Forum Settings
Forums

Yen Press Buys Licenses for Sword Art Online, Accel World and Other Titles

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 29, 2013 8:04 PM

May 2008
Wished they would have licensed the DRRR!! novels, but whatever.
Sep 29, 2013 9:38 PM

Aug 2011
The highest quality works of art for everyone!
Sep 29, 2013 9:55 PM

Jun 2012
VanishingKira said:
When the fuck is Monogatari going to get licensed *frustrated*

Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon needs to get licensed.
Will never happen though

;-;
Sep 29, 2013 10:02 PM

Mar 2012
wakka9ca said:

Imagine To Aru Majutsu no Index suddenly gets picked up by Yen Press. *shudders*

That would be crazy. But like belatkuro said, it's so long a series with so many side stories that it's too much of a risk for ANYONE who wants to localize it. Remember what happened to Shakugan no Shana. While I, personally, would buy it, I doubt that publication of the series would last more than 6 volumes in the US before it stops for To Aru.

With regards to SAO and AW...I lost interest in those a long time ago.

Shuhan said:
Will never happen though

;-;

Horizon getting licensed. Haha...
Have you seen how big those books are?
Ashen_MikoSep 29, 2013 10:05 PM
(Also known on other places as Hiss13)

All hail the adorable chess master!
Sep 29, 2013 10:24 PM
Apr 2011
Damn this sorta pisses me off. I understand it but having to wait years to get a translation takes the piss. Also i don't understand how translating volumes that will take them years to do can affect Yen Press if anything it helps them by keeping the current readers happy and intrested and then when the offical releases come the chances are people will still buy them simply to own a physical copy... Also if i had to wait 5+ years to wait for these offical releases of the later volumes chances are i've moved on to another LN because i'm sick of waiting.
reallybigshrimpSep 29, 2013 10:27 PM
Sep 29, 2013 11:08 PM

Jul 2009
Yen Press is currently the best light novel publisher in the English-language market, so picking up Sword Art Online and Accel World is a worthy investment for them. Novels are not manga and require greater quality control in translation across the entire series.

I still purchase the Book Girl, Haruhi Suzumiya, and Spice & Wolf novels from them. Publication may be slow, but it's actually just about right for novels because depending on my mood I can take from two days to two months to read one book.

Publishing an entire series in one go requires a lot of upfront cost, and publishers don't really operate with big enough margins these days to warrant that much early investment. By releasing one book at a time, they have time to recuperate costs before proceeding work on the next volume. Would you rather read the translation that is done carefully or done rushed with the potential for glaring mistakes?
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Sep 30, 2013 12:50 AM

Jan 2013
Considering that there are new fan translations of Spice and Wolf available if you pay for them. I doubt this means that the fan translations of these series are going to die and considering SAO is more popular as a LN than Spice and Wolf ever was. So I guess there would be translations available for newer volumes also.

Edit :
I correct myself. I just noticed that all the fan translated novels are available for free.
alanwakeSep 30, 2013 1:31 AM
Sep 30, 2013 2:27 AM

Dec 2011
This is kind of old news now.

But anyway, as someone who wants to see the English language light novel market be successful and grow, it's extremely disheartening and even depressing to see people actually complaining about a series getting licensed.

It's not as though YP do a bad job with the translations...
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 30, 2013 2:31 AM

Apr 2013
tsubasalover said:

Yen Press has asked Baka Tsuki to remove the fan translations of the novels when they publish the first volume in 2014. These new translated light novels however, will take some time (maybe years) until they catch up to their Japanese counterparts.

Even if they didn't ask bakatsuki, IIRC bakatsuki has a policy to remove from their website anything which has been licensed in english country, so they would have put it down anyway.
Also, for anyone pissed of that they won't be able to read the next volumes before years because of this : I think it's a good thing that more light novels are licensed in english. The more there are and the more they work, the more you'll have chance to see other labels starting to publish some as well. In France, a few tries were made to publish LN, they all failed very quickly. Our manga publishers are doing quite a well and licensing a lot of titles, but there was no public for the light novels it seems.

belatkuro said:

And while I haven't checked the release date and price of AW yet, the 1st volumes of SAO manga and LN are available. The manga will be out on March 25 and costs US$20. The LN will be out on April 22 and costs US$13.

Wait. What with those ridiculous prices? US$20 for a manga volume? US$13 for an LN volume? Are the price for books that high in US?
Sep 30, 2013 2:42 AM

Dec 2011
Zefyris said:
belatkuro said:

And while I haven't checked the release date and price of AW yet, the 1st volumes of SAO manga and LN are available. The manga will be out on March 25 and costs US$20. The LN will be out on April 22 and costs US$13.

Wait. What with those ridiculous prices? US$20 for a manga volume? US$13 for an LN volume? Are the price for books that high in US?

