Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 23, 2014 8:23 PM

Jan 2010
A bit slow and tame but I enjoyed it. Aina and Shiro we really sweet together.
Aug 14, 2014 7:32 PM

Apr 2013
Not bad for a first episode. The Shiro guy has some good skills.
Sep 21, 2014 7:41 AM

Apr 2014
cupc said:
That was one of the strongest first episodes in any anime I've seen.This is shaping up to be the exact kind of story I was hoping it to be.Also, the openings and endings are AMAZING.
I think there will be a lot more between the two MC from different sides, She's coming back for that watch:o
---------My Profile------------
Apr 16, 2015 6:24 PM
May 2013
I really loved the first episode. It was very fun to watch shiro begin his era😄
May 27, 2015 6:19 PM

Jul 2009
After finishing Stardust Memory a few hours ago, i started MS 08th in preparation for Unicorn for next week :)

First off, I'm watching the BD's and wow so gorgeous!!!! OP is nice as well!!!

Animation is amazing as well!! I notice it really looks like Cowboy Bebop which i'm not surprised since Hajime Yatete is working on it as well.

I knew Aina was a popular Seiyuu!! She's voiced by Kikuko Inoue :)

Same with Siro(Hiyama, Nobuyuki) though i know him more as Li Koyuu from Saiunkoku Monogatari ^^

Not that much happened other than a female Zaku pilot who seems to be important.

Can't wait to finish the series this week. Can't wait for the next episode!!
Jun 4, 2015 2:46 PM

Feb 2015
Good first episode but I think the MC should look older.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 22, 2016 3:48 AM

Dec 2015
Looks interesting. We start with a trained soldier, crazy enough to be highly rewarded, who wants to crush Zeon (contrast with Amuro but I'm not very fond of this type of character who rushes). At least, his behavior when "trapped" with the ennemy shows he might be less one-sided than it first appeared (if not, he will soon become annoying). Also interested by the addition of a love story beginning with the Gundam anime instead of being dropped in the middle.

The anime was pretty, despite the anime hairstyle of the hero, too odd for a "classic" Gundam in my opinion. The girl, Aina, seems a bit 80s for an anime released in 1996 but why not. I was also a lot more receptive to the music (op/ed and background) than in 0079, but simply because it is "my period".

@St0rmblade A funny thing is that this is a very common thing to see in war fictions (or even non-war), it has been used as setup more than once in Hollywood. A famous (or infamous since it has been degraded to a "bad movie") example of that is Wolfgang Petersen's "Enemy Mine".
It took me to "meet" internet anime consumers to find peoples trying to argue against this idea. (why not argue against 0079 showing "simple" ennemy soldiers as peoples or naming them too)
Rei_IIIApr 11, 2020 9:13 AM
Apr 5, 2016 9:36 PM

Jun 2013
Enjoyed this more than I thought I would :)
Jun 4, 2016 1:36 AM
Sep 2014
Should I be expecting anything realistic from this?

Just a few thoughts;
- Aina's experimental Zaku lost to a mining/scavenger bot or something standard main battle suit. I guess it’s going to stay experimental for quite some time.
- "I will not be a prisoner. Shoot me now."; He dosnt, and tries to seduce her instead. Surprisingly this turns out alright since she never actually fights back (remember her 'wound' was just a scratch, nothing debilitating). She must not really care for her cause/side since she just goes along with everything. She had plenty of opportunities to steal his gun from behind and end things. She got stockholm syndrome really fast.
- So they split up trying to find radios and Shiro gets Aina's heirloom watch. As they’re being rescued, Shiro shouts after Aina because he still has her watch. This must just be something to settle his conscience, to convince himself to keep the neat watch, as after all, his spacesuit has no radio...
- And of course, Shiro is a commander...

EDIT: chatting to a friend who corrected some of my thoughts.
HelelixJun 4, 2016 2:35 AM
Jun 24, 2016 2:34 AM

Oct 2014
I see why people are a lil annoyed with the main character to start with but overall I thought this was a good beginning
noGiAnimeJun 24, 2016 6:01 PM
Jul 25, 2016 5:36 AM

May 2012
Quite a start I must say! Watching Mobile Suit Gundam in a chronological order by year sure makes the art difference big just coming from the original series, but I sure don't mind it, this kind of art style fits it a lot better!

With that said, let's find out what this series will have to offer for a story!
Sep 17, 2016 11:24 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Interesting first episode, where we can watch a fragment of the war between the earth and Zeon, but through a young subaltern who falls in love his rival.... 7/10.
Oct 21, 2016 11:13 AM

Feb 2009
I smell... Romeo and Juliet in space! Let's see if this OVA can takeover 0080 War in the Pocked as my favorite Gundam thing ;)
Jun 8, 2017 1:16 AM

Jul 2008
About time I revisited this, man Shiro was innocent at the start of this.
Oct 12, 2017 12:25 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
For being known as the most realistic Gundam, this first episode wasn't the case. I find it so fake how you can go from neck to neck to buddy buddy just cause she's a woman, it is war you are enemies, trying to make it out alive together? then don't kill each other in the first place, it makes no sense. And would you look at Amada's double standard here? He'd force the woman prisoner when she don't want it, but himself refuses to be prisoner when the woman asks him to come with her when there's clear help. So ok... he'll rather float and wait knowing his side's help will surely arrive when that's clearly unknown, look at that next second his help arrives. well I want a version where his side never finds him.....Hope this bland setup is of the past and moving forward everything moves realistically. 2/5 for episode
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 14, 2017 4:43 PM
Jul 2017
Veethorn said:
I smell... Romeo and Juliet in space! Let's see if this OVA can takeover 0080 War in the Pocked as my favorite Gundam thing ;)

I'm not sure how it will further progress, but agreed. The Romeo and Juliet comparison is a good one.

Overall, I'm glad to see some further detail into battles outside of the main story line.
Feb 17, 2018 10:48 PM

Aug 2015
Karen's guns...are quite nice.
Sep 24, 2019 11:13 PM

Jun 2014
I quite like the mc. He is different from another gundam MCs like we used to. (Whiny, teenage angst, stoic)
Mar 26, 2020 6:09 AM

Jun 2017
It probably won't be as great as War in the Pocket, but this episode has grabbed me more than any of Stardust Memories, so hopefully it'll be a return to form for Gundam OVAs.
Apr 7, 2020 2:37 PM

Aug 2017
That was alright. Pretty animation and detail in the whole setting, although I'm not a big fan of Shiro's character design (same for that orange-haired guy), he's just too generic for a main character. Supposedly supporting characters "on the ground" at the beginning of the episode looked more distinctive and appealing from the design point of view. Though Aina looks like a character belonging to the Cowboy Bebop universe (unsurprising, given who the character designer was), and likeable.

However I don't get why some people are complaining about Shiro and Aina cooperating. Like, it's not uncommon in the first place (remember that Christmas during WWI), and even more obvious given the exact situation. Aina had no reason to kill Shiro whatsoever, like really, what was she supposed to do next? Die alone in space? They clearly needed to cooperate, and it's a lot easier to sympathize with your "enemy" face-to-face rather then in huge mechas, because you see a *personality* in front of you, not some abstract enemy belonging to the mob. Abstracting away from direct violence by using mechas and so on plays into dehumanizing opponents, meeting in person has an opposite effect. I think it was a good choice to make Aina and Shiro meet like that. My main complaint is about the designs.

@ReiIII

I'm puzzled, because I don't get how characters are supposed to meet in a war setting if not in a crisis situation where cooperation is needed despite the conflict between 2 sides. Pretty much anything else I can imagine is either unrealistic or offers less opportunity to explore the characters (like showing one of them just defecting to another side). There're exceptions of course, in anime too, but complaining about the first option is strange.
St0rmbladeApr 11, 2020 10:20 AM
Jun 29, 2021 12:13 PM

Sep 2014
sunrise animation still looking amazing 30 years later. 90s style is just perfect for sci fi imo.

