Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 8, 2014 7:39 PM

Mar 2014
cupc said:
The new twist of Misato being angry to Shinji was natural, Shinji did destroy the world 14 years ago. It may have felt like a moment to us, to them it has been over a decade.

Wasn't Misato cheering Shinji on when he initiated 3rd impact in 2.0, though? And even if we're ignoring that, Misato was always a supportive mother figure to Shinji. If something happened to make such a 180 turn in her character, then we need to be shown it. Not doing so is poor storytelling at best.

Furthermore, it's not just basic character motivations that make no sense, but also basic things like "why haven't the Eva pilots aged" or "why are Misato, Asuka, Ritskuo, etc fighting against Nerv now?". How can the audience be expected to believe any of this when we are given no explanation whatsoever?

There is a big difference between a mindfuck (End of Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain) and poorly explaining your plot and characters. 3.0 just wasted so much time, and you really can't do that with a 90 minute movie.
Sep 28, 2014 5:49 AM
Jan 2014
Aenglaan said:
cupc said:
The new twist of Misato being angry to Shinji was natural, Shinji did destroy the world 14 years ago. It may have felt like a moment to us, to them it has been over a decade.

Wasn't Misato cheering Shinji on when he initiated 3rd impact in 2.0, though? And even if we're ignoring that, Misato was always a supportive mother figure to Shinji. If something happened to make such a 180 turn in her character, then we need to be shown it. Not doing so is poor storytelling at best.

Furthermore, it's not just basic character motivations that make no sense, but also basic things like "why haven't the Eva pilots aged" or "why are Misato, Asuka, Ritskuo, etc fighting against Nerv now?". How can the audience be expected to believe any of this when we are given no explanation whatsoever?

There is a big difference between a mindfuck (End of Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain) and poorly explaining your plot and characters. 3.0 just wasted so much time, and you really can't do that with a 90 minute movie.

Because it's supposed to put you in Shinji's shoes...cause he doesn't know WTF is happening either.

I mean come on, Shinji was asleep for 14 years, he doesn't know it was 14 years since he and Asuka haven't aged, and the most important thing...NO ONE TELLS HIM WTF IF GOING ON AND WHY THEY ARE FIGHTING NERV IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I felt bad for the guy during the film...like shit if I was in his shoes, I probably would've done the same damn thing that he did during the movie. XD

From a personal view: 10/10 brings back original feels of mind fucks from EoE

From critical view: ???/10 since it will all depend how 4.0 plays everything out... looking forward to it!!!
Sep 28, 2014 8:48 AM

Aug 2013
sgtnanners said:
Those who left 3.0 thinking it was bad just because it was confusing should read this perspective.

http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/02/10/once-more-with-fury-rebuilding-evangelion/

How much of this that is actually true is really left up to interpretation, but damn is this argument well defended. It only strengthens my opinion that Anno is one of the most brilliant minds the industry has ever seen.

Fantastic article.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Feb 18, 2015 7:26 AM

Jul 2014
All I see when people review this poorly is "didn't answer my questions/added new questions" and "characters do things that don't make sense". It's like they forgot they are watching EVA or something. Maybe it's the long wait time between films.

Personally, I had trouble with 2.22 because the departure from the original story was bothering me and I was worried that the story wouldn't end up in a place that was worth deviating from the original so much. A lot of times it rubs me the wrong way and makes me experience cognitive dissonance when a remake of a series I love has significant differences in the plot. Because of this, I was kind of let down at the beginning of 3.33 and just couldn't believe it had deviated so far but that was just Anno trying to make the viewer experience the same confusion as Shinji.

The idea of learning the ins and outs of two different versions of the same story usually kind of bothers me but after seeing 3.33 I am totally okay with making room in my mind for two wildly different incarnations of Eva.
Feb 20, 2015 1:18 PM

Jul 2014
Aenglaan said:
cupc said:

Furthermore, it's not just basic character motivations that make no sense, but also basic things like "why haven't the Eva pilots aged" or "why are Misato, Asuka, Ritskuo, etc fighting against Nerv now?". How can the audience be expected to believe any of this when we are given no explanation whatsoever? .

Misato was a nurturing mother figure to Shinji because doing so was in line with her goal of preventing another impact. By 3.0, pretty much any reason for her to continue on like she was has evaporated. In 2.0 she is only seen cheering him on until until she grasps the situation, then her attitude clearly changes as the scene begins to look a lot like second impact and the memories come flooding back. "Wings?! Just like 15 years ago!"

At this point and especially after 14 years, I don't really think there is any more explanation required for Misato's change in attitude toward shinji.

Regarding how the Eva pilots haven't aged, Asuka says "curse of Eva". In two instances, Ritsuko mentions that when pilots achieve a high pug depth, their very humanity is endangered. Shinji, Asuka & Mari all have achieved high plug depth at different points in the series/movies.

It should be obvious why Wille is fighting against Nerv....to prevent an impact from ever happening again which will be expanded upon further in the next film.
watFeb 20, 2015 1:32 PM
Jul 26, 2015 11:56 AM

Nov 2014
I thought this was the best movie out of all of the them, and even better than the series.
Jul 28, 2015 12:47 AM

Dec 2011
sgtnanners said:
Those who left 3.0 thinking it was bad just because it was confusing should read this perspective.

http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/02/10/once-more-with-fury-rebuilding-evangelion/

How much of this that is actually true is really left up to interpretation, but damn is this argument well defended. It only strengthens my opinion that Anno is one of the most brilliant minds the industry has ever seen.

This is brilliant. The strongest defense of NGE and it's rebuild... but not one I entirely agree with. Because while NGE may have been speaking on a much deeper level about the anime-nation, and the rebuild to those NGE fans who stayed obtusely in their fantasy, the movie is still shit and confusing as shit.

What's worse is that there are people who think 3.0 is actually good, the best even. Stripped down of anything remotely deep, removed from the things that make NGE special, and they say it's all that they ever wanted. What NGE should have been. It's a spectacle filled with tv tropes and people like it. As someone who enjoyed NGE for its amazing characterization and lesson in personal relations, hearing that people liked 3.0 makes me sick.

But this article at least helps me understand why 3.0 is so bad... Even makes me happy knowing this defilement of Evangelion could have been done on purpose.

But if Hideki Anno wanted to send such a message, there could have been a better way. Just scrap the robots entirely and make Eva a romantic harem. That's what everyone says it should be. So give the broken boy his broken harem, pursue romance (and one homoerotic fantasy) and tell everyone straight to their face that these people are broken and shouldn't be fantasized about. And then close the curtains with a traumatic ending about everyone having an Oedipus complex... Okay, sorry, anger. Must calm anger.

I'm sorry, but as convincing an argument as that article is, it cannot justify the many, many flaws 3.0 has.
Aug 3, 2015 5:23 PM

May 2015
I thought it was good

Aug 7, 2015 10:52 PM

Nov 2014
It was pointless addition to the franchise. Also very questionable boys love vibes.

Nov 8, 2015 9:01 AM

Jan 2013
Really enjoyed it, but I guess that's just my "shit" taste.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 8, 2016 9:46 PM

Jun 2013
Yeah, all sense was thrown out the window. It's fun to watch for the "wtf" factor though... but it's not necessarily the good kind of wtf.

EoE = good wtf
3.0 = bad wtf
Mar 7, 2016 2:44 AM

Nov 2012
In 2.0, Shinji started getting out a little more. Rei seemed to be in love with him. Asuka seemed to be in love with him! He fell on Mari's tits! And he wanted to fight in the robot! It gave all the non-Evangelion fans what they wanted - a generic anime with high production values and the complexity of lore that is as well regarded as Evangelion.

In other words, these guys wanted Sword Art Online, but didn't want to admit they wanted such lowest common denominator trash, so they had to turn to something with a little more depth. Then 3.0 came and took away the SAO from the Evangelion and everyone was like FUCK WHERE'S THE SAO IN MY EVANGELION, except they didn't want to admit they wanted their SAO, so they resorted to saying 3.0 sucks.

True story.
Apr 9, 2016 5:56 PM
Mar 2016
I just saw all 3 new releases of the films...

ich am blown away....so good!

But please guys, the ending of the 3.33....is it really that cliff hanging purpose for this whole "interpretation" stuff??
Or am i missing something out!?

Don't get me wrong...nothing wrong with: Use your F*ucking imagination und stuff...but tha's really it?
I must admit, I just saw the 2 new releases...but do i get any kind of more info when i got back to the serie or older movies? LN Mangas!?

i little conclusion would be cool, for my beauty sleep.

BUT STILL...one.great.masterpiece.

i loved it so mich!
Apr 9, 2016 6:29 PM

Jul 2015
@shiva88

Nothing from the original universe that I'm aware of will help you understand 3.33 better than waiting until the last movie.
Apr 10, 2016 3:18 AM
Mar 2016
@DigiTempus

Ok thanks for the response!
Apr 10, 2016 3:20 AM
Mar 2016
besides I hear a lot of BS when it comes to 4.0...YES it will be releases in 2015...NO it will not appear any more...

Is there some helpfull Info about that whole term?
Apr 10, 2016 8:47 AM

Jul 2015
@shiva88

4.0 was supposed to be released a long time ago, from what I heard Anno was really strict with the English Dub of 3.33 wanting it to be "really good" and now he's also working on Godzilla Resurgence, so we probably won't see 4.0 at least until after the Godzilla hype is done and over with.

Last year he posted about working on Godzilla on April 1st, this year, same day he posts about Godzilla vs. Evangelion so I'm going to assume that's real too unless he's just being a huge douchebag, which actually wouldn't surprise me.

Tl;dr 4.0 is a mystery, he keeps doing other things.
Apr 10, 2016 10:36 AM
Mar 2016
well ooookay....douchebag describes it pretty accurate ^^

Thanks!
Sep 1, 2021 6:34 PM
Jul 2021
Idk im watching it right now and it seems like the best one so far imo lol
The first two jump from battle to battle basically and jump to Shinji crying or complaining about not wanting to pilot anymore which is just miserable tbh he really ruins them by just being an unbearable brat that you almost want to fail just so you don't have to see him again.

3 he seems at least a little more competent and not just crying all the time.

The over all problem that I see people bring up with 3.0 and some reason not with the other 2 is that he isn't just told what's going on. idk what other movies they watched but he and us are literally never told anything about what's going on lol. No one seems to understand anything about the world they are living in or what's going on at any given time and certainly never tells the important characters any useful information.

Like we are never told about the 1st impact and very little about the 2nd, or why the world is really the way it is, what the angels want really, where they come from randomly, 3rd movie we find out there are normal weapons that can kill angels yet they wasted billions on ammo and such in the first 2 movies instead of just building a few of those super turrets lol "its powered by eva's" okay power them with the 3 evas and just watch the angels melt miles away. was a few times where the evas started to or actually turned in to angels, nothing really ever said about that or questioned why lol it was just kind of accepted.

really everyone is quite incompetent which is really believable considering people in our own world lol but it'd be nice if some of them had any idea what was going on and let the rest of us in on it.

But honestly despite all that 3.0 is easily the best one imo you get less fighting which is probably why the meat heads dislike it as ever other 10 mins is a huge battle sequence in the first 2 filled with insane amounts of guns uselessly shooting for 10-15 mins and kids not being told anything and leroy jenkins-ing into fights. I accidently started 4.0/3.33+1.11 before i went back and re-watched the first 3 and it also seemed like it was pretty good im guessing 3 or 4 are likely the best.
caaboose88Sep 1, 2021 6:37 PM
Sep 5, 2021 7:40 AM

Dec 2015
So is Evangelion 3.0 really that bad?

- Yes.
Sep 13, 2021 8:46 PM
Aug 2021
What are these "jarring character changes" people speak of? Everyone has always treated Shinji like shit. Nothing new this time around.
Sep 28, 2021 10:15 PM

Nov 2018
No, not at all, and far from that; at least not in my opinion. I just rewatched it while asking myself why I thought it was excellent the first time I saw it. When the end credits began rolling, I remembered and understood why.
Oct 11, 2021 6:01 PM
Oct 2021
Im a die hard evangelion fan but I didnt like how the rebuild version ended. In comparison with TV show, rebuild is way faster-paced sometimes is good and others is just not. The essence of the show is the self-reflection but in order to achieve that you need to give breath and space to the audience/public so we can digest whats going on. Dont get me wrong, I really liked the first 2 rebuild movies but thats it. The third movie forward it completely change the structure of Evangelion, the beauty this anime was that everything fit on a certain logic but from the third movie forward all the universe that Eva was built is gone to give a space for more giant robo battles and less contemplating.
Mar 22, 2022 10:30 AM

Dec 2020
Story is nowhere near NGE but more like a spin-off. Main problem is the characters and dialogues, total cringe.
Apr 25, 2022 8:48 AM
Dec 2019
I'm sad that this movie is not good.
Jul 12, 2022 5:36 AM
Jun 2022
Unpopular Opinion: 2.0 was worse than 3.0
Aug 29, 2023 6:02 PM
May 2022
I just want to come off by saying I am deathly afraid of Evangelion.
Hard as it is to believe, I have animephobia. 
I am currently looking for someone to help me overcome my fear of Evangelion, my fear of anime. 
If you want to know why, please read the following. It is a detailed essay detailing my traumatic experience from the Evangelion fandom during Lockdown. 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12E5xdOOtUa4Nlh1OizVapCHn6St9olV0PUi1LV6Dm_U/edit?usp=sharing
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dupa - Dec 17, 2012

786 by Ten »»
Apr 7, 8:45 PM

» I am Deathly Afraid of Evangelion

DoctorOddball - Aug 29, 2023

2 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:10 PM

» How do you feel about Shinji??

SwagDemonMan - Oct 15, 2014

24 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Evangelion 3.0 explained (attempt to) [SPOILER]

GuidSMR - Apr 18, 2023

5 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:05 PM

» Should I rewatch Evangelion before watching this

Vai03 - Jun 27, 2022

19 by Vai03 »»
Jun 30, 2022 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.