Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 22, 2013 3:13 PM

Dec 2012
So I plan on watching every Gundam ever, and there's a lot. What order should I watch them in, or does it not matter?
Never forget! Don't believe in you who believes in me, don't believe in me who believes in you, believe in you...who believes in yourself!
May 3, 2014 12:22 PM

May 2014
At the very least watch the original one and Zeta first to get a proper introduction to the franchise (and decide whether you'll like it or not).
Jul 20, 2014 7:43 PM

May 2012
Well if you're interested in mecha then I suggest you start here:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/2001/Tengen_Toppa_Gurren_Lagann
Jul 20, 2014 7:50 PM

Jun 2014
I recommend starting with the original Gundam 0079, and then watching Zeta Gundam after that.

Jul 20, 2014 7:50 PM

Mar 2013
My first Gundam was 08th MS Team, which was awesome. Not sure if that means it's a good way to start watching Gundam though, since it remains my only completed Gundam.
Jul 20, 2014 7:59 PM

Sep 2011
I started with the original from the 1970's then worked my way up, gundam is split into a bunch of different universes and currently iv only watched all of its largest one, the universal century timeline. Theres a shit ton of entries in there but the 5 you need to keep an eye out for are these

079 < zeta < ZZ < char's counterattack < unicorn.

they follow a chronological series of events and feature characters from previous installments. They should not be seen out of order. Other than that I believe you can just start with any one gundam you want. I personally recomend starting 079 then working your way up, the original is VERY flawed and shows a ton of age but theres still alot of good behind it and its interesting to see where so many ideas sao common in today's anime found their inspiration. I do actually believe its 3 compilation movies did a great job of cutting the fat and fixing some iffy parts but others may disagree with me there so be wary of my possibly unpopular opinion

Anyhow watching from the start and watching your way up is really cool cause you get to see the improvements over the series both in writing and animation. Then when it begins branching off from new writers and directors you get to see the versatality of the series

I would like to mention though, in my biased opinions these are the ones that i personally found to be really good:
-zeta gundam
-080 war in the pocket(can be watched without any knowledge of original series)
-unicorn(must be watched after seeing 079, zeta, ZZ, and chars counterattack)
-MS team (can be watched whenever without any knowledge of previous)
-victory gundam (I'll be one of the 3 people to say i really liked this series.)
-G-gundam (only non universal gundam iv watched, im still watching actually but its too freaking fun and awesome to not already know i love this show, is more like a crazy over the top saturday morning cartoon than the war drama of the other gundam)

Hopefully this helped you decide where you want to start watching.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 20, 2014 8:04 PM

Sep 2011
SharkInMyTea said:

Thank you that will be my plan !
Good to hear, let me know what you think when you do, and are you going to watch the original TV series or the 3 movies?

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 20, 2014 8:19 PM

Nov 2012
The simplest answer is start with Gundam 00. It's one of the most recent releases with high production values and a solid story, and because it is based in its own brand new timeline unrelated to the other gundams, you don't need to see anything else first to follow along. It is considered a spiritual successor to Gundam Wing, which was previously what helped popularize Gundam in the west, but is probably too dated for a lot of people who are just starting to get into the Gundam metaverse now.

Otherwise, you can always start with the original Mobile Suit Gundam from the 1980s and move along watching them in order of release from there.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jul 20, 2014 8:24 PM
Jul 20, 2014 8:28 PM

Sep 2011
Alright thats accurate, cause I got war in the pocket on my first go and thats by far one of the best gundam out there only topped by the excellent gundam unicorn.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 20, 2014 8:31 PM
Aug 2011
Ryugen said:

They were asking for Gundam not Gurren Lagann.
Read; can you even do it?
Jul 20, 2014 9:17 PM

May 2012
parfaited said:
Ryugen said:

I see nothing wrong with giving a suggestion to someone who is getting interested in mecha.
Jul 20, 2014 9:53 PM

Sep 2011
Ryugen said:
parfaited said:

I see nothing wrong with giving a suggestion to someone who is getting interested in mecha.
But he asked for gundam, not mecha as a whole. Starting mecha is easy, starting gundam is confusing as fuck because of its trillion installments that sometimes and sometimes dont tie into eachother. Its very easy to watch a random gundam and then suddenly be saying the words
".....what the fuck is a newtype?"

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 20, 2014 10:00 PM
Aug 2011
JizzyHitler said:
But he asked for gundam, not mecha as a whole. Starting mecha is easy, starting gundam is confusing as fuck because of its trillion installments that sometimes and sometimes dont tie into eachother. Its very easy to watch a random gundam and then suddenly be saying the words

Thanks for being more elegant in answering than I was.

