Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 6, 2013 11:44 PM

Jul 2013
chikkychappy said:
"I hate them.. i will rip them apart.. tear them to shreds and eat them!"

HalfMetalJacket said:
Edefrem said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
Yet Annie seems to be the most malicious of the group in spite of how much less damage she's caused.
Is this including that fact that she's the one who probably lead all the titans towards the wall?

I didn't see her around the wall at the time, but did it actually say anywhere that she did? Just wanna know.

armin theorized it sometime back

If she really did that, then she is now the worst of the trio.

Annie is still one of my favourite characters in this series though. Her or Mikasa. Reiner proves to be the most fascinating by far though, so in terms of the most well written, I'll give it to the big bro.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Sep 7, 2013 8:17 PM
Jul 2010
Well in latest chapters Ymir said something about not remembering eating comrade of Reiner. And they replied with not remembering doing something as titans as well. Also the part with being warrior with purpose of destroying wall. I think reiner didn't do that on purpose for the first time. He had goal( catalyst to activate titan form) and uncounciously destroyed it. THEY RE GOOD GUYS
Sep 7, 2013 8:29 PM

Aug 2013
Annie is also implied to have killed Marco too, because she had his maneuvering gear.
Sep 11, 2013 6:35 AM

Jun 2009
Jotaro_Kujo said:
They're not meant to be sympathized with, and that's the point.

Says who? Going by the results of the poll alone, most people to not seem to hate them. I'm also in this group, at least as far as Reiner and Bertholt are concerned, Annie always semmed rather cold. Also it's pretty obvious that they did not do anything of that out of evil intent and are suffering from their guilt (again, at least Reiner and Bertholt, not sure about Annie). So I'm pretty sure they ARE meant to be sympathized with, especially with Bertholt's whining in the recent chapters about how they never liked killing people.

As long as we don't know why they did it, it's too early to judge them. I chose poll option number one, since Reiner is awesome.

MikasaxEren said:
There is never a good enough reason to kill 250,000 people without trying other options first.

And who said they never tried any other way to deal with whatever problem they are facing?
Sep 14, 2013 5:57 AM
Sep 2013
MikasaxEren said:
Annie is also implied to have killed Marco too, because she had his maneuvering gear.

Implied to have killed Marco? Jean took some other corpses 3D Gear when his broke, so is he implied to have killed that person aswell? ^^
Marco died inside the walls of Trost and the female titan never appeared there. If she had been, the normal titans would have hunted her which would have been very easy for everyone to notice since the army was in the process of luring the titans to the walls when Marco was last seen and he was clearly killed by a titan, so she couldn't have cut him down in human form.

---

As for BRA: Their actions are neither right nor just but I'm not sure if they can be called evil.
The only thing we know about them so far is that they consider themselves warriors, not soldiers. The difference between those two is that being a soldier is a job: you're simply a trained fighter under some governments command. A warrior however is someone that fights for his own beliefs. That can even be seen in Reiners "disorder". Multiple Personality Disorder is usually the brains way of protecting itself or coping with something, and Reiners "Soldier-Personality" is this coping mechanism which most likely appeared due to him growing an affection to his comrades.
So as a warrior he did what he believed to be right but his mind could not bear having to betray his friends for it and he took shelter by becoming a soldier: Someone that simply follows orders without questioning them.
If his reason for trying to eradicate mankind wasn't very very good he would have had the choice of simply saying "I'll stay true to my human side and stay loyal to my friends." and would have never developed MPD.
Sep 14, 2013 6:52 AM

Aug 2013
LestrangeHakase said:
MikasaxEren said:

Implied to have killed Marco? Jean took some other corpses 3D Gear when his broke, so is he implied to have killed that person aswell? ^^
Marco died inside the walls of Trost and the female titan never appeared there. If she had been, the normal titans would have hunted her which would have been very easy for everyone to notice since the army was in the process of luring the titans to the walls when Marco was last seen and he was clearly killed by a titan, so she couldn't have cut him down in human form.

---

As for BRA: Their actions are neither right nor just but I'm not sure if they can be called evil.
The only thing we know about them so far is that they consider themselves warriors, not soldiers. The difference between those two is that being a soldier is a job: you're simply a trained fighter under some governments command. A warrior however is someone that fights for his own beliefs. That can even be seen in Reiners "disorder". Multiple Personality Disorder is usually the brains way of protecting itself or coping with something, and Reiners "Soldier-Personality" is this coping mechanism which most likely appeared due to him growing an affection to his comrades.
So as a warrior he did what he believed to be right but his mind could not bear having to betray his friends for it and he took shelter by becoming a soldier: Someone that simply follows orders without questioning them.
If his reason for trying to eradicate mankind wasn't very very good he would have had the choice of simply saying "I'll stay true to my human side and stay loyal to my friends." and would have never developed MPD.

