Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 3, 2009 4:43 AM

Nov 2007
Jump to the last page of this thread to view the most recent sketches/ideas etc. This first post will not be updated.

While trying to submit a redesign idea for the 2.0 Beta icons/ buttons and stuff, several ideas came to my mind, including a mascot character for MALU.

Since MALU is an anime related application, it's quite hard to come up with a design idea that will look non-amateurish and both fitting the theme. So I thought if we had a single character that represents MALU, we could use her(or him) as a part of the main icon design as well as the main UI.

I'm sure lots of people here has seen at least once "moefication" of some program or website.. like Windows Me and other OS-tans. So why don't we try doing the same thing with MALU?

Once I have some good ideas, I'll try drawing a draft sketch and upload for feedback.
I know it may not be officially accepted as the MALU mascot, but even just for fun, I'd love to try this out, so please give me some ideas about her (him.)

Some of my initial ideas:
Name: Malu-chan/Maru-chan (マルちゃん/まるちゃん)
Hair: Light Blue
Hairstyle: ?
Eye: Dark Red?
Clothes: ?
Accessory/Items:: ?
Personality: Active, Organized

I originally imagined her as a full-scale character, but thinking now a chibi-mode would be nice too. (If I can manage drawing chibi, that is.. -_-;;

PS: btw here's a random pic I drew before, for those who want to know what my drawing style looks like. :P
zvucFeb 12, 2009 8:26 AM

kimatg on | blog | pixiv | deviantART
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 3, 2009 7:55 AM

Jul 2007
Hi, nice idea there. A few points:

De-Jay already made a new icon for the exe, in high-res for Vista/W7 and different sizes:

Hair: Light Purple or Pink or blond
Hairstyle: long straight <3
Eye: blue/green

Not really into chibi chars >< How about this one? http://myanimelist.net/character/1567/K%C5%AB_Shiratori/pictures

I could use new buttons for animelist/now playing/misc/tools btw for 2.0 if you wanna try. They are sets of 4 pictures each (normal, down, hover, disabled), transparent PNGs (must see through with Aero glass)

Feb 3, 2009 8:05 AM

Nov 2007
yea, I noticed the new beautiful transparent hi-res icon too. XD

I also do love long straight hair... and hell yess pink or blond, but I thought blue hair would fit cause the overall color theme for MAL (and MALU) is blue... but of course, if you want, you can change the main color theme anytime you want. :)

Kuu Shiratori... never seen her before but she sure looks nice. :)
But I've been thinking it would be nicer to create our own character from scratch.

As with the buttons, I started working on them (it shouldn't take so long) but I think it'd be nicer to first set a general style guideline to fit with other MALU UI elements.
For example a typical glossy Web 2.0 button with a plain gradiented anime entry wouldn't match so well, don't you think?

Feb 3, 2009 9:25 AM

Jul 2007
small video of kuu: http://picasaweb.google.com/hikaritokyo/Videos#5283698239686471026

blue color: actually.. it depends on the colorization settings of Aero glass; malu changes along with it; try a few ones, it looks good.

the anime panels are bound to change soon into something completely different.

those 3 buttons will be themeable later on, as part of a theme set.
KotoriFeb 4, 2009 3:58 AM
Feb 4, 2009 3:43 AM

Nov 2007
Here, I drew a quick sketch of what I had in mind.

Bleh, I messed up on the rear view. Drawing hair from the back is hard >_<
And I kinda don't like her hairstyle in the back. Should just stick with plain long hair? hmm...

Still haven't decided on her costume and colors.

Need some moar ideas! :P

Feb 4, 2009 9:24 AM

Jul 2008
beautiful drawings! I like her alot, ribbons are great <3
Feb 4, 2009 3:55 PM

May 2008
Can't see pic, nooo >.<
Feb 4, 2009 6:02 PM

Feb 2008
kimatg said:

Holybanans...
You sir have awesome skills if I may say so.
Looks really cute.
Feb 4, 2009 6:12 PM

May 2008
Oh hey, can seez now ^^ FF must've gone wack on me, could only see cached images >.<

That looks amazing, I wish I could draw like that... You going to make a final draft? I would love to see it
theeggman85Feb 4, 2009 6:26 PM
Feb 4, 2009 8:26 PM

Nov 2007
thanx everyone for the praise^^
but I really desperately need some ideas with her clothes, accessories etc to continue on,
so some suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :)

Feb 5, 2009 7:01 AM

Jun 2008
I think that she shuold be a sci-fi charecter, becouse she represents a program, so i think she should look something like this...

she definatly should be a cyborg...
Feb 5, 2009 7:39 AM

Nov 2007
New sketch, this time with costume.

Uh, it's just a quick drawing of whatever came to mind while holding the pencil. ;)
as a result, I made so many fixes and the paper's so dirty with eraser marks everywhere...-_-;;

Never tried actually designing clothes like this before... so i dunno, kinda looks like everything jumbled together.

So yea, still accepting any suggestions, feedbacks, ideas, including non-visual aspects such as age, personality, hobbies, etc.

@exec: Sci-fi huh? hmm... lol but I doubt she's gonna be a cyborg though. :P

Feb 5, 2009 8:27 AM

Jul 2007
maru-chan? lovely sketch there, you are awesome :D

She must be lesbian btw to truly represent malu.

Clothes: bloomers are 100% forbidden!
Age.. 14-16?
Feb 5, 2009 4:36 PM

May 2008
Kotori said:

Not sure why........ but I'm all for it >_>
Feb 5, 2009 5:12 PM

Jun 2008
Bi is better... she shuold be more free in her choise.
Feb 5, 2009 10:01 PM

Nov 2007
Kotori said:

Age.. 14-16?

lol now that explains why there are two girls in the icon...
so... does that mean now I have to draw another girl to be the yuri partner? :P

ok, leaving that issue aside.. 3_3

Clothes: oh yea, bloomers are definitely a nono, so I put on some spats under the skirt. spats are ftw! XDD

Feb 5, 2009 10:17 PM

Jul 2007
kimatg said:
Kotori said:

Age.. 14-16?

lol now that explains why there are two girls in the icon...
so... does that mean now I have to draw another girl to be the yuri partner? :P

ok, leaving that issue aside.. 3_3

Clothes: oh yea, bloomers are definitely a nono, so I put on some spats under the skirt. spats are ftw! XDD

a 2nd girl would be nice indeed : p

what are spats? (it looks like bloomers in the drawing)
Feb 5, 2009 10:19 PM

May 2008
the name spats just sounds... revealing.
Feb 5, 2009 10:40 PM

Feb 2008
Maru-chan Looks good. great work already!

Also Spats are shorts....
Feb 5, 2009 10:42 PM

Nov 2007
Kotori said:

a 2nd girl would be nice indeed : p

I'd consider doing a yuri pair, but they'd have to be kemonomimis.
Feb 5, 2009 10:44 PM

Nov 2007
spats (スパッツ) are i think what you call "leggings" in japanese...
it's what Hinagiku wears under her skirts XD

http://chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/16157/spats-tagme

Feb 5, 2009 10:48 PM

Jul 2007
kimatg said:
spats (スパッツ) are i think what you call "leggings" in japanese...
it's what Hinagiku wears under her skirts XD

http://chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/16157/spats-tagme

ahh that thing.. that's almost the same as bloomers :(

Feb 5, 2009 10:53 PM

Nov 2007
Not really, bloomers are more like pantsu. (triangular)

wait... I have a feeling the discussion's going somewhere strange... XD
zvucFeb 5, 2009 10:56 PM

Feb 5, 2009 11:00 PM

Jul 2007
That spats thing, it's usually worn by tomboy'ish uncute chars.

I guess you mean this: http://picasaweb.google.com/hikaritokyo/AnimeHayateNoGotoku#5179078116871978290

I love hinagiku but hate that thing =/ (it's not feminine at all)
Feb 5, 2009 11:03 PM

Nov 2007
well since Maru-chan's personailty is supposed to be active (at least that's what I thought her to be for now), i decided to go with that. But true, when I was done it felt too "boyish" so I put on some inner skirt as well to balance it out...

if you think it doesn't fit so well then I can remove it (?) as you please. :P
of course then the skirt will have to be a little longer...

Feb 6, 2009 8:07 AM

May 2008
Your sketch looks awesome! You're really good at drawing.
I have to agree with Kotori tho that spats thing doesn't look very feminine.
Feb 6, 2009 10:37 AM

Nov 2007
Taking the idea she should be more "feminine", I just trashed the first one and tried the seifuku variant. Kinda looks plain though... Can't think of a pretty seifuku design. =_=;;

Hmm, now that I look at it again after posting, her skirt looks way too short. mispositioned... orz

Well anyways, this time I actually tried coloring in, but I'm still not really sure if this is the right color choices... Eye color doesn't seem to fit with other colors. I wanted the skirt to be white, just cause there aren't many seifuku sets with white skirts (therefore is somewhat unique), but then the top has to be colored... and I tried changing around the colors but could'nt decide so just went with white+reddish accent. But because of it now it feels like there's too much white. ~_~

what are your ideas?

oh and yes, if you noticed, I used the last sketch and fixed it up. too lazy to start a new one;; But at least she actually looks like a 14-15 year old doesn't she? :P
zvucFeb 6, 2009 10:46 AM

Feb 6, 2009 11:38 AM

Jun 2008
i like it , the white color makes her look like an angel... and i think the eyes should be blue to make her look like a foreigner.
Feb 6, 2009 12:38 PM

Jul 2007
kimatg said:

That looks awesome! A few points:

- Maybe longer hair? (behind)
- Blue eyes would be nice like exec mentioned
- White -> angel, I like it
- Short skirt is a good thing
Feb 6, 2009 1:50 PM

May 2008
Looks great.
Longer hair and blue eyes would be good as mentioned above. Maybe a bit too much white for the clothes, but i like white as the main color.
Feb 6, 2009 2:10 PM

Feb 2008
I think, you have two girls now...
one is more feminine then the other as well...

Colour the first one in please, if not for this, then eventually, someday.

Great girl.
Feb 6, 2009 2:55 PM

May 2008
Kotori said:
kimatg said:

That looks awesome! A few points:

- Blue eyes would be nice like exec mentioned
- White -> angel, I like it
- Short skirt is a good thing

I agree, and you are amazing at drawing kimatg! Can't get enough.
Feb 7, 2009 11:18 AM

Feb 2008
Kotori said:

I second that.
Longer hair would be nice. :D
Feb 7, 2009 12:01 PM

Jan 2009
Could you try the same picture but with blue hair?

The blue like the MAL blue bar.

Feb 7, 2009 1:21 PM

May 2008
Joltan said:
Could you try the same picture but with blue hair?

The blue like the MAL blue bar.

Yeah blue haired girls ftw. Kotori doesn't like blue hair much tho, he has no tastes really :P
Feb 7, 2009 1:29 PM

Feb 2008
I'm sorry Permidian and Joltan, but looking at the picture again, I can't imagine that girl with blue hair... or longer hair... she looks good as she is, and would benefit form an accessory change or clothing change, to meet your demands, making a third variant... in my own opinion obviously.... and I would like to see Maru-tyan1 /Spatsu-chan colored in, but since she isn't going to be used....

Ah well do what you want, I'm an appreciator of both current girls and would like a third choice, if you guys are adamant to change, Maru-tyan2/Seifuki-chan.

Or Maru-tyan1/Spatsu-chan...

I can't wait to see the latest incarnation of Maru-tyan, but to me, the last two are really great and they are both their own girls...

I believe Spatsu-nee and Seifuki-nee, are sisters to Maru-tyan, Spatsu-nee being tomboyish and fun-seeking also the eldest, Seifuki-nee being the calm, cool, collected and organized one, the middle sister and Maru-tyan, being an active model and all-round cutesy/clumsy type... all three are in High school.

The three girls are yuri, meaning it would be triplet incest and obviously these two rely on Maru-tyan and Malu, to survive, so will do anything for each other and their cute Maru-tyan, ever since they were created... they needed definition in their existence.

If you think I have too much time on my hands, the truth is I do... and I just so happen to have noticed this Mascot discussion, there are two perfectly decent girls created for this mascot thing, they are almost like sisters already, I thought that with everything the creator asked about, I might as well throw in my thoughts...
Character creation, isn't just a cute girl in an image, it involves a back story, family, a purpose for being, a reason for living and in fact survival.

Seifuki-chan, is the class Representative in her high-school classroom, and highly coveted, usually she can be seen looking into her palm-top organizer to see if Maru-chan needs her help, she has a cool and calm exterior that is breeched only by her little sister Maru-chan, Seifuki almost always loses her cool when it comes to her family.

Spatsu-chan, is the only sister with a boyfriend, but most of the time he usually looks at her sisters, and loli girls... because their femininity surprise him, since he is used to Spatsu-chan, and is a childhood friend. Spatsu-chan wants his attention all for herself and acts cuter then any other girl only for him, though he believes this cuter side of her is her real side. Spatsu-chan is a hard-worker, part-time assistant at a convenience store and has special permission to work there, so long as her grades don't decline too much, as they were already low.

Finally, the last sister, Maru-chan, currently working as a model for her family, without Maru-chan the others won't even exist. Calm during danger, heroic, smart, informative and desirable, Maru-chan is the only sister that believes everything will be okay.

Kimatg is their father, no matter what we say or do to change that.

Their mother would have to be Kotori, without whom they wont exist... even if Kimatg drew them, Kotori was responsible for that creation.

The two are currently not parental figures for the sisters and the sisters must rely upon their looks and the help of others to survive in this world.

Sorry for this post.
LonerGothFeb 7, 2009 2:27 PM
Feb 7, 2009 1:51 PM

May 2008
I think that she has too long legs, or too short body... :) Could make her taller? It's just my small opinion... :P
Feb 7, 2009 2:13 PM

Jun 2008
she has to be a classrep, so she should have a brassard or something and i think that major changes are not needed maybe some accesories (or wings and halo >_<) , maybe a palmtop to show that she has any info needed.
Feb 7, 2009 3:23 PM

Jun 2008
Awesome drawing skill! She's adorable! I just would have imagined her to look a little more 21st century.
Feb 7, 2009 3:37 PM

Aug 2007
uhm... this thread scares me.
but anyway, I like all the drawings, they're cute and all but... I don't think any of them have anything to do with MALu, or any kind of software.

If it were me I'd go somewhere along the lines of the OS-Tans or the Vocaloid girls.
A somewhat more hi-tech/futuristic costume with parts of the design reflecting parts of the softwares (like the OS-Tans, for example the half-transparent clothes of ChiVis-tan for Aero, or the huge-boobs in XP for the ram-eating issues).

PS: ^^^ sign up here is a bit to big I guess you better fix that before some mod notices :D
Needs to fix this sometime but I'm lazy - since 11/05/2009
Feb 7, 2009 4:21 PM

Jul 2007
Bard said:
uhm... this thread scares me.
but anyway, I like all the drawings, they're cute and all but... I don't think any of them have anything to do with MALu, or any kind of software.

If it were me I'd go somewhere along the lines of the OS-Tans or the Vocaloid girls.
A somewhat more hi-tech/futuristic costume with parts of the design reflecting parts of the softwares (like the OS-Tans, for example the half-transparent clothes of ChiVis-tan for Aero, or the huge-boobs in XP for the ram-eating issues).

PS: ^^^ sign up here is a bit to big I guess you better fix that before some mod notices :D

I'd still rather like something like the current drawings than some techy stuff; angelic/feminine girls ftw
Feb 7, 2009 4:50 PM

Dec 2007
I want to see a chibi one with wings ^^ She could be then given the prestigious task of being a status changes announcer :D
Feb 7, 2009 5:34 PM

Apr 2008
Hmm..I'll go with a loli that portrays an energetic attitude.

Feb 7, 2009 6:25 PM

Jul 2007
LonerGoth said:
Their mother would have to be Kotori, without whom they wont exist... even if Kimatg drew them, Kotori was responsible for that creation

huh, I'd rather be one of them than an old obasan
Feb 7, 2009 6:32 PM

Feb 2008
Kotori if you take it seriously you really are more obasan than you think... and I can change it at will, so all you have to do is ask... so, kotori, how I work you into the story now is going to be a challenge... though honestly I think your more of a mother to the sisters.

Honestly, your responsible for their creation... if your a sister or a fellow student?

Well whatever, I can change it easily. Kotori-chan any requests?

oh, you two are part of my story, but you don't have to be!

Seifuki-chan,

Spatsu-chan,

Finally,

That is their whole family, until they incorporate more friends into their own lives, each one of their friends are responsible for the maintenance and running of each part of the malu program.

LonerGothFeb 7, 2009 6:48 PM
Feb 7, 2009 6:48 PM

Aug 2007
This thread is getting scarier by the minute. I'm getting mixed vision of Kotori with a seifuku and my brain hurts :D

Kotori said:
I'd still rather like something like the current drawings than some techy stuff; angelic/feminine girls ftw

I never said the shouldn't be that, I DO like angelic and feminine girls (even thought everytime I think about "angelic girls" in anime I get vision of Dokuro-chan) I just don't think they exclude each other (and also here and here and here)

Plus, I do like Chivis-tan anyway.
Feb 7, 2009 6:52 PM

Apr 2008
Dokuro-chan also goes with my suggestion XD

Feb 7, 2009 6:52 PM

May 2008

Kotori should be their grandmother, imo.
Feb 7, 2009 6:55 PM

Aug 2007
great now I have mixed visions of Kotori and the old-grandma from Ranma 1/2.
but why everyone is so set on making a Kotori-gender-swap? :(
Feb 7, 2009 6:56 PM

Feb 2008
Kotori who would be responsible for setting up the family that would give birth to the sisters, and the company the sisters all work for, a very nice suggestion permidian.
and lol, Kotori could be a grandparent, with this addition to the story, so a grand father instead?

I wonder if the sisters' real parents are all of us for our cumulative suggestions.

in other words, they may be what they are, because of all of us.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» How to comment on my updates?

ADumbNut - Apr 13

0 by ADumbNut »»
Apr 13, 2:05 PM

» How to comment on my updates?

ADumbNut - Apr 13

0 by ADumbNut »»
Apr 13, 1:58 PM

Sticky: » [Bug reports / Help] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kotori - Feb 19, 2008

5259 by Bahamut_Zero »»
Sep 27, 2022 5:06 PM

» How Does This Thing Work And How Do I Set It Up

ahmed0112 - Jun 14, 2020

2 by Lion3MAL »»
Mar 14, 2022 6:52 PM

» Where is the "theme" folder located?

Legends_of_anime - Jan 13, 2021

1 by TimidSquid »»
Feb 3, 2021 9:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.