Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 2, 2013 2:47 AM

Apr 2012
Red_Keys said:
baki502 said:
Whining = crying/complaining about their problems in an unproductive manner.
Kind of like what you're doing in this topic? :S

baki502 said:
Nothing speaks against talking about your problem to someone who then gives you advice to solve your problem.
Whining, on a psychological level, is exactly this. You are voicing, and as a result bringing attention to, your problems with the hope of getting rid of them. That's what any instance of complaining is. Ever.

baki502 said:
But the kind that just cry and dont even want advice or anything just crying for the sake of it annoy the hell out of me. Maybe its because I am more of a logical person than an emotional and I see no logic in crying since its unproductive that I cant relate to whiny characters...
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=657859&show=0#msg24876641

Not quite. The difference is I bring arguments and try to have a discussion while whiny characters just dont want to hear anything other than compassion for their problems.

And I never said I was emotionless I just said that I tend to act on thinking and what my brain deems the best solution rather than what my emotions are.
Sep 2, 2013 2:50 AM

Apr 2012
dankickyou said:
Red_Keys said:
I also with I rather lived in the 1910's and got drafted in WW1, so I could fight in the trenches, because guns are so kewl!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRv56gsqkzs

Look at these World War 1 veterans shivering and whining away from their problems like cowards. What effeminate pussies! Why cant they be like real men!!!

Theese men arent pussies. They have seen real terror and they dont even whine about it. What I see are men where their bodies react against their will not men that whine deliberately.
Sep 2, 2013 2:56 AM
Aug 2013
baki502 said:

While I see what you're saying (I can't stand Yuki), having a more-fleshed out story is more important to me than having likeable characters or unrealistic development. It's up for cebate whether Mirrai Nikki had a fleshed-out story, though.

The initial question of why these characters exist, can only be answered on a case-by-case basis, because this is too large of a phenomenon to really pin down a cause. Take Shinji, for example. It's said that many of the character's mental problems stem from the director's problems, but this doesn't seem like something that would be a common theme.
Sep 2, 2013 3:01 AM

Sep 2012
baki502 said:
Not quite. The difference is I bring arguments and try to have a discussion while whiny characters just dont want to hear anything other than compassion for their problems.
Your argument is you just whining about characters not behaving in the way you want them to behave. And seeing as how this forum conversation is going to do absolutely nothing resulting in the change of how male characters are written, I'd say it's pretty much you seeking compassion for your problem, instead of actually solving it. :S

baki502 said:
And I never said I was emotionless I just said that I tend to act on thinking and what my brain deems the best solution rather than what my emotions are.
Probably because you've never been in a situation where your emotions were under severe stress.
Sep 2, 2013 3:04 AM

Nov 2011
baki502 said:

Theese men arent pussies. They have seen real terror and they dont even whine about it. What I see are men where their bodies react against their will not men that whine deliberately.

Run away crying when seeing a uniform, jumping under the bed and crying when hearing the word bomb. What sissies! Jesus, even Shinji doesn't jump under the bed when he hears the word Angel.

Red_Keys said:
baki502 said:
Your argument is you just whining about characters not behaving in the way you want them to behave. And seeing as how this forum conversation is going to do absolutely nothing resulting in the change of how male characters are written, I'd say it's pretty much you seeking compassion for your problem, instead of actually solving it. :S

LOL
The Art of Eight
Sep 2, 2013 8:48 AM

Aug 2013
Well. I actually prefer my men to be effeminate. I find it really attractive, when done right.

I think Japan has some social thing where men try and be more effeminate (I read it on wikipedia, grain of salt). So, maybe that's it?

Edit: I also enjoy crying about my problems. A lot. As in, let me write a novel about my feelings. I can't stand to be in a public place for too long, because I have a problem with expressing emotions in public.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Sep 2, 2013 8:57 AM

Nov 2011
Slayermaster said:

Edit: I also enjoy crying about my problems. A lot. As in, let me write a novel about my feelings. I can't stand to be in a public place for too long, because I have a problem with expressing emotions in public.

:D
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbd530nmXl1qmary5o1_500.gif
The Art of Eight
Sep 2, 2013 9:16 AM

Feb 2013
There are cultural reasons for it. It's not just in anime. But in any case I don't mind it adds more variety.
Sep 2, 2013 9:20 AM

Sep 2012
dankickyou said:
Red_Keys said:
I also with I rather lived in the 1910's and got drafted in WW1, so I could fight in the trenches, because guns are so kewl!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRv56gsqkzs

Look at these World War 1 veterans shivering and whining away from their problems like cowards. What effeminate pussies! Why cant they be like real men!!!

That video is so gay. Watch the manly version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aY2Q6nEh34
Sep 2, 2013 9:24 AM

Aug 2013
Someone tell OP that traps are intended for men to fap to.

I wanna see his reaction.
Sep 2, 2013 9:25 AM

Jan 2011
you mean like Griffith, Reinhard, Albafica? those guys wouldnt be as awesome if they didnt look bishonen or acted in a effeminate way, so no i dont mind this but i do dislike whiny teenagers
Sep 2, 2013 9:38 AM

Nov 2012
I don't particularly like feminine males, but I don't mind them either. I am more bothered by this persisting concept that real men can't be sensitive or have frail bodies or whatever.

