MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Effeminate male chars
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Effeminate male chars

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
09-02-13, 1:15 AM

Bi-shounens, Cross dressers/traps, scrawny emo/whiny teenagers all fall under this category. It seems more and more anime have more male characters with more effeminate traits. Why do you think these characters are so popular and do you enjoy them? Personally I'm not too fond of them, I find it strange how many there are in most anime and what appeal they have. It feels like the industry is saying to chop off your dick and put on some make-up and people will accept you. Or if you act in a more feminine way girls will like you. This is obviously not the case. Now I'm not saying that all men should have x traits and y appearance, everyone is different and is free to express themselves. However I just find it strange that these types of traits and appearances are some of the most prominent in the anime industry.
Modified by battosai-01, 09-02-13, 1:26 AM

09-02-13, 1:16 AM

They are prominent, but not the most prominent.

I am a fan of traps/reverse-traps myself, but that's just based on my attraction to depth/hidden identity. I find that they are very intriguing to watch, and I love the aspects that make them what they are.

I.e Kirito is a "cute boy doing cute boy things" However, someone like Hideyoshi is a whole different level.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou

09-02-13, 1:23 AM

I don't say I enjoy them, but I prefer bi-shounen to muscular, gar male characters

09-02-13, 1:25 AM

battosai-01 said:
Bi-shounens, Cross dressers/traps, scrawny emo/whiny teenagers all fall under this category. It seems more and more anime have more male characters with more effeminate traits. Why do you think these characters are so popular and do you enjoy them? Personally I'm not too fond of them, I find it strange how many there are in most anime and what appeal they have. It feels like the industry is saying to chop off your dick and put on some make-up and people will accept you. Or if you act in a more feminine way girls will like you. This is obviously not the case. Now I'm not saying that all men should have x traits and y appearance, everyone is different and is free to express themselves however they want. However I just find it strange that these types of traits and appearances are some of the most prominent in the anime industry.

Yeah....uhmm I don't like traps, scrawny emos as well in my anime. I also don't like androgynous guys that easily can be mistaken for chicks; Because most guys in Japan nowaday are betas that's why it's so popular?(or so MAL says...)
Modified by 1L0can0, 09-02-13, 1:29 AM
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

09-02-13, 1:35 AM

I actually thought girls (especially japanese) dig these kind of men. The ones that look like girls but still have a dick. Never exactly got the point of that since you could just go lesbian and have fun with strap-ons instead, but hey.
However I know for a fact that most like girly boys. They want us to shave everywhere and they dont want us to have epic beards. I mean wtf beards are like the manliest thing in the world!

09-02-13, 1:38 AM

Male characters that express emotion??

What are they, human or something? Give me a break.

09-02-13, 1:46 AM

Red_Keys said:

Uhm we are talking about appearence here not the character, whats this got to do with emotion?

09-02-13, 1:46 AM

Red_Keys said:

> Implying that GAR characters can't express emotions

OT:
Fujoshi, or because females are becoming more afraid of manly men.
<-- Derailer

09-02-13, 1:47 AM

baki502 said:
Uhm we are talking about appearence here not the character, whats this got to do with emotion?
Read the OP again.

09-02-13, 1:48 AM

Candior said:
Red_Keys said:

> Implying that GAR characters can't express emotions

Exactly. When manly characters express emotion that its real one and its moving. When the bitchy girly characters express their "emotion" every episode I just cant feel for them and thing their are whiny bitches cough* Shinji *cough

09-02-13, 1:48 AM

Red_Keys said:

Obviously you didn't bother to read my post. I'm not saying they don't have emotions, but rather they would express them selves in a more feminine way. Men are often seen as more aggressive and confrontational, so it's expected for them to face their problems head-on (physical violence, direct conflicts). While females are more reclusive and rather deal with their emotions in a more roundabout way by keeping them inside (getting depressed/crying), or projecting them onto other people (bitching/whining). Obviously not all men or women act this way, these are just the general stereotypes associated with both genders. Yet anime seem to always lean more toward the the feminine way for both males and females. Also manly tears in GAR anime is usually reserved for mourning (which is easily excusable) or admiration (which is hard to explain... I guess it would be like an extreme form of respect)
Modified by battosai-01, 09-02-13, 2:11 AM

09-02-13, 1:50 AM

Red_Keys said:
baki502 said:
Read the OP again.