The manga is 2 volumes in one. $13 is higher than previous LN releases but not significantly so.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 30, 2013 2:54 AM

Jan 2013
I'm already aware of this since, but i can't help but to get a little... very sad that the fan-translators must be removed from BT, I've been reading SAO fan-translate from long ago and I can't help but to feel disappointed.

Accel World wasn't fully translated buttt.

I heard the currently ongoing volume, which is Alicization Dividing, would probably release in 2018. SERIOUSLY? that's like 5 years from now.

and 2014 is not far from now X| dang it.

I use to have a life until anime cames to my life[s/]
Sep 30, 2013 3:01 AM

Dec 2011
If they stick to the 3 month schedule it would be early 2017, about 3.5 years from now.
Sep 30, 2013 3:04 AM

Sep 2013
i know ill be picking up SAO , magical modica books
Sep 30, 2013 3:28 AM

Jun 2010
They bought Blood Lad last year. It's already a few volumes published.
Sep 30, 2013 3:35 AM

Jun 2011
If they will release in their slow pace, then we will see the 14th volume probably in 2022! Yay!
Hope, they will complete the Nervegear by that time...
Sep 30, 2013 3:46 AM

Jul 2008
Stark700 said:
Mm interesting news.

So I'm guessing those fan translations from Baka Tsuki will be removed soon starting next year. But yeah, it will take quite awhile to catch up to the volumes.

Yes.
Yen press usually release 2/3 volumes a year for a given series so it'll take time for them to reach the Alicization arc.

JoksPacifist said:

Anyways, it will come down to if Yen press decide to mess up with the original cover.

They stopped doing that, they now are publishing the novels with their original covers.

NeoAnkara said:
What happen to SnS localisation?

SnS was licensed by Viz Media which stopped to publish it. They still own the right for it so it is still illegal to translate it.

VanishingKira said:
When the fuck is Monogatari going to get licensed *frustrated*

Nisio is somehow 'clever' in his writing, it's hard to translate his work and retain the same feeling as the original thing. I do hope that someday someone will take it and manage to do a good job though.
Sep 30, 2013 4:47 AM

Aug 2013
I don't mind paying few bucks to read LNs that are actually being translated by professionals from legal publishing company. Because, TBH i often have a hard time reading most light novel fan translations. The intent of these translations often seems to be conveying the intent of the plot (i.e. so that everyone can understand "what happened"), but there's little apparent thought given to either the voice of the author or the voice of the characters. And this is my biggest problem with them, because most fan translators are not "authors"; they act more like "converters" (like hopefully-smarter versions of Google Translate)
Sep 30, 2013 6:34 AM

Aug 2008
And because of these assholes I'll never know the ending to SAO. Sigh, can't B-T just block USA IP's...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 30, 2013 7:38 AM

Nov 2008
interesting more i must say Yen Press
Sep 30, 2013 8:21 AM

Aug 2013
So, does it mean their translated light novels will be released world wide??? because right now i don't see any of them available in our bookstores..
Sep 30, 2013 9:28 AM

May 2008
iamdarrenearl said:
So, does it mean their translated light novels will be released world wide??? because right now i don't see any of them available in our bookstores..

They might digitally release it as well.
Sep 30, 2013 9:50 AM

Dec 2009
Well, I can't say I am overly thrilled to know that Yen Press is doing more manga (anyone else want to say poor translations to boot.), I still haven't forgiven them for their crap translations on Kuroshitsuji. So, I think I'll stick to the fan translations, if I ever get into these mangas, since they are more accurate.

Sep 30, 2013 10:02 AM
Jun 2013
Still considering the good and the bad effects.
Sep 30, 2013 10:02 AM

Dec 2011
Antanaru said:
And because of these assholes I'll never know the ending to SAO. Sigh, can't B-T just block USA IP's...

Or you could... you know... not be an "asshole" and buy them yourself?

iamdarrenearl said:

Bookdepository ships to the Philippines for free.
Sep 30, 2013 10:07 AM
May 2012
Good for them good for them.
Sep 30, 2013 10:20 AM
Apr 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:
If they stick to the 3 month schedule it would be early 2017, about 3.5 years from now.

Sigh the problem is i don't have the kind of dedication to wait alittle over 3years to read the next volumes, I do like more accurate translations but that doesn't mean its worth a wait of 3years!

I know there is always the option to just buy the releases as they come out and just reread them but its not like there is any certainty that the entire series will get translated and in that case i'll end up with a incomplete set of books and if there is one thing i hate its buying into a series and not being able to finnish it.

I'd love to see japanese LN's more in the western market but for me personally i don't see why they don't follow newer stuff or on the flip side publish stuff that has already finnished in japan rather than following a series that is at best 3/4 complete and can't guarente a full translation into english because they don't know wether they will profit from translating them into english or not.
Sep 30, 2013 10:35 AM

Dec 2011
reallybigshrimp said:
its not like there is any certainty that the entire series will get translated and in that case i'll end up with a incomplete set of books and if there is one thing i hate its buying into a series and not being able to finnish it.

