Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
Oct 4, 2013 8:36 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Character: Toshio Ozaki (Shiki)

(Inset image of a doctor, but not The Doctor, here.)

MAL Character Information Page: Toshio Ozaki

Member Favorites: 527

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character molds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Toshio Ozaki was NOT inducted into the club Character list:
5 Yes - 8.8%
52 No - 91.2%

37 Don't know this character - 37.4% of the total number polled
5 Abstained - 5.1% of the total number polled
Don_Don_KunNov 14, 2013 11:00 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 4, 2013 12:01 PM

Jul 2013
First of all I was not fond of this show but Toshio Ozaki was my favorite character from it. My biggest complaint about the show was that the villagers were not listening to anyone or convinced themselves that nothing was wrong.

Toshio Ozaki noticed something was wrong but unlike most of the other villagers, he chose to act. He got everyone together and led a resistance. He was always thinking about what was best for the village but it's not like it changed the outcome. In any case, he was a character that took action when most everyone else was in doubt.

His character is good in the context of the show. However, I wouldn't consider him to be close to one of my favorites.
Oct 4, 2013 6:33 PM

Aug 2011
I'm the two-vote, but I thought this was the priest guy, and not the doctor. We need [ img ] tags back. So, ignore that (see: a) 2 vote and pretend it's a five.

While I agree that Toshio Ozaki was one of the better developed characters in the show, that isn't exactly saying much. One of the show's downfalls was its characters, and being a golden turd doesn't change the fact that you're still a turd.

As a human that rather easily loses his humanity, he becomes very one-dimensional pretty quickly, and his obsession with his work is used as his excuse to limit his character interaction with other non-humans.

Overall, he stands out as one of the better characters of the show, but he wouldn't be the best, and even the best Shiki has to offer shouldn't be up to the club's rigorous standards. He's a good character.

But he's not a good character.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Oct 15, 2013 10:19 AM
Aug 2010
"Rather easily loses his humanity" I don't think so. While the viewer might know about the vampires' "humanity" by the time his experiment occurs, he doesn't. He never knows. Doing the things that he does is perfectly human if one takes in account the information available to him.

Similarly, he is late in approaching the epidemic from a supernatural standpoint, is reluctant to accept vampires before seeing evidence, and that contradicts the viewer's experience. He doesn't know this is fiction. The outbreak of an unknown disease, unlikely as it is, is still infinitely more likely than vampires. "Just take your weapon and fight them!" Yet again, the character takes a stance consistent with his experience, even if it contradicts the viewer's. And even if it delays the action.

That said, I don't think this warrants an induction. Fairly consistent character but he remains weak in the grand scheme of things. For example, his wife is nothing but a plot device and the exposition as to his relation with the village and his father was so half-baked that nothing at all would have been better.

Oct 15, 2013 10:56 AM

Aug 2011
I'll point out that I never said the way he experiments on his wife is how he loses his humanity, though that seems to have been the implication. It's the way his wife's death didn't even phase him. How he didn't try to treat her, and let her die, just to prove his point. Just to make sure he was right to himself. Someone he theoretically cares about, but really, in the whole show, we never see him pretend to care about anyone. As a medical doctor, this is peculiar, and I don't feel like it was done in a "He's a unique character," way so much as, "Developing him to have feelings sounds like too much effort," way.

I do agree entirely with your last paragraph though.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.