Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 13 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Oct 2, 2019 11:52 AM

Sep 2019
Raizel said:
Well I'm kinda in a confusing state now, that ending was meh, nothing special but seriously wanted more Junko scenes. overall not bad not good show 6/10
they just rushed it to much and that is the fall for this anime. It could have been something else if they worked a lil to hard.
Feb 20, 2020 8:04 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Good lord, this was one mess of a finale, I'm afraid.

So this was actually a proper school at first (2 years back), huh? I'd a feeling something like this was on the charts but certainly didn't expect the world and the school to go down such a devastating state out of the blue. And that "tragedy" (mankind's worst etc.) must've been set forth from Junko too, by the looks of it, which is honestly a little perplexing and obviously unrealistic but I'll take it.

Monokuma reviving in the end there suggests that there's a third-party involved in this, I suppose. No wonder how she managed to provide the others with the unlimited food storage and whatnot. I feel like this huge reveal and the final few moments was pretty much just a set-up for future installments, all things considered. Damn, these kids locking up the place themselves is quite deep, I've to say. They sure did a great job at it!

Anyway, looking at things from another perspective, Naegi convincing the survivors one by one and "installing" hope into them was pretty ridiculous, imo. Junko's instability with the character changes really stood out but sadly nothing else. Twin sister and then all these personas, now that's a tough nut to crack innit? Going through all the modes of torture there with happiness and dying off with Naegi's missing one, she really is a lost cause xD. Questions over the method of amnesia as well, of course.

I was hoping we'd see a bit more of the outside world with the group finally actually escaping too, what a pity.

Overall, I can't help but think it's 'meh' overall. Some of the cases were interesting but others just clear as daylight. "Sora wa Chigao yo" moments were probably the most interesting parts of the trials lol. Some more character exploration was dearly missing too, I couldn't help but not care at all for many of the characters and that's not a surprise considering this is just a 13-episode season. Op & ED were both lit though and some of the soundtracks great plus the VA for the most bit very good.

I'm going to give this a very generous 6/10 (deserves a solid 5, if I'm to be brutally honest) because, at the end of the day, it has gotten me curious on the games. Quite the interesting tale and it's nice to see that many of the hints given earlier are addressed in earnest.

Edit:
_MushiRock11_Feb 20, 2020 9:01 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 14, 2020 10:52 AM

Apr 2019
Did they forget to add a comedy tag to the genre of this anime.
Well, nothing I can do about it anyways. As always, lame protagonist in a mystery, psychological, but I guess the side characters made up for that. Junko's character was quite interesting and I personally liked the "teacher" and "serious" type phases that her face adapted to. Over all, OK anime, mostly because of the lame protagonist, pink-blood and terrible CG.
Rem is best girl
Apr 28, 2020 10:34 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It was bad too much rushed and characters were empty... 4/10
Apr 28, 2020 10:35 AM

Mar 2019
35mn episode was a scam, I was fucked
It was bad
May 12, 2020 9:55 AM

Jan 2015
I hope every trial was like the last one in the anime.
May 29, 2020 11:36 PM
May 2020
I hated this episode because they all almost sacrificed him. I would’ve like it if the
May 29, 2020 11:38 PM
May 2020
I hated how they all were going to sacrifice the protagonist. I thought that at least Kirirgiri would be on his side. But in the end it all worked out, so it ok.
Jun 4, 2020 6:19 PM

Jun 2016
There is no way I would recommend this as an alternative to the visual novel. It plays like a highlight reel while never establishing the cases or the characters as well as I feel it should. For reference, Hiro is my favorite Danganronpa character, and Toko is in my top 3 and their portrayal here didn’t tap into the aspects of them that I love. Hiro especially so.

That said, as a complimentary anime, this was actually really cool! The integration of game iconography and music was charming and it gives us an easy way to relieve such a long game if we don’t want to play through it all again. Along with this, we got animation of stuff we never could have in the visual novel. The constant off putting and comedic movement of Monokuma gives him an entirely different presence, little moments like Byakuya and Makoto looking at each other, Danny waving at the monitor, Mondo putting his coat on Mukuro’s body, etc. It gave the anime a sense of humanity and realness in its fluidity which isn’t possible in a visual novel from my experience.

Further, while missing out on the characters I adore because of their idiosyncrasies like Toko and Hina and Hiro, I think the anime ruled when it came to Kyoko, Byakuya, and especially Makoto. This is because those three are simple and broad in what I find appealing about them, rather than being specific. The anime captured all of them and their different schools of deduction and thought perfectly in my opinion! And I say especially Makoto because I really don’t like Makoto in the game but I like him here! I always thought as a protagonist Makoto was too bland and indecisive, it made for playing in his head to be frustrating and boring. He felt like a self insert yet he refused to do what the player wanted to do on many occasions which was just irritating in my experience. But even then I acknowledged that his archetype wasn’t bad and if he was a supporting character I’d probably like him. This proved that! Makoto as a character who doesn’t have to do nearly every definitive action by himself and who doesn’t get so much focus was freaking enjoyable for me.

Along with this, the cases, while not established wonderfully, had a great sense of flow lacking in the games. I felt in the games the characters relied on the main character too much, even when they were making a point, to progress the trial it would always lead to them asking the main character to say what they were going to say anyways. This was passable but during some crucial moments this felt artificial, and yes it's a game and I understand why it was like this. But here in a world without game limitations, this did not happen. Kyoko and Byakuya bringing up the tarp, the chicken blood, or the arrows in the Mukuro case are a perfect example of this. It felt like, while Makoto was very useful, the cast didn’t rely on him half as much. It felt like everyone was a useful person who brought their own strengths and interacted with each other in a believable and meaningful way more than ever.

I love getting to know a cast of characters in a claustrophobic space, loving them, hating them, perving on them, laughing with them, etc, all while seeing them form bonds and betray those bonds by murdering each other. It feels pristintely perverse as a concept and in execution. This adaptation didn’t give me that same reason for appreciating it, it even refused to show many of my favorite aspects of my husbando Hiro! But what it did bring was unique strengths that the visual novel lacked and where it butchered characters I adore, it made me appreciate ones I didn’t like as much like Makoto and Kyoko. Seeing Makoto and Byakuya interact on the same plane rather than him speaking to the player in a way that made me feel disconnected went so far to activate my fujoshi brain, I saw Makoto as a character and a person!!! Also, I liked seeing Monomi at the end, that was cute.
Jun 18, 2020 7:01 PM
Jul 2018
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
I love getting to know a cast of characters in a claustrophobic space, loving them, hating them, perving on them, laughing with them, etc, all while seeing them form bonds and betray those bonds by murdering each other. It feels pristintely perverse as a concept and in execution. This adaptation didn’t give me that same reason for appreciating it, it even refused to show many of my favorite aspects of my husbando Hiro! But what it did bring was unique strengths that the visual novel lacked and where it butchered characters I adore, it made me appreciate ones I didn’t like as much like Makoto and Kyoko. Seeing Makoto and Byakuya interact on the same plane rather than him speaking to the player in a way that made me feel disconnected went so far to activate my fujoshi brain, I saw Makoto as a character and a person!!! Also, I liked seeing Monomi at the end, that was cute.

Damn. Imagine the disbelief of running into this guy here. I thought they only did One Piece analysis lmfao.
removed-userJun 18, 2020 7:10 PM
Jun 18, 2020 7:10 PM
Jul 2018

^ Ahaha. They slipped this in the credits thinking we wouldn't notice. Surrounding it with other screencaps from the show. Those sneaky dogs.

This was a fine anime imo. Definitely an 8/10, most definitely for the tremendous amount of thought that went into it. The 4-5 class trials were especially interesting. Really makes your brain itch as you try to solve the murder along with the cast.

It's also interesting how pretty much every single character in the show was likable. Nearly everyone involved in the game wasn't necessarily antagonistic... all of them were just scared and confused teens, some acting on impulse. I can't even hold it against the three classmates that ended up being culprits. The real antagonist was the "Despair Sisters" and Monobear (who is apparently a sentient being?).

I'm still kinda confused as to how the world has fallen to ruin... I'm guessing the sentient Monobear actually did have something to do with it. And theeeeen, the principle tried his best to save the remaining students of the school but the Despair Sisters compromised everything.

Which is why all the students willingly accepted to stay without leaving!!! Ahh, it's all coming together.

Anywho, again, this was a fine, fine anime. The pacing was also just fine imo. I can kind of see how manga-readers would be furious about content being skipped over, though. A couple of critics say characters aren't given enough time to grow on the audience. I kinda disagree, though. Even the first victim -- the idol -- had a decent amount of screentime, strangely enough. And, yeah, if you're craving more content, then just read the manga, right? Instead'a holding it against the anime. After all, they exceeded the standard 12-episode count with a wHoPpiNg 13 episodes.

Yet again, I'll say I'm satisfied. Binged it in 2 days. I usually don't watch mystery animes so this was refreshing.

P.S. The 3D-ish animations (depicting the executions) were REALLY cool. Well done. Really added extra layers to this anime, going the extra mile by incorporating a variety of animation techniques for that grim yet creative effect.

P.S.S. I was really expecting the six survivors to open the door to the entrance and get totally wiped out.
removed-userJun 18, 2020 7:43 PM
Oct 7, 2020 8:40 PM
May 2019
Whilst I have not yet played the games, this still remains a rather flawed piece of work. Characters, specifically, I find rather flat and uninspired - likely because they lack the complexity the games have. The pacing is outright too fast and it's a rather rushed adaptation as a result. It would be better if it wasn't a 1-cour show, and actually properly adapted the games instead. The soundtrack was mainly fine, albeit forgettable. An exception would be that opening, which I couldn't stand. I am still utterly confused as to what's up with that purple blood - doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me unless it is for 'censorship' reasons. Whilst it is flawed for sure, I will still compliment its unique art style. It feels a bit game-like at times though, but it didn't bother me that much. Overall, it's forgettably mediocre and not even worth watching.
Nov 15, 2020 7:44 AM

Aug 2020
I am very confused. I still have so many questions that again, would be answered if I just played the first game lmao. I feel like Naegi figured out it was Junko so quickly and everyone was just like alright but he didn't really have very much evidence to back it up? At least to me that's what it felt like. I'm also really surprised Asahina made it so far in the game. This is also probably a me thing but I just feel like she didn't really contribute all that much and then she tried to kill everyone in one of the trials because she was upset. I can't really say I'm satisfied with the ending. I had full intentions of marking this a 10/10 just because I was really enjoying it but the last 2-3 episodes left me empty-handed. I do plan on playing the second game so hopefully that'll make me feel a lot better about the series as a whole.

Nov 21, 2020 5:11 PM
Jul 2020
Really cool series! Not much to say, suspenseful and cool climax.
Dec 16, 2020 6:04 AM

Jul 2020
Uhhh the ending is at least OK but it's kinda cliché. So that is the reason why I don't like it so much. It was predictable that something like this will happen.
Dec 16, 2020 9:00 AM
Dec 2020
interesting show
Jan 21, 2021 2:58 PM

Aug 2018
I'll shit so much, I maybe even shouldn't.. ;D It's even worse than Darling in the Franxx ending.. ;D Like, to end everything in sudden aliens/bears appearance?.. Yeah, that's Darling in the Franxx ending, where everything interesting gets thrown out of window, and it's all aliens.. Universe, please give me a break with such scenarios.. ;D I'm losing my shit how I dislike these kinds of endings..
Also, I didn't like both how in the end they discovered everything.. Majority of cases - "stop, we didn't talk that it was blue uniform" - so catching the one, who made the crime - on the saying something what he wouldn't know.. It's at the same time classic.. But at the same time it's really making useless to look at any clues by yourself, if in the end case is solved only because at the trial someone tells something they weren't supposed to know, and that's it.. In the end - all detective stuff is pointless, pretty much..
Also, what kind of motives everyone had?.. I'm not as strong as this crossdresser, who is working on accepting himself?.. What?.. I mean, I kinda can get it.. But it's also impulsive as fuck.. Or reason first kill happened?.. Because it was self-defense?.. Really?.. Or that killing for money - the best kind of motive out there.. ;D This show really teases you as if with deep characters or something, but that's not the case.. Reasons for everything are lame, and I even don't know lame enough word to describe how lame it is.. ;D
Maybe in games it's better, I don't know.. Also there are several games and anime titles, as I know.. But this anime is such shit.. ;D I don't mind it too much, I guess.. But it's just waste of time..
Mar 16, 2021 10:58 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Hmm ok so what to say... guess I can start as someone who hasn’t played the games and doesn’t intend to, I think this is perfectly fine as just so dumb plain simple fun. It’s entertaining while you watch it but once it’s over you’re probably going to forget all about it and move on. I would say though that even though the trials did nearly take up entire episodes, I do get the sense they are rushed, as apparently they are, and skip over a lot of things. There’s also little downtime which I’d think I would like, but I find it’s too fast and wish there was more character interactions aside from the investigations and trials; something else that they cut from the game, which apparently like 30 hours? Well anyway I’ve watched this and while I can say I’m mildly intrigued to play the game to see all that was left out, can’t say I’m interested enough to actually do it. All the major points I’ve already experienced anyway.

So plugging this into the moist meter I’m giving this a fat 40%, or a 4/10. Fyi, for me a 5/10 is average, a pass, one that I overall think positively of. So a 4 isn’t TOO low a score. Just giving it a 4 because despite being a good (but really depressing, holy shit) fun time, it’s still trying to cram a 30 hour game into a 4 hour 13 episode series, and you can really feel that even if you haven’t played the games.

Anyway, I’m just glad that a handful of them survived, including the best of the bunch being obviously kirigiri and the scion dude. And genocider sho is cool as well. Was afraid it would actually be like battle royale and only one person survives. But no it ends on a, mystery solving? Yeah I didn’t like that too much, felt kind of convoluted and lame with the word despair being thrown around a lot. I mean I guess it works, but it’s kind of just all over the place.

That’s it, it was fine, gonna probably forget about it now. That’s it, cya. Edit: though I am curious to see what the world is actually like outside. I really don’t feel like watching more of this, but I do want to know if it’s in flames as is suggested, but actually completely fine and they were just deceived all along...

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jun 12, 2021 2:42 PM

Aug 2018
This anime was wild as fuck and I did not play the game but damn this is some good shit I think I just became a fan of Danganronpa and I'll go and play the game now. Overall 7 out of 10
Apr 8, 2022 9:32 AM

Aug 2018
Junko's VA flexing her skills xD
Apr 18, 2022 8:49 AM
May 2019
Coming straight from the game, I actually enjoyed it. I get that it's designed to be the "cliffnotes" version. But the animation was nice, the voice acting was good, and the music was bangin. Solid watch
Aug 21, 2022 11:03 PM
Aug 2022
I love danganronpa!!!
Aug 24, 2022 6:56 AM
May 2020
i Really enjoyed the finale. All Wrapped up and "satisfying" end. Junko is cute
Aug 26, 2022 7:39 AM
Aug 2022
simplified version of the game
Aug 31, 2022 7:41 AM
Aug 2022
Since I love the game adaptation of Danganronpa: The Animation, I obviously love the anime.

Good job the team for making it, love you <3
Oct 25, 2022 3:52 PM
Sep 2021
mid ngl celestia carried
Oct 26, 2022 7:42 PM
May 2020
Good ending for a first season, I suppose.
Nov 12, 2022 12:05 AM
Nov 2022
god animation is bad you better play the games instead
Nov 30, 2022 11:34 AM
Oct 2022
masterpiece porcodio porcamadonna
Dec 17, 2022 7:58 AM

Jan 2021
I like Junko's voice when she's in sensei mode (when she wears glasses). She was very attractive. But seriously, Junko's seiyuu is really good to be able to change voices in a short time so many times. Moreover, Junko's personalities are extreme. It must be hard...

Also I actually like how Naegi encourages Togami by saying he's basically a prideful and arrogant person by nature lol so how could and why would he want to be controlled by someone else? He got everything he wanted, and even if he lose it then he will definitely get it back.

Asahina and Hagakure do tend to be the cowardly type so I'm not surprised they were terrified and fell into despair. I'm even more surprised they are still alive.. it's like those two are the luckiest character.

I'm still sad that Fujisaki and Sakura weren't there with them as the survivors T---T

Now the real Junko has dead but Monokuma is still alive...? The despair continues...

Jan 15, 2023 9:26 AM
Nov 2022
It was fine... not perfect and not bad. It was something in-between.
Feb 15, 2023 9:04 AM
Jul 2015
7/10 would give 10 if Junko Mastermind won it not dumbass mc and his fellow useless friends 5 💀💀💀

Im sorry im team despair i solely watched love this games bcs the despair characs i met which is DRV3 have many interesting cast

Then I met Junko & her twins despair team is so sexy the way they planned it & strategy planning whole stuff

For me Junko make it too easy by dropping hint to Naegi

I literally 1.75x speed all those Hope speech thats how much i hate protagonist hope theme

I love Despair Agonist Antagonist the way Junko controlling the world making everything doomed as she want love it

Literally she died by her own punishment she half masochist & suicidal murderous killing intent. Shes one of my main fav insane charac now. (Only appeared 1 half eps sad moment of mastermind stan)

I watched this anime despite knowing it since 2013 finally watched 2023 (2017 finally interested bcs of Pinterest) 

i like pinterest letting know lot of stuff. I only read information from Danganronpa fandom site for DR00 DR0 1 2 3 4
senekohanFeb 15, 2023 9:09 AM
Sep 14, 2023 2:50 AM

Apr 2013
And so it ends, not sure where the obsession with Junko comes from. I mostly started this anime because of her, but she only got some screentime in the very end. Eh...

So the story of this anime is basically, a high school girl destroys the world with teddy bears. Makes sense. 5/10
Oct 28, 2023 2:14 PM
Oct 2023
It obviously couldn’t go over the whole story, so of course it’s not exactly the best. But overall, the English dub made it fun and enjoyable, at least to me.
Feb 7, 5:07 AM

Sep 2007
They extended this last episode to 34 minutes just to use the same 5 shots for 28 of those minutes.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ihateeveryone - Jul 4, 2013

559 by aramkqly »»
Mar 16, 4:04 AM

» how should i watch Danganronpa ?

TheAdo - Dec 29, 2016

19 by InstantRamenKing »»
Feb 9, 10:20 PM

» whats up with Kyoko Kirigiri hands?

EagleEd - Jan 13, 2018

5 by kaamsas »»
Jan 13, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

148 by berlinza6as »»
Jan 7, 2:07 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2013

263 by Gator »»
Sep 13, 2023 8:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.