Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 25, 2007 5:26 PM

Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Brilliant, Timcampy FTW.

You got to feel sorry for Suman, poor guy.

Oct 25, 2007 5:28 PM

Nov 2006
edge_666 said:

Brilliant, Timcampy FTW.

i agreed poor suman awesome episode cant wait for the next one

Oct 25, 2007 6:01 PM

Apr 2007
Tyki :D
Oct 25, 2007 7:48 PM

Oct 2007
edge_666 said:

Brilliant, Timcampy FTW.

Tim owns. I can feel sorry for Suman a bit, too. Good episode, and did anyone else catch the variety of background music we had? I liked how they ended it too. Tyki owns as well. XD
Oct 25, 2007 9:04 PM

Mar 2007
Now THIS is why I kept whinging about getting back to the manga.

Awesome episode.

Oct 25, 2007 9:58 PM
Sep 2007
That was awesome, its just getting darker. I didn't think he would wipe out the whole village, was thinking Allen would stop him. But I was so wrong 0.0, but its just getting more awesome each week!
Hi
Oct 26, 2007 4:58 AM

Jun 2007
<333 *cuddles timcampi*
cant wait for next ep, Tyki is 1 of my favs so...
Oct 26, 2007 4:33 PM

Jun 2007
Damn, I thought he was saved, I liked Suman. Poor Jennie! Next episode looks just as good. Tyki that bastard, still like him too.

Oct 26, 2007 5:44 PM

Mar 2007
How can you like Suman? He had no character development, all we knew about him was that he was an exorcist, had a daughter, was horrible at chess and was a traitor.

Oct 26, 2007 6:50 PM

Jun 2007
He cared about his family, he was a caring father and put that above being an exorcist. He cared more about his daughter than the Black Order that took him away from her. Seeing Jennie made it all the more worse that he died.

What does character development have anything to do with liking a character? You can like a character in the first episode they're in.

Also, it would have been better for him to live and atone for his sins. You can't atone or redeem yourself if your dead.

Oct 26, 2007 7:05 PM

Aug 2007
Legion17 said:

Also, it would have been better for him to live and atone for his sins. You can't atone or redeem yourself if your dead.

He had commited a sin directly against God by making a deal with the Devil. He even says himself that he has commited a sin that you cannot atone for, I asume he means while living, so I guess he can only be punished. Perhaps his attonement was a grusome death. After all when the Fallen One attacks it resembles a crucifix, add the halo and you get the ultimate act of attonment from the bible.
_edge_Oct 26, 2007 7:08 PM

Oct 26, 2007 9:16 PM

Mar 2007
Legion17 said:
He cared about his family, he was a caring father and put that above being an exorcist.

Wouldn't that mean giving up being an exorcist to spend time with his family, though? The way it had Jennie at the end made it seem like he hadn't seen her for a few years, atleast.

What does character development have anything to do with liking a character? You can like a character in the first episode they're in.

Good point. But I feel that's something that makes a character loveable, their backstory and their further development through it.

Each to this own, though.

Oct 26, 2007 9:37 PM

Nov 2006
I love Tim's slap <3

And I feel bad for Suman, but not to the point where I'd cry over his death. To be honest, when I was first reading the manga, I was wondering who the hell Suman WAS when he became a Fallen One. He hadn't appeared nearly enough to make a very strong impact with his death, though it did make one just because of the hugeness of it. If it had been even someone like Komui's assistants (yes I know they're not exorcists) then yeah, I might have teared up. I admit to tearing up when Johnny was in shock over losing Suman :<

So I guess what I'm saying is, it was sad but I'm not going to be thinking about it for days like with more important characters. I'm in the middle I guess?

The first part of the next ep is going to be epic.
Oct 26, 2007 10:53 PM

Mar 2007
windy said:
I love Tim's slap <3

When his arm first appeared my reaction was "...What!? No one has arms that short and stubby...Oh wait, it's Timcanpy." His arms make me laugh.

And I feel bad for Suman, but not to the point where I'd cry over his death. To be honest, when I was first reading the manga, I was wondering who the hell Suman WAS when he became a Fallen One.

I actually got confused in the manga, I got the character Lenalee remembers being tested on and Suman mixed up, thinking they were the same person or...something. They really didn't introduce Suman properly, I guess they went about it the right way in the anime, for once.

Oct 26, 2007 11:09 PM

Jun 2007
Viral said:
Wouldn't that mean giving up being an exorcist to spend time with his family, though? The way it had Jennie at the end made it seem like he hadn't seen her for a few years, atleast.
From the way I see it, the Black Order are kind of a bunch of douchebags. They forced him to join the Order, they tied up Lenalee so she couldn't escape, perform dangerous experiments on people, I doubt they would've let him quit being an exorcist for any amount of time. Sure, its all for the greater good and I root for them but it doesn't change them from being any less meaner.

edge_666 said:
He had committed a sin directly against God by making a deal with the Devil. He even says himself that he has committed a sin that you cannot atone for, I assume he means while living, so I guess he can only be punished. Perhaps his atonement was a gruesome death. After all when the Fallen One attacks it resembles a crucifix, add the halo and you get the ultimate act of atonement from the bible.
I wouldn't take his authority on what sins can be atoned for especially since Allen tried to save him anyways. Even Lenalee who knew about all the dead he caused still wanted him to live. Allen eventually did save him from divine punishment albeit in vain because of Tyki. Btw Christ came back after 3 days, I don't think anyone should atone by dying unless they plan on coming back to life.
Legion17Oct 26, 2007 11:18 PM

Oct 26, 2007 11:44 PM

Aug 2007
Isn't he dead when Allen pulls him out though? Given his body is still intact, but his mind/soul is no longer there.
I don't think Allen really saved him ( could you save someone from God?) Tyki just takes away any hope Allen had left that there might be a way to bring Suman back.

Oct 26, 2007 11:56 PM

Mar 2007
Basically, his soul ended up dying in the end. What Allen saved was just an empty shell that was eventually devoured by the Tease.

Oct 27, 2007 11:38 AM

Jun 2007
I really loved this episode, it's just becoming darker and darker! Also I love Timcanpy!!! I felt really sorry for Suman because he couldn't really be saved and I felt sorry for Allen because he tried so hard to save Suman........and I felt pain for his arm! Each episode is becoming better! Can't wait for the next one!
Oct 27, 2007 6:22 PM

Mar 2007
Legion17 said:
Viral said:
From the way I see it, the Black Order are kind of a bunch of douchebags. They forced him to join the Order, they tied up Lenalee so she couldn't escape, perform dangerous experiments on people, I doubt they would've let him quit being an exorcist for any amount of time. Sure, its all for the greater good and I root for them but it doesn't change them from being any less meaner.

True. Although, I doubt that any of that happens anymore, with Komui in charge.

Oct 30, 2007 3:25 PM

Oct 2007
edge_666 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Brilliant, Timcampy FTW.

Great episode and timcampy was great ^.^ nearly biting Allen's head off XD

looking forward to the next episode!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2007 5:35 PM

May 2007
The musical score really brought this episode alive.

Finally, fillers are done for and now this is where things start to pick up. Can't wait to see the manga animated further.
Nov 5, 2007 11:38 AM

May 2007
Jan 12, 2008 9:32 PM

Jan 2008
Very emotional episode.
Aug 13, 2008 7:30 AM
Apr 2008
Just when it gets good my friend drags me off to play maplestory. >.< now I have to wait, like, two hours to find out what happens next. *impatient* and it was just getting good as well.
Aug 19, 2008 7:57 AM

Mar 2008
wow. Episodes like that are why I love D. Gray-Man! though I feel really sorry for Allen - who hasn't had a mention on this thread yet XD - I really thought he'd saved him at the end T_T And jeez did he fight through a lot of pain - "neither of my arms are working so bite me and I'll pull you out that way"

Though I was wondering whether Lenalee was going to come back after saving the kid, seeing as she said she would
Sep 13, 2008 5:29 PM
Aug 2008
-Chrissi-chan- said:
And jeez did he fight through a lot of pain - "neither of my arms are working so bite me and I'll pull you out that way"

A practical action hero would have tied up his right hand first, then had Suman bite on a piece of his coat. Allen just has to blur the line of Christ symbolism and Tyr/Fenris symbolism.

Then again, the Black Order doesn't seem to be marked by rational practicality. The exorcists don't appear to have much standardized training, strategic doctrine, regulated conduct, etc. as a 19th-century military or monastic order would have had. Apparently they are trained to raise their synchro rate and kicked out the door.

As mentioned, though, they aren't short of good old fashioned cruelty, like tying children to beds because their powers are necessary.
Nov 5, 2008 9:59 AM

Apr 2008
havent commented on this series .... i was on the fence about to drop it cause it seemed kinda cheesy, but the story is finally getting better. hopefully the pace will pick up abit

Nov 8, 2008 8:14 AM

Aug 2008
^I was the same way, the fillers made we want to bury this series, but ep53 & afterwars so rar, have made me realize what I like about it in the first place.

Poor, poor Allen. Watching him has just been torture these last few eps...
Nov 20, 2009 5:06 PM

Aug 2007
wow this episode pissed me off even more than the last one. the guy is a mass murderer. he killed 1000s of innocents in this episode who had family just like he did. what makes him any better than them that his life is worth more than the 1000s he killed? allen didn't seem to mind that the others died at all but was only focused on saving the guy who killed them. it's not like suman is innocent, he made a terrible decision that led to this. he is accountable for his actions.

if this happened in real life, say a man was drafted into the army and sold information to the enemy to spare his own life and kill 100s of his fellow soldiers and then was fed a drug that caused him to become a mass murderer who blew up 1000s of innocents i doubt anyone here would still feel sorry for the guy because he had a family he wanted to see... instead, everyone would be calling for his head.

seriously, why did allen choose to save the killer over the innocents instead of stopping the killer and saving the innocents? that is the antithesis of a hero. sometimes i just don't understand people and how they can support things like this...
Jan 15, 2010 2:21 PM

Jan 2009
Allen really doesn't know when to give up, does he ?... When he said 'activate' I knew this time he's gonna screw up that hand of his for good...
I've been wondering for a while now why doesn't anything ever come out right to Allen. He tries and tries and gets terribly hurt in the process but right now I can honestly say I don't remember ANY person he's saved. And it's probably because he unconsciously sides with the 'evil' [so I don't say 'devil']. Kanda told him in the first eps that his desire to save everyone will get him killed; and I'd wish DGM was more than the story about how miserably Allen can fall because of this. I'd like to see him go up for once instead of constantly going down...
Didn't find Suman someone to feel sorry about. I guess I didn't liked him that much from the start, but I would have wanted him to live [for Allen's sake...]

Jan 23, 2010 11:37 AM

Dec 2008
windy said:
I love Tim's slap <3

I admit to tearing up when Johnny was in shock over losing Suman :<.

I love Tim period, he's just so awesome ^.^

Yup i was sad for Johnny too, but that was a complete waste of time if he was gonna die after he was saved.

I also like Tykis butterflies or tease

kaylee130Jan 28, 2010 4:15 PM

Jan 28, 2010 1:18 PM

Sep 2008
That was such an amazing episode... So intense, but good stuff.

Timcampy is indeed awesome.

The scene where Suman turned into a bunch of Tyki's butterflies was really well done. Obviously, the whole thing has left a huge impact on Allen... Well, it would on anyone. :|

Wonder where Lenalee went off to...
Oct 23, 2010 10:04 AM

Dec 2009
First, I can't believe I'm still into this series; and happily so! I mean, there are better stories out there, but even with them I'm usually chomping at the bit by episode 17. I've yet to get to the point -in any anime- where I've cared for character(s) like in some of my favorite novels. What is it about this anime...? I'm simply baffled.

Speaking of baffled, I think the reason Allen tried so hard with Suman is because there are so few Exorcists. It's not rational by any means as I doubt Allen would allow even one civilian to be sacrificed for his sake let alone an entire town.

Timcampy's influence has me holding out hope for a nice surprise, though. His little arm was so funny! Crazy little winged bugger, eh?

***A few hours later...***

Ohhhkay, it seems like I might have spoken too soon. I just finished watching an episode -a bit later down the line from this- & it was difficult to hold back the tears. I stand by my earlier comment for the most part, but I've been moved none-the-less. It seems like I'm more invested than I thougt. Enjoy!
TsulaaOct 23, 2010 8:00 PM
Nov 17, 2010 9:04 AM

Jun 2009
The best episode so far probably!

But Lenalee got me disappointed, wasn't she supposed to get back to Alen as she promised. Nah, instead she was just idling around.
''Even if your throne crumbles and your shiny crown turns to rust. Even if the bodies pile up endlessly. Above the bottomless piles of corpses beside you as you lay softly down I will be, until I hear the words, check mate'' Sebastian Michaelis.
Dec 28, 2010 11:05 PM

Mar 2009
Epic episode! Wtb more like it. ITs getting good.
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Oogway
Oct 18, 2011 1:04 PM

Feb 2010
FiiFO said:
edge_666 said:
Brilliant, Timcampy FTW.

Great episode and timcampy was great ^.^ nearly biting Allen's head off XD

looking forward to the next episode!

Yea lol and his little arms were just funny. didnt think he had arms.
Sheepshaman.png
Dec 29, 2011 9:56 AM

Dec 2009
Poor guy |:
alright episode
Feb 25, 2012 1:44 AM
Sep 2011
I love the scene where allen is kneeling, what's his face is behind him, and the butterflies are all around them.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MrsRoyMustang&sclick=1]
May 5, 2012 7:25 PM

Oct 2011
My GOD what a fucked up series lol. They build up characters just to die random deaths. It's way to excessive, too many red shirt characters... Kids in this series aren't even spared, everyone gets killed <.< And poor suman, tortured like hell until he becomes a vegetable, he should have lived. But, still loving it lol :D
Jan 5, 2013 7:05 AM

Jan 2012
Good job Allen, nice saving. Anyway, Timcampy was great, he's more badass that any of the exorcists.

Apr 4, 2013 12:18 AM

Feb 2011
That Noah is really malefic .
May 5, 2013 12:18 PM

May 2012
Damn what an intense episode! This sure was a great but sad episode really sad Suman had to go, I was like fuck yea there's a chance but then that ending... really sad! I do hope Allen will survive it now with that dude behind him and his broken arm ;s

Great episode I must say, lets see what's next!
Aug 4, 2013 12:38 PM
Mar 2012
Timcampy has hands?!

Lots of screaming again, was getting a bit too much, tbh.
It's getting kinda dark, ain't it?

Anyway, I think that the Black Order shouldn't blackmail people into becoming excorcists. As we have seen, it brings quite a lot of problems.
May 25, 2014 5:54 PM

Apr 2014
I loved timcanpy's lil arm.

I thought Allen would have stopped Suman before the destruction of the village, or even saved Suman due to everything he risked, I was so wrong.

Great (Depressing) episode.
Dec 25, 2014 7:48 PM

Jun 2011
Holy shit, D.Gray-man is getting really interesting!
Jul 6, 2015 8:33 PM
Jul 2015
what s the soundtrack's name when Allen "save" the fallen?
Jan 7, 2016 9:22 PM

Feb 2015
Viral said:
How can you like Suman? He had no character development, all we knew about him was that he was an exorcist, had a daughter, was horrible at chess and was a traitor.

Is it bad that I cheered when tykki killed Suman? I just didnt want Allen to believe that he can save everyone. And also Lenalee is officially the most useless character ever. Also i hope that someone reprimands her for not doing a single thing. I don't think Allen will but I hope her brother does.
ForsakenDrifterJan 7, 2016 9:56 PM
Jan 10, 2016 6:41 PM
Oct 2013
The feels in this episode. Wow D.Gray-man is getting darker and darker.
Feb 1, 2016 6:25 AM
Nov 2014
Finally this series is starting to get good after all these boring ass fillers.
Jun 11, 2016 12:04 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Lol yeah, Timcanpy's little arm was cute XD

Allen went through hell to save Suman, but in the end it was futile. It was to be expected though, how Suman really survive after becoming something like that? While Suman's action did kill many, it was still hard not feel sad for him when he came to and realized what he had done...and when Jenny said that she dreamt of her father.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 51 Discussion

ashura - Oct 5, 2007

24 by Cammell »»
Mar 23, 6:49 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 20 Discussion

kie_ - Sep 14, 2008

27 by Gouveiaa »»
Jan 10, 4:08 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 3 Discussion

andrewsch5658 - Jan 30, 2009

27 by lovefromyani »»
Jan 10, 12:43 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 2 Discussion

andrewsch5658 - Jan 30, 2009

41 by lovefromyani »»
Dec 26, 2023 1:40 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 16, 2008

83 by lovefromyani »»
Dec 25, 2023 12:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.