Forum Settings
Forums

Original Robot Anime 'Captain Earth' to be Made by Bones and Star Driver Staff

New
Sep 6, 2013 9:24 AM

Sep 2012
According to the latest issue of Newtype magazine, anime studio Bones is making an original robot anime titled "Captain Earth." Key staff from anime "Star Driver" will work together again in this anime. This includes director Igarashi Takuya and Script Writer Enokido Youji. Schedule, cast, and character design information is not yet available.

A few keywords and phrases are given together with a picture showing a giant robot:
- It is a drama about boys and girls in teenager years as well as "super" giant robots
- It has a straightforward story
- It takes place in the universe as well as on Earth
- The stage on Earth is set in Tanegashima, a southern island where Japan's space center is located. (The game/anime "Robotic;Notes" is also based on the island.)

Source: page scan from NewType via Yaraon

Captain Earth on MAL
NaruleachDec 22, 2013 11:32 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 6, 2013 9:25 AM

Sep 2012
symbv said:
the game/anime Robotic;Notes is also based on the island

That's a bad sign.
Sep 6, 2013 9:29 AM

Jan 2011
Mecha anime by BONES? I'm so in.
symbv said:

Source: page scan from NewType via Yaraon
http://blog-imgs-61.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/ppp_201309070031374ea.jpg

Looks cool.
[center]
Sep 6, 2013 9:29 AM

Nov 2008
I like the mech there, I want it in the next ACE or SRT. The story is typical though, so hopefully the battles in space and on Earth are great.

Sep 6, 2013 9:31 AM

Nov 2011
VioLink said:

I hope it will be better than Eureka Seven AO but ofc, I'm looking forward to this.
Sep 6, 2013 9:40 AM

Aug 2008
Hopefully it won't be 'faaabulous' like Star Driver...
AntanaruSep 6, 2013 10:08 AM
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 6, 2013 10:03 AM
Mar 2010
I'm up for more robot anime!
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Sep 6, 2013 10:04 AM

Jun 2008
Staff from SD and it's an original anime... I'll look into it some time.

Stark700 said:
VioLink said:

I hope it will be better than Eureka Seven AO but ofc, I'm looking forward to this.

Agreed~
Sep 6, 2013 10:12 AM

Nov 2008
when it comes to mecha anime i always keep on open mind so i shall do the same for this one too.
Sep 6, 2013 10:22 AM
Mar 2009
Please be more coherent than Star Driver.
Sep 6, 2013 10:24 AM

Feb 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaazP_Udxh0

HYPED

Hope it's fabulous like SD. KIRABOSHI~

The director worked on Ojamajo Doremi. That's a good sign. It's gonna be so awesome!

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 6, 2013 10:25 AM
Feb 2012
As long as it's better than Valvrave (to name a recent mecha show), but then again, that doesn't mean much.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Sep 6, 2013 10:28 AM

Jun 2012
Will we see another catchphrase like KIRABOSHI!?

Star Driver was very flawed but I enjoyed the hell out of it. It wasn't even the ironic kind of enjoyment that people say for something like Valvrave. Definitely looking forward to this

Great to see all this BONES news again. Studio has been on the down low since Tempest ended
Sep 6, 2013 10:29 AM

Mar 2011
Bones and Mecha I'am in.
Sep 6, 2013 10:31 AM
Oct 2011
More awesome insert songs? More fabulousness? more delicious fanservice? I'm totally in!

Litrydow said:
symbv said:

That's a bad sign.
wut
Candor123Sep 6, 2013 10:36 AM
Sep 6, 2013 10:33 AM
May 2012
Well let's see.

Star Driver is freaking fabulous man.
Sep 6, 2013 10:37 AM

Dec 2012
GuiltyKing said:
As long as it's better than Valvrave (to name a recent mecha show), but then again, that doesn't mean much.

That's a tall order since Valvrave is really good :)

I'm in the fence about it right now. Although Eureka Seven is indeed my favorite mecha anime by Bones, their recent sequel has been a disappointment. Btw, the name "Captain Earth" does not carry a certain flare with it.

I guess I take another look after key visuals or PV is out.
Sep 6, 2013 11:18 AM

Mar 2011
At least isn't Capitain Planet.
Sep 6, 2013 11:23 AM
Oct 2012
I thought they couldn't get away with a name like Captain Earth without applying a certain sense of irony to it. Was I wrong? A conventional, straight-forward shounen mecha anime with teen characters is just a bit too... normal. Captain Earth should be a slightly anarchic action comedy with a retro tone and completely off-the-wall fights. Zero angst, all fun. The kind of show that ironically uses '50s-style designs and soundtrack. But this looks like pretty standard stuff.

Still keeping an eye on it, but my inherently sceptical nature is making it difficult to get enthusiastic.
Sep 6, 2013 11:26 AM

Sep 2012
Candior said:
Litrydow said:
symbv said:

That's a bad sign.
wut

It was just a joke, I meant that Robotics;Notes was crap.
Sep 6, 2013 11:30 AM

May 2011
Not a fan of giant robots but still will try it. I at least hope it's better than Star Driver.
Sep 6, 2013 11:32 AM
Aug 2011
Antanaru said:

Hopefully it's MORE faaaabulous then Star Driver.
Sep 6, 2013 12:01 PM

Apr 2009
New original mecha is always welcomed, especially if it's by BONES and the Star Driver Staff.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 6, 2013 12:47 PM

Oct 2007
I should be more excited about this but I've had consistently underwhelming experiences with mecha series set on islands featuring teen drama of late. Not one has turned out to not be a disappointing mess in the end, particularly those by bones. expect lots of color, good designs and sakuga but a go nowhere throwaway story. maybe we can get lucky though and get another Tempest style show.

This includes Star Driver which I found to be a complete waste of time in the end. The formula was amusing at first but wore thin pretty quickly after the first arc and the plot and character actions became indecipherable in the end.

ThangLong said:
GuiltyKing said:

That's a tall order since Valvrave is really good :)

I'm in the fence about it right now. Although Eureka Seven is indeed my favorite mecha anime by Bones, their recent sequel has been a disappointment. Btw, the name "Captain Earth" does not carry a certain flare with it.

I guess I take another look after key visuals or PV is out.

Since I never designated Valvrave as the must hate and construe as an objective bad show like so many others (Honestly i feel like no matter what happens at this point and no matter how much exposition things get or how many things happen that arent terribly uncommon for mecha series that people will still call it nonsensical and a terrible trainwreck cause that is and has always been the predetermined narrative and spin for Valvrave. most reactions to anime come across as predetermined negative or positive nowadays though based on name branding, studio, staff etc) I came to notice that what it does well that so many other recent mecha shows fail at by me is mixing it up and keeping things interesting with the cast and for a supposedly nonsensical show its one of few recent ones that feels like there's a real sense of purpose to what is happening on screen and to the cast and like things will matter in the end on some level. I could be wrong of course in the end but so far so good.
PeacingOutSep 6, 2013 1:03 PM
Sep 6, 2013 1:17 PM

Jun 2008
Wasn't a big fan of Star Driver, so i will most likely not watch this.
Sep 6, 2013 1:46 PM

Dec 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I came to notice that what it (Valvrave) does well that so many other recent mecha shows fail at by me is mixing it up and keeping things interesting with the cast and for a supposedly nonsensical show its one of few recent ones that feels like there's a real sense of purpose to what is happening on screen and to the cast and like things will matter in the end on some level. I could be wrong of course in the end but so far so good.

"Interesting" is indeed what I would describe Valvrave. Other things would be "unpredictable" and "tragic." It's rewarding to find that within those hectics and seemingly nonsensical events, there is an emerging of a real underlining plot that would be seeded for a great story. Character psychology & development speculation is another exciting thing about Valvrave. This brings back the feeling of anticipation I had for the Aquarion series, or the Eureka series before both sequels brought me disappointment.

Valvrave 2 will make or break the series. There is a possibility that it will go down the path of Aquarion Evol. Let's cross finger for that not to be the case :)

Back to Captian Earth, the influence of Star Driver seems appearent from the staffs to the story settings. So far, the robot design is ok although we don't get a full picture yet. Original story by Bones tends to work well if they can incorporate that lively animation with the meticulous in relationship building as shown in Eureka Seven. More will be revealed with promotional materials. By that time, we can have an idea whether we are in for a treat.
Sep 6, 2013 1:49 PM

Nov 2008
I prefer a Gundam or a Rinne no Lagrange approach or a blend of both with Gundam level battles and warfare and the drama on Rinne no Lagrange level.

Sep 6, 2013 3:04 PM

Aug 2013
That mech looks pretty damn cool. I hope this turns out to have a better story than Star Driver. Though I did like the weekly format of the episodes of Star Driver.
This "new era" they talk about is a load of shit. The age where pirates dream is over!? THE DREAMS OF MEN... NEVER END! AM I RIGHT?! — Marshall D. Teach
Sep 6, 2013 4:13 PM

Sep 2011
parfaited said:
Antanaru said:

Hopefully it's MORE faaaabulous then Star Driver.
If it isnt faaaaaaabulous then im disapointed

Oh man Bones + Mecha + writer of FLCL

THIS IS GONNA FUCKING ROCK

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 6, 2013 5:00 PM

Feb 2008
Sounds very generic. Can we have a mecha story that isn't about a teenage boy saving the world? Y'know, human beings do exist outside of the high school age range.
Sep 6, 2013 5:01 PM

Aug 2013
Veronin said:
Sounds very generic. Can we have a mecha story that isn't about a teenage boy saving the world? Y'know, human beings do exist outside of the high school age range.
Don't lie, no they don't.
This "new era" they talk about is a load of shit. The age where pirates dream is over!? THE DREAMS OF MEN... NEVER END! AM I RIGHT?! — Marshall D. Teach
Sep 6, 2013 5:02 PM

Nov 2008
Veronin said:

I just want some of the female cast piloting mecha, it'll be 2014, we need more female pilots holding their own against the enemy or whatever shit is threatening the universe.

Sep 6, 2013 7:11 PM

Aug 2012
Litrydow said:
symbv said:

That's a bad sign.

Disregarding the genius stab at R;N, I'd say it's a good sign since the island provides a pretty interesting setting. It's one of the more memorable settings I've seen, at least.
Sep 6, 2013 7:29 PM

Nov 2012
Gonna have to check it out, I heard Star Driver was decent though.

ZetaZaku said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaazP_Udxh0
lol
Sep 6, 2013 8:38 PM

Oct 2011
Surprise me with this work.
Signature
Sep 6, 2013 8:42 PM

Jun 2012
I don't get this fabulous reference.
Sep 6, 2013 8:49 PM

Mar 2012
Need to watch Star Driver and it's movie first then to make comparison.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 6, 2013 9:44 PM

Feb 2013
Bones huh? ... automatically lowering expectations... (I'll still probably watch it)
Sep 7, 2013 1:32 AM

Apr 2012
Same studio as RahXephon and Eureka 7, both of which are series in my top 20 and the latter my favorite of all time.

Count me the hell in.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Sep 7, 2013 1:57 AM
Oct 2011
Unit-01 said:
If you want fabulousness and nice soundtracks, then it's pretty good. Other than that it's just a monster of the week straight-forward mecha anime with a different colorful art-style .
Shuhan said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smDWqduPCs4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbkVxqgcP-k
Sep 7, 2013 6:01 AM

Sep 2011
Candior said:
Unit-01 said:
If you want fabulousness and nice soundtracks, then it's pretty good. Other than that it's just a monster of the week straight-forward mecha anime with a different colorful art-style .
It's just a fun as hell series, if you go in expecting nothing more than that then you'll have a good time, star driver is basically the best worst show

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 7, 2013 9:03 AM

Sep 2011
ChronosXIII said:
Please be more coherent than Star Driver.

Star driver had fabulous animation and art. But the story, characters, and coherency was complete shit
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Sep 7, 2013 9:43 AM

Jun 2012
Candior said:
Unit-01 said:
Shuhan said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smDWqduPCs4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbkVxqgcP-k

Oh wow lol. That bgm was pretty sweet though.
Sep 7, 2013 11:03 AM

Jan 2012
I love Bones,thank you for zetsuen lol
i'll be checking it out
Sep 7, 2013 9:20 PM

Aug 2009
As long as the mechas are 2D, I'm so tired of this cg crap. Just because something is mechanical doesn't mean it has to automatically be cg.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 8, 2013 6:34 AM

Sep 2011
Well at least that's the first news about a non moe/loli anime coming out in a while. The robot design looks cool.
Sep 8, 2013 7:13 AM

Jul 2012
Sounds awesome, always keen for a Mecha! Especially with the often beautiful art from nowadays.
Sep 8, 2013 7:57 AM

Sep 2011
Uriel_The_Fourth said:
Well at least that's the first news about a non moe/loli anime coming out in a while. The robot design looks cool.
Even though psycho pass S2 and hajime no ippo were announce not long ago at all

Also no one said this isnt a moe, if its by the star driver crew then it probably will have some

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Sep 8, 2013 1:15 PM

Sep 2011
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Uriel_The_Fourth said:
Even though psycho pass S2 and hajime no ippo were announce not long ago at all

Also no one said this isnt a moe, if its by the star driver crew then it probably will have some

Well what I meant to say is that at least this isn't another Mahou Shoujo or IDOLM@STER anime. I check the news on this site almost daily and lately that's about all I've been seeing aside from old manga ending.
Sep 8, 2013 1:25 PM
May 2013
Laciie said:
No, it's a reference to Star Driver.

ah
thought it had something to do with Start Driver but it was more than that
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
4 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.