Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Sep 25, 2013 9:56 PM

Jan 2011
Wow, Free! is actually a pretty decent anime even with all the fanservice. There's lots of melodrama though but I still enjoyed Free! This last episode was very satisfying. Rei is such a good sport. That intense scene with Haru and Rin was done really well, especially with the music. Haru really matured since the first episode. As expected they came first in the relay and looked like Rin really enjoyed himself.
And all the fangirls and fujoshis came... xD
http://puu.sh/4AssV.jpg
Overall, Free! is an enjoyable show although this is definitely aimed at females. xD That ED song was great too.
7/10
Sep 25, 2013 10:15 PM

Jun 2012
Although I personally didn't love the series or anything, that ending was really good ^^ and I wouldn't mind a S2.

I do feel it's a little overrated, seems a little high considering what the series had. But nice relationships between friends. I myself would rate it a 6 or 7.

Sep 25, 2013 10:33 PM

Jun 2013
THIS WAS SO BEAUUUUUTIFUL!!!!!!
I was crying along with Rin throughout this episode ╥﹏╥
Loved the ending, Im really glad it turned out nicely and everyone's together again!!!
"see you next summer"

But now that it has ended, im sad because i have nothing to look forward to on Wednesday(s) anymore.....
Sep 25, 2013 10:59 PM

Sep 2012
Mikenzb said:

katsu044 said:
Watched it for Gou all i'm gonna say

Same here.

^
Sep 25, 2013 11:05 PM

Apr 2013
Aww Rin <3
nice conclusion.
Sep 25, 2013 11:18 PM

Jul 2013
Damn, the drama for the 1st half, very well done seeing Rin how he feels that he missed swimming with his friends. Well it was bad that they were disqualified but at least the whole gang is back in the end. Ending this with an 8/10.

Animation, especially the swimming, was pretty colorful and realistic, as well as the story, characters, and music were very intrigued. Though it could have been better if it focus on the tournament swimming and focus at least one episode for Rin's perspective.

Well, See you next summer!

Sep 25, 2013 11:30 PM

Sep 2012
great episode...

a second seaon in summer 2014...that's also great...

for the team...

xD
Sep 25, 2013 11:36 PM

Oct 2012
Everyone hates Nitori?

omg I love you all can i marry you guys

and whoever said Rei didn't get as much attention and was simply wiped off I 100% agree with you. But then again he did it in his own choice, otherwise he would've gotten in his butterfly suit and be all like "2FAB4U STUPID RELAY" but the way he was left out during the bromance moment I almost cried.
I mean, why him?
ah well at least Nitori got punched.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Sep 25, 2013 11:43 PM

Aug 2008
I LOVED this episode, so many feels~ 9/10, needs more Mako-chan haha :3

Looking forward to S2!

Sep 25, 2013 11:52 PM

Mar 2013
I cried the whole episode. My God, Rin... great ending.
Sep 25, 2013 11:53 PM

Nov 2012
Rin was finally not a bitch. He was actually pretty cute at the end.
Sep 26, 2013 12:08 AM

Jul 2009
weiqifan said:
Mikenzb said:

katsu044 said:
Watched it for Gou all i'm gonna say

Same here.

^
Sep 26, 2013 12:13 AM

Apr 2013
Love the haru-rin hug moment

looking forward to Season 2 :)
Sep 26, 2013 12:19 AM

Dec 2011
What a fantastic ending. Their big reunion hug nearly had me in tears, and I loved Nagisa's "enlightenment" moment out of them all, with seeing their symbolic animal counterparts. It really showed he's swimming just to be with his friends. :'D

Looking forward to next summer!
Sep 26, 2013 12:38 AM

Mar 2012
That was the most touching sad ending, i love it! way to go Kyoani!
now i`m waiting for season 2

Worst Character of the show : Matsuoka Rin and Rin`s kouhai

Veronin said:
Marow said:
MATSUOKA-SENPAI SENPAI YOU'RE THE BEST MATSUOKA MATSUOKA MATSUOKA-SENPAI YOU CAN DO IT SENPAI SENPAI SENPAI MATSUOKA YOU'RE SO COOL MATSUOKA SENPAI SENPAI

Oh god. I had to skip every single scene where he showed up.

I feel annoyed too, what`s worst than that?
his voice and his mole on the face, ewwww disgusting!!!
i want to use a knife and pierce that mole on the face!

problem solved :)
GridleySep 26, 2013 1:14 AM
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Sep 26, 2013 12:50 AM

May 2009
Once again, Rei proves to be the best member of the team. He was the only one who heard Rin out about his problems, understood where the problem lay and helped him understand once more what it is he started swimming for. Sure, it cost them their winning spot in the relay, but I think that winning wasn't really the goal, as it was more to bring back those former days of glory that they had lost ever since Rin left for Australia.

Excellent final episode, very good show, wouldn't mind watching a second season that will most likely come next year, given the initial success of the show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2013 1:19 AM

Jul 2012
SEE YOU NEXT SUMMER

WELL I SURE HOPE I DO
Sep 26, 2013 1:45 AM

Aug 2013
Edefrem said:
StevenHu said:
GtG_Home said:
need more sport to this anime.

Agreed.

And to think I started watching this series from Day 1 with the expectation that it would be a sports shounen that would cater to both genders. :/
Were you really expecting Free! to be a shonen?
.__.

...Really?

It is clear now that "Free!" is the first of its kind of anime targeted towards girls, so back then, I didn't know what to expect from this show.

To be honest, as a competitive swimmer in the past, I was really hoping for a swimming sports shounen.

Jovy said:
Although I understand that the true focus of the relay was Iwatobi + Rin, I found it funny how they didn't show any scenes of Samezuka's relay team which was competing in that same relay. The Samezuka relay team must have been so confused as to why their teammate is in an adjacent lane lol.

I'm pretty sure Samezuka's team would have been a lot faster than Iwatobi's team and was placed in a different heat.

Iwatobi was in Heat 2, so Samezuka might have ended up in Heat 1.
Sep 26, 2013 1:54 AM

Nov 2011
Great ending! :)
Can't wait for S2!
Sep 26, 2013 2:11 AM

Jul 2013
Nice Ending.. many fangirling screams!.kyaa~! I hope that there will be a next season and the "see you next summer" endcard make sense. Good job KyoAni for making such a great anime. :)
"Anything is possible if you stop doubting yourself, so put some more faith unto you!"
Sep 26, 2013 2:13 AM

Sep 2012
5/10 for me

This started out as a light-hearted and fun swimming anime, but it started to get "serious" and the forced drama just made it worse. It gradually got worse every episode, which is truly a shame.

Not to mention that this episode was really cheesy.
Sep 26, 2013 3:04 AM

Aug 2013
cheesy, it's cheesy for me, idk but a very good ending to the series, gonna miss them babies for sure especially my beautiful Rei lololol
good to see Rin's fresh attitude, and ofc waaaa 2nd season would be nice, I wanna see Iwatobi Swim Team and Samezuka Swim Team competing with other schools (resulting more interesting new characters) like how other sports anime (think about KnB and ES21)

overall, this gay swimming anime is good and I enjoy it, KyoAni you've done a good jobbu!
Sep 26, 2013 3:06 AM

Apr 2008
Rin finally broke and went into full berserk shark mode but in the end they managed to tame him.
Rei, oh Rei.
I actually find Nitori adorable.
I want to see them swim again.

...oh and I only watched this for Gou, def.
Sep 26, 2013 3:09 AM

Apr 2011
Great series. I loved it! All my happy tears ;-;

9/10

See you next summer.
Sep 26, 2013 3:15 AM
Mar 2010
This episode. I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, my cheeks were flushed, I was crying, breathing hard, shaking, hands were cold and I was depressed after I watched it.

It was everything I wanted. It was beautiful, astounding, magnificent!

The only problem I have with it though is poor Rei couldn't swim with them. I really respect him after this episode. Like others have said, the others didn't forget Rei. Rei himself has grown so much. Before he was insecure about his position in the team. But the fact that he gave up his spot for Rin shows much he trusts his team and how his bond with them has strengthened.

I better see a season 2 soon KyoAni!
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Sep 26, 2013 3:21 AM

Jul 2009
This was a very emotional last water time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Co1RQ_0emI
Sep 26, 2013 3:21 AM

Dec 2012
phoenixalia said:
This episode. I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, my cheeks were flushed, I was crying, breathing hard, shaking, hands were cold and I was depressed after I watched it.

It was everything I wanted. It was beautiful, astounding, magnificent!

The only problem I have with it though is poor Rei couldn't swim with them. I really respect him after this episode. Like others have said, the others didn't forget Rei. Rei himself has grown so much. Before he was insecure about his position in the team. But the fact that he gave up his spot for Rin shows much he trusts his team and how his bond with them has strengthened.

I better see a season 2 soon KyoAni!
HAHAHAHAH
I laughed at the bland storyline and the forced feels when Rin and Haru were 100% going to make out but the other 3 cockblocked them

6/10 I got a good laugh at this one

edit: people actually cried over this shit?
TurnipSep 26, 2013 3:30 AM

Sep 26, 2013 3:28 AM

Oct 2012
Turnipsia said:

People cry over everything I guess. Everyone cried at the last ep of [K] and although I admit the character that died was badass, I didn't shed a tear.

ah well some people are too sensitive more than others
Sep 26, 2013 3:30 AM

Dec 2012
Itermin8rX said:
Turnipsia said:

People cry over everything I guess. Everyone cried at the last ep of [K] and although I admit the character that died was badass, I didn't shed a tear.

All it was, was a forced over emotional guy which *very predictably* joined the team to swim and they got disqualified because of how predictable the story was... In other words, real funny shit that they wanted to spam me with "Male friendship" emotions that guys were suppose to have...

I still think the hardest part of this show was telling their family members they were gay

Sep 26, 2013 3:32 AM

May 2010
Rin so slow, seemed like he had an impact... Now Haru has that bad impact... Rei, you are awesome bro! The most developed character so far, I always loved his character but now I love his character as much as Makoto's, only Gou is ahead now. Hell yeah, Rin is back to normal! Finally stopped his tsundere act, so emotional... The bro feels! Why the hell was my Gou left out? At least she cheered for Makoto, such an OTP!

All the goosebumps! Poor Rei, but you are so awesome to give Rin your place. He grinned, hahaha. Hell yeah! THEY WON!! BUT GOT DISQUALIFIED... :/ Bro hug xD I was so excited throughout the race! My Gou looked so cute, looking at her brother. Sei is such a great captain, and good for Nitori, I mean Ai xD Rin and Rei's conversation xD

Last time seeing the beautiful visuals, last time hearing the epic ending song, last time hearing the great opening song, last time of expecting anything about Makogou, LAST TIME SEEING GOU!! At least give me a Gou before ending!... I am going to miss their friendship as well, all the brotps... And hell yeah, for a 2nd season! Please 10000x more Gou next summer, please!!! I am going to miss it so so much... 9/10!

So anyone still hates Rin? :p I am sure this softened many people's heart. Well, I predicted it all along, so never even bothered doing the work. I knew he was going to become good, he is a nice character anyways.
Sep 26, 2013 3:34 AM

Oct 2012
Turnipsia said:
Itermin8rX said:
Turnipsia said:

All it was, was a forced over emotional guy which *very predictably* joined the team to swim and they got disqualified because of how predictable the story was... In other words, real funny shit that they wanted to spam me with "Male friendship" emotions that guys were suppose to have...

I still think the hardest part of this show was telling their family members they were gay

and yet the guy who almost drowned gets no attention.
Invisible force of Akarin and Tadakuni now has Rei.
Sep 26, 2013 3:51 AM

Jan 2008
Solving Issues with Rei Ryuugazaki: Logic > Feels. Too bad they put him on the bus in the last episode, but someone must be the adult I suppose.
Nitori, just... go away. And never come back. Please.

Overally 7/10, initially I scored it 8, but fanservice was sometimes reaaaaaally cheesy (I was blushing all the time during shopping scenes and not in a fangirly way, mind you), Rin's drama was petty as hell and main characters acted like girls in guys disguise way too often. But it looked nice and kept me interested and fairly entertained so 7 + waiting for the second season but preferably with more believable plot.
CiaraSep 26, 2013 3:59 AM
Sep 26, 2013 4:01 AM

Aug 2011
although Kyoani didn't disappoint me in any of free! episodes but still didn't imagine the last episode to be this beautiful!

the episode was so much better than what I expected and more beautiful than what I wanted!

so much emotions and deep touching moments which make you shed tears x3
glad they reunited again <3
thanks Rei, you did an admirable thing ^___^

I really loved this episode and so happy to know that there's a second season (otherwise, I won't be this fine and ok now)

from the depths of my heart, thank you so much kyoani for this uncommon lovely anime

10/10

PS: RinHaru so happy for you <333333333333333
Sep 26, 2013 4:45 AM
Mar 2010
Turnipsia said:
HAHAHAHAH
I laughed at the bland storyline and the forced feels when Rin and Haru were 100% going to make out but the other 3 cockblocked them

Fine, it was a bland story to you, ok, we get it. No need to force other people to agree with your opinion.

Yes, I cried over it because in my opinion is was an amazing anime. I'm not going to ask you to agree with me or make fun of you for not liking it and I'd appreciate if you'd do the same.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Sep 26, 2013 5:11 AM

Dec 2012
phoenixalia said:
Turnipsia said:
HAHAHAHAH

Fine, it was a bland story to you, ok, we get it. No need to force other people to agree with your opinion.

Yes, I cried over it because in my opinion is was an amazing anime. I'm not going to ask you to agree with me or make fun of you for not liking it and I'd appreciate if you'd do the same.
You see, you're a girl so you wouldn't know what guys do in a guy friendship... none of this shit happens in real life, most guys would screw each other over if a girl was involved so this story was impossibly bullshit and like most anime... Had a bland ending...

Sep 26, 2013 5:11 AM

Dec 2011
Very corny final episode but still fun.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 26, 2013 5:35 AM

Feb 2008
Aaannnddd it's over, it was a decent watch overall.
Was going to give it a 6, but because of that gorgeous KyoAni animation I'm bumping the score to a 7/10.
Sep 26, 2013 5:49 AM

May 2013
So second season is at summer

I was expecting that they will get disqualified :D
Sep 26, 2013 6:05 AM

Apr 2012
Well if your going to get disqualified then do it with style! ^_^ Very good series with some excellent characters. 8/10
Sep 26, 2013 6:05 AM

Aug 2012
I loved this episode, I cried when Rin was crying. Loved the bromance.
There better be a next season.. can't miss my swimming boys.

I really liked the animation and the story of this anime.
overall 8/10.
Sep 26, 2013 6:21 AM

Nov 2008
In the end I'm awfully disappointed in the amount of actual swimming there was. I KEPT ON HOPING.

Animation was good though. 8/10.
Sep 26, 2013 7:17 AM

Jul 2011
Nice series overall. I hope for a second season.

7/10
Sep 26, 2013 7:34 AM

Jun 2012
Turnipsia said:

well you know.... people cried because the thing they loved just ended, isn't that reason enough?

apart from the novel (which is a prequel) and some randoms drama CDs, there's nothing else of Free so yes, it's pretty sad it ended

- I only draw freestyle! -
Sep 26, 2013 7:34 AM
Mar 2010
Turnipsia said:
You see, you're a girl so you wouldn't know what guys do in a guy friendship... none of this shit happens in real life, most guys would screw each other over if a girl was involved so this story was impossibly bullshit and like most anime... Had a bland ending...

....what does that have to do with my reply?

But, ok. You're right. I'm a girl, I don't know what really happens with friendship among guys. Yeah. ok, none of this happens in real life but since this is catering to fujoshi you have to expect some amount of pandering right?
Sep 26, 2013 7:48 AM

Sep 2011
7/10 - Best character was Rei. Tried to be tolerant of Rin but his tantrums were so grating that they really pushed it for me where really I couldn't stand it anymore (especially considering how much everyone else tries to comfort and make compromises for him). Rei pretty much saved the entire show with his character and pushed the good score for me.
ronriSep 26, 2013 2:27 PM
Sep 26, 2013 8:49 AM

Dec 2009
Rin spent 11 episodes bitching while Rei was having fun with his team, just so in the end Rin could replace him in one of the competitions. How fun is that.
Sep 26, 2013 9:20 AM

Jan 2012
Well somehow I think this episode was kind of annoying/boring I don't know... And I still don't like Rin
Sep 26, 2013 9:34 AM

Jul 2013
Lyrisia said:
Well somehow I think this episode was kind of annoying/boring I don't know... And I still don't like Rin

Hahaa. I've got the same but not Rin - don't like Rei. he make me feel... i don't know ... angry? Confused mayby (of course confused in that bad way .-.) ? I don't even know :P
We're all mad here
Sep 26, 2013 9:58 AM

Feb 2012
So they screwed over the best character for Rin?. At least give Rei an magic scene *smh. Disappointed 7/10, was good. Would bump it up to 8 if wasn't for Rin and retard underclass-man. Hopefully Rei will shine in the inevitably S2.
IciBurnSep 26, 2013 10:06 AM
Sep 26, 2013 10:04 AM

Jul 2011
damn it the manly feels in this episode.
hoping for second season next summer. :)
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2013

102 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.