Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 22, 2011 3:35 AM

Feb 2010
Millennium Actress was more of an animator's playground than anything else, and even then failed to impress. The story lacked direction and winded in a sappy mess. The Japanese love to drive their characters to madness via brief childhood love, and this film is no exception.

Forrest Gump does this concept right. And it's actually funny.
May 13, 2011 4:47 PM

Oct 2010
Well... If I would write a review of this movie I would write one sentence and it would be:

It was so amazing it broke my heart.

And one sentence can't be a review. I loved the story because this kind of love is difficult to accept. You would be called stupid and a madman if you loved in that kind of way. But I think it is noble to love so free and fully. Even if it's an illusion.

I loved the storyline. The mix of scenes like they were from here movie scenes. You could interpret it like her reincarnation over and over again, born again and loving him again, never catching him. You can interpret everything just by pure coincidents. The main thing that is amazing is that the jumps in betwen the sceenes doesn't hurt the main thread.

I cried when the director told that the man died ages ago and she was chasing and illusion. But that is the real life and human brains which creates an image only able to be seen to one and only person.

No matter what. This movie is amazing and I am chasing something similar to it everytime I am loged up here. :D I am happy I stumbled over this, it cleansed me. :)
May 17, 2011 12:29 PM
Jan 2010
Young chiyo was so cute I died
Jun 3, 2011 12:35 AM

Mar 2009
It was alright at first but I started losing interest as it went on.

I liked the line she said at the end though, about loving the chase.
Jun 20, 2011 4:21 AM

Jan 2011
I wasn't paying much attention to it XD so I was inevitably wtf'ed
near the end it got a bit clearer and the ending was quite sad
animation was okay nothing special and the sound was good
overall 7/10
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Sep 26, 2011 11:54 PM
Aug 2011
This movie... definitely one of the best ever. The ending is sad, yes, but also very optimistic and beautiful. Even though Chiyoko essentially ended up having chased a fantasy, she contributed so much... It's a testament to love and life done better than any other film.
Sep 29, 2011 1:56 PM

Jun 2009
Maybe I'm overreacting.

The first time I saw this movie was two years ago, and up until now I still think it's the best movie I've ever seen.

No, not just as an anime movie.
Nov 12, 2011 7:30 PM
Aug 2011
Iliya said:
Maybe I'm overreacting.

The first time I saw this movie was two years ago, and up until now I still think it's the best movie I've ever seen.

No, not just as an anime movie.

Not an overreaction. It is freaking fantastic.
Dec 15, 2011 3:46 AM

Dec 2009
I love this movie. Such great story telling and a heart warming plot.
Forgive me for sounding poetic but a woman's love knows no bounds.
Jan 15, 2012 10:16 AM

Nov 2011
I enjoyed it a hole lot maybe one of his best.
Great move 9/10
Mar 11, 2012 12:12 PM

May 2009
That was a great movie! I watched Paprika first and the style is great, Most of the movie I couldn't tell if some of the parts were from reality or from the movies. One of the best movies i've seen.
Apr 16, 2012 10:28 PM

May 2010
hellogoodbye said:
Millennium Actress was more of an animator's playground than anything else, and even then failed to impress. The story lacked direction and winded in a sappy mess. The Japanese love to drive their characters to madness via brief childhood love, and this film is no exception.

Forrest Gump does this concept right. And it's actually funny.

Come off it; the story totally had direction.

And fuck your complaints, the animation was glorious
Apr 27, 2012 8:17 PM

Aug 2008
Slurpentine said:

Come off it; the story totally had direction.

And fuck your complaints, the animation was glorious

Totally Agree

The film was completely linear. I didn't lose pace but found myself understanding more about it.

I loved how the prologue ran into the whole story telling aspect. You saw her life in 3 minutes, then again explained in detail.

My only real quip was that they didn't bring the earthquake motif full circle, or tie it to a certain story element. It felt like it was just thrown in for dramatic effect.

9/10 for the moment, I may knock it down to 8/10: The method used to tell the story was awesome, the animation style is my favorite (similar to Jin-roh circa 2000), music was noticeable and proper, but the story wasn't very long as it took a great amount of effort to cover a short period of time. It tugged at my emotions but I never really felt connected to the characters, I had a sense of watching a movie.
May 21, 2012 10:47 AM

Aug 2010
Superb story telling. Really enjoyed this movie, even with its flaws. It gets a solid 8/10 from me.

Going to download the OST right this instant. Loved the music.
May 25, 2012 10:59 AM

Jan 2009
There are almost no downsides that you can easily point out about this 'work of art'. The only thing i noticed (or didn't), was the soundtrack. I'm not sure if i played too much attention to the plot and everything that was happening so fast, and probably missed the OST. 9.8/10 (because of the OST, that wasn't quite outstanding, maybe that was the goal, Satoshi Kon probably wanted to keep us focused on the story rather than the sound). I admit it, i shed few tears at the ends :S
May 30, 2012 2:46 PM
Feb 2010
SN00KY said:
(because of the OST, that wasn't quite outstanding, maybe that was the goal, Satoshi Kon probably wanted to keep us focused on the story rather than the sound).

