MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 17 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae »» Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 17 Discussion

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
View Poll Results: Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 17 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

29 54.72%
4 out of 5: Liked it

13 24.53%
3 out of 5: It was OK

7 13.21%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

4 7.55%
1 out of 5: Hated it

0.00%
Voters: 53

02-01-09, 11:41 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is without a doubt, one of the best Mitsuganae episodes out there. We get to explore Yamawaro's past in this episode, and his past is probably the most intriguing out of all of Enma Ai's gang's past (excluding Ai's of course). This is a pretty sad episode, too. I feel bad for Yamawaro.

I never really liked Kikuri, but this episode made me like her better. I'm not exactly sure why, but maybe it's because it showed that Kikuri isn't always evil and bratty and that she can be cute in a sort of bratty way >.<

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.

02-02-09, 6:34 AM

hmm i have to disagree big time here with u, man. i only gave this 3 out of 5 becoz at least they give us a story about the new Hell Club member.

however, it was a big mistake imo to add another mysterious being.. i mean, wat the hell is he, actually??? mountain straw? straw demon? straw angel? straw alien?? ^^; i dont know.. the point is, the only mystery i need in this series is Enma Ai.

i was expecting a more touching episode than this, and a more creative storyline.. but unfortunately they have failed me. and the trend of skipping the Jigoku Nagashi (Hell Sending) is getting on my nerves.. i wanted to see the old man suffer with the fungus eating him up and beg ai for help. XD

02-02-09, 11:10 AM

You didn't enjoy any of the past stories of other Jigoku Shoujo members? I really liked it, because it explained Yamawaro's past, hence character development. It really annoys me in drama-like shows where they don't explain each main character's past/personalities enough, so this episode is very refreshing to me.

I thought it was quite touching, actually. Yamawaro learned what it was like to have a family, what it was like to call a woman his "mother", only in the end, to part with her because she lost her sanity.

I don't really think the Jigoku Nagashi is necessary for this episode, so I didn't mind skipping it. I think the look on the old man's face when he realized his wife wants nothing to do with his "eternal youth" potion right before she pulled the string was enough punishment. And frankly, I found this more enjoyable than any random episode where random people get sent to hell. This is like the Akie episode; while the formula is the same, this time, it involves people we actually care about.

02-07-09, 6:56 AM

u misunderstood me there. i said i gave this 3/5 becoz AT LEAST they gave us a story of Yamawaro. and i loved the stories about the other Ai's Servants' past too.. as u said, it contributes to character development and makes us feel closer to the main characters.

but wat i meant was really bad about the story is that ALL of the other servants(except kikuri, she isn't really a servant anyways) were perfectly normal human.(ah sorry i forgot about ichimokuren. well at least his existence is more understandable. sword spirit legends are quite common) and now we get a yamawaro who came out from a forest naked with i dont know wat on him that makes ppl scared of him.he looked like he was glowing brightly, and most probably should've been mistaken as a deity or a buddha or something.. but noooooo.. ppl are scared coz he shines brightly! he's an alien!!!! ^^;;;

about the jigoku nagashi, well ok i agree with that.. but i still want to see that man suffer for using yamawaro as a guinea pig.. and for not winning the nobel prize for creating an eternal youth potion XD
Modified by lonehunter88, 02-08-09, 3:11 AM

02-09-09, 3:31 PM

that did not make any sense at all. so the guy killed his kid in an experiment, and then used waro waro after that? did the eternal youth elixir work or was that an illusion. and the fall of the house what was with that? although she used the old school correspondence.

02-09-09, 4:12 PM

Loved, loved this episode.

It was sad though, but it was really interesting to finally see Yamawaro's past, since I also, like OP, found him the second most intriguing character.

Also agreeing with OP that my opinion of Kikuri got better after this ep.

There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection

02-09-09, 5:29 PM

kisami said:
that did not make any sense at all. so the guy killed his kid in an experiment, and then used waro waro after that? did the eternal youth elixir work or was that an illusion. and the fall of the house what was with that? although she used the old school correspondence.

For the professor, I guess you can say that. I'm not too sure, since I didn't watch it with subs. He used it on Yamawaro because Yamawaro is a spirit, not a living thing. He cannot die from the experiment, unlike all the plants and animals the professor tested on. I think the eternal youth that the wife and professor drank were not advanced enough, so they returned to their old form after awhile. The real, final product of the eternal youth potion was the one at the very end; the one that the wife refused to drank and sent the professor to hell instead.

Anyways, after thinking about this, I have to say, next to Enma Ai's back story, Yamawaro's my favorite.

02-09-09, 11:33 PM

kisami said:
All I have to say is that I don't know when or what exactly happened. Why did the lady sometime young and sometime old? If she became young again, then why did she became old again?

"A Legend is just a tale of a beautiful lie."

02-11-09, 1:40 AM

Very interesting episode. Though the whole fungi thing was pretty gross. =/

02-11-09, 5:20 PM

kisami said:

I absoulutely agree That did not make any sense. The time jumping along with almost every thing else was super confusing.

02-12-09, 11:14 AM

Finally we know Yamawaro's background, since we already know the others from the previous seasons.

Also, lol at Wanyuudou shaving his head. I always thought that his hair didn't grow. Now I want to see him in an afro xD

03-21-09, 2:09 AM

I think this ep. is some kind of tribute to japanese sci-fi horror movie. Like many of gimmicks they made in hell punishment scene (Godzilla-Ai , Western Wild , Hell Mecha, TV Game Show etc,) are tribute or parody to those things.

And this ep. seem like a tribute more than parody.Because they take it seriously (And how the Evil Mansion collapse at the end of this ep. is very like some old movie plot.) Yamawaro is now a character with emotion and not just a co-comedian of Kikuri-hime.

05-27-09, 11:15 PM

kisami said:

I'm confused too >.< but I think that he didn't kill his kid and the 'kid' she was refering to the whole time was yamawaro. The elixir part I don't get though and also why did the house fall? D=

ah oh but I liked the yamawaro back stories, eps of backstories are my fav =) I gave it a lower score cause of the fugus thing though, that was gross >.<

05-29-09, 7:47 PM

I also agree that this episode was really confusing. Not very interesting also, I mean, wwth is he? And the timeline shit also confused me, like when did Enma Ai meet Yamawaro? I didn't like this episode really, why do they always play these backround episodes later on and not in the beginning, Yamawaro should have been more properly introduced in episode 1. Poor ass story.

09-28-09, 3:05 PM

Yes, this episode was confusing indeed.

I didn't like the different time zones that happened.
So, Waro-waro isn't a human but a mushroom spirit that was living in the mountains?
That old lady used the old Jigoku Tsuushin to curse her husband. So, does that mean she was holding Yamawaro as a straw doll for a long time? She only pulled it in the very end though.

And wtf, what was that hurricane thing that sucked their mansion in the end?
Very confuisng. =\

01-25-10, 2:24 PM

this was so interesting but... SO confusing XP well i got the basic plot but y were they old then young DX i no it was goin past present and all but... did she really have him 4 that long...??? eh so confusing but seeing waro-waro 4 a whole epi made me SO HAPPY X3

02-20-11, 4:38 AM

Quite confusing. :S
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~

07-09-11, 3:30 PM

It feels like they randomly jammed several things into this episode, that cannot be explained logically. So Yamawaro is some sort of mountain fairy or spirit that can take physical form. The old lady is sometimes old, sometimes young, but when she contacted Jigoku Tsuchin, internet/cell phones didn't exist yet. Does that mean that she contacted Ai much before the first season? Maybe that explains why Yamawaro wasn't in first or second season. He could've been kept with the old lady until only recently.

The house sank at the end because of the marsh surrounding it. But why would it suddenly start to sink just because the man was ferried away?

08-12-11, 6:49 PM

I didn't like this episode and I'm not gonna comment on it, if I change my mind I'll edit my post or smth...

08-23-11, 8:26 PM

This story was good and all but not touching enough I will say :/
But I really like him as a character.
Kikuri is just annoying T.T
I like how they're finally going to what this is all about.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices