Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 2, 2013 1:09 AM

Mar 2007
That much I will give you. When I first started out, the only thing I did without consulting a senior mod was take care of spambots.
You've come a long way, baby.
Oct 2, 2013 1:11 AM

Nov 2011
In recent weeks (this summer rather), there is also another popular site people might be familiar with known as Crunchyroll and they hired some forum moderators.

From what I understand, they went through a trial period (maybe 2-3 weeks) as in being temporary moderators before getting the final deciding factors. During that period, it was like a bit of training so they get used to it once they get the position for real.

I think that part is important to get them some hands-on experience.
Oct 2, 2013 1:17 AM

Aug 2012
ThangLang, rodac, and koleare are all on, yet my most recent stack of reports I submitted for the never ending list threads still haven't been addressed.

Good job, guys!
Oct 2, 2013 1:21 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
TallonKarrde23 said:
My interactions with the mods are also fine - I'm honest and upfront with them, but I treat them with equal respect to that which they give me. That's better than sucking their dicks and pretending you deserve to be treated like a God simply for being a moderator on a site about cartoons.

You don't need to get down on your knee's for anyone. Nobody has become a mod because of that (in fact that would make me uncomfortable). It's the blatant insults that set everything back.

TallonKarrde23 said:
I contribute more to the forums than most users - Luna has even agreed with me on that a few months ago while helping me with a rather serious issue of me being harassed.

I think it's obvious for anyone to know that your personality plays a big role. These are people who you're going to be working with for many months or years to come, so naturally you'd want to be around someone who you can get along with. We as mods don't know you on a personal level, so all we can do is take everything you say as face value and go from there.

That's why I said if you remember your past interactions and comments with the mods, you'd have your answer.
Oct 2, 2013 1:39 AM

Jun 2007
KuroDubZero said:
so naturally you'd want to be around someone who you can get along with.

You literally just admitted that you pick based on nothing but friendship.

No wonder this place is such a shithole. You put your friends into power and you give yourself the excuse of "b-but we need to be friends to work together :(" which is bullshit. Hell, it's actually BAD if you're all very friendly with one another, because of that close knit friendship you get issues: you lose accountability. Just like you are doing now, you all cover for each other and are unwilling to accept that your little friends did anything you don't think they'd do, or you side with them no matter what because of said friendship - even if they factually did something they shouldn't have or whatever.

I work with the mods pretty regularly through PMs and reports for the past several months, they not only know me just fine, they deal with me just fine in return and know how to handle me. Hell, some know a lot of personal things about me and can even handle me like a parent with a good kid, because I'm responsive like that when I'm treated right. Hell, at this point I'm a psuedo-mod as it is, given I report a shit ton of posts every single day as my life is entirely free time which I choose to spend trying to better this site because you mods don't do it for us on your own. Shit, I even try to avoid using vulgarities in my reports because I know a certain mod told me she doesn't like that reading or hearing those kinds of words waaaay back so I've always tried being kind and avoiding it. My entire posting has changed as well - thanks to me dealing with much of the mod team pretty often (and NOT because I was in trouble) lately and both sides getting to know each other better through it.

You can claim I'm some problem and mean guy but all that does is show what little you know of the current community, because you, like the new mods, are not someone who is active in it. Why do you think I'm never in trouble when I used to constantly be? Even talking back to the mods and all that? Because I'm not a problem, I don't "blatantly insult" anyone, I don't treat everyone like shit, I don't disrespect everyone - and the times I slip up? I openly apologize to the other user right then and there. Yeah, imagine that, someone APOLOGIZING on the INTERNET. You are literally judging me based on nothing but the fact that I am not in your IRC talking to you all day.

It's terrible, no matter how many different ways you try to reason it out to yourself.

There are plenty of users who are active members of the community, who are more willing to put in effort and time towards bettering the site, and who you can't claim are too insulting and crude like me that all could have filled those positions. You blew past them to give the spots to your friends who are ill fitting of the positions instead.