Have Yen Press ever failed to complete something they started? Because I can't think of any time they've done that (excluding not releasing spin offs/side stories which they probably never wanted in the first place). And they're part of one of the largest and most successful publishing companies in the world (particularly with regards to modern fiction), so I think it's fairly unlikely that they would stop as a result of going out of business. Personally, I have about as much confidence as is realistically possible that they will release the whole series.

I'd love to see japanese LN's more in the western market but for me personally i don't see why they don't follow newer stuff

Because there isn't enough demand for it - people don't know about that stuff for the most part. SAO/AW probably weren't viable before last year's anime release either. Yes, they can then aim it out at new fans, but the majority of the market comes from the people who saw the anime and want to own the books.
So "newer" comes to mean "things that got hugely popular anime adaptations faster". Then again, stuff like OreGairu wasn't anywhere near as successful as SAO/AW, and even that isn't exactly short. Plus SAO/AW also has the advantage of both being by the same author and even sort of in the same universe - so people who read one series will most likely look into the other. It's the perfect opportunity for them, really.

or on the flip side publish stuff that has already finnished in japan rather than following a series that is at best 3/4 complete and can't guarente a full translation into english because they don't know wether they will profit from translating them into english or not.

It's been done before - most of what Seven Seas licensed back when they were getting LNs were short finished series. The problem there is that they are often less popular, anime adaptations tend to cover more of the series so people don't buy to find out what happens next (assuming that there is a recent adaptation when it is licensed - if there isn't then the series will likely have lost most of its popularity, if it ever had it to begin with) and if people have already completed a series from fan translations then they are a lot less likely to buy the books as well.
Sep 30, 2013 11:18 AM
Oct 2012
I wanted to at least finish the Alicization arc :-(. Well whatever
B-T lost a big shareholder
INDEX getting licensed? I doubt that is possible. That will be the end of earth
happy for the AW though :-D
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Himel_713&sclick=1]
Sep 30, 2013 11:23 AM

Jul 2007
I wonder if Yen Press will (soemday) license all Madoka-related material like Nitro+ novel and Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica: Anthology!
Sep 30, 2013 12:50 PM

Jun 2012
CreationBreaker said:
wakka9ca said:

Imagine To Aru Majutsu no Index suddenly gets picked up by Yen Press. *shudders*

That would be crazy. But like belatkuro said, it's so long a series with so many side stories that it's too much of a risk for ANYONE who wants to localize it. Remember what happened to Shakugan no Shana. While I, personally, would buy it, I doubt that publication of the series would last more than 6 volumes in the US before it stops for To Aru.

With regards to SAO and AW...I lost interest in those a long time ago.

Shuhan said:
Will never happen though

;-;

I know :(
The author is a beast.
Sep 30, 2013 2:25 PM

Jan 2008
Well, at least there's one thing interesting here.

Looking at you, Different Story. I'll be buying that on release.
Sep 30, 2013 2:43 PM

Jul 2012
No Shinsekai Yori yet :(
Sep 30, 2013 2:55 PM

Jul 2008
NanoZero said:
iamdarrenearl said:

They might digitally release it as well.

It's very unlikely, I can't remember Yen Press having done that with anything they own.

Shuhan said:
CreationBreaker said:

Shuhan said:
Will never happen though

;-;

I know :(
The author is a beast.

It's not related to the number of page per book but rather that most work having a good deal of ecchi stuff in it are very likely not to leave Japan (or at least will not reach America).
The answer to that is because these are work that people might have a good deal of prejudice against them. Company like Yen press care about their image as much as they do about profit. Releasing Horizon would be a bad idea since the market would be low and most people wouldn't be tempted to try it either.

YukinoAsakura said:
I wonder if Yen Press will (soemday) license all Madoka-related material like Nitro+ novel and Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica: Anthology!

It is possible. They bought a few license already to test the water and if it actually sell well they will probably consider buying other Madoka related work.

iamdarrenearl said:

I wouldn't say that it will be released worldwide but it'd be possible to buy them online from pretty much any developed country that do not have a problem with it (yes I'm looking at you Korea),

Antanaru said:

You've been reading a series that the author poured his sweat and time into writting it for free until now, if you can't be appreciative and buy the released version then you actually deserve not to know the ending ever.

Other than that, Kuudere pretty much covered everything else.
Sep 30, 2013 10:38 PM

Jul 2009
iamdarrenearl said:

Manga and novels published in the US do get exported overseas. For example, in Malaysia both Borders and Kinokuniya carry US-licensed manga and light novels.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Oct 1, 2013 5:08 AM
Jun 2009
Nice to see support, but I have a heavy dislike for american companies in general that touch and alter Japanese works while translating to make it fit the culture better. Makes me feel like something I love was violated by another person then handed back to me, sheer thoughts of what might be changed leaves me concerned. Fan translations are not all that accurate either but if you find a good one they will generally leave anything that can not be directly translated and explain it in a translation note. This is something I think should be used at all times when translating from another language over altering it to fit another language/culture. But a lot of official companies like to just change the dialog and even elements of the stories at times to better fit without having to use notes explaining the original, this is true in anime, manga, and light novels. Yen press might be one of the better ones but I still worry about what will be changed along the way while translating.
Oct 1, 2013 5:19 AM

Nov 2012
when will the first volume of sao ln be released in english?
aboeOct 1, 2013 5:22 AM
Oct 1, 2013 7:22 AM

Mar 2010
Aah so thats why i couldnt continue

Well i managed to find it elsewhere..
On wattpad.com so if anyone wants to read it..

I try to read as quick as possible before they find out about this site too

I will buy the light novels if i didnt read this through baka-tsuki..

Quite silly to read the same again so.l

kuuderes_shadow said:
Antanaru said:

Or you could... you know... not be an "asshole" and buy them yourself?

iamdarrenearl said:

Bookdepository ships to the Philippines for free.

Cant find it n bookdepository tho.. But maybe i overlooked it

Mod Edit
Post merged. Please do not double post.
ThangLongOct 1, 2013 7:59 AM
Oct 1, 2013 7:26 AM

Dec 2011
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Aincrad-Reki-Kawahara/9780316371247

^ I believe that is what you are looking for.
Oct 1, 2013 7:32 AM

Aug 2013
ROOMA4HELL said:
[. . .]Fan translations are not all that accurate either but if you find a good one they will generally leave anything that can not be directly translated and explain it in a translation note. This is something I think should be used at all times when translating from another language over altering it to fit another language/culture. But a lot of official companies like to just change the dialog and even elements of the stories at times to better fit without having to use notes explaining the original, this is true in anime, manga, and light novels [. . .]

Localization is an art more than it is a science, and a translator has to be a good writer in order to do a really good job. A good editor is also going to make a difference. Fan works (and a lot of professional works) aren't going to get that much quality devoted to them, so it's pretty much an unsolvable conundrum. Add the numerous differences between Japanese and English both linguistically and culturally, and it's no wonder that most translations contend themselves with being just adequate.
Oct 1, 2013 7:47 AM
Nov 2012
Fuck....just fuck....gonna cry in a corner now....
Oct 1, 2013 8:41 AM

Mar 2010
kuuderes_shadow said:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Aincrad-Reki-Kawahara/9780316371247

^ I believe that is what you are looking for.

thanks I wasnt sure since no image is available.. but damn 203 days left o.O

guys dont despair there are other sites who still have this light novel available so .. ;) and otherwise you just buy them :P
Oct 1, 2013 9:15 AM

Aug 2010
I'll read the SAO and Accel World novels for sure, and maybe the manga.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 2, 2013 4:40 AM

Aug 2010
The statement about Yen Press asking Baka-Tsuki to remove the fan-translations is not true.
Oct 2, 2013 5:00 AM

Feb 2009
stellarroze said:
The statement about Yen Press asking Baka-Tsuki to remove the fan-translations is not true.
Partially it is. They received a C&D order before for the other licensed series like Bungaku Shoujo and S&W.
It's been their policy ever since to take down anything that has been licensed in English. They took down Hidan no Aria almost immediately even without a C&D order.
Oct 2, 2013 6:48 AM

Dec 2011
Amiluhur said:
I don't mind paying few bucks to read LNs that are actually being translated by professionals from legal publishing company. Because, TBH i often have a hard time reading most light novel fan translations. The intent of these translations often seems to be conveying the intent of the plot (i.e. so that everyone can understand "what happened"), but there's little apparent thought given to either the voice of the author or the voice of the characters. And this is my biggest problem with them, because most fan translators are not "authors"; they act more like "converters" (like hopefully-smarter versions of Google Translate)

I think this is spot on (not saying gorgeous fan translations don't exist). But I wouldn't discount the idea that there are people who prefer the plain, "converted" fan translations over the stylized stuff that some official translations end up being. Especially when a whole bunch of canon material gets altered to sync with the perceived sensibilities of the target audience.

And that's strange, comparing human translators to Google Translate. At the moment, machine translations are on an entirely different level of incomprehensibility.
Oct 2, 2013 3:45 PM

Jan 2010
I hope some company ends up translating the Baccano LN's- probably Yen Press since they did the Durarara ones, unless I'm mistaken?

Anyways, I might check out Accel World.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
3 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Today

3 by Maumuu »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
9 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.