Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this series?
Feb 7, 2009 12:36 AM

Sep 2007
Spotlight Manga: Eden - It's an Endless World!

MAL Series Information Page: Eden: It's an Endless World

MAL Score - 8.45 (by 509 users)
Ranked - #73
Popularity #289

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

RESULTS OF THE RESURRECTION YOU DECIDE POLL (05/09/2015)

Eden: It's An Endless World! was inducted into the club Manga list: 94%
- Yes: 16
- No: 1
- I haven't read this manga: 33:
~ Abstained: 3

Challenge You Decide:

Eden - It's an Endless World! (Manga) (11/10/20)
- Yes: 8
- No: 2
- Haven't Read: 25
~ Abstained: 1

- 80.00%
HiroM_Oct 14, 2020 5:13 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 7, 2009 10:08 PM
Nov 2007
Art:10 I would give this a top rate as it is so rich and real. It has a very nice feel during action phase and has a depth for the story as a whole. Characters:9 They have a real touch for being very human. They have good and great moments as well as fall in to the Abyss of sin and evil for so. Story:9 or better. This series start's out a little confusing, but roars to a full world full of good, bad and ugly people who are just trying to survive this horror filled new world. Enjoyment: 10 This is one I will be sorry to see end. I would add Yes for this title. Yes.
CMB17Apr 5, 2013 9:59 AM
Mar 18, 2012 7:51 PM

May 2011
YES YES YES
Please just read this if you haven't. Eden balances visceral seinen violence with a mature, thought-provoking storyline, without alienating fans of either. Its superb characters remain believable even in a "soft" sci-fi world.
Mar 18, 2012 8:44 PM

Feb 2010
About a year ago when we still have our old rules, I remember Eden being nominated again and again so I picked it up in anticipation of futures spotlight. I can't remember much except I adore the presentation of the art and themes ( especially drugs related ones ) in this manga. What's frustrating was the drastic change of atmosphere and traits of the characters found mid-way in the story. I find these changes, or rather comical relief, much more appropriate in Hiroki Endo's Tanpenshu who dealt chiefly with life's issues and uncertainty. Sadly that manga didn't made the cut.

Nonetheless, there's enough qualities to warrant a yes from me.
Mar 19, 2012 4:11 AM

Nov 2007
Rosa_FOEtidaMar 27, 2012 8:14 AM
Mar 27, 2012 2:59 AM

Apr 2008
Comic relief is really awkward in some parts (it's like the author realized how dark the manga was, and decided to tone it down a notch). Still, amazing quality art, great story, and great characters overall. I still gave it a 10.
Mar 27, 2012 3:21 AM

Oct 2008
Doh! Tenchio! LoL Ya that time skip does have me confused right now, but the manga itself so far is great. I might still vote yes if I can get through the rest. The beginning started off so strong. I like end of the world scenarios, (any wonder I like animanga?) and this one seems very interesting thus far. The political aspects of the world going to hell due to a virus really are fascinating me. Not sure exactly how drug cartels are supposed to fit into this story. I wasn't expecting the world to survive from the beginning. Tenchio your comments almost make me want to stop reading.
Mar 27, 2012 7:52 AM

Jan 2009
Rosa_FOEtidaMar 27, 2012 8:15 AM
Mar 27, 2012 8:20 AM

Nov 2008
Mind the spoilers, guys.

The purpose of the spotlight threads is not only to encourage people who have read the manga to vote the same way as you, but also to encourage people who haven't read the manga (like me) to give it a go, and people aren't going to go to the spotlights if there are unmarked spoilers. There may also be people who have read some of the manga and want to make a post on it, but haven't reached as far as the spoiler yet. Please bear this in mind when making your posts.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Mar 30, 2012 9:36 AM
Apr 2009
Tenchio said:

You wrapped up my thoughts of the series perfectly. It has good art, and at first look the story seems good. However the transitions are poorly done; the author tries to make complex characters which on occasion feel like they fall flat on their face. The story itself tries to shove too many themes together with the authors relatively immature perspective on life. In the end, I felt the author had no idea where he wanted to go with the series; and it ultimately becomes an incoherent mess of poorly executed ideas.

To be blunt; it gives me the impression that the author is on weed. He feels like his ideas are incredibly deep, yet in the end they are illogical at best. :P

Oh, and as you said; the humor sucked... :| If you want to stick humor into a series you are trying to make deep; it has to be "irony" based IMO. In the end, the manga-ka tries to integrate too much for him to handle, and tries to please too many audiences.
Oct 5, 2012 1:55 PM

Sep 2009
For all the mistakes of volume 9 and the unfunny comedy scattered around the few subsequent volumes, the first 8 volumes are still my absolute gold standard for manga, and if the entire series was as good it'd easily be the best manga I'd ever read.

Also, calling Eden unfocused is missing the entire point. It's the sprawling, ever-changing plot of tremendous scope that makes Eden work so well in the first place.
Dec 16, 2012 2:29 PM

Jan 2012
Eden probably offers one of the most expansive worlds I've seen in any anime or manga, with a really well-fleshed out cast of characters to support it. It has a bit of a schizophrenic plot (which isn't helped by a really, really poorly down timeskip... Talk about "dropping a bridge". Can anyone explain why the author chose to do that?), but it's been one of those manga worth pulling all-nighters to marathon through.
"Hello, Mr. Wind up Bird."
Mar 29, 2013 6:16 PM

Sep 2009
So I recently posted a quick writeup on this elsewhere, it's nothing amazing but I figure I may as well throw it into the pot.

Eden is a very aptly-named manga. It's aptly named in that it's definitive feature is how utterly, endlessly sprawling it is. Eden covers several decades (to the degree that it begins a long time before the protagonist was even born), numerous locales, and more characters and plot points than you can possibly hope to keep track of all of.

To call Eden "ambitious" would be an understatement - think of any major, lofty theme found in fiction and Eden probably has it. This can be something of a double-edged sword; some people complain about Eden being "unfocused". This is understandable, as Eden is so utterly dense with plot threads and characters that it sometimes collapses under its own weight. However, it's a necessary evil - if it restrained itself even a little Eden would most likely lack the sheer scale it has.

This definitely isn't a manga for the faint of heart - it's incredibly explicit, in terms of both sex and violence. It's unflinchingly brutal, and absolutely no character has plot immunity; anyone can die at almost any time. Similarly, it has no reservations when it comes to sex - as the post-apocalyptic society has caused sexual trafficking and prostitution to become all the more common, it's only logical. Hell, a reasonable chunk of the story is set in a brothel and revolves around prostitutes, amongst whom one of the best characters in the whole series can count herself. Unsurprisingly for something as thematically heavy as Eden, "good" and "bad" are near-meaningless. Don't expect morality to play any big part in it.

Unfortunately, around the halfway mark, Eden dilutes itself with comedic elements that are uncharacteristic of it (and also aren't very funny). This also happens around the same time as a rather ill-advised timeskip that happened to ruin a great character who was soon after killed off unceremoniously. There is a stretch of a couple volumes that were littered with mistakes that unfortunately drags it down - which is a shame, because outside of that Eden is my absolute gold standard for manga.

Of course, there's only so much damage that can do to something otherwise so very strong. Eden definitely sits among the best manga I've read.
Apr 2, 2013 3:20 AM

Jun 2011
I guess I'm one of the few guys who didn't give much thought about Helena, that's how Endo works anyway.

Also, I don't have really much else to add to the spotlight, everyone else already made good points, so I'll just praise a little the ability of the author to create, narrate and make so credible a post-apocalyptic world with no morals, no hopes and no sweetened contents at all.
Dialogues and events, as well as human reactions, are so realistic that make you wonder if all of that is just fiction or it actually really happened (putting comedy aside, even though I found most of it funny). And, as a matter of fact, it probably did really happen, considering how the whole concept resembles many times war movies or currently news events; Endo just took the real world and gave it a more linear flow with some recurring characters and clear focuses.

I shouldn't do comparisons, but to help people who didn't read this already let's just say that I personally find Eden to be probably the most mature manga out there, or at least among those I read, just slightly above, Berserk, Vinland Saga and Bokurano.
Sep 1, 2020 1:46 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This is such a great manga. I really hope it gets more appreciation as time goes bye.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.