What? The music gave me goosebumps.....That never happens when I hear something for the first time...
Out of all Satoshi's works this one's OST contributed to the feeling the best.
Jun 21, 2012 2:19 PM

Mar 2012
Its a masterpiece... im going to hunt all his works... dammm he was so **ng good. Everything is perfect, nothing was there for no reason, everything was connected, well paced, and necessary to describe all about her life. And there's some comedy in a movie like this? god... this is wonderful.
Jul 14, 2012 12:52 AM

Sep 2008
Holy crap this movie was amazing. I'd expect no less from a Satoshi Kon film. At first I was wondering why this movie wasn't tripping out...but then it did, and I loved it.
Sep 18, 2012 2:47 PM

Mar 2009
a masterpiece, truly a masterpiece... love it from beginning till the end~
Sep 22, 2012 1:45 PM

Jul 2012
G-R-E-A-T M-O-V-I-E
I loved it!! It was great, with action, laughs and drama. FABULOUS FILM, I LOVE ;3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2013 12:10 AM

Aug 2011
RIP Satoshi Kon. Very unique, enjoyable, and unforgettable movie.
Feb 21, 2013 1:22 AM

Jul 2012
''After all, its the chasing after him that I really love.'' Wow. I Loved how they ended the anime with this line. Apart from the plot being a bit boring at times, It was truly an astonishing anime with a unique way of storytelling. I think we all can relate to Chiyoko to a certain extent about that it's the chasing after something that matters, i'ts not always about getting there. And that definitely doesn't have to be about a person you love, it could be applied to a dream or a passion anything..
9/10
Feb 21, 2013 1:29 AM

Sep 2012
K0S-M0S said:
It was the chase she loved.

WIN
EPIC WIN,Best movie by satoshi kon for me.Ending made it worth for me.
Feb 27, 2013 12:37 PM
Jan 2013
Fantastic movie. The OST was especially great
Feb 28, 2013 2:25 AM

Oct 2010
This was such a good movie. I went into it expecting the typical high quality of a Satoshi Kon film, but this might be his best piece. It's a real shame that such a masterful creator is no longer with us.
Mar 12, 2013 2:16 PM

Mar 2009
This is an incredible movie and I'm glad to be surprised once again by this anime world.
Mar 17, 2013 5:47 AM

Feb 2010
I like movies about.. movies. And Satoshi Kon is good for that. But it's more, of course. The whole is more bitter than sweet for me, since I don't like the chase...
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
May 5, 2013 9:54 PM

Jun 2011
I never thought I'd ever rate anything a 10 ever again... But wow, I really have to now. It's no exaggeration when I say that was the best movie I've ever seen.
Jun 22, 2013 5:23 PM

Oct 2010
Other than Perfect Blue, this is the only other Satoshi Kon work I've seen. The story was presented well and the cinematography was fantastic. A work of art with a strong underlying message. My favourite anime movie along with Princess Mononoke.

9/10
Jun 30, 2013 2:52 PM

Dec 2011
Finally got around to seeing this. Loved it! Really unique storytelling and a touching conclusion. Aside from that though I'd just like to comment how I think this is one of the best combinations of music, animation and art I've ever seen. In particular there is something I find very beautiful and even soothing about the color palette of this film. It can be compared to Ghibli films in the quality of these 3 elements however Millennium Actress's art and color palette has never been replicated by anything else I've ever seen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2013 6:08 AM
Jul 2018

Unique storytelling. Satoshi Kon is a genius.

Indeed. It was the chase she loved.
Aug 22, 2013 11:01 AM

Nov 2010
It's hard to tell what kind of movie it'll be just by looking at it's title "Millennium Actress"

Having seen Tokyo Godfather & Paprika before I recognized the style right away and the story telling kept intriguing me
It was both about chasing/finding a cause

I wish this kind of animation style would be around and brushed up a little
It still looks good despite being over 12 years old

itsvero said:
RIP Satoshi Kon. Very unique, enjoyable, and unforgettable movie.

Seen a few more quotes about him here and I didn't knew it, RIP Satoshi Kon.

That's so sad, I hope some of his apprentices could do produce something a like

Time to check out "Perfect Blue" sometime

Offtopic: The key is interesting, now Attack of Titans is airing with the same item
The Author must have seen this movie before
Dec 26, 2013 3:58 AM

Mar 2013
10/10
[25/04/14 4:04:39 PM] Skitzo: doujins have deep psychological undertones about the sexual intrigue of human behavior
Jan 11, 2014 7:16 AM

Aug 2012
The earthquakes did have a point, she was born in one, and she died in one. That's why she thought she was in the spaceship when she was dying.
Feb 24, 2014 2:34 PM

Mar 2012
Does anyone know if any sub groups are currently working on the BD release?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 5, 2014 8:36 AM

Jul 2012
Whoa okay. What an ending... Loving all of Satoshi Kon's works so far. Next up will be Paprika (I've seen this and Perf Blue)

Man...That was sad. And kind of mindfcking LOL So many "era jumps" in this movie. xD It was fun though. Definitely goes into my list of favourite anime movies.

Gonna say a 9/10
Mar 23, 2014 11:53 PM

Apr 2012
holy shit 10/10 absolutely brilliant

creative, mindfuck storytelling
Didn't mind the sad/bittersweet ending at all.
So the old witch/hag was actually a projection of herself......
The hag says she loves her and hates her more than she can bear. It all makes sense in the end. Her love is for her youth that she clings on to by chasing the man she once met, but her hate is the reality of her aging and inability to let go of the shadow of a memory.
zzzeallyMar 24, 2014 12:02 AM

Apr 26, 2014 7:04 PM

Dec 2013
This film was SO moving. It left me without words.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jun 15, 2014 6:40 PM

Sep 2012
This is my third Kon film and definitely my least favorite so far. To me it seemed nothing more than a plotless romp with your typical childhood promise love story behind it that only tried to be different through the direction. I don't see what everyone says is so good about it.
Another page to the history of the Fujaku.
Jul 26, 2014 8:53 AM
Oct 2007
Fujaku said:
This is my third Kon film and definitely my least favorite so far. To me it seemed nothing more than a plotless romp with your typical childhood promise love story behind it that only tried to be different through the direction. I don't see what everyone says is so good about it.

It's about how it's told.

All the story really is, is a documentary director-cum-fan being captive audience to his idol's life story in that one afternoon.
It's how Satoshi Kon brings that afternoon to life in this movie, through her career's films, which subtly imply that she became such a legendary actress in all the movies she acted in, she brought her considerable passion in her chase for that elusive painter onto the silver screen. All of her acting in the movie scenes she made alive was the real her.

But of course, if you aren't capable of admiring anything else in a movie than "the story", or recognising any plot that isn't spelled out to you by the characters, Isuggest you skip such mundane typical stuff and go watch something unique like, say, Twilight.
Normal well-adjusted human being
Aug 28, 2014 1:27 PM
Sep 2009
One of the best movies ever made, animated or otherwise.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Sep 20, 2014 9:11 AM
Jun 2013
Holy shit what a drag.

4/10
Oct 24, 2014 6:53 AM

Mar 2013
when i first watched it a few years ago i found this movie to be great and i liked the lovestory, but after rewatching it i think this movie has a very wrong moral message. This movie could have been very great if she said something at the end like :" all my life i have waited for this one man and focused so hard that everyone realy caring for me became unnoticed. I lived a very sad life and never expirienced love......"

But no what we got here is old woman who couldnt face reality and remaind in her little girl fantasies. it kinda resembles the wishfullfilling idea, shown in many anime that the woman will wait for you as long as it takes, just because you are so special. Its bullshit and only for people who doesnt know how humans are.

Besides that is the lovestory very Very retarded. I mean: what does she know about this one guy: he ran into her, said he is making pictures (which she never have seen) and talked about some snowy country where he wanted to go, despite the fact being chased by the police and used HER place as a shelter. After that he is never shown to give a shit about her. The painting on the wall is probably not even from him. I mean yeah, as a young girl she can fall in love with him because he looks cool or some shit like that. She is in puberty, so... but when she grows up she should become an adult.. i mean thats reality.

And the idea that the policemen comes after the war to apologize is retarded as well. What did he do wrong? He imprisond some criminals and tortured them when they didnt want to talk. That were probably normal methodes back then. After all they were CRIMINALS.

So overall it was a nice movie, nice artstyle and soundtrack, nice execution and quite interesting story, but the moral of the story was so freaking wrong and the love-subplot was utterly retarded
Nov 8, 2014 2:51 AM

Mar 2010
Loved the style and surrealism. Definitely my favourite Satokon film.
Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon!
Feb 23, 2015 1:34 PM

Dec 2013
Boring, elitist crap. The 'plot twist' at the end was just plain stupid. The art was so poor even for 2001, wtf Madhouse. The way of storytelling didn't appeal me completely. 1/10
Apr 16, 2015 5:33 AM

Apr 2013
8/10 This was very enjoyable story telling
Apr 27, 2015 5:19 PM

May 2010
Good movie! Very much a Satoshi Kon kinda movie. Unique way of telling the story.. I loved seeing all the different time periods shown
Jun 19, 2015 4:49 PM

May 2012
very unique method of story telling, i like how she acted through a "millennium" through her films. Satoshi Kon is a brilliant man
Jul 14, 2015 12:35 PM

Jan 2014
Beautiful for the eye, beautiful for the ear, beautiful for the heart.

Who's to judge what the shape of real love is?
She may have never felt love for that mysterious person directly.
Maybe it was just her love for life. Her inspiration. Her shadow.

And yes, the storytelling was very effective.
Jul 22, 2015 7:13 PM

Oct 2014
It was really boring 5/10
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Correlation with "Magnetic rose"

ManuelK06 - Oct 29, 2018

1 by troilus_05s »»
Oct 14, 2022 1:27 PM

» Original Dub is Better than 2019 Dub

Brittaman12 - Jun 4, 2022

2 by Brittaman12 »»
Jun 5, 2022 8:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.