Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 5, 2013 11:10 AM

Aug 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It begins
Oct 5, 2013 11:24 AM

Jul 2013
Damn, starting the episode off with that Dempsey Roll action xD
I'm liking the new OP and ED, it's so nostalgic, especially that ED though xD
And it looks like they're are starting things with Ippo's past, and damn, the way his dad went out was just crazy. It was nice to see how things built up to now.

Shimabukuro is pretty huge for a feather-weight boxer, but he is a lot like Ippo though, which is kind of ironic (They even have the same boxing style o_O), but will he be able to stop Ippo's Dempsey Roll?

Also I didn't notice much of a difference in Kamogawa's voice, so this new seiyuu isn't bad. But overall, it's good to see that Ippo is back and these next 24 weeks will be awesome.
Oct 5, 2013 11:25 AM
Jan 2010
I know I complained about the other thread being up before raws/subs were even available, but why was it deleted exactly? Was it in some unknown violation of MAL's rules?

Also:

Oct 5, 2013 11:26 AM
Feb 2012
that flashback was nice

IPPO Season 3 IS HERE! lets go.
shyuga8499Oct 6, 2013 1:47 PM
Oct 5, 2013 11:29 AM

Nov 2010
masserati94 said:
I know I complained about the other thread being up before raws/subs were even available, but why was it deleted exactly? Was it in some unknown violation of MAL's rules?
Because you're not supposed to start an episode discussion thread unless you've seen the episode, it doesn't matter what day it's on. And like one or two people actually saw it, most people in the thread didn't. If it was a large thread with many replies by people who had watched the episode then they would have just sent the OP a warning, but since almost no one in the thread had watched it, they decided to delete it.
Oct 5, 2013 11:38 AM
Jan 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
Because you're not supposed to start an episode discussion thread unless you've seen the episode, it doesn't matter what day it's on. And like one or two people actually saw it, most people in the thread didn't. If it was a large thread with many replies by people who had watched the episode then they would have just sent the OP a warning, but since almost no one in the thread had watched it, they decided to delete it.

Makes sense I guess.
Oct 5, 2013 11:51 AM

May 2011
I was anticipating this one a lot. It sure going to take me some time to get used to Iizuka Shozo as Kamogawa but he's doing a good job so far. The OP song and the ED were okay.

The episode itself felt kind of rushed compared to how the they were doing it in the first Hajime no Ippo.. it just didn't feel the same. I remember that it took more time to build up the Shimabukuro fight in the Manga. It wasn't bad though, it was nice seeing Ippo's past with his father and it looked good when they were slugging it out in the ring. But yeah, very different.
ZhuyoOct 5, 2013 12:12 PM
Oct 5, 2013 11:56 AM

Jun 2013
Hell Yes its finally here!!! Great first episode starting off with a title defense. I loved the op!! I even started getting teary eyed watching the ed theme with all of them running. I'm so glad this anime is back!
Oct 5, 2013 12:03 PM

Nov 2012
Hehe, the monster is back!! Man the new challenger is huge! Strange starting off with a backflash was surprising, Ippo's mom really good looking back then. XD
Want the challenger destroyed by the dempsey roll next ep, would be nice. Also, liked the ED, not as good as NC but still cool. Am I the only one that found the OP as surprisingly terrible?

Oct 5, 2013 12:06 PM

Dec 2009
It's been awhile since I've read this part of the manga, but wasn't the Kamogawa flashback supposed to be first or was it really after this match?
Oct 5, 2013 12:10 PM

Apr 2007
Felt so rushed! Guess I'll read the manga along side watching this, since I stopped right at this match anyway. Hopefully the whole series won't be like this though.

Besides that it wasn't too bad. Really love the opening and ending (dat bear) at least, especially the animation.