Amazing first episode imo, could even be used standalone. This is what Gundam is all about
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 15, 2021 8:19 PM

Jun 2014
This looks pretty interesting. Aina is on the opposing side, but Shiro doesn't care.

What will happen when they meet again?

Sep 29, 2021 2:52 PM

Aug 2017
The episode was fine but the obvious romance is kinda weak and rushed. Anyways, nice Gihren's speech from the original Gundam.

Arcanus said:
I have some issues with the characterization of the main character... not only, as Naikou said, he looks like a kid, but also everything he was doing seemed ridiculous, given the situation.

This was definitely not a good first episode but lets give it a few more episodes and see how it goes.

He's only 23. I'm close to that age and I still look like in my late teen years.
NurguburuSep 29, 2021 3:03 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 5, 2022 12:45 PM

Nov 2016
Mami Koyama voicing a hot characters is unusual when you're used to Big Mom.

Love is in the air. There's no air in space? C'mon, you know what I mean.

A relationship with a Zeon pilot could potentially spell trouble for Shiro one way or another. He's not your average Federal soldier, that much was already implied by Aina who was surprised to see him treat her like a comrade in a life-death situation. If he's a commander at such a young age he will have to earn his respect first and an affair won't benefit him in any way lmao. Let's see how it'll play out.

@Rei_III Aina has a lovely retro design

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 22, 2022 12:34 PM

Feb 2012
Currently available legally on GundamInfo

So glad I get to rewatch this remastered, this is one of my first and favourite Gundam series. They thought Shiro's insane for sortieing in a Ball but he stopped a Zaku, even preventing it from using its Heat Hawk. Shiro saw the dead Federation bodies and used that to get Aina out of the "rather die than become prisoner" mindset.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 23, 2022 3:13 AM
May 2022
Man, that was a damn good pilot episode. Maybe even better than Wing's pilot.
Nov 15, 2022 4:42 PM
Sep 2021
The stand out so far (episode 1) is the art. Amateur question, Is it a mix of CG and hand drawn art? I thought the characters could be CG? I guess a ensign and his babe are going to save the galaxy. Least he's not a disgraced ensign and his pre-teen love interest.
Aug 5, 2023 2:55 AM

Jul 2017
I LOVED this first episode, i'm so hyped for the next, and the animation is literally wonderful
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Aug 29, 2023 5:07 AM

Jan 2020
I like this episode because of the way we're introduced to Shiro and his personality.
Oct 23, 2023 12:22 AM
Oct 2023
Would Shiro have saved her if she was a guy? If so, he is a good, if naive person. If not, he is just a horndog and actually somewhat of an asshole in my book. Lets see how hes carachterized further on.

Its interesting and somewhat refreshing to get the perspective of people who actually signed up for the war, coming directly from Gundam 79.

And a little Ghiren cameo, spouting his hypocritical propaganda. Good stuff so far.
Nov 13, 2023 12:25 AM

May 2019
Pretty cool. I like the old 90's art and the characters already seem fleshed out.
Mar 21, 6:16 PM
Nov 2019
I disliked this first episode on quite a few levels. The main protagonist is reckless and impulsive yet garners respect from literally everyone including hostile combatants. The romance is completely contrived and seemingly only exists to reward the protagonists actions and beliefs. The cheesy sound effects/design is distracting but forgivable since it belongs to that era. With that being said the mechs look amazing but I can't get over how the protagonist may as well be the main character in the next installment of Yu-Gi-Oh.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Episode 2 Discussion

Arcanus - Jul 27, 2009

39 by JION43 »»
Mar 29, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Arcanus - Jul 27, 2009

102 by LotteGiants »»
Mar 11, 10:39 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Episode 6 Discussion

Arcanus - Jul 27, 2009

49 by VioletOlya »»
Nov 26, 2023 12:05 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Jul 27, 2009

57 by skatensleep »»
Nov 14, 2023 12:39 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team Episode 10 Discussion

Arcanus - Jul 27, 2009

40 by skatensleep »»
Nov 14, 2023 12:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.