Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (52) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 26, 2014 8:42 AM

Jun 2009
beast_regards said:
Back to the topic, it technically shouldn't be a problem that there are some unrealistic points inside the stories as we all have them (including those best of us)...

... but in general we should limit ultimate displays of badassness for our MC to minimum. Or at least be SUBTLE about it (Yuda is far too open about him being strongest man ever alive, given example does exactly the same thing)

yes, i think the same.
Jun 26, 2014 8:43 AM

Dec 2010
Lol. Mdude used to say, you can have up to two moments of ultimate badassery for your MC in your story. xD
Jun 26, 2014 8:48 AM

Jun 2009
of course it depends also on the length of the story :D
Jun 26, 2014 8:49 AM

Dec 2010
@Su Well, you can have moments of minor badassery xD
Jun 26, 2014 8:54 AM

Jul 2013
I agree. Two seems fairly enough since you're supposed to be vastly inferior to MGs and too many just makes a mary sue/gary stu :P
Jun 26, 2014 9:08 AM

Jan 2013
Plus even mdude won 1 to 1 duel and survived a battle in the world where MG are basically like Reavers from Firefly. He still managed to do it in more subtle way and didn't went Gary Stu way straight away, that's the difference.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jun 26, 2014 9:18 AM

Dec 2010
@Beast Mdude said himself that the exact moment you mentioned was his "ultimate baddasary" usage. And I have to say, he really did a good job doing things in a way that didn't make him look OP.
Jun 26, 2014 10:51 AM

Nov 2013
So to sum it up, what is everyone's opinion on THIS particular case since Su was asking what we thought.
Jun 26, 2014 10:55 AM

Dec 2010
Jun 26, 2014 10:55 AM

Jul 2013
I am not against the guy winning, but there is no way it'd be that easy. If he is going to win against a werewolf it has to take a considerable toll on him, imo.

@Kami
Thumb down allegedly meant "spare him" in the ancient Roman empire, I trust you know this?
Jun 26, 2014 10:57 AM

Jun 2009
chimechu said:
I am not against the guy winning, but there is no way it'd be that easy. If he is going to win against a werewolf it has to take a considerable toll on him, imo.

@Kami
Thumb down allegedly meant "spare him" in the ancient Roman empire, I trust you know this?

it generally means, the one "in the pinch" should get executed. spare would be thumb up xD

// as far as i know, and as far as it makes sense to me.
Jun 26, 2014 10:59 AM

Nov 2013
Well I believe Kami just mean thumbs down... not roman gladiator style thumbs down lol
Jun 26, 2014 11:00 AM

Dec 2010
I also think it means die? Wtf?
Jun 26, 2014 11:07 AM

Nov 2013
lol okay maybe I misinterpreted your gesture and thought you were being a little merciful?
Jun 26, 2014 11:08 AM

Dec 2010
I'm still confused as to why does Chim think it means "spare"
Jun 26, 2014 11:14 AM

Jan 2013
I say ... behead him!

Oh, I mean ...

My option is that combat in a way you described is far too one sided and lacks any subtlety since it describes as vastly superior to monster girl while that monster girl suppose to be faster and stronger than average human.
Jun 26, 2014 11:20 AM

Jul 2013
KamikadzeTM said:
I'm still confused as to why does Chim think it means "spare"
Because a long time ago I was taught that the roman and the modern thumbs up/down meant opposite things, and that most people had gotten it all wrong.

Ed: Though I somewhat doubt they used the thumb up/down at all, and I also seriously doubt the romans themselves depicted the gesture or documented that
"On this sunny day, the 1st of august in the year 57 of the roman calendar, our most glorious Emperor Nero thus spared the defeated gladiator by gracefully stretching our his arm and pointing his thumb upward for all to see."
chimechuJun 26, 2014 11:25 AM
Jun 26, 2014 11:28 AM

Jun 2009
if i'd show you the chapter it would be too much of a spoiler and would include most of the chapter i think.

i'm trying to keep it to the minimum at which scene i show

Jun 26, 2014 11:38 AM

Nov 2013
While it doesn't seem as OP as I originally imagined, I still doubt the ability to easily dislocate a werewolf's shoulder
Jun 26, 2014 11:41 AM

Jun 2009
well, there was another scene before, but too much spoiler would be also unfair towards the writer.
Jun 26, 2014 11:44 AM

Jan 2013
You can not have faster reflexes than average dog/wolf or it is very unlikely and he is even able to break bones in a single hit while his bones doesn't break when being hit by someone who is in average already on pair with strongest human . Some MG are even stronger than werewolfs and able to punch through brick walls, so human logic can't be applied here. And if he claims he did martial arts .. no, you can't get this level from average lessons available to general populace since that is mostly used only to bully those weaker and younger. I doubt he didn't declared himself someone from spec ops?

edit ..
However, thinking of it, we got worse approved already. He can clearly argument with that. Still I would ask him to reconsider that "I am faster and stronger that any monstergirl" approach as next chapter he will punch hole through Kaori herself.
Only reason this didn't happened in Yuda story just yet is I was a snitch who brought it to GM.
beast_regardsJun 26, 2014 12:03 PM
Jun 26, 2014 12:14 PM

Nov 2013
Using the character charts is actually kind of difficult to compare at times. How the hell do humans have a "special"?

But either way I think this is pretty clear, the werewolf is stronger, faster and apparently smarter (if a bit scattered at times).
Jun 26, 2014 12:19 PM

Dec 2010
The Special stat for the humans is kinda just....there. A few MGs don't have specials either but have that stat. Ignore.
Jun 26, 2014 12:20 PM

Jul 2013
Indeed, green. I think the issue is a concern that allowing this part might lead to more badassery and either a) give a somewhat schewed perception of what is possible/allowed/common state, or b) Sooner or later turn into Yudaism
Jun 26, 2014 12:22 PM

Nov 2013
@Kami: okay will do
@Chime: If badassery is allowed I believe there is a probationary period before we can call upon any badassery.
Jun 26, 2014 12:23 PM

Jan 2013
You can approve it on basis that we got worse already and you want to be fair, but guts are telling me, if he wants to be a superior warrior right off the bat in first minutes on the island, it will only get worse in following chapters.
You know, subtlety. Of course, you want to like your alter-ego, but at least don't start whole story already working with premise of being the biggest baddest mot********* on this side of universe.
Jun 26, 2014 12:26 PM

Dec 2010
@Beats Yeah, I somehow get the feeling that he will go into the usual "training" which equals becoming unreasonably powerful under pretext that you earned it.
KamikadzeTMJun 26, 2014 12:34 PM
Jun 26, 2014 12:33 PM

Jan 2013
KamikadzeTM said:
@Beats Yeah, I somehow get he feeling that he will go into the usual "training" which equals becoming unreasonably powerful under pretext that you earned it.

And if you can earn the right to be powerful in MSG then you can definitely can't do so in first chapter. No free boost from level 1 to 90 on first quest!
Jun 26, 2014 12:38 PM

Nov 2013
I don't like all of these assumptions :T

Sent you each a pm explaining my side (just figured out how to join a club sorry bout that ^^lll)
Jun 26, 2014 12:39 PM

Jul 2013
Putting this here so everyone can see since it's relevant to everyone's opinion

Clarus_Nox's explanation
Jun 26, 2014 12:40 PM

Jul 2013
Our assumptions are mostly based on previous experiences, Clar. It's nothing personal, so please don't feel like we're out to get you or something like that :P
Jun 26, 2014 12:41 PM

Dec 2012
greatgreenman said:
How the hell do humans have a "special"?

Because we have the ability to wub... <3
(At least, according only to the cheesiest sci-fi "humanity is spared by the invading aliens" movies)

Or the ability to "always stand up once more, no matter how many times we fall", if you're more of a shonen-type of guy...
PantsManJun 26, 2014 12:47 PM
Jun 26, 2014 12:42 PM

Nov 2013
So can you give me you opinion now that you've read my part? Are there any other problems that I should explain and/or edit?