And a new commentator too?? I'll really miss the old voice.

ninkendo said:
It's been awhile since I've read this part of the manga, but wasn't the Kamogawa flashback supposed to be first or was it really after this match?
The flashback was supposed to be right after Hawk's match. It's a shame they keep skipping over it, seems like it will never be animated :(
Oct 5, 2013 12:14 PM

Feb 2013
So much stuff happened, loved the op and ed, the new voice actor for kamogawa is just as good as the last one, let's see how ippo is gonna deal with the pressure of fighting under the sea!
Oct 5, 2013 12:20 PM

Jul 2008
Don't really like the opening song, but the animation is great as usual. Glad to have Ippo back!
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Oct 5, 2013 12:30 PM

Aug 2010
That was pretty damn rushed. But I prefer that over being slow paced XD

Pretty nice ep. I would've thought the animation would be better though -.-

Loved the OP and the ED was so lol...esp coach running like that hahaha XD
Oct 5, 2013 12:35 PM

Jun 2013
I was hoping we could get a great opening like New challenger but it surely wasnt that good

Enjoyable episode,the start was very good but it felt a bit rushed when the flashback ended.

24 episodes left..Lets enjoy as much as possible
Oct 5, 2013 12:40 PM

Oct 2012
The flashback was really touching, Ippo was really strong kid mentally. This match is not as important as the upcoming ones so the pacing is perfect, more room for better stuff.

Also props to Iizuka Shozo, he got a little deeper voice than coach's original seiyuu, but he's still doing amazing job with Kamogawa's character
Oct 5, 2013 12:50 PM

Aug 2012
More Ippo woo, I'm really going to enjoy this.

Oct 5, 2013 12:50 PM

Nov 2007
This will R.U.L.E. Don't worry fellow fans if you think the start seemed slower than you expected!

KAMOGAWA GYM FOREVER!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 5, 2013 12:59 PM

Feb 2009
I remember that flashback. That was pretty touching really. Ippo ;_;
And title defense already? That was fast. This match was pretty tough and it's the beginning of the countering of Ippo's Dempsey Roll and how he realizes he relies too much on it.
Kamogawa's new seiyuu fits well but I still miss Utsumi Kenji. And hope the commentator is only for this match as the usual one is hilarious.
Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 5, 2013 1:08 PM
Jan 2010
Okay, so having finally watched the episode, I was both pleased and disappointed by it in several ways.

Big as an Ippo fanboy as I am, I was disappointed when I saw how rushed this episode was (as several people have pointed out already), where was the Shimabukuro and Ippo meeting? Why the hell didn't they show the weigh-in? Why did they not even bother to flesh out Shimabukuro's character at all and instead just make him come across as "Generic challenger 335005"? I get that they've decided to get through a fair chunk of content in this series - but that doesn't at all reduce the importance of Shimabukuro's fight, heck this fight is really important to the series for showing the weakness of the Dempsey Roll. I hope that they decide to flesh out Shimabukuro more in flashbacks in episode two perhaps (the way they're going, it's looking as if it's not even going to take more than three episodes before this fight finishes), but I really hope that the rest of the series isn't like this and that this is just a one-off blip. Speaking of blips, I don't know about you guys, but I thought I saw a few weird moments with the animation, nothing too offensive seeing as it looked great for the most part, but it was just one or two small instances that caught my eye.

Also, I'm not too keen on that new opening.

On the positive side, Coach Kamogawa's new VA is pretty good, I'm not gonna bother comparing him to Kenji Utsumi as that'd be pretty unfair, but I liked him all the same, he pulls off the role well - even if it took me a couple of minutes to get used to him.

I also thought the flashback was pretty neat as well, it would have been better had they then gone on to characterise Shimabukuro though.

The comedy was pretty good as well, glad to see that it maintains all the stuff that makes Ippo so funny to begin with - even if it was mostly cut out along with the rest of Shimabukuro's characterisation.

All in all, I'm glad Ippo's back - even if this series comes with a few characterisation problems that hopefully go away as the series progresses, I certainly wouldn't want to see Sawamura given the short end of the stick when it comes to characterisation. But yeah, it's back, I'm happy, and I look forward to seeing how well they handle things.
Masserati_Oct 5, 2013 1:23 PM
Oct 5, 2013 1:16 PM

Aug 2012
I do agree this episode is kinda fast paced. But I actually enjoyed this.
Oct 5, 2013 1:29 PM
Jan 2010
Actually, one thing I did forget to mention in my little rant is that I was really happy to see that they decided to use the music from the old series - it was awesome being able to hear tracks like Naked Fang and Sense of Tense being used again in the show.
Oct 5, 2013 1:37 PM

Jan 2013
Its finally back!

I am sooooooo happy they are using season 1's OST for this season.Thats the best!

The opening is pretty good.
I love the ending!

Can't wait for the next episodes.
Oct 5, 2013 1:46 PM

Jul 2010
YES YES YES!
Honestly I was fucking excited when I started this episode, then suddenly ultra sad flashback appears ... Manly tears were shed that day guys.
Later episode was as I remembered Hajime no Ippo, fucking amazing.

I will miss Kenji's old voice but this is pretty fine too.

Anyway, this new challenger looks interesting, a fisherman like Makunouchi's.
Now I understand the point of showing the flashback.

OP was fabulous, but I still need to grasp the music. Meanwhile the ED already gave me goosebumps and feels.
Oct 5, 2013 2:02 PM
Jul 2013
YES!
S3 BABY

The graphics have gone much better! <3

Welcome to the ocean floor, Ippo-kun c:
10makunnOct 5, 2013 2:18 PM
Oct 5, 2013 2:13 PM

Jun 2008
wasad said:
I really hope this new commentator isn't going to be permanent. Horikawa Jin's HIDARIIIIIIIIIIII and MIGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIs pretty much made the matches.

Ya the old commentator made the fights that much better.
Oct 5, 2013 2:34 PM

Feb 2011
That was incredible! As expected of Ippo, of course.

I liked everything about it.
Oct 5, 2013 2:43 PM

May 2010
it's great seeing that over a decade later this show is still being aired. and what's great is that it feels the same as when it started airing.
Oct 5, 2013 2:46 PM

Jan 2012
MORE IPPOOO!!!!!!! XD
Flashback was touching.
wasad said:
Damn. I'm really going to miss Utsumi Kenji's voice as Kamogawa, but Iizuka Shozo is doing a fine job at voicing Kamogawa.

I really hope this new commentator isn't going to be permanent. Horikawa Jin's HIDARIIIIIIIIIIII and MIGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIs pretty much made the matches.

Pretty much this :/
Oct 5, 2013 2:47 PM
Nov 2012
I had to punch a wall to feel manly again. :D
Ippo was just so cute and strong-willed.

I didn't like the song of the opening , but the ending was great.
And i noticed that they replaced the announcer , didn't notice it until he screamed liver blow.
He's stll good but it was weird when i noticed it.

Great episode overall and i didn't knew there was a Ippo flashback before the fight versus Imasomething.
Oct 5, 2013 2:56 PM
Aug 2009
I've waited so long for this! Finally it's here!

Oh, and the new voice of the coach is indeed nice. Though we will miss the old one.
Oct 5, 2013 3:05 PM

Jun 2011
YESSS, finally!!!!
the new coach's VA is doing a good job.. still i miss the old one :( RIP
Dat last punch!
5/5
Oct 5, 2013 3:05 PM

Nov 2012
nice episode but rushed :p
Oct 5, 2013 3:17 PM
Oct 2012
Man, so many memories. I loved the opening, was surprised with Kamogawa's new VA (in a good way) and also by the flashback and the rushed pace, but I guess it is necessary, since there will be that so many things happening this season around. The pace will go more smoothly when we're done with Shimabukuro's fight and on to the devil's lair.

Shit, this is gonna' be awesome.
Oct 5, 2013 3:35 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, what terrible pacing. I enjoyed it, but Ippo spent more time fistbumping in the waiting room before the match than they ever showed of any before fight context with Shimabukuro. Any investment in the match is lost because of this. Even if they touch on the match buildup within the match next episode, it'll still feel disjointed.

The opening is total hype for Sawamura and David Eagle, almost like HELL YEAH WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING WITH THESE TWO FIGHTS wait shimabukuro? let's just get him out of the way.

Poor kid.
Oct 5, 2013 3:44 PM

Jan 2012
Title defense right off the bat. Glad this show is back.

Oct 5, 2013 3:55 PM
May 2007
I guess putting the Kazuo flashback first makes some sense though it doesn't come much later on in the manga. I guess it helps put into context that Ippo and Shimabukuro are men of the sea, but at the same time, they do have some interaction prior to their fight such as what it means to be men of the sea, etc. I also remembered Ippo and his mother that Shimabukuro is much, much, much younger than he looks. I remember he is a year older than Ippo. Funny that his voice actor also played Maki from Slam Dunk who is much younger than he looks. Also, I thought the weigh-in scene from the manga was funny.