When Annie says "I'm sorry" around the corpses way back, that could have implied she took part in killing marco
Sep 14, 2013 7:23 AM
Sep 2013
ErenxMikasa said:

When Annie says "I'm sorry" around the corpses way back, that could have implied she took part in killing marco

It could be. But then again it could simply be due to the way BRA operate. When Armin first saw the female titan and guessed she was "like Eren" he took the wild guess that she might be the one that lead all the normal titans towards the breached wall.

Meaning Annie usually runs around outside to get the titans attention, Berthold breaks the outer walls gate, Annie leads the titans towards the gate and later Reiner destroys the inner wall. If that was true Annie (same goes for Reiner and Berthold ofc) would be indirectly responsible for everyone that was killed by those normal titans. Enough of a reason for her to apologize.
Sep 14, 2013 8:22 AM

Aug 2013
LestrangeHakase said:
ErenxMikasa said:

It could be. But then again it could simply be due to the way BRA operate. When Armin first saw the female titan and guessed she was "like Eren" he took the wild guess that she might be the one that lead all the normal titans towards the breached wall.

Meaning Annie usually runs around outside to get the titans attention, Berthold breaks the outer walls gate, Annie leads the titans towards the gate and later Reiner destroys the inner wall. If that was true Annie (same goes for Reiner and Berthold ofc) would be indirectly responsible for everyone that was killed by those normal titans. Enough of a reason for her to apologize.

That still means she took part in Marco's death.
Sep 14, 2013 1:27 PM
Sep 2013
Oh yeah she did. In fact she pretty much took part in the deaths of almost every human we've seen dying. It's just that I doubt she willfully and personally killed Marco just to get his 3D gear. He simply happened to die in the chaos BRA orchestrated and Annie took his gear afterwards. Maybe she found him before Jean did (haven't gone back to seeing whether or not Marco was wearing his gear when Jean found him) or she took it just before Marco was burned along with the other corpses.
Sep 14, 2013 1:29 PM

Aug 2013
after seeing episode 23, Annie is a confirmed piece of ****.
Sep 14, 2013 1:56 PM

Aug 2013
LestrangeHakase said:
Oh yeah she did. In fact she pretty much took part in the deaths of almost every human we've seen dying. It's just that I doubt she willfully and personally killed Marco just to get his 3D gear. He simply happened to die in the chaos BRA orchestrated and Annie took his gear afterwards. Maybe she found him before Jean did (haven't gone back to seeing whether or not Marco was wearing his gear when Jean found him) or she took it just before Marco was burned along with the other corpses.

That still doesn't explain her apologizing, I think the timing is too convenient for it to have been a coincidence.
Sep 14, 2013 2:03 PM
Sep 2013
Anime versus canon :P In the manga it's a reluctant smile, in the anime they exaggerate it into a long manic laughter.

ErenxMikasa said:
That still doesn't explain her apologizing, I think the timing is too convenient for it to have been a coincidence.

Well yeah it was pretty convenient. After all she knew people would die that day, but she couldn't have known who would die. If Marco had survived she'd have taken Minas Gear, or maybe the gear of one of the many redshirts that died that day. So there wasn't even a reason to kill Marco. Especially since he was neither and extraordinary trainee, nor a born leader or a threat in any other way.

Oh and whats more: Why would she have any need to kill him during the fight anyway? She needed to get a second 3D gear to kill the two captured titans. However the trainees only found out that titans were captured after the fighting ended. The Scouting Legion hadn't even appeared in Trost when Marco was last seen alive (luring away the titan that was going for Jean) so no titan was captured at that point o.o
LestrangeHakaseSep 14, 2013 2:20 PM
Sep 14, 2013 2:26 PM

Aug 2013
LestrangeHakase said:
Anime versus canon :P In the manga it's a reluctant smile, in the anime they exaggerate it into a long manic laughter.

ErenxMikasa said:

Well yeah it was pretty convenient. After all she knew people would die that day, but she couldn't have known who would die. If Marco had survived she'd have taken Minas Gear, or maybe the gear of one of the many redshirts that died that day. So there wasn't even a reason to kill Marco. Especially since he was neither and extraordinary trainee, nor a born leader or a threat in any other way.

Oh and whats more: Why would she have any need to kill him during the fight anyway? She needed to get a second 3D gear to kill the two captured titans. However the trainees only found out that titans were captured after the fighting ended. The Scouting Legion hadn't even appeared in Trost when Marco was last seen alive (luring away the titan that was going for Jean) so no titan was captured at that point o.o

No I meant the timing with regards to when Marco was revealed dead, it seemed like she was apologizing to him
Sep 14, 2013 2:30 PM

Aug 2013
LestrangeHakase said:

ErenxMikasa said:

She laughs in the manga too, there are the sound effect things on the panel where she grins, although it does seem less manic.
Sep 14, 2013 2:47 PM
Sep 2013
MikasaxEren said:
She laughs in the manga too, there are the sound effect things on the panel where she grins, although it does seem less manic.