Right back at you. He mentions emo/whiny teenagers once and then continues to focus on the appearance and not character traits. Yet you choose to focus on the 5% part of his text rather than the 95%.

09-02-13, 1:50 AM

battosai-01 said:
Red_Keys said:

Obviously you didn't bother to read my post. I'm not saying they don't have emotions, but rather they would express them selves in a more feminine way. Men are often seen as more aggressive and confrontational, so it's expected for them to face their problems head-on (physical violence, direct conflicts). While females are more reclusive and rather deal with their emotions in a more roundabout way by keeping them inside (getting depressed/crying), or projecting them onto other people (bitching/whining). Obviously not all men or women act this way, these are just the general stereotypes associated with how both genders. Yet anime seem to always lean more toward the the feminine way for both males and females.
What character specifically do you have in mind?

09-02-13, 1:56 AM

YandereTheEmo said:

I.e Kirito is a "cute boy doing cute boy things"

Kirito doesn't fall under this.
Red_Keys said:

That doesn't even make sense. Is being whiny and bitchy the only way to express their emotion? No.

Guts for example doesn't fit into this category but he is still amazingly developed and relatable, you can really connect with the character on an emotional level, his deep emotions and everything about him is so well written. The same can be said about Kurosawa and Kurono Kei. But when you have other emo characters that are excessive with their annoying emotions ( they just have to remind you in every episode how ''miserable and sad'' their life is, just constant whining) and they are never developed properly, it's no wonder people dislike them.

OT: I'm not really a fan and I personally don't like them at all. Traps are usually just used for comedy and I'm okay with that since I'm not really interested in people with gender identity problems and stuff like that, I wouldn't be interested with something that goes in depth like the wandering son. Emo and angsty teenage characters are also not my cup of tea, they are usually generic with bad characterization and little to no decent character development, I simply can't relate to them or care and empathize with them.

09-02-13, 1:58 AM

tsudman said:
But when you have other emo characters that are exccesive with their annoying emotions ( they just have to remind you in every episode how ''miserable and sad'' their life is, just constant whining) and they are never developed properly, it's no wonder people dislike them.
Like who specifically?

09-02-13, 2:01 AM

Red_Keys said:
tsudman said:
But when you have other emo characters that are exccesive with their annoying emotions ( they just have to remind you in every episode how ''miserable and sad'' their life is, just constant whining) and they are never developed properly, it's no wonder people dislike them.
Like who specifically?

Shinji from NGE, Renton from Eureka Seven, Yuki in first half of Mirai Nikki, (insert every second teenager that faces problems here).

I came up with 3 of the top of my head and I am bad with remembering characters...

09-02-13, 2:03 AM

Shinji (Evangelion)- Even though hes a great character (very human, very vulnerable) you can't deny he reacts in a very feminine way.

Tomoya(Clannad)- same as above, I wouldn't say hes as interesting though.

Satoshi (NHK)- Same as above, this makes for a more relatable character though and works better considering the genre.

I think I might have mistepped when I said this is the mindset of most male characters, because the ones I'm thinking of are all from shonen and they're obviously much more direct for the sake of simplicity. As for romcom SoL shows, the male chars are not usually put in situations where they would have to respond to their emotions and can just be happy all the time. My points for aesthetics still stand though =/
Modified by battosai-01, 09-02-13, 2:07 AM

09-02-13, 2:04 AM

baki502 said:
Red_Keys said:
tsudman said:
Like who specifically?

Shinji from NGE, Yuki in first half of Mirai Nikki, (insert every second teenager that faces problems here).

I came up with 3 of the top of my head and I am bad with remembering characters...
And those are horrible examples (Never seen Eureka Seven), because they experience incredibly traumatic events.

Sorry, but evading murder and having expectations of unfair and monstrous proportion put onto you ≠ "normal problems teenagers face".

09-02-13, 2:05 AM

Red_Keys said:
tsudman said:
Like who specifically?

Shu, Renton, Yuki, Shinji and other Shinji clones. I guess compared to the others, Renton had decent development but that doesn't say much.

09-02-13, 2:06 AM

tsudman said:
Red_Keys said:
tsudman said:
Like who specifically?

Shu, Renton, Yuki, Shinji and other Shinji clones. I guess compared to the others, Renton had decent development but that doesn't say much.
How many terrorist organizations have you been forced to become the main pawn of?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices