Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2009 12:14 AM

Jan 2009
I know they had to cram many events into this episode, but they shouldn't have skimped on the boss battle like that. It was very anti-climatic and poorly done. That was also a very short break.

I haven't played the game yet, but judging by the op, it seems like Asch might be the final villain?
Blackhawk5017Feb 9, 2009 12:17 AM
Feb 9, 2009 5:58 AM

Feb 2008
I was honestly expecting something really epic during that fight, but I ended up severely disappointed.

Decent episode anyhow. I can't say I didn't enjoy it.
Feb 14, 2009 12:42 PM

Oct 2008
Finally, peace is obtained but something is definitely not right...

Mar 15, 2009 10:19 AM

Dec 2008
the second part was lame
I wondered as everybody was away
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2009 8:05 PM

Mar 2008
I don't really get the story anymore, there's so much happening in every episode that it's just isn't interesting anymore. And the only thing they are doing is traveling to a lot of different places (and there hard to keep apart).

The pace of this episode was also weird because of the short fight (I still haven't seen Luke doing any kind of special attack) and the sudden time-skip.
Jan 18, 2010 9:34 AM

Jun 2008
Miertje86 said:
I don't really get the story anymore, there's so much happening in every episode that it's just isn't interesting anymore. And the only thing they are doing is traveling to a lot of different places (and there hard to keep apart).

The pace of this episode was also weird because of the short fight (I still haven't seen Luke doing any kind of special attack) and the sudden time-skip.

I agree.
For a non-player viewer everything is a mess. I didn't even understood how exactly they got ridden of the miasma. And suddenly everything finished and Luke spend a month home and they start a new adventure. WTF? Seriously, this is messed up. And there are so many strange names and things about this word that it's difficult to get a grasp on everything when there is such a fast pace.
This episode was especially disappointing.
I think they should have tried to put everything until now in 26 episodes instead of showing us this new adventure. Then the pace would have been logical, the time for a well made battle would have been there and they would have been able to show the necessaries scenes to make things logical(like everyone splitting up, the land landing down and Luke going home).
Sep 20, 2010 5:21 PM
Aug 2010
seriously, if you have not played the game, this anime is not for you, end of story. I really liked most of it, beacause I played and Toa is one of my favorite games, but they rushed too much in the anime... this episode was very boring. anyway, I hope they make better at the ending, at least.
Nov 23, 2010 7:18 PM

Apr 2007
That was a terrible battle. And if it truly was the end for Van, then I am very disappointed.
Aug 1, 2011 3:00 PM

Jul 2007
noteDhero said:
I agree, it felt a little awkward getting exposition like that in the middle of an episode.
Eternal_Blaze said:
Things just went way too fast, and the fight with Van was just rushed. I'm seriously disappointed with this episode. It tried to cover a lot of the events in the game, but ended up being rushed and lacking. Like I said from the very beginning, it's impossible to cover the whole story in 26 episodes. I expected some things to be cut out, but did it have to happen in this part?

Plus, the second part of the story starts in this episode too. It would have been better if that happened next episode instead. Still, there's a good amount of the story left, and I know the remaining 8 episodes are definitely not enough.

Btw, I doubt Mushroom Road will be added, but I would like to see that.

I agree with Eternal_blaze on pretty much everything.

It was bad enough they they skipped over the entire two sepiroth tree's in an instance, the locations Meggiora Highlands, and Mt. Zaleho. Even though nothing much happen that was critical to the story besides the fact that they had to get to the passage rings.

The event with the 3rd sephiroth tree was supposed to be very critical and they altered and changed that in so many ways. Originally what i remember, was the 3 god generals were falling down the avalanche. I think i remember that the characters were trying to save them, i believe natalia played a part in this and holding onto them for dear life and it was unknown at that point if they survived or not. In the game you get the impression that there all dead cause they fell down the avalanche, but they altered that moment entirely in the game. When they mentioned that they think that one of the god general is still alive. it was just kind of out of order in my opinion. Because the original event that happen in the game, would give that meaning more substance. This was all last episode, i just thought i would mention it.

In this episode the scene at Keterburg was a extremely important moment in the game and many fans of the game will never forget that part of the story. Its the first time which you can actually use luke to communicate with all of the characters, in separate different scenarios that actually alter the story in some way or another. It kind of shows you what the characters are going through and what there connections are with each other. Obviously the anime only included guys and natalia's scenerio, but i would of loved to see the others.

Also if i remember right luke's speech at the end of the ketersburg scenario was much more captivating. He said something like "this is are final battle. We will stop van's ambition from coming to light and this country will be saved, i will see to it that he will not hurt anyone ever again. Or something like that. I would have to go back to the game to see it. He actually really felt like a leader during this moment. though. I couldn't help my self but grin at the mere sight of how much he has changed up to this point during the game. The fact that they completely dumped that down in the anime, pissed me off. In fact through out the whole anime series, luke's leadership qualities are kind of dumbed down a bit, from what the original games story line had intended for this character. That was what made his character one of my favorites cause watching him change and develop to point at ketersburg when he makes his final statement to save the world. Was pretty awesome and seeing all the reactions to everyone else.

As for the absorption gate scenerio, like i said in my previous post, this WAS one of the largest dungeons in the game up to this point. I am glad they decided to show how the party split up at least, so it kind of shows you how luke finally can get connected to tear again after her being in so much pain. That was a personal and evident part in the game that was important. But i absolutely hated the battle against van. Surely they could of put a little more work into the action scenes since this battle was supposed to be the climatic finale. This was indeed the fake ending that everyone refers to.

If any one didn't catch that part, don't blink lol because its actually a few months later after van fell off the gate. I still think the idea to actually put both vans battle and the next part in the story which comes months later in the same episode was just a bit awkward and very inconsistent. It would of been much better if they started the next episode, with a sub title heading. saying 1 month later or something like that.

I dont know what it is, the story in the anime is just very predictable to me. Even the fake ending was just poorly executed and it was obvious that it wasn't the end and even the fact that "the one who seizes glory, is trying to capture" that just spells "VAN IS STILL ALIVE" They really didn't put much thought in secrecy like the game did. When i was playing the game, i was always shocked to find out what happen. its been so long since ive played it though i can barely remember all the alterations. I might just play it again so i can see how much it really has changed in the anime.
ArtimesGamerAug 1, 2011 3:08 PM

Aug 1, 2011 3:12 PM
Dec 2007
link9us said:

I dont know what it is, the story in the anime is just very predictable to me. Even the fake ending was just poorly executed and it was obvious that it wasn't the end and even the fact that "the one who seizes glory, is trying to capture" that just spells "VAN IS STILL ALIVE" They really didn't put much thought in secrecy like the game did. When i was playing the game, i was always shocked to find out what happen. its been so long since ive played it though i can barely remember all the alterations. I might just play it again so i can see how much it really has changed in the anime.
The game also has the "herp derp Van is alive" line too though. It's actually the stated reason Asch never returned home (the real reason being his hatred of Luke). People can miss that line easier though since it's drowned out by all the events that happen.

Feb 3, 2013 9:56 PM

Nov 2011
Nice, time to journey to Daarth :33
Dec 27, 2014 7:22 PM

May 2014
The one month time skip with no notifications or anything. It's just too quick. It has no effect on the viewer, I didn't feel jacksh*t for anyone... Whyy!! This show had so much potential.!!

SOLID 3/5 what a waste!!
Jan 26, 2016 2:35 AM

Aug 2013
That was.... anti-climatic.
I was really disappointed here.. had a confused expression most of this episode.
Like.. those god generals just died like that ? That aside Van just dumped himself down ?
And the next thing we see Luke lying on the bed and its one month after. There was absolutely no sense of time.
It was like them saying 'wait' there's more behind the scenes and telling us to just neglect this so called final battle lol.
Anyway... seems like the anime adaption focus on the Luke turning kind and the humane side than becoming a true hero and leader.
That was a real roller coaster ride they did there. Kinda feel sad I didn't get to play the game. :b
Mar 26, 2016 4:40 PM

Mar 2015
Van got in touch with his inner Kagato with that organ playing. Cliche, maybe, but don't get me wrong, I like my villains with a bit of class. Would've been better if some good organ music was playing while Luke and Tear were walking towards Van after they got separated.

Shame about the fight, but it was still a good episode.
Apr 30, 2020 6:20 PM
Jul 2018
I am very disappointed at how rushed and forceful this episode was. I knew that it was inevitable that some parts, major or not, would be cut off considering the number of episodes the Anime will run for, but I don't remember Van's boss fight being this anti-climatic or easy to breeze through. Even the time skip was handled poorly. This is just unfortunate.

More topics from this board

» I'm on ep 6, and I REALLY want to drop this now...

Kirukato05 - Jun 19, 2022

7 by Sir-C »»
Feb 26, 9:34 AM

» Differences between the anime and the game?

FactualTakes12 - Apr 18, 2023

3 by FactualTakes12 »»
Apr 21, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Tales of the Abyss Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Nov 16, 2008

78 by AtroceWins »»
Jan 24, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Tales of the Abyss Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Nov 8, 2008

62 by tokidoki921 »»
Sep 28, 2021 12:07 PM

Poll: » Tales of the Abyss Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

direbliss - Apr 8, 2009

104 by AgelessPharaoh »»
Nov 12, 2020 12:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.