And I do love how you ran away from your prior comment about contributions and ran to a separate fallacy now instead of responding whatsoever to it. You went from giving bullshit blatant LIES (lying ot the people who trust you as a member of the staff? Wow, that's terrible) about what the administrator does (oh lying about the admin too? shit!) to select new mods to saying something completely different in your next post and entirely ignoring that you ever made the first one.

I say lying because you went from "CONTRIBUTIONS!" to, after me having proof that's entirely not true at all, switching to "well you're an asshole so you'll never be a mod!" real quick. If anything it's because of people like you I SHOULD be one. People know I'm honest and that I know the community and care about it. They also know I'm not on your dicks and partaking in your circlejerking and part of your little fun friend club, so I'd hold all of you accountable as much as I could as just a mod, which is more than any of the staff do now because they don't want to mess up their personal friendships just to make the site better. I'd be one of the only mods putting the quality of the community first, rather than my bonds with the other staff.

You on the other hand I can't say the same for. You care about your IRC friend circle, not the site, not the userbase, nothing but you and your little group. And, sadly, it's looking like that's the case for Kineta as well.

I'll say it again; this site is too big and legit these days to be run in that kind of favoritist friends-matter-most fashion. There are over a hundred other people who would be better fit for the position, yet none of them got chosen. Three people, one of which admitted not contributing shit and knowing nothing about the fucking site, and the other two being nearly the same, got picked instead.

For you being the 'good guy' in this you sure are deflecting, ignoring, and avoiding a lot. Not to mention refusing to actually explain anything in detail, but instead just tossing out random words that require factual information to back them up for them to have a meaning - yet refusing to provide that as well.
TallonKarrde23Oct 2, 2013 1:59 AM
Oct 2, 2013 1:53 AM

Aug 2012
Mods, at this point, you may as well release the records of how/why those users were selected for modship. That includes the nominations.

If you're gonna say "contributions" as a reason, show us those contributions.

But yeah, show us them so maybe we can resolve this peacefully.

And if the how/why turns out to be not-so acceptable, well I guess all the more reason this shitstorm exists.
Oct 2, 2013 1:58 AM

Aug 2012
Ironically, a shitstorm started brewing in the very thread where I said there were no real shitstorms recently.
Oct 2, 2013 2:01 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
TallonKarrde23 said:
You literally just admitted that you pick based on nothing but friendship.

That isn't right. Before I became a mod, I had absolutely no contact or conversations with them. I was just a regular contributor (The hentai genre). Same with a couple of other people I know that joined around the same time.

Long before I contracted this heart disease, I used to post regularly, but over time I stopped because of stress. Don't know why doing something so simple stresses me out but it does. Simple debates get me riled up, I guess. I only used to post in the manga section before and after I became a mod. No interactions.

TallonKarrde23 said:
And I do love how you ran away from your prior comment about contributions and ran to a seperate fallacy now instead of responding whatsoever to it.

:V
Oct 2, 2013 2:03 AM
May 2010
Interesting things going on here.
Can't help but to agree with Tallon.
Oct 2, 2013 2:11 AM

Jun 2007
I'd like to hear from the other mods as well, given this one realized what a hole it dug and then deflected so much that it backpedaled itself right into it. And, in general, I do want to know what they think of all this.

edit
>locked for damage control

Welp. My point is proven.
TallonKarrde23Oct 2, 2013 2:54 AM
Oct 2, 2013 2:19 AM
May 2010
[2:03:50 AM] Joker: Lana
[2:03:55 AM] Joker: write something more provocative
[2:04:02 AM] Joker: than that.
[2:04:05 AM] Joker: come on
[2:05:28 AM] MellowJello: oh lana
[2:05:30 AM] MellowJello: suck suck

If you insist.

So uhh...I went to have some little chat with our new lovely mods.
Apparently the key to modship seems to be a regular in Episode Discussions, at least to my eyes. Expressing your opinions on anime gets you modship, what do ya know.

If anything, IntroverTurtle would be more fitting as a mod than all three of them.
Oct 2, 2013 2:26 AM

Jun 2007
LanaAqua said:

If you insist.

Apparently the key to modship seems to be a regular in Episode Discussions, at least to my eyes. Expressing your opinions on anime gets you modship, what do ya know.

If anything, IntroverTurtle would be more fitting as a mod than all three of them.

Haha, wow. So basically spamming and using the IRC = becoming a mod. Because, lets face it, 90% of the posts in episode discussions are just bullshit with no value.

Hell, take a look yourself at these high quality contributions to the site and the community as a whole - things that make them totally worthy of the position:

"Another nice season, it's always hard to say goodbye to this anime it doesn't matter how many seasons pass.
I just can't get enough of it.
Maybe we will see another season but for now i am feeling relieved i enjoyed watching this like always."

"Apache helicopter the answer to your problems.
The question is why didn't they use that in the first place or at least called those pro guys right away.
Knowing this anime it would probably have made to much sense."

"The three children display vey different ways of dealing with a little problem. Karin-chan is scary..."

"The quick change cloak into wedding dress and school uniform into white tux were interesting accessories, but in the end it looks like Ayumi isn't going to be satisfied with his "best" I love you, she wants his "real" I love you. Will you be able to handle that, Chihiro?"

WOW BETTER MOD THEM UP QUICK is not my first reaction. They not only don't know the community, they don't even participate in the few threads they DO post in - they just post their few lines to themselves and leave like everyone else tends to do in episode discussions. Not to mention their English isn't exactly the best, so minus 10 points for that too.

There are people who post constantly in those threads with actual content of value to discussions and to create discussion who also know the rest of the site, are trusted and known users, and who would be more fitting of the role.

And, still, how would posting in anime discussion threads have any bearing on becoming a mod or not? That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard. Contributing to the forums - not a very niche side of them - is what should matter in the area of knowing the site (and also, from being active all around, knowing the community as well). Then there are other important issues to consider on top of that, plus the time they can and are willing to put towards moderating rather than doing other things.

------
With the lock and subsequent lock-reply from Kineta, I've decided to just hide the thread. In other words "screw it", because I know exactly where it's headed and the stuff she already said in that post proves my point 100%. Especially the fact she makes it very clear she's too busy to even properly care for the site if she even wanted to - if you're so busy then you should step down and put someone else in your place as the administrator.

By the way, the mods did do wrong - they've been deleting things they shouldn't, yelling at people mistakenly after mixing up usernames, and other issues as such. And do you know why? Because, she did not pick them based on them fitting the position, knowing the site, or knowing it's users. They will make mistakes because they aren't knowledgeable on the forums or users, because they do not contribute or partake in discussion on them or with those people.

And you're right, I did not congratulate them. They don't deserve to be congratulated to have positions they did not earn and have no business being in. Positions they are already fucking up in because they are not suitable to have power over a place they know nothing about.

I also have a very big issue with the fact Kineta decides who the mods are without anyone else's involvement - not even the other mods, of her own admission. This means she is just blatantly admitting it's all played by her picking whoever she wants rather than who is best for the site.

I'm deeply disappointed and disheartened to have found out that the administrator seems to be one of the people who cares least about the well being of the site and it's users. No matter the content of her 'full' reply. For the record - that's just my personal opinion, it's not meant as an insult, as anything disrespectful

No disrespect, no insulting, I'm just not dealing with this thread further in any way. I want what's best for the site is all, as I genuinely care about it and it's members, and you disagree with my specific views on that. Fine. But I'm genuinely upset by the way you've chosen to show that and by your ways of running the site that put the users enjoyment of the site far off to the side for ANY reason, regardless of what it is - be it personal gain, favoritism, whatever - when the users should always be the top priority. And now you're even putting aside this thread because you're "busy". Great example to set for the mods. This is exactly why I'm just done with this whole situation.

I have broken no rules, I've treated everyone in the thread properly, and I've done nothing wrong, so I expect to not have any sort of repercussions for this now or in the future in any blatant or veiled ways. I'm trying my best to control myself and I do believe I'm treating you and this topic in an adult manner, I'd like to believe you will do the same in return.
TallonKarrde23Oct 2, 2013 4:01 AM
Oct 2, 2013 2:26 AM
Apr 2013
LanaAqua said:

If you insist.

Apparently, he declined the offer of becoming a mod. Dont know why though.
Oct 2, 2013 3:00 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Thread Locked.

Two pages of posts in two hours, most of it filled with a lot of misinformation and no congratulations in sight. This was a wonderful way to welcome new moderators to the team.

I will reply to the wrongful accusations in this thread (as I intended before the massive derailment) and will provide a detailed explanation of how forum moderators - and other moderators - are chosen. Hiring new staff is my responsibility and that is why the other forum moderators have not replied in this thread up until now.

For future reference, the correct way to go about this would have been to write me a PM directly and I would have been happy to discuss the situation. This would have been a much better approach than derailing a welcome thread for new moderators that have done you absolutely no wrong other than being chosen for the position.

Since I need to write this reply along with helping our new moderators adjust to the team, seeing to my other responsibilities and working for a living, please don't expect it immediately.
Oct 3, 2013 5:20 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Thank you for waiting patiently for my reply. Please note that this post is a general reply and none of the statements in this message are targeted at any specific individuals. However I will attempt to address all of the points that I have seen raised in this thread.

How Users Become Mods
First of all, in the interest of full-disclosure, please let me explain how becoming a mod - any kind of mod - works. I'd like to separate database moderators (including news) and community moderators (forum and soon-to-be review/rec) from each other, because they are fundamentally different in some important ways.

Database Moderators
If we are very short-handed due to resignations, hiatuses and/or decreased moderating time of existing staff, we will conduct open applications for database moderators. In the past, this merely consisted of some personal details (age, timezone, etc.) and a paragraph explaining why you would like to be a moderator. Beginning with the manga moderator applications in 2011 (our first real application process in 3 years), we began including practical "tests" to double as a gauge for certain skill sets and to pre-train the soon-to-be moderators.

Once all applications are received, all interested staff members look at the practical applications (with any sensitive information removed by me first) and provide input on which users they feel are best suited for the position. Once a certain length of time has passed where mods can give their opinions, I make the final decision. I said that hiring moderators is my responsibility and it is: I am the only staff member who can set member levels, aside from Xinil. That makes hiring my responsibility. Obviously, my final decision is usually in line with the group's opinion, but the one who actually sets the member levels is ultimately the one accountable.

However, if the queue is becoming longer and only a few hands would be needed to relieve the burden, then the database moderators and I will try to nominate a few users suited to the task. This is usually done by looking at the queue for regular, high-quality submissions that demonstrate the contributor knows the database and guidelines quite well. Once the nominees are agreed upon, I will contact them privately with the opportunity and ask them to respond explaining why they would be interested in the position. While I am a strong advocate for open application processes (probably the strongest advocate on staff), they truly are a lot of work and are not worth it when only a few people are needed.

Database moderators have minimal staff-related contact with the community. What we're looking for primarily are users that have passion, dedication, can understand and implement the guidelines, have an excellent eye for detail, and know how to google. We will not take any users that we feel cannot work in a team or who we see are abusive to the community, but the position's emphasis is on solitary work, not social.

Community moderators, on the other hand, are (as per definition) in constant contact with the community. While all of the above is still important, people skills obviously takes the highest precedence.

Community Moderators
When we need new forum moderators, each existing forum mod will try to nominate multiple users for consideration. The forum moderating team and myself then discuss these users to determine who will receive an offer to apply. All forum moderators must agree to the nominees. Once agreed, I send these users a PM which includes the duties and required skills expected of the position.

Since they have never been stated publicly like all the other moderating types have been (in previous application threads), I will list them here.

A Forum Moderator's duties include:
- Knowing, understanding, and executing the Site & Forum Guidelines, the Board-Specific Rules (Anime & Manga and General), and our internal Forum Moderator Guidelines.
- Checking the queue frequently for abuse reports.
- Actively moderating several boards, including Anime Discussion and Casual Discussion.
- Warning and banning users for (repeatedly) breaking the rules.
- Cooperating with other moderators and admins to ensure: the same level of standard is set for all boards, sub-boards and threads on the main forum; moderation is consistent across the team; and, difficult cases are dealt with in a timely fashion with team input.
- Idling on IRC (in our staff and main channels) at all times while moderating, and as often as possible when not.

Forum Moderators must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Spend most of their MAL time on the forums, in multiple boards, on a regular basis.
- Have good communication skills and a community-oriented attitude.
- Possess a bottomless well of patience and be able to withstand angry complaints without being ruffled.
- Have enough time to perform moderator duties on a daily basis.
- Register for a RizonBNC.

We also caution the nominees at this time to consider their decision to apply carefully because being a forum mod is often a thankless and stressful job.

In the past, the PM merely requested some personal and forum-related details, along with a paragraph explaining why you would like to be a moderator. Beginning with the last round of forum moderators, we added a "practical" test to this process as well which simulated some problems they would need to solve as a moderator. Once the answers are collected, the forum moderators review them and provide input on which users they feel are best suited for the position. Again, I do the actual hiring, so ultimately the responsibility falls to me in the end. Database moderators are not included in this process because they are not privy to the community information that forum moderators and myself are.

After applications are conducted (all types of mods), any threads/comments about the recruiting process are removed. New moderators that are brought on board do not see each other's responses/results to the test, nor do they see the potential users that didn't make the cut or declined. This is only practical; you wouldn't see the results of a recruiting process in a real job either. Thus, I will definitely not be discussing any details of why the current moderators were chosen specifically. You can rest assured that the new forum moderators met the above criteria and passed the practical test.

Please note the requirement to idle on IRC on the duties list (which was also included on previous open application announcement threads). This needs to be explicitly stated in all of our application processes because at least 80-90% of chosen moderators do not idle on IRC prior to being hired. In fact, part of the hiring process is usually us helping them get set up with an IRC client, a registered nick and other basic skills.

We make IRC a requirement because it is real-time, while PMs, threads and clubs on MAL are not. By being able to discuss situations and issues in real-time, it is possible for the staff to be more consistent with each other and abreast of important situations.

Despite unjust accusations, we do not hire "friends" for moderators nor do we only hire members who idle on IRC. I do not know where this impression originated but a bit of research would show how baseless this statement is.

Concerns About Forum Moderators
Yes, time and dedication is important for being a staff member. If moderators don't have time to moderate, they shouldn't be moderators. It is not fair to the community nor to their fellow teammates if they hold a position in name only. Every moderator has been told this and is reminded if they stop holding up their end of the weight.

But moderators aren't superhumans and they often get paid in complaints. We have only eight forum moderators compared to how many regularly posting users? At least a few hundred? Why is the onus only on them to improve MAL when they don't even have time to post (outside of a mod capacity) because they're too busy cleaning up after everyone else?

You cannot judge how active a moderator is based on how many reports of yours he replies to nor how many threads he locks/moves/merges. For one, not all reports are equal. If a thread is made in the wrong board, the report can be quite simple and only take 5-10 minutes: move the thread, PM the OP saying it was moved and why, remove any rule violations in the post (usually users reprimanding the OP for posting in the wrong board, breaking rule I.6), contact the violator as necessary, and reply to the report.

In comparison, an insult reported on page 3 of a thread can take over an hour. The moderator needs to read all messages in the thread, determine where the argument started, identify all posts that are violating the rules and whether they need to be edited/removed, actually remove/edit the necessary posts, check the user histories of any violators to determine which user(s) need to be warned/banned, write out any warnings/bans (both to the user and to our internal list), and respond to the report.

If it is a straightforward thread, this can already be quite a bit of time - which is why you will see threads "locked for cleaning" to prevent the offending posts from being quoted/replied to. If it is a complicated thread, then the moderator may need to confer with another mod - either one who recently warned/banned an offender or to get a second opinion on what should be done with the thread/posts. The queried moderator also then needs to have a look through the thread to give an informed statement. This is why if the argument/derailment spans multiple pages of a long thread, the moderator may decide the topic isn't worth the time spent to save it and will permanently lock it.

And if, while the moderator is spending >1hr working on this thread, a banned user comes on IRC to discuss their ban, then the moderator needs to stop what they're doing to discuss with that user. Speaking with banned users can take 10-15 minutes or over an hour themselves, depending on the offense and the user.

This means that what appears to be a 3 hour wait for your report to be handled could actually be two or three mods working on the forum and on the report queue at that given time, but being busy moderating other reports/topics and speaking with users (in a mod capacity) on IRC. It takes time to deal with threads. Once a post or thread is removed, it's gone for good. The moderator needs to feel confident that he is aware of the situation and not just the viewpoint of the reporting user.

For these reasons, the other moderators and I have a much better idea of which mods are doing what than the community does. We do not keep moderators on staff who do not contribute; I think the retired staff list is proof enough of that (now outnumbering our current staff). However, moderators are allowed to take hiatus for some time due to vacation or other real life matters and - while shared with the other moderators so that we know our workload will increase in advance - this is not something the community is notified about.

While I agree that the nominees should be active enough in the community to know the regular users in the main forum, if the nominees are too knowing - and not trustworthy due to their behaviour - then the situation becomes ripe for biased moderators. "These guys are my buddies so I'll let them off, but damn I hate that fool so he gets a ban." Furthermore, just because you interact with regular users on the forum day-to-day doesn't mean that you know the user from a moderator perspective. For any user, becoming a forum moderator is an adjustment and the senior mods are here to help ramp them up as fast and smoothly as possible.

No new moderator is perfect when they are hired (and even old moderators makes mistakes from time to time). The announcement thread is partly a way for the community to welcome the new staff, but it's also there to say: "Hey, these guys are new, cut them some slack while we get them settled in". To turn this thread into a place where the new forum moderators are berated publicly for their first mistakes is really very sad and inconsiderate. I'm not sure if you've all forgotten or were just not aware, but koleare, Suzune-chan and Tachii made mistakes when they were first hired, too. You can't (seriously) tell me that the forum is worse off for having them, so to jump the gun on the current new mods is unfair.

If the new mods are making mistakes that you think the rest of the team isn't aware of (because we're watching them like hawks in the beginning to help them), then you can send one of us a PM discussing your concerns with us. The reason we prefer to discuss issues like this in PM is because - as demonstrated in this thread - in public, concerns quickly spiral into complaints which spiral into rants, which then turn into full blown mod-bashing and drama. By the time I locked this thread, everyone's temper was ripe, emotions were high and basic consideration was being lost.

Constructive criticism is welcome and even desired. If there are hours that you feel aren't moderated well enough, then contact one of us and tell us which those are. If there are things you feel could have been handled differently, or you want to get clarification on why something was done a certain way, then feel free to message and ask. We'd prefer you message us where and when we can have a reasonable conversation together about the issue, before all of your frustration builds up and moves past the breaking point.

Mod-bashing is bad because it creates an us vs. them situation, rife with emotion and not logic. And when we're all here to contribute to our community as best as we can, this does not make for a good environment. I don't want our community to be a place where we can't have a simple welcome thread for new faces to the team without it becoming a place for people to berate each other.

Why Wasn't X Invited to be a Moderator?
I've said this before, and recently in the Review/Rec Moderator Applications thread, but will repeat it for those who haven't seen it.

Applying to be a Forum Moderator is very simple: Every post you make on the forum and every comment you make to other users on the site is your application. When you do not follow the Site & Forum Guidelines, encourage/contribute to derailing and spamming, and abuse other users with insults, harassment and aggressive language, you are demonstrating that you are not capable of being a Forum Moderator.

This is like submitting information that violates the DB Guidelines over and over again, yet thinking you'll be chosen to be a database moderator because "the staff must be able to see how great a mod I'd be". We don't expect you to have the correct answer for every forum action, but we do expect that you'll be putting the necessary people skills into practice already. This is because we need moderators who we can trust are not going to reply "lol asshole" when they are dealing with angry users. We need moderators who we can trust to keep a calm head when users lose their cool - or who can ask for help from another mod or me if they feel they can't.

Trust in a user's community skills is not something that can be demonstrated on an application form; it is earned through his/her general behaviour on the site. Your posts on the forum now are your references for your application. If we like your references, then we'll consider asking you for a resume.

And for this reason, we do not have open applications for community moderators. The Review/Rec Moderator Applications were pseudo-open (since you could just have your friend nominate you), but it will likely not be this way in the future. As a side note, it's interesting to see suggestions in this thread for nominations when we received criticism for doing just that with the review/rec apps.

I've heard on many occasions, "If I were a moderator, I would clean up my act and wouldn't post all the bullshit I do now". To which my response is, why aren't you doing it already? If you truly care about MAL, are truly passionate about the forum, then why are you contributing to the trash on it? And then somehow blame the forum mods for it being so messy.

Our community is what all of us make of it, and I truly mean that. If you want to be a forum moderator because you want to improve MAL - and not because you just want the power - then start improving it now. Reporting is only one part of that; the bulk of it comes from your posts.

Don't add to the mess. Don't encourage rule violations. Don't address rule violations; report them. Don't insult other users. Don't talk down to other users. Try your very best to not fight with other users and report it if it becomes a problem. Don't spam. Don't quote-chain for the fun of it because "lol a mod will just clean it later". Don't be a hit-and-run poster.

Show us you can discuss with users you aren't buddies with. Show us you can have interesting discussions in threads which are not your own. Show us you can debate issues without losing your temper. Show us you can walk away from a fight. Show us you can report things at the first instance of trouble and not 5 pages later - if it's reported at all. Show us you can have a basic level of consideration for every user on the site.

Contribute, and contribute well.

And if you do manage to receive a warning or a ban from a moderator, don't ignore it or come to IRC, demanding the ban length indignantly while assuming that you were not at fault. Instead, try to actually discuss what it is that you did to incur the ban. If it truly was a misunderstanding and the moderator did not have all of the information (unlikely but mistakes happen), discussing things will help to correct the situation. If it wasn't a misunderstanding but you did break the rules, then you can find out how you can improve so that you don't repeat the offense.

If you truly know what you did was wrong so well that you don't need to ask why or discuss the situation, then the question that begs to be asked is: why did you do it in the first place? Assuming the moderator banned you for "nothing" gets neither you nor the staff - nor the community - anywhere.

If more of the community behaved as I described above, not only would MAL be a better place but we'd have more moderators to choose from, too. Do you honestly think we want to keep the number of forum moderators as small as possible? Less mods means more work for everyone. But our biggest limitation at this point - and has been for an increasingly long time - is lack of candidates, either through unsuitability or declines to our invitations to apply.

In Conclusion

If, after reading this entire message, you still (very honestly) think: "User X/I would be a great moderator! He/I fit all of the criteria above, posts regularly, interacts with other users genuinely and considerately, is helpful to people he doesn't know, doesn't get offended and post angrily, follows the site rules, and contributes thoughtfully to the forum. Why hasn't he/I been asked to be a mod?" then you can message one of us giving the user's name as a nomination for the future. We will not, however, discuss anything about this nominee with you. If this is yourself, then you can message asking what areas you could improve on.

I will not remove any posts from this thread this time, because I do not want the community to feel like they are being censored. We are open to criticism and want to hear feedback from users (both bad and good). But unless there is a specific and solid suggestion that you feel could be molded with input from the community, please refrain from discussing it on the forum. Tempers become high, moderators get bashed, and the entire situation becomes entirely more dramatic and emotional than any one of us needs to be.

Since I won't be removing the posts, this thread will remain locked. If you would like to respond to this message I have posted, please feel free to message me - I will reply, though perhaps not immediately.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
5 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by mushfik002 »»
Yesterday, 10:25 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.