True, but the anime goes as far as to show her blushing and laughing manically to depict her as the perverted psychopath getting aroused by what she does. Guess thats due to the Animes nature. It's about to end, so they need to turn her into the perfect villain for now.

@ErenxMikasa
The timing is convenient but there are lots of reasons for her to apologize. Either the fact that the titans that she lured in killed Marco, or she's apologizing cause she desecrated his corpse by stealing his 3D gear or she's simply sorry that some of her comrades died.
I'm not saying she's a good person, but for now the only person that has willfully killed someone just to get their equipment is Berthold. He's the one that ate a guy along with Ymir cause he figured he'd need the 3D gear to flee. Annie used Marcos death to her advantage which is already pretty disgusting, but I seriously doubt she actively killed Marco with her own hands just because she apologized to the people that died.
Sep 14, 2013 2:54 PM

Aug 2013
LestrangeHakase said:
MikasaxEren said:

True, but the anime goes as far as to show her blushing and laughing manically to depict her as the perverted psychopath getting aroused by what she does. Guess thats due to the Animes nature. It's about to end, so they need to turn her into the perfect villain for now.

@ErenxMikasa
The timing is convenient but there are lots of reasons for her to apologize. Either the fact that the titans that she lured in killed Marco, or she's apologizing cause she desecrated his corpse by stealing his 3D gear or she's simply sorry that some of her comrades died.
I'm not saying she's a good person, but for now the only person that has willfully killed someone just to get their equipment is Berthold. He's the one that ate a guy along with Ymir cause he figured he'd need the 3D gear to flee. Annie used Marcos death to her advantage which is already pretty disgusting, but I seriously doubt she actively killed Marco with her own hands just because she apologized to the people that died.

I don't know, I still think Annie killed Marco to take his gear, we kind of get a hint in the anime in episode 13 when we see Marco's shocked expression. Why would he be shocked if he saw a t titan? he had been fighting them all day, now if Annie was coming at him with her blades, then he would be surprised. More evidence to this is Annie's hesitation when Armin asks her why she had Marco's gear, if she had just taken it from his corpse she wouldn't have found it so difficult to answer that question.
The thing is, Annie doesn't care for anybody else. The only act of compassion we see is that she doesn't murder Armin, but why would she? he wasn't attacking her.

Marco's injuries can easily be explained as those caused by the titan killing blades, I mean look what Mikasa did to Reiner and Bertholdt so easily, or what a one armed Irvin Smith managed to do.
Sep 15, 2013 5:49 PM
Feb 2013
I have BIG sympathy towards them. I mean we don't even know their reasons for infiltrating the walls, and yet everyone is just hating on them. I actually became really interested into their characters now that they've revealed their identities. And All murders have a reason in them right? So why can't we just learn about their reasonings and backstories before we try to kill them. And Remember how Eren's dad gave Eren that shot as a kid. Well what if RBA had to face that kind of fate like that, and were told to destroy humanity from their village. Speaking of the village, does anyone wanna guess that the village is actually filled with other titan shifters in there, which explains the fact that RBA are trying to kidnap Eren and Ymir.

And I'm done with my ranting or something.
Sep 15, 2013 6:28 PM

Jul 2013
ConquestOtaku17 said:
I have BIG sympathy towards them. I mean we don't even know their reasons for infiltrating the walls, and yet everyone is just hating on them. I actually became really interested into their characters now that they've revealed their identities. And All murders have a reason in them right? So why can't we just learn about their reasonings and backstories before we try to kill them. And Remember how Eren's dad gave Eren that shot as a kid. Well what if RBA had to face that kind of fate like that, and were told to destroy humanity from their village. Speaking of the village, does anyone wanna guess that the village is actually filled with other titan shifters in there, which explains the fact that RBA are trying to kidnap Eren and Ymir.

They still did some nasty shit.
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Sep 15, 2013 8:59 PM
Feb 2013
HalfMetalJacket said:
ConquestOtaku17 said:

Like I said, they must've had some reason for it.
Sep 15, 2013 9:02 PM

Jul 2013
ConquestOtaku17 said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
ConquestOtaku17 said:

Like I said, they must've had some reason for it.

We'll see.

