Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Genshiken
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 4, 2013 4:35 PM

Apr 2013
Feeling another season :P, Im going to miss watching this, 10/10. Anyone have a leak on the vocaloid song? I know everyone wants it :(
Oct 6, 2013 4:09 PM

May 2012
Was that an attack on titan reference? And lol Sue is just the best character from this season :p Pretty decent ending and like always an open ending so well will we see another season?

Either way a pretty decent season a bit weird and out of atmosphere but when all the old characters returned the old atmosphere came back and better than ever!
Oct 7, 2013 10:09 PM

Jun 2008
Madarame x Kousaka FTW~
I want more of those awesome scenes~
Oct 18, 2013 10:44 PM

Oct 2008
Was that a Berserk reference?
Anyway, the ending seemed a little open, but it was a great season overall. I'm looking forward to the OVA in december and hopefully it will get another season sometime as well.
Oct 19, 2013 6:43 PM

May 2009
i laughed out loud at shingeki no kyojin's reference XD
Oct 29, 2013 5:38 AM

Jun 2010
Just Finished it.
Not bad but not good either, the ending was kinda empty for me.

7/10.
Nov 4, 2013 10:10 PM

Sep 2012
As a whole, I liked Second Generation.

The ending was a bit abrupt, however, and I'm praying for another season or at least some OVAs to give it some proper closure.

The only issue I had other than that was the change in voice actors. They just weren't as fitting as the ones from seasons one and two.
Nov 17, 2013 4:46 AM

Nov 2012
I loved this anime,

I think older seaons was a bit better I liked dirty graphic while nidame style was too bright, but nidame had more reffers to recent anime, so score is balanaced

I give 8/10 for all seasons.

I expect continuation!!
KrunchyJan 15, 2014 5:44 AM
Dec 5, 2013 4:40 AM

Sep 2013
Just finished watching the entire Genshiken series in almost 1 go.

However much i enjoyed Nidaime, the club just never felt the same since everyone left and got jobs. All the BL and voice actor changes doesn't really bother me (apart from Madarame..) but the original club was such a better story.

All through that season i felt slightly sad at times, like Madarame wanting to go back to the old days.

All in all great series.
LusboxMar 25, 2014 3:01 PM
Dec 6, 2013 3:09 AM

Dec 2011
Wow, that was a crappy ending. Pretty much nothing was resolved.
Jan 1, 2014 12:59 PM
Jan 2012
I just finished this show and I really enjoyed it i would like to begin reading the manga but i dont know where to start does anyone have any suggestions?
Jan 15, 2014 3:51 AM
May 2009
tapanda said:
I really like Genshiken, but this whole season just didn't feel enough like the original two for me to really get into it. Maybe it was the change of voice actors, maybe it was the slightly better animation. Who really knows though, all I can say is that I was a bit let down. However, this last episode was definitely one of the best.
Sadly, this show gets a 7/10 from me. I'll watch it again, but only because I love Genshiken 1 and 2 so much.

I get what you mean.
Jan 29, 2014 4:14 AM

Jun 2011
And now it's over. I'm going to miss this. Not sure how far the source material is, but I hope it gets another season; one can't get enough of Sue's antics.

That said, I think they kinda left things hanging with Hato and Madarame. The old cast could have used a bit more screen time, but given how little screen time the new members got (except for Hato), I suppose that's not much to complain about.
Feb 10, 2014 7:14 PM

Mar 2013
It was tolerable even with the massacre of the previous Seiyu, as well as the greatly altered character art/designs (not flattering). It had some interesting episodes and scenes, but its undeniably weaker than the Originals.

I will give this a 8/10 due to the heavy Madarame focus and the Madarame x Saki episode. Only "new" character i liked was Sui, and the only character i liked in all seasons was Madarame. The huge downgrade for his Seiyu was tolerable since as long as the design was largely unchanged and the personality intact and true to the manga, even if he was voiced by a Diseased Pigeon i'd like him.
Mar 7, 2014 8:09 AM

Jan 2012
started out well and kind of died out towards the end....

had me started doubting myself why I didn't enjoy first 2 seasons early on..

but then again, I'm a sucker for cross-dressing genre (no homo)
Mar 13, 2014 8:29 AM
Sep 2007
I like the Attack on Titan reference with Kushie
May 11, 2014 8:03 AM
Aug 2007
Nice enough final episode.. kinda wish we could have seen what Madarame and Hato talked about when Hato hugged him at the end of the previous episode. But I'm glad it all got sorted out by the end of the episode..

Attack on Titan reference was awesome and pretty much out of nowhere! Loved it.

The few hints at what happened between Genshiken 2 and Genshiken Niidaime (they've gone on an onsen trip before? that's when Sasahara and Ogi got together?) were very interesting and made me want to read the manga.

Another thing I'd like to mention, is that I think Genshiken is probably the best anime there is about a school (or in this case, University) club. There are lots of anime that revolve around school clubs, but none of them have this sort of progression.

I mean, you look back at the beginning of Genshiken, it was just a group of male otaku and you remember Sasahara being nervous about joining the group, and how Saki followed Kousaka into the club. And then Ohno joining and cosplay suddenly having a bigger focus in the anime. You remember Madarame's speeches about various subjects. You remember the times when Saki used to complain about not being an otaku, but then also used to defend Genshiken whenever there was trouble and you remember when Ogiue joined as a bratty little otaku hating girl.

Then you look at them now and Ogiue is now the leader of Genshiken, which has become a female dominated group and they've switched the focus more towards BL. All the old crew have moved on but, even though you miss them, you're ok with that because these new characters are interesting in their own ways, and you can reminisce WITH the characters when they think about their days with Genshiken (e.g. when Madarame said "it really was fun" to Saki).

I feel like Genshiken is the sort of anime that could keep on going forever.. I could easily see one of the new girls take over after Ogiue and the show then introducing new characters, who would once again take Genshiken towards a different focus. Ogi and Ohno would graduate and then take a background role. Occasionally you'd catch up with the original crew and maybe see some of them getting married. The cycle could continue for a long time. It's amazing when any story can continue without the original main characters.

The only thing that needs improvement is that you'd need to think up new ways to do the same activities, because they've done the Comic Fest arc and the School Festival arc too many times, even if it DOES become a club tradition to take part in those.

All in all, I've really enjoyed Genshiken. This particular season introduced many interesting characters and it was nice to see the old crew get some progress (especially Madarame). Obviously I didn't like some of the new VA's, but I got over it after a while.

I'll give this 8/10, but the series overall is one of the best around.
Sep 27, 2014 1:49 AM

Feb 2013
IT OVER!

That Attack on Titan reference at 13:00! That made me laugh! That was a awesome combo that Sue did to Kuchiki. I think it was Chun-Li from Street Fighter. Lots of fanservice this episode! I loved how when Ohno was laughing in the water her boobs were making ripples in the water.

I would like another season.
Dec 21, 2014 6:30 PM

Oct 2008
I simply adored the first two seasons (+ the OVAs), however, I only just got round to finishing up the series thanks to me being horrendously put-off by the change in voice actors when it first aired.

tapanda said:
I really like Genshiken, but this whole season just didn't feel enough like the original two for me to really get into it. Maybe it was the change of voice actors, maybe it was the slightly better animation. Who really knows though, all I can say is that I was a bit let down. However, this last episode was definitely one of the best.
Sadly, this show gets a 7/10 from me. I'll watch it again, but only because I love Genshiken 1 and 2 so much.

Yup. I think the reason is because they went away from group focused activities that allowed the viewer to learn more about Otaku culture and instead focused more on the character development. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

...also, did anyone else get the K-On! movie reference with Sue at the train station? (^.^;) Seriously, I wonder if anyone has managed to compile a list of all the references made in this show.
Jan 26, 2015 3:56 PM

Nov 2011
The lack of Saki really messed up Genshiken 2, and i was expecting the same thing here, but the character focused scenario really made up for it.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 30, 2015 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
Even in this third season, not tuti the chickens come home to roost, but still I attend to a disruption of the story. Not that it's a bad thing, since it benefits from the narrative and the plot at the end. Story that stays true to its characteristic, that narrate the events through a rhythm typical of the genre SOL, with a clear advantage on the events that seem natural in the way they are enjoyed by the viewer and so are not corrupt by omissions or haste in concluding an action, except perhaps the last events. I was really happy for the consistency shown in all seasons, about the involvement and interest in the history, which often fails in anime. I am satisfied with the work done by the IG Productions, it has given the technical quality and graphics, which had been lacking in the past, so as to become this full show from all points of view. The only drawback to all this for her, is the change of voice actors and the beginning of the series took place without telling some highlights.
A little sin that became widely forgive throughout its use, why my vote although somewhat lower than expected is 8.5 / 10! I look forward to the fourth season and is at the same level or higher than this third season.
May 2, 2015 4:47 AM

Mar 2013
I'm too consumed by the titan reference scene in this episode to spot any flaw. lol, it was just so hilarious. at first introduction (season 1) i thought kuchiki would be a pain in the ass character. but as story develop and progress, he's so hilarious and not annoying at all.
Jun 5, 2015 10:19 PM

Jan 2010
And that's Genshiken.

I'm not sure what I expected from this series. Perhaps something along the lines of Lucky Star that devolved into Welcome to the NHK. Instead, it was more closer to Bakuman, just with more eccentricities to it. Of course, the second season was the outlier, where it went a bit too far in some respects, but was still an okay part in of itself. With the second generation members, we lost most of the older characters and got some fresh new faces in. The second season was understandably dramatic, as the older members finally became full-fledged members of society, whether they wanted to or not. There's a lot of drama attached to it, so to amend the story, the new faces provided much needed energy and enthusiasm to both the club and the anime. So yeah, I definitely enjoyed Genshiken all the way.

Also, I'm definitely saving this image for future use.

Sep 15, 2015 2:25 PM

Apr 2013
I'm gonna start reading the manga very soon.
And I really hope we'll get a new season!
Jan 11, 2016 3:53 PM

Apr 2011
tapanda said:

Did they change, I didn't notice. Also I checked the voice actors for the characters, they are all the same so it looks lie they didn't change.
Apr 1, 2016 2:48 PM

May 2013
10/10, PLEASE MAKE MOAR! I loved absolutely everything about this season in general. Finally a look at the 腐女子 side of the otaku culture. I personally LOVE BL, and I was really excited to see it get some exposure in the mainstream. I LOVE HATO-CHIN!!!
落下のように、いつも落ちる。いつか救われることができるのかな? または落ち続けるでしょうか?永遠に
Jun 12, 2016 4:54 PM
Mar 2012
I've finally finished the last episode after holding on the series once and again.

In the beginning I liked the new characters. I knew a change and new air like that was coming because the old members finished college but I was not expecting it to become what it became.

The comedy was still nice. I loved Sue a lot but the sieres focused a lot on fujoshis, hato and Madarame that I feel it lost its escence.

In the first seasons I liked a lot that it showed me how otakus (the most dedicated to their hobbies) live in Japan and what challenges and problems they have to face but now I felt it was a boy transgendering and not knowing if he was falling in love with another man than anything else, and also, a lot of girls fantazasing the whole time with BL and the before mentioned guys.
Dec 13, 2016 4:20 AM

Feb 2013
Nice ending, I feel bad about Madarame overall though, I hope he finds a girl.
Aug 2, 2017 6:58 AM

Oct 2012
Ah yeah.. That trip
Aka that skipped trip because the anime skipped many things :P

"I'm sorry, can anybody who's not gay leave?"
Sue is so random xD

"Nyohohoho"????
I just remembered Koro-sensei :(
Is that Attack on Titan reference? xD

Aww that's was a nice ending... for this season
Need another season to wrap it all up!
Come on! When?
I guess this anime didn't get enough popularity to get another season :(
"Signature removed"
Oct 18, 2019 4:48 AM

Dec 2018
Apart from the BL centered people, this was really good

Already knew about SNK parody by YT thumbnails, but it was gold lol

Saki x Mada closure dried my tears

9/10 for me
Jun 8, 2020 1:21 AM

May 2010
Ah, my 5th re-watch Komplete.

The author have been doing Genshiken IF, I'm predicting Genshiken Nidaime 2 will be available by 2022 or it will by game over for good.
May 17, 2022 1:12 AM

Sep 2018
Overall, a solid season. Doesn't have the same atmosphere as the first two seasons for obvious reasons, namely the lack of the original characters and the amount of BL fangirling ever present in the series. Still had it's moments and laughs.

I wanted more in regards to Oguie and Sasahara's relationship, they seemed to skip a lot of their progress unfortunately. Hato was a great character and Madarame's struggles were finely shown. The rest were decent or downright shit like Kuchiki. Sue was simply along for the ride and one trick pony (a good one at that), though I kinda wish she played a bigger and possibly more developed/mature role. I think that OVA poster caught me off guard (the on with Sue on Madarame's shoulders). 7/10.
Aug 18, 2022 7:37 PM

Aug 2016
what an infuriating downgrade. nidaime should have never been made.
:v
Sep 16, 2022 9:39 AM

Jan 2020
Overall, I enjoyed this season a lot. Again, I don't particularly remember what happened in season one, as I think I watched it when it was airing and just never managed to pick up any of the sequels. But, I felt like this season just ran more smoothly. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It was nice to get some personal moments between characters this season too. Like there were a lot of touching moments that provided growth and emotional payoff, especially for me, the viewer. I think this series definitely does a good job of development. That's why I think some of the better moments are here at the end, where we see all the older characters sort of settling into their future selves.

Also, finally, this episode we got some fanservice from the new characters. Rika playing with boobs ftw.

I'll probably check out the manga eventually.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Oct 17, 2022 12:48 AM

Mar 2013
Amazing episode and series! I would love to have some more but it's time to part ways, I guess.
I will miss the theme songs, the characters, and the wholesome atmosphere of this story.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Dec 19, 2022 11:11 AM

Jan 2018
just finished rewatching it. gonna read the manga again <3
Jun 7, 2023 7:54 AM
Jul 2022
I dont know man It felt lacklusted, at the beggining i saw this anime as boring and a chore to watch but I still had an unknown conscience to continue watching it, this might be my old rule that was just recently broken about never dropping an anime. So i continued but after finishing them all I just feel like they couldve done so much more not much as a wasted potential but an easy stories that people would love, maybe more background and a reason for the Original president to go away and Sasahara also they both felt like tossed away even if he was a main character to a not much as a supporting with no good reason, tho the reason is he graduated and can no longer participate on genshiken but there no much as an ending or conclusion for them to go, Madarame carried the show for me but everytime I see sasahara it feels like 2 seconds of his screentime is powerful tho he did nothing special in this season at all, I was even suprised not seeing him in the cover before starting this season.

But still I loved the show, it feels like the type of show you want to grow up with while it continues to give more content.
Aug 15, 2023 9:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Seems like Production I.G. knows what's up, ending the season with an onsen anime-original like that. They're a veteran when it comes to this industry, after all, xD. 

K-On reference with that "Tachikawa" wordplay (London in the case of K-On). Plus, Kuchii's AOT titanic run and Sue's street fighter KO. All these references hit the spot, good stuff. As good as Hato-chan is good at cross-dressing, it is sad that there will indeed come a time when he'll have to give that up. Madarame quitting last episode was kind of a surprise and I really hope that he does end up getting something he's more interested in. I'll check out the manga of the series, so guess I'll just find out then. 

Interesting new characters we got this season, Rika-chan in particular was hyper and really fun to keep up with. I feel like Madarame-san got a lot of focus this season and it was honestly the pick of the lot for me! Especially that episode of him confessing to Kusakabe-san, that was so good ~

Feels like the series skipped over Oguie and Sasahara's main moment, so I'll begin with Volume 18 and 19, I guess. Strong 8/10. 
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 27, 2023 1:53 PM
Dec 2021
ok episode, decent anime. disliked fujoshi (rather have only gays rather than some females talking about it) aspect and hated trap part but ok anime.
Jan 2, 12:09 AM

Feb 2019
that was a nice finale episode. things got worked out between madarame and hato...or didn't they? either way, it was a fun, crazy ride lol
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2013

44 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 11:43 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

91 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 11:21 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

44 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

38 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 10:38 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Nidaime Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2013

42 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Jan 1, 10:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.