And I don't think they are the most prominent in the industry. They exist, but why not? There are people like that, so why not characters?

But when they pack the series full with that type, to cater to girls and start a fad, I won't watch it, because it's obviously not my cup of tea.
Sep 2, 2013 11:03 AM

Apr 2013
Anime needs more attractive bearded characters
Sep 2, 2013 11:17 AM
Aug 2013
i don`t like trap characters or effimnate.
Sep 2, 2013 12:07 PM
Aug 2011
I like both effeminate boys and manly men men.
Sep 2, 2013 12:27 PM

Sep 2012
The only effeminate character I can stand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnrfV6R9PYk

BRING IT ON!
Sep 2, 2013 12:36 PM
Aug 2011
SetsukoHara said:
The only effeminate character I can stand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnrfV6R9PYk

BRING IT ON!

Bon-chan is freaking amazing and in a league of his own.
I pity the fool who doesn't like Bon Clay.
Sep 2, 2013 3:58 PM

Apr 2012
Vita_Aeterna said:

This. Too many shaved pussies in anime. Real men have beards of epic proportions.
Sep 2, 2013 10:06 PM

Jun 2008
baki502 said:
Too many shaved pussies in anime. Real men have beards of epic proportions.

My naturally perverted mind drifted into quite the scene with your first sentence.
Sep 2, 2013 10:44 PM

Apr 2013
baki502 said:
Vita_Aeterna said:

This. Too many shaved pussies in anime. Real men have beards of epic proportions.
baki502 said:
Vita_Aeterna said:

Epic proportions? Nah man, I'm talking a heavy stubble beard or light stubble beard. Literally no one in anime has that, for two reasons I'm guessing,
1.Asians can't grow near-cheek level beard
2.Must be hard to create from a character design standpoint
Sep 6, 2013 3:57 PM

Jun 2011
I am typically glad to see characters who are not too stereotypical. I've had enough of emotionally repressed male characters who only care about getting stronger/more powerful. I've had enough of overly emotional female characters who only care about "girly things," talking about emotions, and chasing after male characters. It's fine if that is their starting point and they develop as a character, but if that is essentially all there ever is to them... they're pretty bland, more often than not.

For me, a character who has some stereotypical traits of both genders is more believable and relatable. Most of the people I know have a combination of masculine and feminine traits, and I certainly fall under this category as well. In general, I view gender stereotypes as limiting at best and damaging at worst. I would rather people feel free to be themselves without worrying about whether they might be criticized for being "unfeminine" or "unmanly" if they act in a certain way. Consequently, I also like seeing all sorts of characters: characters who are very masculine or very feminine, characters who are bit more one than the other, and characters so balanced between the two that they are androgynous.

Variety and individuality in characters is what I find most interesting, so yes, I do have an appreciation for effeminate male characters in anime.
Sep 6, 2013 4:15 PM

Aug 2013
Vita_Aeterna said:
baki502 said:
Vita_Aeterna said:

baki502 said:
Vita_Aeterna said:

Epic proportions? Nah man, I'm talking a heavy stubble beard or light stubble beard. Literally no one in anime has that, for two reasons I'm guessing,
1.Asians can't grow near-cheek level beard
2.Must be hard to create from a character design standpoint
So what about guys like Shanks, Gildarts, Starrk, Shunsui, Count of Monte Cristo from Gankutsuou?
Sep 6, 2013 4:18 PM

Jul 2012
Shanks and Gildarts are the same person.
Sep 6, 2013 4:19 PM

Sep 2012
Jesus, not this thread again.
Sep 6, 2013 4:20 PM

Aug 2013
battosai-01 said:
Red_Keys said:
Male characters that express emotion??

What are they, human or something? Give me a break.

Obviously you didn't bother to read my post. I'm not saying they don't have emotions, but rather they would express them selves in a more feminine way. Men are often seen as more aggressive and confrontational, so it's expected for them to face their problems head-on (physical violence, direct conflicts). While females are more reclusive and rather deal with their emotions in a more roundabout way by keeping them inside (getting depressed/crying), or projecting them onto other people (bitching/whining). Obviously not all men or women act this way, these are just the general stereotypes associated with both genders. Yet anime seem to always lean more toward the the feminine way for both males and females. Also manly tears in GAR anime is usually reserved for mourning (which is easily excusable) or admiration (which is hard to explain... I guess it would be like an extreme form of respect)
Lol it's a known fact women are better at expressing their feelings than us guys. Men are the ones most likely to repress emotion. The only emotions we can fully display and not be looked down upon by society are happiness and anger.
cub said:
Oda doesn't seem to think so or he would of sued Mashima already.
DrGeroCreationSep 6, 2013 4:25 PM
Sep 6, 2013 4:34 PM
Aug 2011
cub said:

:3
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 1 hour ago

3 by Ri-KoRin »»
2 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 33 minutes ago

1 by Lhundrup »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 6 hours ago

26 by BlueBullet178 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 7 hours ago

15 by Jonas-K »»
9 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - 7 hours ago

11 by Ten »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.