While I don't have much sympathy, I do feel pity towards RBA. I can see how greatly they've been affected by their actions, and yet they still believe what must be done must be done. Maybe sympathy is the same as pity.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 15, 2013 9:07 PM

Nov 2011
I'm still waiting for the reveal for what and why are they doing this.
It seems that Reiner and Bertholdt weren't completely lying about their backstory, but at the same time they've already dirtied their hands and so has Annie.
There is some big reason behind their actions we haven't seen yet, but even so it's going to be really hard for me to hold any sympathy towards them.

They've killed plenty of people and even fellow soldiers, it's going to take a lot to justify that. I'm wondering if it's going to follow that set up where someone betrays another and at the end of it all they die or receive punishment, but are forgiven by their peers.
RagixSep 15, 2013 9:31 PM
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Sep 15, 2013 9:24 PM

May 2011
Same. I'm still waiting to find out the story behind them and why they're doing everything that they're doing. But right now to me, they seem like Itachi from Naruto. It looks like they don't enjoy killing people but they have no choice for reasons that are worth the lives of many. They've stained their hands with blood for the greater good (?).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2013 9:41 PM

Nov 2011
Preciize said:
It looks like they don't enjoy killing people but they have no choice for reasons that are worth the lives of many. They've stained their hands with blood for the greater good (?).

I think that's more because they accidentally let themselves get attached to them as "friends". The ONLY way I can see it being for the greater good is if it turns out it's the Monarch who's the real villain here. I see that being very unlikely though.
Sep 15, 2013 10:07 PM

May 2011
Ragix said:
I think that's more because they accidentally let themselves get attached to them as "friends". The ONLY way I can see it being for the greater good is if it turns out it's the Monarch who's the real villain here. I see that being very unlikely though.

Well I don't think they were cold hearted killers to begin with. Since Bertolt repeatedly says they can finally go home it makes me think they were forced to go on their current mission. He also says he and Reiner cherished the times they had with their comrades during the 3 years of training. I don't believe they would have developed such a strong bond w/ their friends if they only cared about completing the mission given to them. Looks like Reiner, Bertolt, and Annie all have their inner conflicts.

As for the Monarchy, I could see it happening. With all the corruption going on, it seems like the government doesn't care much about anything or anyone but themselves. Plus there's so much about the cult we don't know yet so I wouldn't rule it out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2013 10:32 PM

Nov 2011
Preciize said:
Ragix said:

Well I don't think they were cold hearted killers to begin with. Since Bertolt repeatedly says they can finally go home it makes me think they were forced to go on their current mission. He also says he and Reiner cherished the times they had with their comrades during the 3 years of training. I don't believe they would have developed such a strong bond w/ their friends if they only cared about completing the mission given to them. Looks like Reiner, Bertolt, and Annie all have their inner conflicts.

As for the Monarchy, I could see it happening. With all the corruption going on, it seems like the government doesn't care much about anything or anyone but themselves. Plus there's so much about the cult we don't know yet so I wouldn't rule it out.

That's where the problem comes in though, they all say that, but are still willing to go as far as kill innocent people and even Marco presumably for their mission. Unfortunately, all we can do is speculate for now, but like I said, they're going to need a damn good reason for me to show them sympathy after what they've done so far.

It could, but as of now I'm not sure. I feel like the Monarch is just kind of there for us to know how exactly the whole place runs. I mean, we know almost nothing about the government or Monarch, we just know that there are nobles and a King, but we've been focusing on the Military only this whole time. If they do end up playing that card, I hope they give us more vivid details about the Monarchy and Nobles instead of giving us a bland static antagonist.

The cult on the other hand is something I'm rather interested in. Especially seeing as how they're seen as crazy, but hold possibly one of the greatest secrets of the walls and perhaps the key as to how humanity survive for so long.
Sep 15, 2013 10:55 PM

May 2011
Ragix said:

That's where the problem comes in though, they all say that, but are still willing to go as far as kill innocent people and even Marco presumably for their mission. Unfortunately, all we can do is speculate for now, but like I said, they're going to need a damn good reason for me to show them sympathy after what they've done so far.

It could, but as of now I'm not sure. I feel like the Monarch is just kind of there for us to know how exactly the whole place runs. I mean, we know almost nothing about the government or Monarch, we just know that there are nobles and a King, but we've been focusing on the Military only this whole time. If they do end up playing that card, I hope they give us more vivid details about the Monarchy and Nobles instead of giving us a bland static antagonist.

The cult on the other hand is something I'm rather interested in. Especially seeing as how they're seen as crazy, but hold possibly one of the greatest secrets of the walls and perhaps the key as to how humanity survive for so long.

I thought Marco had already died and Annie just took his 3D gear. But anyways, I know where you're coming from. I hope we won't have to wait too long for their reasons to be revealed to us.