Personally I still feel I don't know the limits and rules to all of this yet.
Jun 26, 2014 12:48 PM

Dec 2012
Regarding Clarus' post, I'd recommend to make it more clear that she's only play-fighting. Don't mention it outright, but scatter a few hints and details here and there.

To make an example that you don't really need to follow, have her act rather jokingly and carefree up to the point when she gets seriously hurt. Banter, malicious teasing, painful but not particularly malevolent jabs are all good examples.

Once your MC (as unlikely as it may sound) actually start to hurt her, you can have her switch back to a noticeably more serious, battle-ready personality only seconds before you knock her out.

Underline the fact that there's a difference between "being serious" and "play-fighting" for her, along with the fact that your being able to somewhat fight back catches her by surprise and it should be pretty good to go for the time being. Perhaps a more minor wound would be recommendable, as opposed to JESUS CHRIST WHY DID YOU DISLOCATE HER SHOULDER? D:<
PantsManJun 26, 2014 12:54 PM
Jun 26, 2014 12:49 PM

Nov 2013
PantsMan said:

To make an example that you don't really need to follow, have her act rather jokingly and carefree up to the point when she gets seriously hurt. Then you can have her switch back to a noticeably more serious, battle-ready personality only seconds before you knock her out. Underline the fact that there's a difference between "being serious" and "play-fighting" for her and it should be pretty good to go.

That's actually what I did do, I guess it was just too subtle for Sebune?
Jun 26, 2014 12:51 PM

Sep 2013
I'm getting the impression that there is at least a little knee-jerk overreaction here. It also feels like it was explained as a werewolf getting a red-ass beating at the hands of Neville the Naked Newcomer =P

I've done a lot of martial arts training over the years (not counting swords) and dislocating a shoulder isn't that hard to do on accident with any mean soft style.
Jun 26, 2014 12:54 PM

Nov 2013
I already said this to Clar but I'll restate it here.

Scaling back on the damage done to her would make it seem more likely (instead of dislocating her shoulder, he somehow gets in a good strike to the cheek or something, maybe a little blood but nothing big). Then emphasize on her getting knocked out through her own arrogance, her momentum works against her with a little leverage from the MC, and she knocks herself out. I can buy that
Jun 26, 2014 12:57 PM

Jul 2013
emeraldtryst said:
I'm getting the impression that there is at least a little knee-jerk overreaction here.
Imo this means that Clar's intent didn't come across clearly enough.
Clarus_Nox said:
So can you give me you opinion now that you've read my part? Are there any other problems that I should explain and/or edit?

Personally I still feel I don't know the limits and rules to all of this yet.
I would suggest you make the fight scene a bit longer to let her toy with you like PantsMan suggested. Just by doing that you're letting the reader in on the deal without actually saying anything.

As for what's allowed and not, read the rules and read them carefully. They cover a wide-ish spectrum of things, and if you are still unsure after that, ask either here in the tech thread, or PM Su. I would also suggest that you take the time to at least skim through one or a few of the stories which are already running to get a feel for how we "play" if you haven't already done so.
Jun 26, 2014 12:57 PM

Nov 2013
@Em: I can dislocate and relocate my own at will, I know its not hard. Plus my training in Krav taught me dirty ways to quickly dislocate shoulders, fingers, etc. but I just don't see it as plausible with most MGs who are pretty hardy compared to our weak constitution.
Jun 26, 2014 12:58 PM

Nov 2013
greatgreenman said:
. but I just don't see it as plausible with most MGs who are pretty hardy compared to our weak constitution.

according to the state chart werewolf's constitution is the same as human
Jun 26, 2014 1:00 PM

Nov 2013
In the event of a tie, they win ^^.. house rules and what not.
Jun 26, 2014 1:00 PM

Dec 2012
greatgreenman said:

Then emphasize on her getting knocked out through her own arrogance, her momentum works against her with a little leverage from the MC, and she knocks herself out. I can buy that

This would probably be your best bet.

Clarus_Nox said:

That's actually what I did do, I guess it was just too subtle for Sebune?

The part that was posted was actually good, but I'd need to see the whole chapter to get a better idea if it's too subtle or not.
Jun 26, 2014 1:04 PM

Sep 2013
I'm only weighing in on this because I don't think the shoulder is such a big deal. Hell, popping that thing back into the socket could be a totally awesome bonding experience =P

I think the only concern is in avoiding another grand warlord crusade across MG island, especially at the hands of the impossi-lads from impossi-village
Jun 26, 2014 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
Dislocating shoulder is very easy if you fall from bike or well in any other sport you may ever chose not only martial arts...

As an accident!!

...it's quite hard to break some ones bones with a single intentional hit with your bare palm. That's skillz.

...it is even harder to have your opponent believe that you are only playing after you break his/her shoulder in one precise attack
Jun 26, 2014 1:07 PM

Nov 2013
PantsMan said:

The part that was posted was actually good, but I'd need to see the whole chapter to get a better idea if it's too subtle or not.

I agree that I'd need share full thing to for everyone to give me full advise since everyone is mostly working with 2nd hand or incomplete knowledge of what took place.

chimechu said:

I would suggest you make the fight scene a bit longer to let her toy with you like PantsMan suggested. Just by doing that you're letting the reader in on the deal without actually saying anything.

I didn't want to make it too long and it extending the fight too much would make it boring to read
Jun 26, 2014 1:08 PM

Jan 2013
Clarus_Nox said:
greatgreenman said:
. but I just don't see it as plausible with most MGs who are pretty hardy compared to our weak constitution.

according to the state chart werewolf's constitution is the same as human

Or munchin's number one argument e.g. using a every obscure power to get instant power up.
Jun 26, 2014 1:10 PM

Jun 2009
@ Clarus_Nox: Sorry if my explanation didnt come across well (bad at that ^^), but i also tried not to spoiler too much. The thing is, you do that in the first chapter, and we already have exerience with some players that wanted to go all badass. as said before, dont take this personal. Of course i'll excuse myself for not being more clear.

I also said to not take the chart too serious. yes, the chart shows the avergae chart, probably also the most a human could acheive in stats. But the MG stats are just the complete minimum (as you have for the companions. You add points so they have up to 25 points summed up. Almost the same is also true for EACH every girl on the island. Through experience, battles or whatever reason.)
Jun 26, 2014 1:11 PM

Nov 2013
@Clar: We don't so much mind a bit of a text wall if it lets us really get the picture. I'd worry more about the reader misunderstanding the situation (as in now) than reading too much. We tend to skim if we don't WANT to read too much, but then its our own fault if we don't get the message.
Jun 26, 2014 1:12 PM

Jan 2013
greatgreenman said:
@Em: I can dislocate and relocate my own at will, I know its not hard. Plus my training in Krav taught me dirty ways to quickly dislocate shoulders, fingers, etc. but I just don't see it as plausible with most MGs who are pretty hardy compared to our weak constitution.

Yea, I still remember the move instructor show which included catching a sliding breech of the pistol aimed at you in order to prevent it from firing. It looked cool for the show, but try that with real gun and you will get your self shot.
Jun 26, 2014 1:15 PM

Nov 2013
That was a bad instructor, I was never taught to catch it, I was always told to redirect it. The idea with handling guns is that in the heat of the moment anything can happen so don't bother with anything technical, just redirect and save your neck.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (52) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [MSG] mugen's Story ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

mugen91 - Aug 1, 2017

337 by YummyLunches »»
Mar 31, 2:26 PM

» [MSG] Another one by mugen

mugen91 - Jan 25, 2020

23 by YummyLunches »»
Mar 31, 1:39 PM

» [MSG] mugen's Story - Into the Dark

mugen91 - Jun 22, 2023

30 by mugen91 »»
Mar 31, 1:18 AM

» [MGS] adrift in the snow (venomwolf's story) ( 1 2 3 )

venomwolf - Nov 27, 2019

116 by venomwolf »»
Mar 30, 3:04 PM

» [MSG] MetallumOperatur's Story: A Brave New World ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

MetallumOperatur - Mar 22, 2017

214 by YummyLunches »»
Mar 30, 1:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.