MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Atheism in anime
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Atheism in anime

Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
08-30-13, 9:30 AM

Is it just me or other people have noticed that recently a lot of anime tend to portray that there is no god and usually the main characters coolly deny god and say that they will destroy god .this really came to me as i was watching high school dxd and clearly in the anime they say that there are 3 factions : God , fallen angels and demons .

Moderator Edit: Please use spoiler tags if you are going to talk about certain anime scenes
Modified by Suzune-chan, 08-30-13, 5:35 PM

08-30-13, 9:31 AM

They're just speaking the truth,there is no God that's that

08-30-13, 9:34 AM

Japan doesn't have the same religious bullshit you are used to in the West.
Davido-kun is my animal spirit.

08-30-13, 9:36 AM

And it matters because?

08-30-13, 9:46 AM

I can't believe somebody took this topic into discussion.
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

"Please don't give up the game"
-Clive Tyldesley, as Zinedine Zidane roulettes pass Gilberto Silva, Brazil v France, 2006

08-30-13, 9:47 AM

As I understand it, Japan isn't really that religious.

Or maybe you're just watching stuff where people have a need to shout "WELL. I FOR ONE DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD".
Want to talk?
A beloved yet faithless waifu to MellyJelly

“One sees clearly only with the heart.
The essential is invisible to the eyes.”
*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*

08-30-13, 9:48 AM

There's no god so i don't give a damn flying fuck.

Btw if atheism bugs you there you go http://myanimelist.net/anime/15775/Saint%E2%98%86Onii-san jesus and buda in one.
Modified by Mirati, 08-30-13, 9:52 AM
The Heart
Signature Background Created By Tite Kubo
All right reserved

08-30-13, 9:49 AM

Ed professes atheism?What the fuck??

08-30-13, 9:49 AM

> A lot of anime
> gives two examples
> one is about a demon, other is about a scientist
> lolwut?

08-30-13, 9:54 AM

I like the angel beats explanation...who was that guy with the computers anyway?

08-30-13, 9:55 AM

renders said:
I like the angel beats explanation...who was that guy with the computers anyway?

Some random guy that the script writer threw in because "who the fuck cares? I'll put in some teary story and they should be happy with that".

08-30-13, 9:57 AM

renders said:

SSJ Master

08-30-13, 10:01 AM

Slayermaster said:
As I understand it, Japan isn't really that religious.

Really? I'd rather call it the contrary. The amount of prayer, tradition and superstitions that are often portrayed in anime is quite absurdly high. According to that, it seems their pantheistic beliefs are very rooted in their culture and daily lives.

On atheist anime characters, not that I know what the hell are we discussing here, but Zoro is one of them.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

08-30-13, 10:02 AM

Athiest Characters are the best IMO.
FluffyFlesh said:
Maaaaaaaaaan , after so many episodes of OreImo I feel like I'd like to fuck my sister.

08-30-13, 10:08 AM

Koutsuna_sama said:
Is it just me or other people have noticed that recently a lot of anime tend to portray that there is no god and usually the main characters coolly deny god and say that they will destroy god .this really came to me as i was watching high school dxd and clearly in the anime they say that there are 3 factions : God , fallen angels and demons . still i think in ep 4 when kiba sees his friends who died in the experiments by the church they say that they are happy even though there is no god .. INTERESTINGLY THEY SAY in the very next ep that god had died a few years ago and that archangel michael is doing his job ... also fullmetal alchemist has ed going around professing atheism to the rest of the world and religious people (cornello incident) are shown so often to be fooled . What do you guys think?/

Fullmetal Alchemist had that deal where ED would go professing atheism, yes, but the interesting part is that when he is trying to do an alchemy, he will stick hes hands together, like if he was praying. The character on FMA even commented the same thing, "It looks like those alchemists are praying to God, waiting for a miracle".

I would not say the anime is promoting atheism, I would say it is the opposite. Remember that the "guy", you know who I am talking about, the guy inside the other dimension and shit, he said he was everything, including God. This is obviously a blasphemy, but I wouldn't say this is atheism as well.

On the best option, FMA has , at the very least, a particular religion that does not exist on our world.

08-30-13, 10:12 AM

Atheism is a thing of simple, less educated people and most anime is an undemanding entertainment aimed at such viewers, so you can't be surprised they overuse the dumbest tropes in existence. It's the same as with tsundere, flat-chested characters or looser getting all the girls for no reason. It just sells to dumb masses. Well, this is one of reasons but this forum is not really a place to discuss more. You can see it from previous responses.
Ii tenki desu ne...

08-30-13, 10:15 AM

Antanaru said:
Atheism is a thing of simple, less educated people and most anime is an undemanding entertainment aimed at such viewers, so you can't be surprised they overuse the dumbest tropes in existence. It's the same as with tsundere, flat-chested characters or looser getting all the girls for no reason. It just sells to dumb masses. Well, this is one of reasons but this forum is not really a place to discuss more. You can see it from previous responses.

Basically this.

As atheists are in constant war against theists, anime will simply give them some atheists characters, and will give theists some characters praying to escape an sticky situation. I do not agree with that, I think anime should not share any religion with the watchers, but well

08-30-13, 10:18 AM

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus [341–270 B.C.]

Problem solved.

08-30-13, 10:18 AM

Atheism is a thing of simple, less educated people

This is probably the bigger bullshit i read in my entire life
The Heart
Signature Background Created By Tite Kubo
All right reserved

08-30-13, 10:19 AM

Japan doesn't give a shit about silly theists or atheist in the west.
Please learn about their culture and religious views first.

Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices