Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2013 1:52 PM

May 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The infamous Oda finally makes an appearance, hopefully he appears again further in the series. A little lackluster but it wasn't a bad side story.
Sep 25, 2013 5:55 AM

Jul 2011
What to say ..... What to say about this side story.
hmmmmmmmmmm It was fine for me , I gave it 6 out of 10
It's good to see Rukawa again after I finished the series.
Nov 28, 2013 3:50 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Did they try to trow the keys in the ocean? lolololool

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jan 16, 2014 7:14 PM

Dec 2012
A decent little side story, it was nice to get more info on Oda and helps put the events in the main series into context. Felt like another fun filled episode, and it's understandable that the game was so condensed since it wasn't the main focus of the movie nor could they fit it with their usual 10+ episodes/game pace. Probably a 6 or 7/10 from me.
Jan 20, 2014 2:20 PM

Sep 2011
Best of the movie was yuko minaguchi as yohko. That voice... <3
Mar 23, 2015 5:03 AM

Mar 2014
I liked how it had that really nice looking movie-level animation... and all of the characters felt good with writing that matched that of the show. However, being only 30 minutes long, while re-telling many of the main plot points of the show to the viewer, and then cutting the basketball game short, it felt like it was missing something, or like part of the script had been chopped off. This made it pretty lackluster, despite it's good parts.

I give it a 5/10.
::End of Transmission::

Dec 15, 2015 6:07 AM

Apr 2009
Eiichiro Oda
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2016 11:11 AM

Jan 2012
man the opening song is still good to hear,nine job teaching them lesson in spirit .

Jul 2, 2017 5:10 PM

Jul 2016
Nice little side story. I'm not sure why we did not find out who won?
Jan 7, 2018 2:11 PM

May 2011
mshea1213 said:
Nice little side story. I'm not sure why we did not find out who won?

It wasn't really important as this was a practice match. The movie itself chose to conclude on an inspirational statement about fighting spirit... The outcome itself had no importance. The match was more like of a reality check that Oda needed, in addition of a good check-up for Shohoku.

What is mostly at the core of the movie is the parallelism of Oda and Sakuragi's state of mind.
The former started Basketball early on in middle school, flaring up with enthusiasm. He enjoyed himself at this time, which made him happy in return. In high school, he gradually lost of sight what made him love the sport in the first place, preoccupied he was by competing against the best regional teams. His deeply rooted denial even led him to smite his girlfriend when confronted to her brutal honesty.

Sakuragi's tangent is all the contrary: a no-good thug during middle school, but upon playing alongside Shohoku he demonstrated that he was just in need of a meaningful activity to channel his high-spirit. His utter lack of in-game sense was counterbalanced by this... Sakuragi wasn't as much concerned about self improvement as focusing on antagonization. This is something evidenced by the quote "My adversary isn't you, it is Basket", that made Oda realize that he had become a goon hiding behind a sportsman persona.

I can get behind the movie's aim, but the catharsis occurred too suddenly, only backed by Sakuragi desperate attempts to get broken loose balls. It lacked pathos. A 45 minutes movie would have been the way to go to stage the gradual shift between public hostility and general reverence.
Jan 8, 2018 9:28 AM

Jul 2016
It wasn't really important as this was a practice match. The movie itself chose to conclude on an inspirational statement about fighting spirit... The outcome itself had no importance. The match was more like of a reality check that Oda needed, in addition of a good check-up for Shohoku.

What is mostly at the core of the movie is the parallelism of Oda and Sakuragi's state of mind.
The former started Basketball early on in middle school, flaring up with enthusiasm. He enjoyed himself at this time, which made him happy in return. In high school, he gradually lost of sight what made him love the sport in the first place, preoccupied he was by competing against the best regional teams. His deeply rooted denial even led him to smite his girlfriend when confronted to her brutal honesty.

Sakuragi's tangent is all the contrary: a no-good thug during middle school, but upon playing alongside Shohoku he demonstrated that he was just in need of a meaningful activity to channel his high-spirit. His utter lack of in-game sense was counterbalanced by this... Sakuragi wasn't as much concerned about self improvement as focusing on antagonization. This is something evidenced by the quote "My adversary isn't you, it is Basket", that made Oda realize that he had become a goon hiding behind a sportsman persona.

I can get behind the movie's aim, but the catharsis occurred too suddenly, only backed by Sakuragi desperate attempts to get broken loose balls. It lacked pathos. A 45 minutes movie would have been the way to go to stage the gradual shift between public hostility and general reverence.
[/quote]

Wow man. Great response from my lackluster post.. been a while since I've seen the film, but you've made me want to check it out again with your insight. Thanks, buddy.
Mar 9, 2019 2:52 PM

Nov 2016
Pretty average tbh, but it was nice to see the characters again.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 4, 2020 1:30 AM

Jul 2009
Never got to review this properly despite watching it 2-3 months ago.

They finally showed the Oda match up. Even though we already know they lost against Kainan in the TV series.

Animation is beautiful as ever! Really wish we have gotten a BD quality the same as this one.

They also changed Youko Shimamura voice (Yuri Shiratori>Minaguchi, Yuko)

She same voice as Momiji from Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive series.

8/10. Animation made it up for it.
Dec 14, 2020 7:45 PM

Jul 2020
30 minutes just seemed impossible for one whole match + dialouge, but it was nice hearing the first OP again
Jan 13, 2023 9:21 PM

Apr 2022
i honestly thought that yohko chick was haruko at first.
i'm watching this after ep 20 and it seemed a bit too similar to the last couple of episodes so i can't give this more than a 7.
the animation was really good tho.
Mar 4, 10:04 AM
Aug 2022
These types of girl are bad for my heart health.
Oda You better take care of her , Hanamichi stayed single cuz of your existence as Hanamichi confessed to yokho San in Junior high & got rejected.

More topics from this board

» Amaanu please add me as friend

waafiii - Jun 4, 2021

2 by suzuyakenn »»
Jul 6, 2021 9:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.