MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Atheism in anime
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Atheism in anime

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
#1
08-30-13, 9:30 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 39
Is it just me or other people have noticed that recently a lot of anime tend to portray that there is no god and usually the main characters coolly deny god and say that they will destroy god .this really came to me as i was watching high school dxd and clearly in the anime they say that there are 3 factions : God , fallen angels and demons .


Moderator Edit: Please use spoiler tags if you are going to talk about certain anime scenes
Modified by Suzune-chan, 08-30-13, 5:35 PM
 
#2
08-30-13, 9:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 4250
They're just speaking the truth,there is no God that's that
 
#3
08-30-13, 9:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 2828
Japan doesn't have the same religious bullshit you are used to in the West.
 
#4
08-30-13, 9:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4603
And it matters because?
 
#5
08-30-13, 9:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 545
I can't believe somebody took this topic into discussion.
Gutalala ~~ sudalala


"Please don't give up the game"
-Clive Tyldesley, as Zinedine Zidane roulettes pass Gilberto Silva, Brazil v France, 2006
 
#6
08-30-13, 9:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 3877
As I understand it, Japan isn't really that religious.

Or maybe you're just watching stuff where people have a need to shout "WELL. I FOR ONE DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD".
Want to talk? (Or ask?)
Club!

"And if you're still breathing, you're the lucky ones.
'Cause most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs.
Setting fire to our insides for fun
Collecting names of the lovers that went wrong"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
 
#7
08-30-13, 9:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 340
There's no god so i don't give a damn flying fuck.

Btw if atheism bugs you there you go http://myanimelist.net/anime/15775/Saint%E2%98%86Onii-san jesus and buda in one.
Modified by Mirati, 08-30-13, 9:52 AM
The Heart
Signature Background Created By Tite Kubo
All right reserved

 
#8
08-30-13, 9:49 AM

Online
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 457
Ed professes atheism?What the fuck??
 
#9
08-30-13, 9:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8828
> A lot of anime
> gives two examples
> one is about a demon, other is about a scientist
> lolwut?
 
08-30-13, 9:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 4250
I like the angel beats explanation...who was that guy with the computers anyway?
 
08-30-13, 9:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8828
renders said:
I like the angel beats explanation...who was that guy with the computers anyway?


Some random guy that the script writer threw in because "who the fuck cares? I'll put in some teary story and they should be happy with that".
 
08-30-13, 9:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 2828
renders said:
I like the angel beats explanation...who was that guy with the computers anyway?

SSJ Master
 
08-30-13, 10:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5524
Slayermaster said:
As I understand it, Japan isn't really that religious.

Really? I'd rather call it the contrary. The amount of prayer, tradition and superstitions that are often portrayed in anime is quite absurdly high. According to that, it seems their pantheistic beliefs are very rooted in their culture and daily lives.

On atheist anime characters, not that I know what the hell are we discussing here, but Zoro is one of them.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.
 
08-30-13, 10:02 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3215
Athiest Characters are the best IMO.
JD2411 said:
of course not. women would rather date assholes than nice, shy guys. and they wonder why they get raped?
 
08-30-13, 10:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 9971
Koutsuna_sama said:
Is it just me or other people have noticed that recently a lot of anime tend to portray that there is no god and usually the main characters coolly deny god and say that they will destroy god .this really came to me as i was watching high school dxd and clearly in the anime they say that there are 3 factions : God , fallen angels and demons . still i think in ep 4 when kiba sees his friends who died in the experiments by the church they say that they are happy even though there is no god .. INTERESTINGLY THEY SAY in the very next ep that god had died a few years ago and that archangel michael is doing his job ... also fullmetal alchemist has ed going around professing atheism to the rest of the world and religious people (cornello incident) are shown so often to be fooled . What do you guys think?/


Fullmetal Alchemist had that deal where ED would go professing atheism, yes, but the interesting part is that when he is trying to do an alchemy, he will stick hes hands together, like if he was praying. The character on FMA even commented the same thing, "It looks like those alchemists are praying to God, waiting for a miracle".

I would not say the anime is promoting atheism, I would say it is the opposite. Remember that the "guy", you know who I am talking about, the guy inside the other dimension and shit, he said he was everything, including God. This is obviously a blasphemy, but I wouldn't say this is atheism as well.

