Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

If free had an all-female swim team cast, would it be the most popular show ever?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 23, 2013 2:29 PM

Jul 2012
most likely it'll be marked as "ecchi" LOLOL

hotstud6969 said:
no bc not enough skin bc they wear those types of swimsuits

^
Sep 24, 2013 5:40 AM

Jun 2013
tsudecimo said:
seikipunch said:
I guess most people prefer sports anime with male casts. Making a sports anime with an all-female cast just for fanservice is just pointless.

You are calling free pointless then.

Nope. I just said that making a sports anime with an all-female cast for the purpose of fanservice is pointless. Like if there were a football anime where MCs with bouncy boobs run around, it would be a complete train-wreck.
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

"It would be great to live as a human"
-Meruem, King of the Ants
Sep 25, 2013 4:36 PM

Mar 2010
Nope.

I don't know, Free! was refreshing as it was. KyoAni is really good at storytelling in such a short time (I felt really good after watching Chunnbiyou too so I really like KyoAni as of late), but to me, a female version wouldn't make any sense nor would have made waves as it did - it would make the show more generic to me if it was an all female-cast. I think it could be done, especially with the way KyoAni has done their shows in recent years, but it wouldn't have the same effect at all. This is honestly the first show I have ever watched that appealed to a broad female audience (that wasn't just into shounen-ai or yaoi undertones that's not a bad thing either but still) with a pretty decent storyline, character setup and the like. And it's by my far my favorite sports anime of all time too.

I just really liked the show because, while it was a bit of fan service for women (because I will admit it, I did initially only want to watch this show because the guys were hot from the commercial), it was still a pretty decent anime for what it's worth. It wasn't overtly fanservicely (is that a word?) like shows can get when aiming for a particular audience and the characters were pretty solid. Although some of the drama felt a bit fast paced toward the end, they did it a good job wrapping up the major underlying problems among the characters and making it pretty easy for them to make a second season if they chose to.

I'd be fine if they didn't make a second season, but if they did, I'm all there. Hell, I want a damn jacket and Haru plush at this point.
Sep 25, 2013 4:42 PM

Mar 2010
seikipunch said:
tsudecimo said:
seikipunch said:
I guess most people prefer sports anime with male casts. Making a sports anime with an all-female cast just for fanservice is just pointless.

You are calling free pointless then.

Nope. I just said that making a sports anime with an all-female cast for the purpose of fanservice is pointless. Like if there were a football anime where MCs with bouncy boobs run around, it would be a complete train-wreck.

^^ Agreed.

I think this is a valid point. Free! had a good setup going for it because it was different in that the characters were male and it was a sports anime that was a bit of fanservice, but was also a good show to watch. If anything, unfortunately, if this anime was geared toward men in making an all-female audience, it would have more fan-service and it would make it really hard to find appealing for both men and women because for the most part, KyoAni can do cutesy moe, but sexy? I wouldn't want to see that because I see it a lot in animes already. I'm sorry, but I don't see the reason why so many men can't get past letting women have one show geared toward them. That's just my opinion, but I think that's why KyoAni made Free! the way it was because that was their main audience for a long time and it was a good idea to expand their fanbase (I mean, I honestly do not know many women who watch K-On or Lucky Star for the cutesy moe characters - they exist but I don't know many).
Sep 25, 2013 4:43 PM

Dec 2009
No, calm down fuck.
Sep 25, 2013 5:56 PM
Jan 2009
seikipunch said:

You have a point. Though I wouldn't say the fanservice is pointless (since it's the main reason the show is successful) I do think that it is hard to sell a sports anime with girls in it. I can only think of one "sports" anime with a main female cast and that was Bamboo Blade. Though I think the show was successful it never was at the level of popularity of similar shows with a male cast.
Sep 25, 2013 6:08 PM

Jul 2013
I've gonna put this out there for the sake of putting it out there:

Have a non-hentai(hella echhi tho think Kiss x Sis) futa version of Free! with lolis,shota,genderswaps, beastiality and tentacles for good measure! That way everybody is happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD

Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Sep 25, 2013 6:11 PM

Jan 2011
Irrelevant. Still boils down to the story. Shows with the hottest female cast with a weak ass "everything else" aren't overly popular and it's because it drops the ball in other categories.

Free was good. Male cast and all.
Sep 25, 2013 6:20 PM

Jul 2013
tsudecimo said:
It would be popular but I don't know if it will sell or not. It will also be an experiment since Kyoto ani don't do fan service.

http://jedko.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/moe-467-sample.jpg
Sep 27, 2013 9:22 AM

Jun 2008
weiqifan said:
Face_Faith said:
weiqifan said:
and her brother Gou, absolutely loves drooling at her non-existent (or less-defined) muscles...

If the main cast was female and it was still an anime about swimming, they'd have to keep the bodies in similar shapes. I do think that guys with muscles are more popular (with a female audience) than muscular girls could be (with a male audience)...

LOL that paragraph wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

But yes, they'll most likely be in similar shapes (or as similar as high school female swimmers can get, because I don't think they will look very muscular, judging from my own experience and Google's photos), but their muscles are going to be less-defined, definitely. The main cast can probably be slender-looking female with not much visible muscles and few would complain...

And yes again, LOL. It would be difficult to pull off Mikasa Ackerman 2... or would it?

I had that thought anyway, but since you already brought it up I thought adding that would be better~
Sep 27, 2013 9:23 AM
Aug 2011
No.
Sep 27, 2013 11:45 AM

Jul 2013
it's depends from age of these girls... :D
We're all mad here
Sep 27, 2013 3:25 PM

Apr 2009
I don't think so.
First of all, it started because so many people freaked out after seeing the demo vid thing. Who freaked out? Girls, for finally having an anime that really caters to them. This would not have happened if they were all girls as it would melt in with pretty much every anime ever. Why would anyone care about yet another seemingly fanservice anime involving girls. Free! got such a huge headstart because it was original and for once women had the same amount of fanservice men usually have.
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Sep 27, 2013 3:49 PM

Jun 2007
blue001 said:
all the recent anime have all-female cast

Just shut the fuck up.

GracefulDownfallGirls, for finally having an anime that really caters to them.[... said:
Free! got such a huge headstart because it was original and for once women had the same amount of fanservice men usually have.

You too. There's nothing original about Free. It's a sports series revolving around a primarily male cast along with some manservice for the ladies. Don't pretend those never existed and aren't still hugely popular now. Fujoshi are a known market and they always have shows directed at them and made to provide them with fanservice.

Free is not original, it's not new in any way aside the literal series being a new one, and it's not the first (nor even remotely close to being the first) show to give females "the same amount of fanservice men usually have". Nor was it the first show of this type to come with a supposedly good story.

You people need to stop talking out of your ignorant asses - not knowing things doesn't give you justification for making shit up and assuming massive generalizations you think up are correct. Almost this entire thread is filled with this same ignorant shit.
TallonKarrde23Sep 27, 2013 3:57 PM
Sep 27, 2013 9:07 PM
Mar 2013
If the animation is as beautiful and detailed, I'd say why not! It would be a good fanservice show to the males. I wouldn't watch it though unless the plot is good. :P

The only thing is that Free! was popular because of the girls, so people might become upset haha.
Sep 28, 2013 4:09 AM

Sep 2009
NO NO NO NO NO !
*ANIME I.NTERE.ST*----> +IN anime pictures and get FREE anime & manga merchandize from JAPAN!
Sep 28, 2013 7:12 AM

Sep 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
blue001 said:
all the recent anime have all-female cast

Just shut the fuck up.

GracefulDownfallGirls, for finally having an anime that really caters to them.[... said:
Free! got such a huge headstart because it was original and for once women had the same amount of fanservice men usually have.

You too. There's nothing original about Free. It's a sports series revolving around a primarily male cast along with some manservice for the ladies. Don't pretend those never existed and aren't still hugely popular now. Fujoshi are a known market and they always have shows directed at them and made to provide them with fanservice.

Free is not original, it's not new in any way aside the literal series being a new one, and it's not the first (nor even remotely close to being the first) show to give females "the same amount of fanservice men usually have". Nor was it the first show of this type to come with a supposedly good story.

You people need to stop talking out of your ignorant asses - not knowing things doesn't give you justification for making shit up and assuming massive generalizations you think up are correct. Almost this entire thread is filled with this same ignorant shit.

i agree
Sep 29, 2013 2:50 AM

Apr 2009
TallonKarrde23 said:

Everything you just said doesn't change that fact that it got a huge headstart because it catered to women. It literally wouldn't have been made w/o such a major reaction on the internet and all the petitions that followed. That's the point I was trying to make.
Also, please direct me to an anime that is like Free! in all of its aspects and not just a sports anime with an all male cast that also happens to be good looking. Because I've been pissed off about the prevalence of fanservice for men for quite a while and was actually looking for anime to balance it out but no, the ~fanservice~ women usually get is just an all-male cast of good looking guys. I don't really remember running into something where there were random pointless muscle shots of barely clothed men before (if we exclude hentai).
If there was something like that before you're still wrong cause it obviously wasn't very popular otherwise people would've actually been aware of it.
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Oct 2, 2013 12:14 AM

Jun 2011
No.

If it's gender bent, and full of useless fanservices like boobs bouncing or bikini, it'll be worse in quality.

If it's like the norm, the same story with this, and the same character personality, then the one with Rin's personality would seems like a bitch, even more than jerky Rin.

All in all if this is gender bent, it won't work out.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 2, 2013 8:16 AM

Dec 2007
There are shows that cater to horny hetero men every season. Busty females, kawaii lolis and all that.
Of course it's popular since we finally get one aimed at girls (or faggots like me). Bring it on.
Oct 22, 2013 2:02 PM

Jan 2012
No, because there are already many anime like that which gather to men out there.

Free! is quite unique in that regard and therefore has little competition. That is why it's so insanely popular right now.
Oct 26, 2013 4:05 PM

Oct 2012
It would be popular with boys, that's for sure.
Oct 27, 2013 12:32 AM

May 2011
^ true. Would definitely be popular with the boys. And am sure it would have tonnes of fanservice for them too (similar to all borderline stuff that is thrown as us every season in most shows nowadays)

I love the fact the an anime with the sport of swimming was made and that too with awesome animation. My only regret about this show is that the guy are not manly enough. They have girly name AND personalities. It was quiet awkward to see a girly behaviour of a hunk like him -> http://myanimelist.net/character/83027/Makoto_Tachibana especially T_T

the only guy who had a better personality (i mean the right kind of attitude) of all was Rin.
Oct 29, 2013 5:11 AM
Oct 2013
omg guys. this anime was an adaptation of a novel with a male cast -_-
Oct 29, 2013 7:08 AM

Sep 2011
I don't know I'm not a predictor :D
Nov 17, 2013 6:43 AM

Oct 2012
Actually I like this show the way it is
With Kou it's good as a balance
If MCs are female then Kou's counterpart is a male
A boy's looking at girl's body (not muscles).. Pretty common.. right?

But I don't mind if there's one in the future
And both will popular for different gender
"Signature removed"
Nov 19, 2013 10:58 AM

Jun 2009
No.
just finished this anime. and I think the selling point of this anime just fanservices and yaoi bait.
the story only funny and interesting in the beginning part.
i'm pretty sure if this show using all female casts, all this anime get is only bashing about useless fanservice and wasted of money like what happened to Tamako Market
Dec 22, 2013 4:40 AM
Apr 2012
I think the "controversy" with this show is mainly because of the show perceived category. There are other shows catering to fujioshis more visibly and with more content, yet ends up with far less exposure.

Part of the show popularity is the shounen sports image the show broadcast from distance, think Kuroko no Basket.

To answer: no. And if this show had shounen ai label or something similar it would not have been as popular.
Jan 8, 2014 1:29 PM

Sep 2010
No it wouldn't Free! would have failed just like Kyoukai no Kanata where the characters nor plot are not all that entertaining.

Also the only time I watch sports is if it has an interesting plot and for the bromance. I would ignore series if there was sports with all girls unless its figure skating like Ginban Kaleidoscope.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 8, 2014 1:32 PM

Feb 2010
I liked Free because it wasn't like that, though I would have probably loved to see Yui & co joining a swimming club.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 15, 2014 5:55 AM
Aug 2013
no,definitely not.
If free was an anime with girls,it wouldnt be any difference to other animes. I mean today almost every anime has fanservice for men :/
Feb 16, 2014 10:33 AM

Jul 2013
Well, just look at high school of the dead.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2014 8:01 PM

May 2013
_ultima_ said:
Well, just look at high school of the dead.

Are you trying to say it will be popular or what?
Cause HOTD's average was like 5k while Free!'s average is 28k, so if you're trying to say it is as popular that just isn't really the case.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Feb 19, 2014 8:04 PM

Jul 2012
I wouldn't have watched it either way.
Feb 21, 2014 8:35 AM
Mar 2010
Kawos said:

Are you trying to say it will be popular or what?
Cause HOTD's average was like 5k while Free!'s average is 28k, so if you're trying to say it is as popular that just isn't really the case.

This. I think that person is talking about HoTD's popularity in the west.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Mar 30, 2014 7:38 PM
Dec 2013
Most popular show ever? No, but it would be popular.
Apr 8, 2014 3:16 AM

Apr 2009
Yes it will. Every one will think of this show as an ecchi at first glance.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2014 3:53 PM
Mar 2014
I don't doubt it would do just as well if not slightly better than Free!, but the thing about K-On was that it wasn't just enjoyed by men, it was also greatly enjoyed by women. The same can't exactly be said for Free!. Now I'm not discrediting the male Free! fans but I'm sure their numbers are not in the same scale as the female KOn fans were.
Apr 23, 2014 7:29 PM

May 2013
I didn't like this show because of my sexism. I am ashamed.
Apr 25, 2014 3:53 AM

Oct 2009
I guess it would be popular? Since it's KyoAni and a lot of male otakus would love it. But I'm glad it didn't end up being an all-female cast. Even though I'm pretty disappointed with Free! in terms of plot development and character-wise, I'm glad there's an anime that caters to girls and I hope there'd be more anime like this(from other animation studios)in the future since Free! turned out to be a huge commercial success.
Apr 25, 2014 3:56 AM
Mar 2014
It's called synchronized swimming and you can watch it on tha tele.
Apr 30, 2014 1:19 AM
Apr 2012
I just realised something amusing - had Free! been yet another "cute girls doing cute things" anime, the dudebros giving it low scores would instead be giving it 9s and 10s and calling it the greatest anime.

camilleanime said:
It's called synchronized swimming and you can watch it on tha tele.

...Except the Free! boys aren't doing synchronized swimming.
Apr 30, 2014 1:23 AM

Feb 2014
It wouldn't have even been the most popular KyoAni anime let alone the most popular anime period
May 12, 2014 11:19 PM

May 2013
ReiujiUtsuho said:
- had Free! been yet another "cute girls doing cute things" anime, the dudebros giving it low scores would instead be giving it 9s and 10s and calling it the greatest anime.

Well that and it wasn't really all that good. I personally didn't especially like this show but have enjoyed all-male cast SoL anime before.
May 19, 2014 10:09 AM

May 2012
Free would have been way better if it has female characters.
May 21, 2014 3:21 PM

Apr 2014
I absolutely love it the way it is, and I honestly don't think the show would be as entertaining/interesting if it were with a female cast.

Like, with Gou and how she is all ~oh my gosh~ about the guys and their bodies, having a guy do it to the girls wouldn't be as funny. You don't ever see girls acting like her.
Jan 12, 2015 3:20 PM
Dec 2014
reflexology said:
No.

Agreed. That's implying everyone like the same thing.
One does not simply watch anime.
Jan 24, 2015 1:40 PM
Jan 2015
blue001 said:
I feel like it could've easily been another k-on topping all the sales charts. Now we can see why gender is important in anime and why all the recent anime have all-female casts, I think it has something to do with the audience.

It wouldn't have been this popular BECAUSE there are so many all-female casts anime. There is too much competition.

Free! is the first show of its kind (sports anime with guys that is almost exclusively aimed at a female audience) and that's what helped it make so extremely popular.
Mar 19, 2015 6:26 PM

Oct 2011
Guys would definitely bitch about it less, thats for sure. And I definitely wouldn't have watched it.
Jul 15, 2015 10:10 PM
May 2015
blue001 said:
I feel like it could've easily been another k-on topping all the sales charts. Now we can see why gender is important in anime and why all the recent anime have all-female casts, I think it has something to do with the audience.
if they were hot busty women then yes
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.