violent stuff going on in this episode as well and that cliffhanger.
Oct 8, 2013 10:05 AM

Apr 2013
I've only played the games for a couple months now, but the anime is following the Calamity Trigger storyline pretty good so far.

This show has a nice list of talented voice actors. Especially Tomokazu Sugita as Ragna and Yuuichi Nakamura as Hazama. OST is similar to the game, so no complaints on that. Animation could be way better... I like the OP and the ED is alright.
MillsOct 8, 2013 12:15 PM
Oct 8, 2013 10:19 AM

Sep 2012
I have a feeling that those who has not played the game (like me) would find things going too fast and not clear.

Also the OP seems not finished as it just recycles scenes from the main part.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 8, 2013 10:22 AM
Dec 2012
OK episode. That blonde chick a bit reminded me of Shinku from Rozen Maiden.
Oct 8, 2013 10:25 AM

Mar 2011
So yeah, I havent watched the episode yet but from Im hearing in other forums the animation quality is pure shit, is it true?
Oct 8, 2013 10:41 AM

Apr 2013
Raziel1991 said:
So yeah, I havent watched the episode yet but from Im hearing in other forums the animation quality is pure shit, is it true?

Not complete garbage, but it is pretty bad imo lol. I didn't expect much from a smaller name production team though.
Oct 8, 2013 11:41 AM

Sep 2011
Raziel1991 said:
yah its really shitty, you could tell from the images they released and the pv that this would suck. I knew that going into it so i can at least enjoy parts of it from a fan of the game's standpoint.

I mean its not like this could have been that good to start with, its only adapting calamity trigger which wasnt that good a story. Dont get me wrong i really like BB's story, but thats cause of continuum shift, calamity trigger is kind of a mess story wise, it was fun as hell though and the characters were likable from the start

id give this a episode a 2/5 for being pretty messy but i honestly enjoyed it like a 4/5 just cause i already know what happens and this is just something to hold me over until chronophantasma comes out. only good thing i really thought this anime could do was have some cool animated fights if someone like production ig did it butthats clearly not happening with this animation studio, but hey they are still doing a hell of alot better than whoever animated continuum shift's cutscenes
JizzyHitlerOct 8, 2013 11:49 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 8, 2013 11:58 AM

Mar 2011
I just watched the episode without subs, and yeah you guys are pretty much right, the animation is really pure shit, I laughed my ass off with Jins ice sword projectile. And Hakumens art design is downright terrible. Also the story going waaaaay too fast. They already covered like 80% of CT reconstruction and it will pretty much certainly cover Continuum Shift,
Raziel1991Oct 8, 2013 12:11 PM
Oct 8, 2013 12:08 PM

Sep 2011
oh shit i may start hating this anime soon after paying attention to the ending theme, why the hell did they show

oh no, oh fuck no, oh fuck this is going to adapt continuum shift isnt it, i dont care if they fuck up calamity trigger cause its already pretty fucked up itself but continuum shift was actually a good story with some fights that deserve good animation.

Raziel1991 said:
I just watched the episode without subs, and yeah you guys are pretty much right, the animation is really pure shit, I laughed my ass off with Jins ice sword projectile. And Hakumens art design is downright terrible.
i enjoyed the derppy faces every single character had throughout, as well as rachel and noel's mouths being above where they should actually be

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 8, 2013 12:13 PM

Mar 2011
I liked it because Im a huge fanboy of the game, but from non-biased standpoint its bad.
Oct 8, 2013 12:15 PM

Sep 2011
Raziel1991 said:
I liked it because Im a huge fanboy of the game, but from non-biased standpoint its bad.
oh no thats exactly how i feel, but if this really does go into continuum shift thats going to change bigtime into legit hatred of it, them putting this little effort into Calamity trigger i really dont care for but continuum shift had a actually awesome story, also some fights like

could be amazing if animated by someone else but not by these guys, but on the bright side.....still better animation that gonzo in continuum shift

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Oct 8, 2013 12:33 PM
Sep 2013
Personally I don't give a damn about animation quality its the least of problems with anime, the main issue is weather they go forward with doing Continuum Shift as well because this anime will be bad if they try to put both games' story into 1 cour season.
Oct 8, 2013 12:39 PM

Jul 2012
Next episode is named Successor of the Azure (蒼の後継者). 蒼の後継者 is also the way Calamity Trigger is written in Japanese, so are we done with CT in next episode?
Oct 8, 2013 12:48 PM

Sep 2011
zedar89 said:
Next episode is named Successor of the Azure (蒼の後継者). 蒼の後継者 is also the way Calamity Trigger is written in Japanese, so are we done with CT in next episode?
nah they arent going through calamity trigger in 2 episodes, its probably gonna finish up ragna's story or something then switch to another characters perspective

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Oct 8, 2013 12:51 PM

Mar 2011
zedar89 said:

ROFL, at this pace they will easily reach Chronophantasma with this anime.
Raziel1991Oct 8, 2013 12:57 PM
Oct 8, 2013 1:46 PM
Sep 2013
Raziel1991 said:
I just watched the episode without subs, and yeah you guys are pretty much right, the animation is really pure shit, I laughed my ass off with Jins ice sword projectile. And Hakumens art design is downright terrible. Also the story going waaaaay too fast. They already covered like 80% of CT reconstruction and it will pretty much certainly cover Continuum Shift,

The art is pretty bad indeed, Noel looks pretty different from the game and Hakumen.... WHY . Somehow Ragna's even more rude/darker-ish than in the game like when he yells at Toakaka and Noel for touching his arm. Btw shouldn't he have a bit more control over the azure grimoire? (correct me if I'm wrong I didn't play CT)
The voices are somewhat ok but Hakumen's speech had less impact than I hoped for :(
(on a side note Jin got owned really fast like really really fast....)
Oct 8, 2013 1:52 PM

Apr 2009
It is an adaptation of a fighting game, so one could expect that at least animation and visuals would be relatively decent. But seeing how choppy and ugly it looks like, it's fairly obvious that the budget was tight. Very tight. I didn't have big expectations—even though I had really enjoyed the CT and CS games—and yet the first episode failed to meet even the tiniest ones.

Eh, a major letdown.

Oct 8, 2013 1:55 PM

Mar 2011
KiesEenNaam said:
Raziel1991 said:

The art is pretty bad indeed, Noel looks pretty different from the game and Hakumen.... WHY . Somehow Ragna's even more rude/darker-ish than in the game like when he yells at Toakaka and Noel for touching his arm. Btw shouldn't he have a bit more control over the azure grimoire? (correct me if I'm wrong I didn't play CT)
The voices are somewhat ok but Hakumen's speech had less impact than I hoped for :(
(on a side note Jin got owned really fast like really really fast....)

To be fair Jin was no threat for Ragna in Calamity Trigger but still I do agree the fights were waaaaay too short. Also its true that Ragna had a better control over the azure grimoire in Calamity Trigger, there was only one part in the story where he had problems to control the azure grimoire
Oct 8, 2013 1:57 PM

Apr 2010
Oh god, so much QUALITY. And the episode was terrible, dropped.
Oct 8, 2013 2:00 PM

Aug 2013
I loved it. My only issues were some audio mixing flaws (Funi's fault? Or whoever encoded the thing?), and again, Jin vs. Ragna was too short. Can't wait for next week. Here's hoping for some Makoto or Relius screentime.

Also, these soundtrack remixes are even better than the ones in Chronophantasma. ESPECIALLY Noel's.

EDIT: Also, people complaining about the animation, have we forgotten about this? It could be a shitton worse, y'all.

AsteroidVisionOct 8, 2013 2:13 PM
Oct 8, 2013 2:13 PM

Jan 2012
Not sure what's going on, but atleast there's plenty of action lol.

Oct 8, 2013 2:15 PM

May 2010
first off ..horrible ending song. the animation quality is just shit. the voice actors are pretty good in my opinion so that is a big plus for me.

i played continuum shift alot so i remember all of the characters.

jins ice attacks...WTF!!!!!!! they looked awesome in the game and here he just throws a chunk of ice at ragna..are u kidding me?

2/5
Oct 8, 2013 2:16 PM

Aug 2010
To be honest I expected more :/

It wasn't that bad though.
Some Black cat+Trigun vibes with the Red coat, bounty and artificial arm...etc XD

Lol'd at the bounty derp face XD

Best thing about it is VAs til now. Sugita as main character is nice. It's been a while since he's had an important role. Ueda Kana was nice too.

Ragna's past seems a bit interesting.

Liked the fight against Jin. Ragna kicked his ass with that kick.

Hazama seems intriguing too. Liking the mysteries around him.

Tao was annoying.

And I wonder about Noel and her relation to Ragna?

Loved the OST though.
Barion-ZaraOct 8, 2013 2:20 PM
Oct 8, 2013 2:20 PM

Jun 2011
I came into this with low expectations, and good thing I did xD I've only played CS1 onwards and have sparse knowledge of CT, but this still felt very fast paced and incoherent. I can't even imagine what people who don't know the games at all can understand. But oh well, I've been waiting for an anime for so long, so I'm gonna stick with it to the end. I really wish they stuck with Production I.G. though ._.

Did they remix the BGMs again? Haven't paid attention to the CP OST, aside from Childish Killer II. Anyways, it was pretty weird hearing them during the episode, some of which were incongruous with the scene.

At this rate, it seems like they're gonna be animating CS as well? Makes sense since this anime is just to promote Chrono Phantasma.
Revenant_Oct 8, 2013 2:37 PM
Oct 8, 2013 2:33 PM
Feb 2008
Can't see this being more than just another an average show.

Mar 2011
I really had to post this for the lulz

http://i41.tinypic.com/29w321z.gif

Aug 2013
Kerozinn said:
jins ice attacks...WTF!!!!!!! they looked awesome in the game and here he just throws a chunk of ice at ragna..are u kidding me?

If you're talking about the 'lel so slow' ice sword, that's actually IN THE GAME. They did their homework for this thing.
Oct 8, 2013 2:35 PM

Jul 2011
The source material's plot wasn't that special to begin with, so the only way for this kind of anime to be enjoyable was to have good and flashy animation. Well, they failed in that department. It wasn't complete shit, but it was below average and very choppy.
Oct 8, 2013 2:36 PM

Feb 2011
This was completely awful. The animation was pretty shitty and they tried to cover it up by stuffing the episode full of random plot points from throughout the game, creating awful pacing and completely blocking any buildup that any of the cool parts might have had.

Also, no Ice Car.
Oct 8, 2013 2:37 PM

Jan 2013
I have never played this game and I just started watching because I like Yuuichi Nakamura.... I'm pretty confused at what's going on.
Oct 8, 2013 2:38 PM

Jun 2011
JIN vs RAGNA

Jin: 236C > 66 > 6C
Ragna: 5C
Jin: 5D > jc > j.C
Ragna: 5A
Jin: ?? > 66 > 5CCCC
Ragna: 214A~214D > (623C~236C)~214D

Ragna OP.

Revenant_Oct 8, 2013 2:42 PM
Oct 8, 2013 2:47 PM
Jan 2013
great op song :)
Oct 8, 2013 2:51 PM
Sep 2013
A lot of people are saying the animation is shitty.
I can't watch anime with shitty animation.
I don't feel like watching it so I'm dropping this anime.
Oct 8, 2013 2:53 PM

Aug 2013
Ambient_ said:
JIN vs RAGNA

Jin: 236C > 66 > 6C
Ragna: 5C
Jin: 5D > jc > j.C
Ragna: 5A
Jin: ?? > 66 > 5CCCC
Ragna: 214A~214D > (623C~236C)~214D

Ragna OP.

This is awesome. Thanks for that.
Oct 8, 2013 2:58 PM

Sep 2011
erika4dsl said:
A lot of people are saying the animation is shitty.
I can't watch anime with shitty animation.
I don't feel like watching it so I'm dropping this anime.
ok A your one of the worst type of anime fans to not watch something cause of bad animation, and B: how can you drop something you never started

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Oct 8, 2013 2:58 PM

Apr 2013
kyorika said:
I have never played this game and I just started watching because I like Yuuichi Nakamura.... I'm pretty confused at what's going on.

Even if you played the game, you'd still be confused.
Oct 8, 2013 3:01 PM

Sep 2011
Saiyavenger said:

EDIT: Also, people complaining about the animation, have we forgotten about this? It could be a shitton worse, y'all.

Have yall forgotten about this
it really couldnt have been much worse, i mean continuum shift's anime scenes were awful but at lest they werent this fucking choppy, i mean christ that jin fight had movement with i swear to god less than 10 frames a second. I dont think budget was a problem here i just think the studio behind it cant animate worth shit judging by their previous works

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Oct 8, 2013 3:14 PM

Feb 2012
Lol, since I saw this on fall season chart, I've been looking forward to it, I thought it's going to be something like Fate Zero, but now I'm just lost, the MC guy walking from place to place, and getting jumped by all kinds of characters.

But yeah I agree with @ownosourus there, it has a lot of action, so I'm down with it until the end.
Oct 8, 2013 3:21 PM
Mar 2012
I'm watching because the story because they said the anime is going to have anime original scenes, not the fight actually and I got what I expected.