FRUSTRATION, I felt it.
I need to stop posting.
Jul 20, 2014 10:14 PM

Jun 2008
Start with the original
Jul 20, 2014 10:18 PM
Oct 2012
Hmm... Now that I see this thread I can't help but agree with this. I have always been interested in the Gundam series, but truthfully have absolutely no idea how to start it. Is there like a certain season that is the absolute start and the series continues on from there through different seasons, or do the individual seasons not actually involve the same characters for each season. I am interested in this subject as well and would also love to see more suggestions in this thread on where to start.
Jul 20, 2014 10:25 PM

Sep 2011
Kolle said:
Hmm... Now that I see this thread I can't help but agree with this. I have always been interested in the Gundam series, but truthfully have absolutely no idea how to start it. Is there like a certain season that is the absolute start and the series continues on from there through different seasons, or do the individual seasons not actually involve the same characters for each season. I am interested in this subject as well and would also love to see more suggestions in this thread on where to start.

gundam 079 is the definitive start of the seires and franchise, its has multiple sequels that carry the same characters(if they survive long enough to make it to another season) and same rules and powers, it goes:
gundam 079 < zeta gundam < ZZ gundam < char's counterattack < gundam unicorn < *series goes througha reboot despite being in the same universe and having cannon cameos of previous characters in spin offs* < F91 < victory gundam < G-saviorA thing that doesnt exsist

Then theres the way shorter and easier to explain sequels of other timelines,
gundam 00 1st season < gundam 00 2nd season
and
Gundam seed < seed destiny
there thats way easier aint it

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 20, 2014 11:22 PM

May 2012
JizzyHitler said:
Ryugen said:

I do agree with what you're saying, but for me Gurren Lagann was what opened me up to the mecha genre, which is why I thought I might give him a friendly suggestion about it. I don't understand why what I said was so bad that he has to be a dick about it.
Jul 20, 2014 11:39 PM

Aug 2013
My guess would be from the first episode.
P DOPE.
Jul 20, 2014 11:47 PM
Aug 2011
...because it was a specific question pertaining to a franchise that is confusing as fuck at quick glance and that's how I answer the majority of questions on this board.
Jul 21, 2014 1:05 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I'm on a quest to watch all the Gundam series and this list helped me find my way through all of them: [url]http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=307359#msg11102429[/url]
Jul 21, 2014 4:56 AM

Jan 2009
Gundam shows can be classified into 2 categories :

1- Universal Century (UC) timeline : This is the original story. It's the backbone of the saga and there is a continuity between the series.
0079 (prefer the recap movies over the series), Zeta (avoid the recap), ZZ, Char's Counter-attack, Unicorn, F91, Victory, 0080, The 08th MS Team, 0083 (avoid the recap), The Origin (prequel, currently produced)

What is in bold : Best of UC, watch in that order.
What is in Italics : These OAVs are short spin-offs of the UC that can be watched in any order without having to watch anything else. These are the most recommended for someone who just wants to quickly discover Gundam.

2- Alternative Universe (AU) :
Each series is a independent. You can watch watch them without knowing anything of Gundam. By release date :
Mobile Fighter G Gundam, Wing, After War Gundam X, Turn-A Gundam, Seed and Seed Destiny, Gundam 00, Age, Build Fighter, G no Reconquesta
OkiuraMay 25, 2015 2:48 PM
Jul 21, 2014 7:05 AM

Sep 2013
Start with: Gundam Wing

End with: Gundam Wing

Seriously, the rest of the shows all have generic Gundams with generic pilots.
Jul 21, 2014 7:57 AM

Nov 2013
Old_Raven said:

You haven't even watched anything besides Wing so how can you make such an absurd claim?
Jul 21, 2014 8:25 AM
Aug 2011
Old_Raven said:

Have fun with one of the crappier Gundam series then meanwhile you miss out on the greatness of some of the others.
Jul 21, 2014 8:49 AM

Sep 2011
I'm still gonna watch it but isnt gundam wing considered to be one of the weakest installments in the franchise alongside victory and seed? I keep hearing it replaces tragedy with rule of cool fights(more so than usual) and has 1 dimensional characters that dont really evolve past their appearances.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 21, 2014 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty much all of the popular Gundam series are as inconsistent and poorly handled as SEED/Wing etc imo. So I take that with a grain of salt these days.
Jul 21, 2014 9:18 AM

Sep 2011
jpem said:
Pretty much all of the popular Gundam series are as inconsistent and poorly handled as SEED/Wing etc imo. So I take that with a grain of salt these days.
yeah thats what Im doing too, i was just saying. I really started taking what the hardcore fanbase's generla opinions with a grain of salt in contrast to my own tastes when i found myself thinking chars counterattack was awful and that tomino as a whole was a very flawed director. I respect his progressive ideas and evne quite like/love some of his gundam, but hes simpylt oo inconsistent and downright careless with his sometimes great ideas.

But im getting side tracked and the avbove statement is already flame war worthy as it is so ill stop myself there. But yes i do take it witha grain of salt and do plan on giving wing and seed a fair shot, though im gonna likley pass on age.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 21, 2014 9:57 AM

Mar 2012
Well, I haven't seen them all, but here's what I can tell you...

UC series/OVA

079 - It's not bad, hell, it's pretty damn good for the late 70s. Obviously it won't be great in regards to action since action animation in anime has improved dramatically over the years, but it does have one of the better stories of the Gundam universe.

Zeta - This is the sequel to 079. In my opinion, it's one of the best series in the franchise. For it's time, it's animation is incredible.

ZZ - Sequel to Zeta. THIS SUCKS! I'm not sure if you want to watch this since it is the prequel to CCA, but if my memory recalls, it doesn't tie in to CCA particularly well...so you can probably skip it.

CCA (Char's Counterattack) - I'm on the fence about this one. I don't know if it's amazing or just mediocre. I watched it immediately after ZZ because I needed SOMETHING to get ZZ off my mind. Well, the thing I hated about it is that I didn't find the ending of the anime particularly well executed. I wasn't even sure what happened. I've only read theories about what happened at the end, it was so vague. Amuro Ray (the protagonist from 079) comes back as the protagonist of this one. Whether that sells you on watching it or not.

UC (Unicorn) - Honestly, I've only seen the first two episodes. However, chronologically speaking, it does happen after CCA in the UC universe. The first two episodes were pretty damn good...just haven't gotten around to watching the following five episodes yet.

Other series

Gundam Wing - I keep hearing people saying this is amazing...and to be honest, I watched about 30 episodes but I had a hard time with this one. I just couldn't give a shit about Heero. He was such a bland, uninteresting MC. I'm sure I'll go back and finish this someday, but God, I just couldn't get invested in the characters in this one. Plot wise, it is one of the better ones, but I have a hard time keeping an interest in the series if I can't get invested in the characters.

Gundam X - This was okay. It isn't the most amazing Gundam series on the planet. Hell, I think it actually has some of the better mech designs in the Gundam franchise. It does have kinda of a sweet romance to it (albeit it didn't finish as strong in that department as I would've liked).

Gundam Seed - As much as a lot of Gundam fans would chastise me for saying this, but I would have this a little higher on the "recommendation" list than most. Gundam Seed, for me at least, was one of the most enjoyable in the franchise. For some reason, it's the anime series I've re-watched more than any other anime I've ever watched. Then again, I like a nice romance and pretty visuals. The bigger problem with this series is that it likes to "recycle" scenes. It didn't bother me so much, but I did notice it's a common complaint.

Seed Destiny - The sad part is, as much as I loved Seed, I CANNOT recommend this. Destiny is one of the most loathsome Gundam series I've ever watched. Then again, Shinn is one of the most unlikable Gundam characters I've ever seen. Hell, he actually makes Heero seem like a likable main character with a fantastic personality. The good news is this series does get a little bit more tolerable later on when Kira sort of reverts back into the MC role, but it doesn't improve enough to save it from being a really bad anime.

Gundam 00 (including 2nd season) - Again, one of the better Gundam series that I'd highly recommend. It's highly political, highly dramatic, visually stunning. It was just an overall enjoyable series. Setsuna can be a little bland, but they at least develop his character a little and his backstory actually makes sense as to why he might seem a bit cold and disinterested.

00 Awakening of the Trail Blazer - Personally speaking, this movie sucked. I mean, REALLY sucked. It basically turned the "politically" driven Gundam franchise and turned it into an "alien invasion survival" anime. That doesn't fit the Gundam mold well at all. Not to mention it basically flipped a big middle finger to EVERYTHING the original 00 series built up. Yeah...let's just say I'm not fond of it, so I can't recommend it.

So I'd categorize it like this...

Watch
Zeta
CCA (barely, it has it's moments)
Unicorn (from what I've seen)
X
Seed

Maybe
Wing - I'm not the foremost expert on this one. Seems like some people love it and some people think it's bland...I'm in the latter department.

DON'T
ZZ
Seed Destiny
00 Awakening of the Trail Blazer
Jul 22, 2014 1:16 AM

Nov 2012
Old_Raven said:

You haven't even watched any of the other gundams to know.

I'm still gonna watch it but isnt gundam wing considered to be one of the weakest installments in the franchise alongside victory and seed? I keep hearing it replaces tragedy with rule of cool fights(more so than usual) and has 1 dimensional characters that dont really evolve past their appearances.

It's been a long time since I watched it, but personally I remember it fondly. It could be my bias speaking though because it was my gateway into Gundam when I was just a kid, but I do know at the very least that it's much better than the entirety of SEED and SEED Destiny (have not seen Victory yet).
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jul 22, 2014 8:21 AM

Mar 2009

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

65 by darthtruder »»
Apr 19, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

102 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 26, 2008

79 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 14, 8:36 PM

» Complete Watch order

Grontan - Jan 2

15 by JoniGamer1996 »»
Apr 1, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 25, 2010

53 by T3RCK_Z »»
Mar 12, 6:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.