Then again, previous seasons have cut out and changed stuff from the manga such as in the original manga, Ippo got into boxing because of the Mike Tyson story and in the manga, Miyata's father saw the first spar between Ippo and Miyata while in the anime they introduced him after the first spar.

Kamogawa's new voice actor does give off the same feel, but he still sounds like Ryu Hosei from Gundam to me.
Oct 5, 2013 3:56 PM
May 2007
IntroverTurtle said:
masserati94 said:

Hey, I live in Japan and I posted when I was watching it
Oct 5, 2013 4:02 PM
Mar 2013
The punches sounds so dull. When they did the flashbacks in the Sendo fight, punches sounded soooo dull. New challenger they made it have real impact. Also pacing with really rushed, and this is coming from someone who read the manga.
Oct 5, 2013 4:07 PM

Sep 2012
What a touching flashback ;;
Oct 5, 2013 4:22 PM
Jan 2010
SwiftKilla said:
The punches sounds so dull. When they did the flashbacks in the Sendo fight, punches sounded soooo dull. New challenger they made it have real impact. Also pacing with really rushed, and this is coming from someone who read the manga.

The punches in the original series sounded like each character had just been bit by a truck, hence why I was often cringing at how painful they sounded and/or looked - I'm not sure how they sounded dull in the original series. If anything, it's the other way round, New Challenger had "dull" punches whilst the original had real impact - I felt the brutality of the original far more than New Challenger. But yeah, the punches did sound off here I'll admit.
Oct 5, 2013 4:40 PM

Mar 2013
oh my god they are rushing the fights o-o Don't know how this will turn out...
Oct 5, 2013 4:56 PM
Oct 2008
That OP was so epic.

They rushed a lot of the buildup from the fight no weigh-in... Hope its only this fight they rush and not have it be like this all season
Oct 5, 2013 5:00 PM

Dec 2007
What chapter is this episode on so I could read LOL
Oct 5, 2013 5:05 PM
Jan 2008
No surprise they have to rush the pacing if they want to push in at least 4 big fights in this 2 cour
Oct 5, 2013 5:08 PM

Mar 2013
It was okay, waiting for the actual action to pick up.
Oct 5, 2013 5:51 PM

Jan 2009
welcome to the ocean floor!
Oct 5, 2013 5:52 PM

Jan 2011
I doesn't so much feel rushed but rather they really cut out (not that I've read the manga) a lot of the typical pre-fight tension. We got Ippo's backstory but not so much about how he was feeling about the match nor much about his opponents psyche. I hope they do keep in the character developing elements because it's what made the show what it was. It wasn't just boxing, it was people, with their own dreams and aspirations, boxing.

I think a lot of us were eager to see how the coach's new seiyuu would play out and I think he did a good job trying to emulate Utsumi Kenji's voice but at the same time it lacks the depth and the rawness to it which gave his voice the fantastic character I'll remember him for.

The art style seemed a bit weird. Kind of a throw back to the original run rather than the Kaiji like Season 2. I didn't think Kaiji style worked well for Ippo but it's perhaps a better alternative than very dated looking character designs.

My major concerns currently: not enough tension (I'll take slow paced and well delivered over rushed) and lack of commitment to any one particular art direction.
Oct 5, 2013 6:10 PM

Apr 2012
Finally Ippo is back. It didn't change much imo but for this anime it's a good thing :3
I love the preview pic :D
Oct 5, 2013 6:34 PM

Apr 2007
patrykvan said:
Kamogawa and Nekota past will be included in Hajime no Ippo Rising

[url]http://i.imgur.com/aVAKBEy.jpg[/url]
Awesome, can't wait
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2014

163 by hector_01 »»
Mar 29, 1:22 AM

» Season 4 ? ( 1 2 )

marian11 - Mar 29, 2014

85 by ParaParaJMo »»
Mar 13, 2:32 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 18, 2014

70 by hector_01 »»
Jan 14, 4:14 PM

» New season

Bernardino_2000 - Jan 11

4 by lionaloone »»
Jan 11, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: Rising Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2014

57 by ANIk_003 »»
Dec 14, 2023 4:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.