Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 5, 2014 10:50 PM
Oct 2010
pureradiance said:
Great show but a couple things took away from it. The whole revive thing was basically a deus ex machina. They shouldn't have killed Yuki in the first place if they were going to revive her under such conditions. Second, for a really advanced civilization, the Gamillas ships felt like they were made of paper while the Yamato was made of lead.

Third, many died on the Yamato and many little planes were destroyed but they never seemed to run out of artillery or new planes or new crew members...in fact, somehow, every crew member who was good and got screen time, besides the captain, survived. Lastly, Desler was waaay overhyped and never really amounted to anything.

Overall, if I were to score iit, it would still get at least an 8/10 because I give that to any show that I successfully marathon without getting bored. It was still entertaining if nothing else.

I agree with you, the lack of consequence was quite alarming, but I will say, when I finally thought they wouldn't show the crew at least mourning some of the dead, they had a funeral. The revive thing was rubbish as well, they should have avoided that scene altogether, but they could have handled it better (like using the power to awaken her rather than revive her from death).

Orokamonogatari said:
I wished to see more that triangle relationship, but it died around halfway. I like Akire more but Yuki is fine too. Still satisfying ending nonetheless. One of the best space opera genre out there.

11/10 just like everyone else did.

I actually think the triangle relationship naturally sorted out itself. She realized that he was into yuki and backed off basically. She seemed to hit it off with that one dude though.

Also I will say, I thought the beach ep was going to happen on beelum (or w/e the name of that planet was) just when I thought it wouldn't have one they threw it in ep 24 haha.
Feb 6, 2014 10:08 PM

Jul 2013
Yeah I'm really torn on this show after finishing it. On one hand it looks fantastic, has some truly great moments, and was overall a fun ride. But as pureradiance said, my goodness is there no consequence for anything in this show. The resurrection was just icing on the cake, the show just seemed to brush things off like it was nothing.

There's literally an entire planet and humankind at stake and yet I never really felt the Yamato or any significant character was threatened (especially after the whole Sanada/water nonsense). What should be crippling damage is magically repaired by the next episode, planes, cannons. and faceless crew seem expendable and easily replaced, and then the food shortage is just...solved? There's literally a sequence of events where there's a lunch special, then a food shortage, then nothing mentioned of it, to finally parfait specials. And then there's Dessler's unexplained survivability which almost seemed campy by his last appearance.

Also a majority of the characters feel really undeveloped, I realize there's only so little time they have to tell the story and they instead made good use of subtleties to be picked up on but it was still disappointing overall. The Gamillas felt very undeveloped in general, which I guess was somewhat understandable once again given the episode length but still. Domel, the Hound, and Zoellick were (unsurprisingly) the most entertaining to me. Dessler is also a really uninspired and bland villain. They seemed to be going for some combination of affably evil and ends justifies the means approach to him that didn't really make sense or work when they didn't really explain his backstory.

I guess if I could I'd give this a 7.5, but since I can't I'll settle for 7/10. It's one thing to turn your brain off and it's another to ignore the entire stakes in the process. It still does a lot of things right and should be seen by more people, but yeah.

Also completely irrelevant to my score, but once again the worst girl wins even after dying. But that's fine bring on the Yamamato x Melda.
Feb 6, 2014 11:02 PM
Oct 2010
hybreezy said:
Yeah I'm really torn on this show after finishing it. On one hand it looks fantastic, has some truly great moments, and was overall a fun ride. But as pureradiance said, my goodness is there no consequence for anything in this show. The resurrection was just icing on the cake, the show just seemed to brush things off like it was nothing.

There's literally an entire planet and humankind at stake and yet I never really felt the Yamato or any significant character was threatened (especially after the whole Sanada/water nonsense). What should be crippling damage is magically repaired by the next episode, planes, cannons. and faceless crew seem expendable and easily replaced, and then the food shortage is just...solved? There's literally a sequence of events where there's a lunch special, then a food shortage, then nothing mentioned of it, to finally parfait specials. And then there's Dessler's unexplained survivability which almost seemed campy by his last appearance.

The food shortage was because something was offline so I just let that slide, but one of my more concerning questions was how did those two guys in the brig survive? They clearly got sucked into space with no suits so... :| . I think one of the main things they failed at doing was emphasizing how many people were on board. The fact a security officer couldn't immediately see 5 foreigners gives the impression there are a lot of people there, but the show itself doesn't.

I also agree with the Sanada scene, at that point I gave up on any chance of the characters dying, there really wasn't a single casualty among the main cast expect the captain. Another thing that really bothered me was their attempt to humanize the enemy. It's funny but it's not the fact that they were humanizing the enemy that has me bothered, but rather that they didn't pursue it further. It's like they were going for a "nobody wins in a war" theme but just dropped it half way.

Domel, the Hound, and Zoellick were (unsurprisingly) the most entertaining to me. Dessler is also a really uninspired and bland villain. They seemed to be going for some combination of affably evil and ends justifies the means approach to him that didn't really make sense or work when they didn't really explain his backstory.

Same here, I really liked the hound a lot, alucard was the perfect voice for him haha. Also yeah, Dessler's backstory was critical in this case, obviously they were trying to get us to sympathize with his character but since we had no knowledge of the motivation behind his actions we can't. I remember Starsha said something like their policies were too different for them to unify or something like that, but isn't Dessler's expansionist policy due to wanting to be with Starsha? (I can't remember this part clearly so if I'm wrong point that out lol.)

Another thing that didn't add up was the whole let's colonize Beelum group. How would that have made sense? The Gamillas would have just found them and do the same thing again, I mean there's a damn Gamillas base there!
Feb 7, 2014 1:33 AM

Aug 2008
That's bittersweet alright. Why? A high casualty toll, but the mission was a success.
And the hero gets the girl! But regrettably, the badass Captain died.

Really, I was expecting Okita to get cured at Iscandar with some of their tech. It's a shame, he was an awesome character. His leadership is credited for their success. Many of his decisions proved for the best, which I found great. He was a really likeable character, a true badass old man.

Now as for the content... really outstanding. I understand that this is a reboot/remake of a 70's era anime, so they kept it as old school as possible. Mostly evident by the character designs and the OST.
I'm not into that old school music, but some of the tracks I found were really amazing and moving. As for the character designs, there were really nice. Loved them. The animation quality was just awesome, detailed, and fluid nothing to complaint. Hell, the attention to detail was so great, that just having a normal shot of a girl on those tight-suits was fanservice material.

But everything aside, I gotta say, I just loved all the sci-fi (nicely explained and for sci-fi fans like me purely just alluring) and battle sequences. The WMG was also epic, for a weapon intended for self-defense only, all the moments it was used on were beyond epic. I specially liked that sequence where they used it to not only destroy the core of that planet, but also to propel themselves into that space gate. The last use near the end was also truly epic.

If I were to score this anime on a scale of 10, then it's surely a 10, hands down. Favorited too.
Feb 8, 2014 11:12 AM

Dec 2012
GO YAMATO!!!!!!!!
5 S T A R S
10/10
Cool and Epic!!!!!!!!!!
^^
Feb 15, 2014 2:25 PM

Jan 2013
On the lack on consequences for the show, you guys have to understand. The cast is composed of mainly the crew that stays in safest areas of the ship. They rarely have to risk themselves as much as the people doing the dirty work in the show.
skudoops said:
Another thing that really bothered me was their attempt to humanize the enemy. It's funny but it's not the fact that they were humanizing the enemy that has me bothered, but rather that they didn't pursue it further. It's like they were going for a "nobody wins in a war" theme but just dropped it half way.
Because the rules of Melodrama and good writing say that having a black and white Good Vs. Evil plot makes for bad writing. Villains that act evil because they have to act evil wouldn't make any sense.
Mar 6, 2014 8:31 PM

Jun 2013
That ending was fucking fantastic.
Mar 10, 2014 6:13 AM

Feb 2012
TonyTin said:
On the lack on consequences for the show, you guys have to understand. The cast is composed of mainly the crew that stays in safest areas of the ship. They rarely have to risk themselves as much as the people doing the dirty work in the show.

I think it is more like some people didn't understand or like that the whole pursuit of the show really is a power that is pretty much godly. Something that is powerful enough to even regenerate the Earth at will (you think it takes thousands of years? think again). It is a Leijiverse tradition, the idea that technology advanced enough is no different from magic. The deus ex machina is an integral part of the show and always has been. This show is modernized in many ways, but not in the sense that it'll turn into hard scifi instead of classic space opera. That would just take away the entire purpose.
Apr 3, 2014 1:37 PM

Jul 2013
I couldn't hold back my tears after having watched the Captain himself cry ;-;
mitch3315 said:
This might be a bit hard for you to believe, I know I didn't at first, but the thing is that other people actually have different opinions to your own. Crazy, right? How dare they not conform to your opinion on this show, or any other, who the hell do they think they are?
Apr 3, 2014 7:47 PM

Jan 2014
Awesome, Awesome!!!! i Love It so much i can't even speak the ending made me cry like a baby such a beautiful masterpiece
Apr 20, 2014 9:11 PM

Jul 2009
Awesome...it's a masterpiece indeed, I have no doubts about this, it's been a while since I was so focused on such great series.

The story was clear as crystal (well it was for me),the battle visuals are outstanding, the ost is great and the characters are awesome, working with the enemy to get out of an almost impossible situation and the captain of Yamato was awesome the entire time.

Dang now I can't wait for the movie...
Apr 22, 2014 5:46 AM
Apr 2014
A really good anime. 8/10.

I justed watched
so the ending fell even flatter for me.

Good points=
Akira= Awesome character. I like female characters that act independently and show us they are awesome rather then have everyone treat them like they are awesome. She was tough, sympathetic and believable.
Kato X the nurse=allways fun when unexpected characters fall in love and it doesn't detract from other characters or the plot. They seemed fun and it happened in a drama free way.
The doctor=eccentric and fun. Also add in the other 2 old people the Captain and the mechanic. Diversity in age!

The bad=
Yuki= She was awesome because she was awesome. We should care for her because she's signaled to be important by the director. Everyone loves her immediately and she's important for everyone. Stop if you recognize something in this tired old formula. Yuki never really did anything until the last episodes outside of the classic damsel in distress and generic feminine traits. She was defined by her..importance rather then her character traits and actions. Kodai fell for her fast and strong because she looked like an alien princess.
I probably would have liked her more if she wasn't thrown into everything. There was very few episodes that didn't feature Yuki alot. Add also that it took me 18 episodes and a wiki search to actually get some grasp on what her role on the bridge was. All she seemed to do was state the obvious things that everyone could see happen.
Damage on the Yamato that got fixed between episodes. Even when they had earlier episodes addressing their limited supplies for repairs.
The rebellion that seemed very short sighted. As someone stated before, fleeing into gamillian territory wasn't a smart idea.

Overall i enjoyed the show alot. The bad points where easier to ignore when other stuff and other characters did awesome things.

Dessler felt a bit flat also but a sequel could improve on him. To bad they killed the Jirel girl. She had potential.
Apr 25, 2014 8:34 AM

Nov 2012
so much feel in the last episode
Although at first I preferred a more realistic ending (to let Yuki die), I ended up loving this ending more .

I didn't like this show very much at first (a little slow paced), but it got better and better, the story, the battle,... Also very emotional toward the end.

Such an amazing journey, 10/10
Apr 28, 2014 4:35 AM

Mar 2014
Amazing series from start to finish. The ending was beautiful. Great space opera. 10/10
Apr 28, 2014 5:14 PM

Jun 2010
Malachi888 said:
Good points=
Akira= Awesome character. I like female characters that act independently and show us they are awesome rather then have everyone treat them like they are awesome. She was tough, sympathetic and believable.

But she doesn't do anything. She got a lot of screentime in the beginning of the series, but after some plot wrangling to get her on the pilot squad, all she does is get over her hatred of the aliens in a perhaps too-neat fashion. And there was the teasing of a love triangle with Kodai which is so insubstantial it's not really worth mentioning...which is why the fake-out after Yuki revival with Akira's stern face was so bizarre to me.

And why does she looks so much like Rei from Evangelion, down to being nicknamed just that? Did someone just want to recycle that character design?

Malachi888 said:
The bad=
Yuki...Damage on the Yamato that got fixed between episodes.

How can you consider the bad points of this series without mentioning how flavorless and forgettable the male lead is? Anything that requires Kodai's participation is pretty flat as a result.

Speaking of Yuki, it struck me that the nurse and the pig-tailed girl were very emotional about her death and revival, respectively...were they friends or anything? I can't remember Yuki interacting with much of anyone in the crew...

Malachi888 said:
Dessler felt a bit flat also but a sequel could improve on him.

That would be tough considering that he died. Felt a little like they were just disposing of him because the story was ending.

He survives in the original TV series, though, and what they do with him in the second series is pretty interesting.

I feel that, in general, when this series was rearranging and altering material from the original series, it produced great stuff, but the brand-new material, like the new characters, contribute very little and add up to not very much.
FronzelApr 28, 2014 5:20 PM
Apr 29, 2014 6:35 AM
Apr 2014
Fronzel said:

But she doesn't do anything. She got a lot of screentime in the beginning of the series, but after some plot wrangling to get her on the pilot squad, all she does is get over her hatred of the aliens in a perhaps too-neat fashion. And there was the teasing of a love triangle with Kodai which is so insubstantial it's not really worth mentioning...which is why the fake-out after Yuki revival with Akira's stern face was so bizarre to me.

It is true that after they left our solar system Akira never did much. But what I liked with her character was that she hanged out with the pilots, very much the boy club, and hold her own.
I very much watched this show thinking it was season 1 of at least a 2 season show. Seeing some subplots being planted but not meant to feature that much in this season. The character of Matilda Ditz I felt where destined to work more with Akira in season 2.
If it ends here alot of it was underdeveloped. Even though Akira just took a first step with overcoming her hatred, she only learnt to trust Matilda and not the race.

Fronzel said:
And why does she looks so much like Rei from Evangelion, down to being nicknamed just that? Did someone just want to recycle that character design?

Ages since I watched Evengelion. Probably just a inside joke.

Fronzel said:
How can you consider the bad points of this series without mentioning how flavorless and forgettable the male lead is? Anything that requires Kodai's participation is pretty flat as a result.

Not to be a cynic but I didn't expect more from him. Alot of importance being shoved on him too. The difference is that he made some smart tactical decisions at the start of the show. At least showing he was competent at his job. His personality was a bit fun seeing him interact with other characters a bit, made me at least think he was a blank note. Then he and Yuki got together and he only spoke about his job, yuki and the Captain. He was a necessary bad that i hoped could evolve into something more but the never did. Very much a reason why I wanted him and Akira to hook up. It would push his character into something new and more interesting then the very much standard formula he went through with Yuki.

Fronzel said:
Speaking of Yuki, it struck me that the nurse and the pig-tailed girl were very emotional about her death and revival, respectively...were they friends or anything? I can't remember Yuki interacting with much of anyone in the crew...

The pig-tail girl was second operations officer. When Yuki was off-duty she did the job. The Nurse was probably because Yuki was the "idol" on the ship and it was implied that all the girls thought she was awesome. Also Yukis death crashed the Nurses wedding, so that part probably meant a bit for her.

Fronzel said:
That would be tough considering that he died. Felt a little like they were just disposing of him because the story was ending.

He survives in the original TV series, though, and what they do with him in the second series is pretty interesting.

If they don't show the body he isn't dead. He survived before and could do so again. I assumed hew would show up again, if nothing else then in flashbacks.

Fronzel said:
I feel that, in general, when this series was rearranging and altering material from the original series, it produced great stuff, but the brand-new material, like the new characters, contribute very little and add up to not very much.

If there isn't a new season then they didn't do much but fill out some episodes. If there is then I assume Kodai and Yuki will be less involved in the next season leaving more room for others to shine.
May 6, 2014 1:23 PM

Apr 2013
What a fantastic show. Just marathoned this baby and man, should I have started this sooner. This is a masterpiece among space operas for sure. If I nitpick, I could find some flaws but I enjoyed the show so much that it honestly doesn't matter. 9/10 for me without a doubt. Now, I'm tempted to start the journey known as LOGH.
May 15, 2014 8:07 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Really a nice ending, tears came out in force but not with ease, even the last doubts are revealed. It's like someone had mentioned before, Mamoru Kodai eventually leaves indelibly with Captain Okita his signature work.
Intriguing plot until the end, sin has only 26 episodes, with a longer range, maybe a little more space at all there would be, including Desler.
Very nice OST, drawings and animations formidable, a work that deserves a wider and must arrive at the sight of all those who love anime.
Final rating of 9/10!
I can not wait to see the new movie in progress! * w *

P.S. Maybe narrazine and the script anime today, they were all like that seen in Yamato 2199 ...

PPS Very beautiful ending sung by Kokia and Nana Mizuki! : D
terrablu2003May 15, 2014 8:14 AM
May 21, 2014 8:20 AM

Sep 2013
Am I the only one who missed an explanation about Yuki's missing memories?
Otherwise, nice series.
May 25, 2014 6:48 AM

May 2007
I've been recommended this show quite a few times but never really tried watching it because I was aware that this was a reboot/remake of the original series from 1974. Barbo convinced me that it was a good watch and I have to concur it was pretty decent series, I was kinda expecting a lot more but I'm glad it sort of kept to it roots in tone, with each episode sort of being episodic.

I've watched the original Mobile Suit Gundam, it's a great show and I can see how it was inspired by the original Space Battleship Yamato, the original Gundam is very episodic.

I am aware that there are a multitude of differences between the original and 2199 such as new characters (as well as getting rid of characters too), changing character personalities (like Gomel, he's a more noble and brave soldier in 2199), events being changed, character jobs, etc. Basically there's quite a lot of differences but 2199 is pretty darn solid and I do like the changes with more female crew being on board the Yamato such as Akira, Kaoru (I'm pretty sure she's not in the original), Makoto (the married nurse), etc.

I like the ending with Mamoru reviving Yuki in the end and with Okita becoming the new Cosmos Reverse Output thingy. To be honest, I like the fact that Yuki and Kodai are a pair but I honestly didn't see enough interaction for them to actually become in love with each other but that's to be expected from a space opera that had to deal with the constant Gamilas threats.

Lol it was funny to see Yabu join that crew and they don't know yet that it was actually a human who use to be a proper crew-mate on the Yamato. I wonder what Melda is going to do now, I sorta want her to become a part of the crew on the Yamato in the future. Kaoru is pretty damn cute, I mean she wants to protect humanity and that's why her feeling were so strong that she went along with the coup d'éta.

My score for this series is a 9/10.

I've downloaded the original 1974 Yamato series (the Japanese version) and I'll be downloading season 2 as well at some point and then the 3rd series after that. I'll probably watch them at a later time though, I think I'm going to have to spread this Yamato marathon into a freaking voyage, it can be quite hard to watch an anime made over 40 years ago in one go.
Jun 25, 2014 7:41 PM

Feb 2012
This...is what an anime should be. Beautiful ending, and I am speechless beyond words.
Jun 28, 2014 1:04 AM
Apr 2011
There's a lot of unexplained things towards the but still this was great!
Jul 8, 2014 7:29 PM
Jan 2014
This was a good anime, good ending...and mamoru lived up to his name.
like evefyone i would have loved to see more of desslee, but i am ok with mamorus soul.
satos wedding wS a nice touch to the end.
all in all a great sci-fi masterpiece.
Jul 9, 2014 8:43 PM

Oct 2007
While the show is great and the main casts are loveable and well developed but on the enemy side are lackluster, specially, very disappointed with Starsha as a character and story telling of Iscandar. I was kinda expecting a more interesting story rather than "We built it and we destroyed a bunch of stars but now we want peace, tee hee". With all the built up to that point I was rather unsatisfied to see it like that.

Oh well, now Yamato is pretty much untouchable with Okita to power as its core >__<

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 24, 2014 10:13 AM

Jan 2014
Man that ending was total cheese.

I still loved the anime though, definitely a master piece remake. So many epic moments that brought a tear to my eye. Memorable ones are when the Yamato unleashes everything, the part where they get stuck in the ion storm and leave saluting, the kamikaze bomber taking out a carrier, and epic Yamato's crew's resolve.
Jul 31, 2014 3:34 AM

Aug 2008
just WoW loved it 10/10 nothing bad in it art style great, story great, pacing great, pure win
Aug 29, 2014 9:26 PM

Jul 2012
aw shit i loved that ending!!! ;_;

No really, I cried a lot, for a non-sports anime.

One of the best anime endings seriously. I didn't really care for this couple until later on when they kind of grew on me.

Okay, so I think I'll keep my rating at 7/10. While I absolutely loved the last six or so episodes, most of it has been a drag to watch. I really liked the world building when they finally reached Iscandar but I didn't really like it when they were travelling around, defeating aliens and such. It felt too episodic which I wasn't looking for in this show. I mentioned this before, but there are too many characters and not enough time for each of them to develop a personality.

This show would be so much better if it had 50+ episodes with more character development and delving into the relationships between soldiers/pilots instead of the excess battles and aliens. I just didn't feel that connected overall because it was so disconnected from the start.

But yeah, I'm sold. Definitely gonna check out the old Yamoto anime as well as the newer sequels when they're out. Consider me a fan of this awesomeness.
Sep 19, 2014 12:17 PM

Apr 2014
Pretty good series with a strong ending. Event though the sereis had some cliche elements plus some convenient asspulls and plot armors, it was still enjoyable on many levels.

Also, the ending to the romance sub-plot was very Clannad-esque but I would say not as good.
your waifu is shit
Sep 19, 2014 10:50 PM

Jul 2012
SzJ said:
Also, the ending to the romance sub-plot was very Clannad-esque but I would say not as good.

I thought their relationship was much better crafted than Clannad. Not a big fan of happy asspull endings but this one was handled well IMO
Oct 6, 2014 6:27 AM

Dec 2013
Boy I love happy endings. But I wanted to see more :(( Like just a glimpse of all there lives after they go back to earth. Maybe Kodai and Yuki's children? That would be really nice. I was really disappointed that there was nothing after 2 credits scenes lol. Well at least we know that Kodai and Yuki are together XDD!!!!

I have to say...When did Kato and Harada have time to "you know". Haha Great to see another happy couple and happy ending for them. And I see another couple on the horizon - Akira and Shinohara XDD.

Overall superb anime series. What a journey!

Salute to Captain Okita!

10/10

Kodai x Yuki OTP!!!!
Oct 6, 2014 4:49 PM

Mar 2009
Lockensocke said:
wow this ending was unoriginal and childish-.- ofc yuki survives, because plot said so. The lack of consequences is what makes this anime so immature. overall this anime was a big dissapointment, starting of very interesting with a very nice artstyle ( and one of the best CG in anime history). The characters where bad from the begin with and it was kinda predictable that they wont die, but the show presented them as way too overpowered. The absolutly illogical and ridiculous attempt to connect normal ocean battleship technic with space was kinda funny but became annoying after a while. over all i would give this anime a 5/10 which is in my ratingsystem not that bad.

I fell the same way about this anime... also, up to episode 9 is an amazing anime, but after that Yamato ship enter in god mode and no one can take it down. The crew is just invincible (excluding random red shirts). Another problem that i have is that the Gamelians are very poorly developed in the history.

I gave the series 6/10. It have great animation and sound, but i don't really like the way the characters and the plot developed (or the lack of it).
Oct 6, 2014 6:33 PM

Jul 2012
^ Pretty much my thoughts as well, except I only started liking it later on when it focused on the main plot.
Oct 23, 2014 1:20 PM

Nov 2013
Wow. Although there were some parts I didn't like about this show, I would say this show is as close as it gets to perfection, if you look at it in a whole overview. It makes me question some of the other anime I've rated a 10, because this is on a whole other level. Of course it took it even a whole year to air, so I guess the full production probably took 2 years or so.

Although this isn't my favourite series, I'd say this series is a masterpiece when looking at every single detail. I would have wanted some plot elements to change, as well as character relations; but this series is so grand, it shouldn't really get a score below 10 from me. The music score alone makes this somewhat of a classic. Also, the last 2 episodes weren't really required; as well as different couples getting together (as I envisioned some couples differently in my mind up to episode 24).

Also, Captain Okita is my favorite character of this show. Although he was somewhat cliché (a bit like a typical old Japanese man), he was the most "real" character out of them all. Made me feel like I'm watching something serious, and not just anime.

Also, Yamamoto and Melda should have gotten together for some lesbian action. I'm sure the blue girl is a futa anyway. ;-)
HandsomeManOct 23, 2014 1:23 PM
Nov 4, 2014 10:53 AM

Oct 2014
Masterpiece 10/10 !

Can someone plz tell me about the upcoming movie in december

Is it gonna cover something from season 2 (of the classic series), or is it just a new sequel to this remake ?
MASAMUNE77Nov 5, 2014 11:57 AM
Nov 4, 2014 9:59 PM

Jul 2012
MASAMUNE77 said:
Is it gonna cover something from the season 2 (the classic series), or is it just a new sequel to this remake ?

I believe it's a sequel to this remake.
Dec 4, 2014 7:06 AM

May 2010
this series is the defininition of "cop-out" the lack of consequences and the convenient quick-fixes are numerous....also the predictability of events is insane lol. Nevertheless, i give it a 7.5/10(if i could) but i'll round down to a 7. Good cgi and good animation with good action.
Dec 12, 2014 8:12 AM

Oct 2008
Them asspulls were very strong with this one.
Yeah i know remake of a 70's title and all that ,but still come one even back in 1975 this would have been cliche to the max.It had its good parts ,especially the production values,but overall it was just ok at best.
Dec 21, 2014 11:52 PM
Jun 2014
Iheartz said:
Man, that was a beautiful anime. I'm kinda disappointed that it didn't show a "what happens to the characters afterwards" series of pictures or maybe even Kodai's wedding, but that was just about the only thing I could find fault in.