On the best option, FMA has , at the very least, a particular religion that does not exist on our world.
 
08-30-13, 10:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3208
Atheism is a thing of simple, less educated people and most anime is an undemanding entertainment aimed at such viewers, so you can't be surprised they overuse the dumbest tropes in existence. It's the same as with tsundere, flat-chested characters or looser getting all the girls for no reason. It just sells to dumb masses. Well, this is one of reasons but this forum is not really a place to discuss more. You can see it from previous responses.
Ii tenki desu ne...
 
08-30-13, 10:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 9971
Antanaru said:
Atheism is a thing of simple, less educated people and most anime is an undemanding entertainment aimed at such viewers, so you can't be surprised they overuse the dumbest tropes in existence. It's the same as with tsundere, flat-chested characters or looser getting all the girls for no reason. It just sells to dumb masses. Well, this is one of reasons but this forum is not really a place to discuss more. You can see it from previous responses.


Basically this.

As atheists are in constant war against theists, anime will simply give them some atheists characters, and will give theists some characters praying to escape an sticky situation. I do not agree with that, I think anime should not share any religion with the watchers, but well
 
08-30-13, 10:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 1703
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus [341–270 B.C.]

Problem solved.
 
08-30-13, 10:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 340
Atheism is a thing of simple, less educated people


This is probably the bigger bullshit i read in my entire life
The Heart
Signature Background Created By Tite Kubo
All right reserved

 
08-30-13, 10:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 2828
Japan doesn't give a shit about silly theists or atheist in the west.
Please learn about their culture and religious views first.
 
08-30-13, 10:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2623
A lot of anime? That's probably an overestimation
 
08-30-13, 10:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 4250
See Lupadim here is the perfect example of a kid raised by christian fanatics,and while he's an adult,he doesn't ask himself logical questions and doesn't have his own morals...just let's himself being brainwashed and being the thing that he is today...''the lupadim lol threads''
 
08-30-13, 10:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
well as long as they dont insult other people beliefs
why care about what they do?
 
08-30-13, 10:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 4250
DeathDot said:
well as long as they dont insult other people beliefs
why care about what they do?

calling atheists uneducated people
they insult people's beliefs,f*** them
 
08-30-13, 10:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 9971
renders said:
See Lupadim here is the perfect example of a kid raised by christian fanatics,and while he's an adult,he doesn't ask himself logical questions and doesn't have his own morals...just let's himself being brainwashed and being the thing that he is today...''the lupadim lol threads''


This is an example.

You can not talk about religion without atheists insulting.
 
08-30-13, 10:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
renders said:
DeathDot said:
well as long as they dont insult other people beliefs
why care about what they do?

calling atheists uneducated people
they insult people's beliefs,f*** them

which anime did that?
 
08-30-13, 10:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 4250
lupadim said:
renders said:
See Lupadim here is the perfect example of a kid raised by christian fanatics,and while he's an adult,he doesn't ask himself logical questions and doesn't have his own morals...just let's himself being brainwashed and being the thing that he is today...''the lupadim lol threads''


This is an example.

You can not talk about religion without atheists insulting.

you started it
@deathdot lupadim anime
 
08-30-13, 10:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 340
Antanaru said:
Atheism is a thing of simple, less educated people and most anime is an undemanding entertainment aimed at such viewers, so you can't be surprised they overuse the dumbest tropes in existence. It's the same as with tsundere, flat-chested characters or looser getting all the girls for no reason. It just sells to dumb masses. Well, this is one of reasons but this forum is not really a place to discuss more. You can see it from previous responses.
The Heart
Signature Background Created By Tite Kubo
All right reserved

 
08-30-13, 10:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 307
Weeee! A pointless god thread, I'm sure this will go places.
 
08-30-13, 10:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8828
fackifiknow said:
Weeee! A pointless god thread, I'm sure this will go places.


Look above you.
 
08-30-13, 10:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 307
yhunata said:
fackifiknow said:
Weeee! A pointless god thread, I'm sure this will go places.


Look above you.


Yep, looks like a ceiling to me.
 