I agree, I'm pretty fascinated by the mysteries surrounding the cult. There's so many ways the author could go with this.
Sep 15, 2013 11:01 PM

Jul 2013
My body is ready. Watcha got Isayama? Bring it on!!!
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 15, 2013 11:05 PM

Nov 2011
Preciize said:

I thought Marco had already died and Annie just took his 3D gear. But anyways, I know where you're coming from. I hope we won't have to wait too long for their reasons to be revealed to us.

I agree, I'm pretty fascinated by the mysteries surrounding the cult. There's so many ways the author could go with this.

I'm not so sure myself, I'll have to go re-read it. Although from what I do know is that even if she didn't kill him, she played an indirect role in his death as she did have his 3D gear, which she shouldn't have.
Sep 16, 2013 2:31 AM
Sep 2013
One again: Annie likely led all the regular Titans into Trost so she had an indirect role in every death that day. Same goes for Berthold. Reiner is prolly an exception. Maybe There was no need for him to break the inner wall or he was in his soldier-personality and couldn't do his job.

But her killing Marco for his 3D gear still makes no sense.

Time: Marco was last seen luring Titans away during the "titan eren boulder plan". The two titans that were captured were captured by the scouting legion. The Scouting Legion appeared right AFTER Eren sealed the gate and even then it would have taken a while for everyone to get the information that there were captured titans.

Reason: Thats the part that still annoys me, cause it seems like people are not content with the disgusting stuff Annie actually did, but are instead forcefully trying to turn her into even more of a monster than she already is. What reason would she have had to kill Marco at the time he died?
1. She could not have known she would need a second 3D gear to kill the captured titans before the Scouting Legion even showed up in Trost or minutes after they did. Was she just collecting 3D-gears for fun?
2. Even if she found out about the captured titans very early: Why would she need to kill anyone? There were hundreds of corpses everywhere and not all of them were chewed on (you can see multiple other fully intact corpses lying everywhere just one panel before Annie finds Marco while identifying the dead). Whats more, Marco was noone special to her. They pretty much never spoke in the manga and had no reason to like or hate each other, so why would she rather kill him (and risk someone seeing her kill him) than just pick up another persons 3D gear?
Even in court you can hardly claim someone is guilty if there is neither evidence for it nor any motive for them to comit the crime and Annie simply had no motive at the time of Marcos death. She may have had one a few hours or a day later when she heard about Sawney and Bean, but not right then.

Apology: Her apologizing to Marco is somehow taken as proof that she violently stabbed him to death with her sword on a whim. There's a very simple reason for her to apologize. She was the reason all those titans swarmed into Trost and then she sees that one of her comrades died because of those titans, while she's counting and identifying people. More than enough of a reason to owe him an apology.

"I found it": Another one of those quotes that seem to serve as proof. By telling Armin that she "found it" she's neither saying "I randomly found Marcos corpse and stole it." nor "I killed him to take it.". The important part at that moment is that she is not denying that she has it and is basically saying ""Yep, I'm the female titan" while still keeping up her pokerface and answering as vague as possible. She does the same thing seconds later when Armin asks her if she was the one that killed the captured Titans. She simply answers "Maybe, maybe not" - another vague answer that's still shocking because it's not a denial.

Fun fact I stumbled upon while re-reading those chapters: It seems like Annie never actively lies. Whenever she's asked a question she either refuses to answer, gives a very vague answer or tells the truth. Actually it's the same with Reiner and Berthold. The bits about their hometown that they revealed to Eren and Armin during training were actually true ( hometown being attacked by titans -> Ymir killing Berik / Reiner saying he has something he'll never deviate from and that he wants to see his homeland again -> they said the same in the last 3 chapters). Maybe it's their honor since they consider themselves warriors?
However all of them are passive liars ofc.
LestrangeHakaseSep 16, 2013 2:36 AM
Sep 16, 2013 3:07 AM

Jul 2013
LestrangeHakase said:

Apology: Her apologizing to Marco is somehow taken as proof that she violently stabbed him to death with her sword on a whim. There's a very simple reason for her to apologize. She was the reason all those titans swarmed into Trost and then she sees that one of her comrades died because of those titans, while she's counting and identifying people. More than enough of a reason to owe him an apology.

There's one thing people don't realise.

Annie was actually apologising to the corpse of Mina Carolina, that girl with the black pig tails.

You know, the cutie that got caught by the 'Moe' titan (some people find it kawaii, but looking at the corpse, more like kowaii)? The anime doesn't show much of the corpse due to its nasty nature but in the manga, its clearer.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7Hzc377HLFQ/TpFYu4gCziI/AAAAAAAACcw/SBb1NGhsLxM/180.png?imgmax=2000

Looks feminine. Has similar hair. Injury matches (her face was last seen in the 'Moe' titan's mouth. It must have discarded her corpse after chewing her face off. Kowaii indeed). Doesn't help when you notice that Mina seems to hang around a lot with Annie. She's apologising to Mina.

Really brings up some questions. Hope they show her body in the BD, would really clear some things up. Poor girl, I hardly knew you.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 16, 2013 5:10 AM

Apr 2009
I hope RBA will die a slow painful death.
Sep 16, 2013 7:07 AM
Jul 2013
I can't hate them and I kinda like them more than the other trainees. Seemed like they had been through a lot before the attack. Too bad they got themselves attached to the other trainees.

Annie had been trained by his dad since she was young to hate all humans and probably prepared for this specific assignment. I guess them warriors are all was taught that insiders (humans within walls) were all bad people and then had a slight change of heart seeing that their insider friends weren't as bad or rotten as they had originally thought.

Where is their 'hometown' anyway??
According to her flashback before getting captured, Annie still had her dad waiting for her.
Sep 16, 2013 5:11 PM

May 2011
yuquall said:
I can't hate them and I kinda like them more than the other trainees. Seemed like they had been through a lot before the attack. Too bad they got themselves attached to the other trainees.

Annie had been trained by his dad since she was young to hate all humans and probably prepared for this specific assignment. I guess them warriors are all was taught that insiders (humans within walls) were all bad people and then had a slight change of heart seeing that their insider friends weren't as bad or rotten as they had originally thought.

According to her flashback before getting captured, Annie still had her dad waiting for her.

Did her dad tell her to hate humans? I thought he said to hate him. I'm thinking Annie and her dad might be human b/c of the way she learned to fight in hand to hand combat. Not sure if titans could have developed some kind of martial arts.

Their hometown should be outside the walls.
Sep 16, 2013 7:45 PM

Jul 2013
Preciize said:
yuquall said:

Did her dad tell her to hate humans? I thought he said to hate him. I'm thinking Annie and her dad might be human b/c of the way she learned to fight in hand to hand combat. Not sure if titans could have developed some kind of martial arts.

Their hometown should be outside the walls.

There's a chance that they developed a martial arts system to astronomically raise their destructive potential. 15 metre tall monstrosities that know Muay Thai? Scary.

Maybe there's conflicts with other titans out there, so unarmed styles become more important than weapons.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 16, 2013 7:56 PM

Jan 2009
RBA are being manipulated by the Ape Titan there might be some extortion/blackmailing going on
Sep 16, 2013 11:25 PM
Sep 2013
They didn't even know about any kind of Ape-Titan and they do seem to do whatever they are doing of their own free will (even taking pride in it by calling themselves warriors). They could have been manipulated into what they are now by raising and educating them that way for years, but I doubt they've simply been blackmailed.

---

Just now I re-read a few chapters with my theory of BRA always telling the truth in mind and found something weird. Annie is not only drawn to people with strong dedication and willpower (Eren, Armin, that MP guy) but claims to be weak at times. So what if she's not kidding and not the strongest-willed out of the three?

So far I thought of Annie as the "leader" of BRA, but if she envies strongwilled people and is facinated by them, then it's highly likely that she might have a strong body but a weak heart (unlike Armin whose body is weak while his heart is strong).

So then I looked into who else would be the one calling the shots for them. If Annie is weak and more of an opportunist and Reiner is in so much pain he develops a second personality then the "leader" would have to be Berthold.
Funny thing about that is, once you consider him the leader you realize all the other hints towards that:
- When Armin and Eren asked BR about their past it was Berthold that did all the talking
- He is the most professional and keeps his distance to everyone while Reiner actually builds a friendship with some of them and Annie stays pretty close to Mina and bonds with Eren and Armin a little
- Berthold is the one that reminds Reiner of his priorities ("Don't forget you're a warrior.")
- When BR kidnapped Eren he was the one that came up with their escape plan (Eating a soldier early on to take possession of his 3D gear).
- All of their attacks relied on him striking first (It always starts with him destroying the gate.)
- He was the one that watched Ymir closely when she turned into a titan and he used that information to tell Reiner, that her speed would be a threat.
- In their human forms Reiner and Annie are two of the most skilled fighters, while he is the one that handles the talking. So maybe he's the brain and they are the brawn?
- Even among shifters he's visibly different, having an abnormal size. You could say he's a taller titan cause he's taller as a human but then again: Annie and Eren are slightly smaller than Reiner. The 2 of them turn into 14 meter classes and Reiner turns into a 15 meter class. Would Berthold slightly greater height really result in him being the only 60 meter class in the entire manga (even the Ape is smaller)? I'm guessing that there is something entirely different with Bertholds and Ymirs titan form compared to the rest.

I'm not saying he's worse than the other two and I still guess they are all victims that were grown and formed into what they are now, but under his guise of a shy and silent guy he seems to be the one thats under control for the most part and he is most likely the most loyal to their cause.
LestrangeHakaseSep 16, 2013 11:35 PM
Sep 17, 2013 6:01 AM

Aug 2013
I thought Eren's titan form was a 15m class? It certainly seems bigger than any normal titan he faces, and the same size (height wise) as Reiners form.
About Berthodlt being the leader, I think Reiner also has a say as well, and the anime seems to hint at this. Annie asks Reiner "should we move now" or something along those lines and he responds "wait until they gather first" which sounds strange if he was talking about the fate of humanity, I think he was waiting for them to gather and then turn into his armoured titan to break the wall, then Eren titan appears and the rest is history.
Sep 17, 2013 6:11 AM
Jul 2013
LestrangeHakase said:
They didn't even know about any kind of Ape-Titan and they do seem to do whatever they are doing of their own free will (even taking pride in it by calling themselves warriors). They could have been manipulated into what they are now by raising and educating them that way for years, but I doubt they've simply been blackmailed.

---

Just now I re-read a few chapters with my theory of BRA always telling the truth in mind and found something weird. Annie is not only drawn to people with strong dedication and willpower (Eren, Armin, that MP guy) but claims to be weak at times. So what if she's not kidding and not the strongest-willed out of the three?

So far I thought of Annie as the "leader" of BRA, but if she envies strongwilled people and is facinated by them, then it's highly likely that she might have a strong body but a weak heart (unlike Armin whose body is weak while his heart is strong).

So then I looked into who else would be the one calling the shots for them. If Annie is weak and more of an opportunist and Reiner is in so much pain he develops a second personality then the "leader" would have to be Berthold.
Funny thing about that is, once you consider him the leader you realize all the other hints towards that:
- When Armin and Eren asked BR about their past it was Berthold that did all the talking
- He is the most professional and keeps his distance to everyone while Reiner actually builds a friendship with some of them and Annie stays pretty close to Mina and bonds with Eren and Armin a little
- Berthold is the one that reminds Reiner of his priorities ("Don't forget you're a warrior.")
- When BR kidnapped Eren he was the one that came up with their escape plan (Eating a soldier early on to take possession of his 3D gear).
- All of their attacks relied on him striking first (It always starts with him destroying the gate.)
- He was the one that watched Ymir closely when she turned into a titan and he used that information to tell Reiner, that her speed would be a threat.
- In their human forms Reiner and Annie are two of the most skilled fighters, while he is the one that handles the talking. So maybe he's the brain and they are the brawn?
- Even among shifters he's visibly different, having an abnormal size. You could say he's a taller titan cause he's taller as a human but then again: Annie and Eren are slightly smaller than Reiner. The 2 of them turn into 14 meter classes and Reiner turns into a 15 meter class. Would Berthold slightly greater height really result in him being the only 60 meter class in the entire manga (even the Ape is smaller)? I'm guessing that there is something entirely different with Bertholds and Ymirs titan form compared to the rest.

I'm not saying he's worse than the other two and I still guess they are all victims that were grown and formed into what they are now, but under his guise of a shy and silent guy he seems to be the one thats under control for the most part and he is most likely the most loyal to their cause.

I actually applauded Berthold when he remained indifferent to Eren's rage bursts.
The forms of Annie, Berthold and Reiner titans are skinless with muscles and joints visible all over the body. But Eren's and Ymir's have perfect skin just like the other titans. They are definitely different from other titans and probably have the whole clan of shape shifters back in their hometown?
Sep 17, 2013 6:20 PM

May 2011
yuquall said:
LestrangeHakase said:

---

I actually applauded Berthold when he remained indifferent to Eren's rage bursts.
The forms of Annie, Berthold and Reiner titans are skinless with muscles and joints visible all over the body. But Eren's and Ymir's have perfect skin just like the other titans. They are definitely different from other titans and probably have the whole clan of shape shifters back in their hometown?

I wonder if their whole clan are actually shape shifters. I think if there were they'd send more people to back up Annie, Berthold and Reiner. Like j0x said, I think they're being blackmailed. Maybe someone is threatening to destroy their village?
Sep 17, 2013 6:26 PM
Sep 2013
Torture them until beg me to kill them.
Sep 17, 2013 7:04 PM
Jul 2013
Preciize said:
yuquall said:

I wonder if their whole clan are actually shape shifters. I think if there were they'd send more people to back up Annie, Berthold and Reiner. Like j0x said, I think they're being blackmailed. Maybe someone is threatening to destroy their village?

True. Or they were all assigned to different missions somewhere else?
It's obvious that they were somehow forced to do whatever they do.
Strange it might be, I do really sympathize with them.