Well, that's what we have Yamato 2201 for. :)
Dec 24, 2014 10:29 PM

Jul 2010
That was quite the masterfully done finale with how new life comes as the old ones past. Yuki being able to live due to Mamoru's will. Still, it was quite the scene to see how he risked saving Yuki instead of saving Earth showing his feelings for Susumu.

Susumu's reaction after Yuki died was really something. How he went back and not being able to find a reason to live. Okita also dying :/ The feels really hit when Sado cried at the surprise at the end which was just really done well.

Still, the lack of bad consequences was a big hit. How Yamato survived the trap due to interruptions and how the Gamilian really tried their best to miss their target. To survive in front of 10k ships and destroy a chunk of them as they leave. It was still rather epic though it could seem laughable from another prespective. How the Gamilian mostly just scratches Yamato which could be explained by the armour, but it just felt unfair how the Gamilian was shot through like paper.

The whole concept of different race and how they saw the others was definitely interesting. With the Gamilian at the end revolting against their leader and working to bring peace. Desler fighting for love till the very end. Shultz and the 4 fighting to gain merits so that their homeland is treated better.

I really liked the honour and respect that the enemies shared. Such as when they were trapped, the enemy commander towed them like promise and died protecting the crew member. Domel and Okita having a mutual admiration as they fight was quite the sight to behold.

Probably a 9/10 for me as it just felt really grand and satisfying which makes me able to ignore the invincibility that Yamato had. With a really satisfying ending, as cliche as Yuki comes back to life, it just feels a lot better with her back than having Susumu view on to the new world like that.

To be able to fight through the impossible and emerge on the victorious side. I thought it was rather beautiful in many ways. Going to watch more space operas remains hugely unexplored by me!
FatefulLoveDec 25, 2014 8:29 AM
Dec 28, 2014 9:32 AM

Nov 2014
If there is anything I hate, it has to be a one man army just stomping everything in front of it.
I mean, I cannot fathom the idea, that a galaxy conquering Empire can not defeat one ship, ONE ship; their generals looking like fools, yet they manage to conquer their galaxy and maybe even the Milky Way galaxy, but nope, they're too dumb to stop one bloody ship.
To top it all with the ending, that Starsha was being all fine with nuking of, or rather total annihilation of other planets, yet, she was accusing the humans of using the Wave Motion Gun; the hypocrisy in this one is off the charts. All those peace loving nukes and total annihilation of cultures and civilizations, is all fine for her, as long Desler brings "peace".
Edit; I also want to point, even tho they did such horrendous things, there are no good or evil empires, only interests and ideals, or seizure of more power. However, this topic was not being discussed in this anime; it was given a glimpse, but it was just that.
End of edit.

The endless supplies, food, repair, no consequence to any of the characters, revivals, oh my, don't even know what to say.
One dimensional characters, damsel in distress, forced relationship and many other things, that I can't mention.
At least, episode 9 was so good, it swept the floor with all other episodes.
I'm really disappointed by this show, it was good, and then, it just went to bad, real bad.

And, one question, why help Earth only, it wasn't like Earth was the only planet that was being nuked and facing extinction?
ourielDec 28, 2014 11:47 AM
Dec 31, 2014 2:21 AM

Oct 2013
Although the plot felt grand and cool, it has many, many flaws. Plot armor, cliche, asspull, etc. I wasn't even convinced with the premise. Well, it has some good moments too, but still couldn't really make me overlook the flaws. However, there are also many things I like about this show: the art, the character designs, the animation, the music, they're just... wow! Zero complaints about them.

8/10
Dec 31, 2014 2:44 AM

Oct 2008
ouriel said:

The endless supplies, food, repair, no consequence to any of the characters, revivals, oh my, don't even know what to say.
One dimensional characters, damsel in distress, forced relationship and many other things, that I can't mention.
At least, episode 9 was so good, it swept the floor with all other episodes.
I'm really disappointed by this show, it was good, and then, it just went to bad, real bad.

Everything you just said is extremely true and valid:yes the story is paper thing ,characters aren't anything noteworthy (the "space nazi" faction is just laughable at times),you have to suspend you disbelief so very often and not over-think a lot of plot elements ..... But considering other recent sci-fi related anime series like Valvrave,Aldnoah.Zero,Captain Earth which are all just abysmally ,they just makes Yamato look amazing in comparison.
Dec 31, 2014 6:54 AM

Nov 2014
amateur said:

Everything you just said is extremely true and valid:yes the story is paper thing ,characters aren't anything noteworthy (the "space nazi" faction is just laughable at times),you have to suspend you disbelief so very often and not over-think a lot of plot elements ..... But considering other recent sci-fi related anime series like Valvrave,Aldnoah.Zero,Captain Earth which are all just abysmally ,they just makes Yamato look amazing in comparison.

I was really put off by many things, especially the deaths of characters that should've stayed dead, and not just that, but many other things as well.
Tho, I can't deny that animation is top notch, with all that attention to the little details.

I'll make sure to avoid those anime series you mentioned, as apparently nothing comes close to the Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
ourielDec 31, 2014 6:58 AM
Feb 4, 2015 3:46 AM
Jan 2012
Honestly, I was expecting this to be way better. It had some brilliant moments, the art, animations and music was great, but it was really stupid even bad at times, it could have been so much better.. sigh.
But it was still a nice show.
Feb 10, 2015 7:04 PM

Jun 2013
I am looking at this thread, people complaining about everything and anything, and I don't even care. This anime has completely broken me. I love it, I am completely in love with it. I always enjoyed space operas with interesting story, and on top of being great space opera, this anime gave me that romance subplot I wanted to see. I don't even wish to try do give analysis, I give this anime 10/10.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Mar 21, 2015 4:47 AM

Jan 2014
Earth isn't still dead, I suppose. How many days left?
.. Harada and Kato already have a baby wtf

medic guy acting tsundere with the robot.. o.o

shiz Mamoru acting all creepy
until he activates that Cosmo Reverse System. Yuki is alive! :D good job nii-san

Yuki x Kodai! <3

CAPTAIN DON'T DIE YET!
making me all teary faced..
Thanks for saving Earth.

mamoru dead, captain dead.
2 great men lost. RIP. Salute!

Earth is finally alive and well. I can see East & Southeast Asia still in their same positions. :')
ED is amazing as always. How many times have I said that?
I would have also liked a short after-story showing what happened to the characters.

11/10. Would recommend this to my fellow space opera loving friends. I'll definitely not forget this anime.
NakatoshiMar 21, 2015 4:50 AM
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Mar 21, 2015 2:36 PM

Oct 2008
It was kinda hard for me to get through the original series. It was rather boring and had some serious plot issues. Perhaps my standard is way too high after LotGH. I hope this remake is somewhat better.
-
Well, i've finished it.
It was a helluwa lot better than the original series, it was much easyer to digest, partly thanks to the graphical tuning, and minor changes in the plot. 9/10 i enjoyed watching this show!
VargrMar 28, 2015 2:03 PM
Apr 3, 2015 2:09 PM

Mar 2013
Nice ending, lovedd how okita manage to live trough the Yamato. He's the real MVP
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Apr 15, 2015 12:12 PM

Jan 2015
So since Yuki is brought back to life using Mamoru's "soul", Susumu is now in a spiritually incestious relationship with Yuki. 10/10
Apr 18, 2015 4:43 AM

Dec 2013
Disappointing. Till episode 10th, it was almost a masterpiece. But after that the facing became super slow, they barely left the ship for almost 10 episodes. They should have visited more planets, should have had more adventures.

Character cast was beyond boring, underdeveloped, forgettable.

But it had a couple of good moments, visuals were eyegasmic. The planets looked fantastic. Again, sad that we only got visit so few of them.

6/10 and I'm hesitating on it.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» OP Singers of TV Airing ver.

tsubasalover - Mar 16, 2013

9 by Serhiyko »»
Mar 29, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HybridMBL - Sep 15, 2013

54 by Mailo91 »»
Mar 20, 8:58 AM

» Having real problems sticking to this show.

shurryy - Dec 25, 2014

9 by Millodin »»
Feb 12, 10:37 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

27CansOfTuna - Mar 10, 2013

59 by Merolae »»
Nov 21, 2023 2:37 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 9 Discussion

27CansOfTuna - Dec 2, 2012

39 by Rekuiemu »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.