If I want to see great battle scenes, I'm going to play the game again instead. BlazBlue is pretty much VN with battle included, not the other way around.
Oct 8, 2013 3:26 PM

Aug 2013
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Saiyavenger said:

Have yall forgotten about this
it really couldnt have been much worse, i mean continuum shift's anime scenes were awful but at lest they werent this fucking choppy, i mean christ that jin fight had movement with i swear to god less than 10 frames a second. I dont think budget was a problem here i just think the studio behind it cant animate worth shit judging by their previous works

Easily written off as Jin just being a smug bastard. Just a taunting attack just to get Ragna off his guard, not a real one.

Also, let's be honest, if you're expecting them to blow their load animation-wise ON THE VERY FIRST EPISODE, that's kinda dumb. Save your best for the climax, not the opening.
Oct 8, 2013 3:31 PM

Jun 2011
Saiyavenger said:
Also, let's be honest, if you're expecting them to blow their load animation-wise ON THE VERY FIRST EPISODE, that's kinda dumb. Save your best for the climax, not the opening.

Or both. The first episode is supposed to entice you to keep watching, not turn you off from it.
Oct 8, 2013 3:33 PM

Sep 2011
Saiyavenger said:

you do realize for a large majority of shows the start does get alot of the budget, this episode will probably have some of the best animation in the series and thats really fucking sad, this whole project reaks of laziness at every turn from the choppy animations to art thats so bad that peoples face's seem to morph every time they move

Even if the unlikley happened that they were holding off their budget its still downright inexcusable for the amount of corners they are cutting, even down to not animating a fucking op but rather just taking scenes from the episode and putting them into a order that makes no sense as well as taking scenes from the game and placing them out of order only further complicating a story that was way too complicated in the first place.

Its a shit adaption in just about every right and judging by how its trying to fit both calamity and continuum shift both into 1 cour as well as the animation teams as well as the director's previous works it will likley get much worse from here on out

Ambient_ said:
Saiyavenger said:

Or both. The first episode is supposed to entice you to keep watching, not turn you off from it.
which is why so many shows focus more of their budget into the opening episode, hence why this first episode being so horribly animated has me so excited to see how much worse this can get, hell hazama's rape face will probably make a return but in even worse quality

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Oct 8, 2013 3:34 PM

Jun 2013
It's here and they didn't mess it up!
To those of you who haven't played the games and have no idea whats going on, fear not BlazBlue story was always confusingl. You have to watch the whole thing (or in the game's case beat story mode as all characters) to truly understand whats going on :)
Oct 8, 2013 3:36 PM

Nov 2008
Shit. The animation quality almost want to make me cry...

But the ED was so cool

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Oct 8, 2013 3:37 PM

Mar 2013
Oct 8, 2013 3:39 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That wasn't as good as I expected it to be, to be honest.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 8, 2013 3:40 PM
Mar 2012
Ambient_ said:
Saiyavenger said:

By the way, the BD pre-order rank in Japan is actually increased after this episode aired, not decreased.

Before the episode
***,309位/***,280位 ★ (***,355 pt) [*,**4予約] 13/12/25 13/10 TVアニメーション「BLAZBLUE ALTER MEMORY」第1巻 (初回限定生産版) [Blu-ray]

After the episode
***, * 97 in / ***, # 100 ★ (***, 421 pt) [*, ** 4予約] 13/12/25 13/10 TVアニメーション「BLAZBLUE ALTER MEMORY」第1巻 (初回限定生産版) [Blu-ray]
melina_putriOct 8, 2013 3:50 PM
Oct 8, 2013 3:40 PM

May 2013
Nice episode.
Oct 8, 2013 3:51 PM

Jun 2012
I knew Jin's ice was gonna end up weird. And for being BlazBlue, I definitely expected flashy battles. 'Cause BlazBlue.

Probably like everyone else, wishing I.G. had done the adaption.
Tutturu ~
Oct 8, 2013 3:59 PM

Apr 2010
Nothing special to me, but still I like the characters, I really want to see the story of Blazblue before playing the games.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » BlazBlue: Alter Memory Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2013

68 by Spygecko »»
Aug 11, 2023 6:09 AM

Poll: » BlazBlue: Alter Memory Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2013

39 by Vindicater »»
Apr 5, 2023 5:09 AM

Poll: » BlazBlue: Alter Memory Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2013

34 by Vindicater »»
Jul 13, 2022 7:01 PM

Poll: » BlazBlue: Alter Memory Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2013

33 by Vindicater »»
Jul 11, 2022 4:46 AM

Poll: » BlazBlue: Alter Memory Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2013

34 by Vindicater »»
Jul 8, 2022 7:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.