I'm curious with what Berthold said though "Please find us". Now, what did he mean by that?
Sep 17, 2013 7:44 PM

May 2011
yuquall said:
Preciize said:
yuquall said:

True. Or they were all assigned to different missions somewhere else?
It's obvious that they were somehow forced to do whatever they do.
Strange it might be, I do really sympathize with them.

I'm curious with what Berthold said though "Please find us". Now, what did he mean by that?

I feel sympathy for them as well. Not only were they forced to do something, but they also have to carry the blame and hate while whoever is behind all this doesn't.

But anyways, when did Berthold say that? I probably missed it.
Sep 17, 2013 9:17 PM
Jul 2013
Preciize said:
yuquall said:

I feel sympathy for them as well. Not only were they forced to do something, but they also have to carry the blame and hate while whoever is behind all this doesn't.

In the last chapter when he pleaded to his former colleages I think just before he was attacked by Erwin, he said that in the end.
Sep 18, 2013 7:36 PM

May 2011
yuquall said:
Preciize said:
yuquall said:

In the last chapter when he pleaded to his former colleages I think just before he was attacked by Erwin, he said that in the end.

Oh, maybe he's hoping the people in his village will find him, Reiner, and Annie if they don't return? Or find out what happened to them and assuming they died, to acknowledge their deaths?
Sep 19, 2013 1:50 AM
Jul 2013
Preciize said:

Oh, maybe he's hoping the people in his village will find him, Reiner, and Annie if they don't return? Or find out what happened to them and assuming they died, to acknowledge their deaths?

Hm.. never thought of that.
But he seemed to say it to the fellow 104th squad.

Oops sorry my mistake. I just checked, it was chapter 48 not the latest one.
Sep 20, 2013 10:56 PM

Sep 2013
I love them because I find them interesting although I think Burthold is by far the most callous/dangerous. Annie and Reiner are conflicted on some level. Annie is questioning whether everyone is really her enemy and Reiner seems to have gone through a complete personality dissociation which is kind of scary. So yes I guess I have sympathy but less for Burthold.

But mostly I just want more of my butthole and weiner :D
Sep 23, 2013 12:42 AM
Aug 2013
unff love them three, i feel like they're being manipulated/used by someone else to do what they did?? especially seeing them guilt ridden eurgh, and when you remember than when bert and reiner attacked shiganshina they were like ten years old
Sep 23, 2013 12:50 AM

Jul 2013
promptu said:
unff love them three, i feel like they're being manipulated/used by someone else to do what they did?? especially seeing them guilt ridden eurgh, and when you remember than when bert and reiner attacked shiganshina they were like ten years old

Yes indeed. Y'all gotta keep this in mind. They might have been manipulated into doing this.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Sep 23, 2013 1:20 AM
Jul 2013
HalfMetalJacket said:
promptu said:

Yes indeed. Y'all gotta keep this in mind. They might have been manipulated into doing this.

Wow now that you mentioned it, I've completely forgotten about their age. Reiner and Berthold looked old for their age.

During Reiner and Berthold first interaction with Eren and Armin, they had obviously shown some detest toward the other trainees. They thought the others were just some spoiled brats who had been hiding all this time within the walls, never even saw a real Titan and only joined the army to hide themselves further in the inner walls.

But once they learnt Eren had actually saw a Titan and even witnessed her mother being devoured by one, they warmed up to him (partly maybe because they felt responsible for her death). Reiner especially took an immediate liking to Eren and coach him happily. Annie too was impressed by how Eren's determination to fight the titans that she offered to train him herself. While Berthold himself kept aloof.
Sep 23, 2013 2:50 AM

Jul 2013
yuquall said:
HalfMetalJacket said:
promptu said:

Wow now that you mentioned it, I've completely forgotten about their age. Reiner and Berthold looked old for their age.

During Reiner and Berthold first interaction with Eren and Armin, they had obviously shown some detest toward the other trainees. They thought the others were just some spoiled brats who had been hiding all this time within the walls, never even saw a real Titan and only joined the army to hide themselves further in the inner walls.

But once they learnt Eren had actually saw a Titan and even witnessed her mother being devoured by one, they warmed up to him (partly maybe because they felt responsible for her death). Reiner especially took an immediate liking to Eren and coach him happily. Annie too was impressed by how Eren's determination to fight the titans that she offered to train him herself. While Berthold himself kept aloof.

Bert actually did share his story to Eren. He also gave him some advice for 3DMG, so I wouldn't say he was cold.

Damn, the guys that Eren respected the most turn out to be spies. Gosh the betrayal would have hurt a lot.
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 13 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - May 15, 2011

21 by Steekira »»
Mar 27, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Oct 6, 2015

132 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 17, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 72 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ana - Aug 6, 2015

119 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 16, 9:19 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 69 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

peskylemur25 - May 2, 2015

127 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 5, 8:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.