08-30-13, 10:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8828
fackifiknow said:
yhunata said:
fackifiknow said:
Weeee! A pointless god thread, I'm sure this will go places.


Look above you.


Yep, looks like a ceiling to me.


Seriously, I thought you were under a bridge.
 
08-30-13, 10:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 307
yhunata said:
fackifiknow said:
yhunata said:
fackifiknow said:
Weeee! A pointless god thread, I'm sure this will go places.


Look above you.


Yep, looks like a ceiling to me.


Seriously, I thought you were under a bridge.

If bridges had outlets and wifi I'd be all for it
 
08-30-13, 10:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8828
fackifiknow said:
yhunata said:
fackifiknow said:
yhunata said:
fackifiknow said:
Weeee! A pointless god thread, I'm sure this will go places.


Look above you.


Yep, looks like a ceiling to me.


Seriously, I thought you were under a bridge.

If bridges had outlets and wifi I'd be all for it


What about privacy?

P.S. I think that's enough derailing for now.

OT; it's just your head playing tricks with you. People often see only what they want to see, you see?
 
08-30-13, 10:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 545
This thread is gonna be another "Atheists vs. Religious" crap you find everyday on YouTube.
Gutalala ~~ sudalala


"Please don't give up the game"
-Clive Tyldesley, as Zinedine Zidane roulettes pass Gilberto Silva, Brazil v France, 2006
 
08-30-13, 10:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 364
lupadim said:

He does not mean if you are not theist you are less educated. He means there are some atheists which are constantly bashing theists. Sometimes, you can't even speak the word "God" without a wave of 50 atheists screaming" OMFG BUT HE DOES NOT EXIST SHUT UP STUPID ASSHOLE DONT SAY THAT WORD AGAIN I AM AFRAID OF IT". happy.

god
 
08-30-13, 10:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 307
yhunata said:


What about privacy?

P.S. I think that's enough derailing for now.

OT; it's just your head playing tricks with you. People often see only what they want to see, you see?
What privacy? The government spies on me all the time.



OT- There are maybe one or two older anime I can think of that deal with the idea of no god or killing god, but what's it matter? There are plenty of other fictional works that deal with this subject.
 
08-30-13, 11:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 898
I'm sure it's already been mentioned in this thread but it bears repeating anyway: Atheism is a complete lack of belief in a deity. By saying that you plan to destroy God, you pretty much acknowledge that you believe in its existence.

That said... No, I haven't noticed this trend. Mind you, I might watch different shows than OP does.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
 
08-30-13, 11:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 8035
renders said:
See Lupadim here is the perfect example of a kid raised by christian fanatics,and while he's an adult,he doesn't ask himself logical questions and doesn't have his own morals...just let's himself being brainwashed and being the thing that he is today...''the lupadim lol threads''
Lupadim is correct many atheists verbally attack theists especially Christians just for believing in a higher power. If you believe in God atheists generally say you are illogical, uneducated, ignorant about Science, believe in fairy tales, believe in an old man in the sky etc. Atheists have this air of superiority about them as if theists are inferior and less educated than them.
 
08-30-13, 11:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 307
I've never understood how the christian god is serious business, but ancient greek and roman gods/goddesses are not taken seriously.
 
08-30-13, 11:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 4250
DrGeroCreation said:
renders said:
See Lupadim here is the perfect example of a kid raised by christian fanatics,and while he's an adult,he doesn't ask himself logical questions and doesn't have his own morals...just let's himself being brainwashed and being the thing that he is today...''the lupadim lol threads''
Lupadim is correct many atheists verbally attack theists especially Christians just for believing in a higher power. If you believe in God atheists generally say you are illogical, uneducated, ignorant about Science, believe in fairy tales, believe in an old man in the sky etc. Atheists have this air of superiority about them as if theists are inferior and less educated than them.

Why can't the christians and atheists just mind their own business?Just do whatever the hell you want but keep it to yourself and those who share your interests and beliefs
 
08-30-13, 11:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 8828
renders said:
DrGeroCreation said:
renders said:
See Lupadim here is the perfect example of a kid raised by christian fanatics,and while he's an adult,he doesn't ask himself logical questions and doesn't have his own morals...just let's himself being brainwashed and being the thing that he is today...''the lupadim lol threads''
Lupadim is correct many atheists verbally attack theists especially Christians just for believing in a higher power. If you believe in God atheists generally say you are illogical, uneducated, ignorant about Science, believe in fairy tales, believe in an old man in the sky etc. Atheists have this air of superiority about them as if theists are inferior and less educated than them.

Why can't the christians and atheists just mind their own business?Just do whatever the hell you want but keep it to yourself and those who share your interests and beliefs


Pretty much this, though from what I've seen, athiests attack more than thiests. Well, I just ignore them, but not everyone has my patience.
 
08-30-13, 11:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 4952
I dont know wheter atheist or theists are right due to lack of proof on both sides, but I damn well know that atheism Is boring as hell. I mean honestly you got all the greek and nor gods and the whole demons and angels lore with religion and all atheists have are some extremely boring science theories. And dont even try to say its a known fact what happened 4 gadzillion years ago.
 
08-30-13, 11:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 877
We have Haruhi, don't we?
Lolis > Everything
 
08-30-13, 11:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 8035
fackifiknow said:
I've never understood how the christian god is serious business, but ancient greek and roman gods/goddesses are not taken seriously.
The ancient Greeks and Romans abandoned their Gods and switched to Christianity. The promotion of Christianity by the former European powers worldwide during the early modern period (15th century onwards) allowed Christianity to become one of the most dominant and widely accepted religions worldwide.
renders said:
Why can't the christians and atheists just mind their own business?Just do whatever the hell you want but keep it to yourself and those who share your interests and beliefs
I completely agree believe in whatever you want to believe in but don't bash other people because of their beliefs.
Modified by DrGeroCreation, 08-30-13, 11:42 AM
 
08-30-13, 11:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 307
baki502 said:
I dont know wheter atheist or theists are right due to lack of proof on both sides, but I damn well know that atheism Is boring as hell. I mean honestly you got all the greek and nor gods and the whole demons and angels lore with religion and all atheists have are some extremely boring science theories. And dont even try to say its a known fact what happened 4 gadzillion years ago.
I'm gonna go ahead and say "that post gave me cancer"... Maybe the internet will be better later tonight.
 
08-30-13, 11:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 307
DrGeroCreation said:
fackifiknow said:
I've never understood how the christian god is serious business, but ancient greek and roman gods/goddesses are not taken seriously.
The ancient Greeks and Romans abandoned their Gods and switched to Christianity. The promotion of Christianity by the former European powers worldwide during the early modern period (15th century onwards) allowed Christianity to become one of the most dominant and widely accepted religions worldwide.
christianity was named the official religion of rome by penalty of death.
 
08-30-13, 11:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 4952
fackifiknow said:
baki502 said:
I dont know wheter atheist or theists are right due to lack of proof on both sides, but I damn well know that atheism Is boring as hell. I mean honestly you got all the greek and nor gods and the whole demons and angels lore with religion and all atheists have are some extremely boring science theories. And dont even try to say its a known fact what happened 4 gadzillion years ago.
I'm gonna go ahead and say "that post gave me cancer"... Maybe the internet will be better later tonight.
Have fun with cancer then I am way better off here not caring about other peoples opinion and not getting cancer. And I just said I find gods more interesting and appealing then science theories. Which does not mean I disregard science nor that I am an avid believer of gods. Its just that science is kinda boring sometimes.
 
08-30-13, 12:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 8035
fackifiknow said:
DrGeroCreation said:
fackifiknow said:
I've never understood how the christian god is serious business, but ancient greek and roman gods/goddesses are not taken seriously.
The ancient Greeks and Romans abandoned their Gods and switched to Christianity. The promotion of Christianity by the former European powers worldwide during the early modern period (15th century onwards) allowed Christianity to become one of the most dominant and widely accepted religions worldwide.
christianity was named the official religion of rome by penalty of death.
The Edict of Milan developed by Constantine the first Christian Roman emperor protected all religions from persecution. Before Constantine's rise to power Christians were the ones persecuted .
 
08-30-13, 12:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 9077
DrGeroCreation said:
I completely agree believe in whatever you want to believe in but don't bash other people because of their beliefs.


^This.
 
Top
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Advertising     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy