Forum Settings
Forums

[Update Aug 31] BBcode Disabled & Hacker Concerns

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 22, 2013 2:01 AM

Nov 2012
Selda said:
Hey, lay off. xp Selda's my real name.
Also wrong thread. I thought this was a forum game XD
Sorry Zelda
Sep 22, 2013 5:01 AM

Dec 2012
johnyjohny said:
Selda said:
Hey, lay off. xp Selda's my real name.
Also wrong thread. I thought this was a forum game XD
Sorry Zelda
That is one sexy profile pic

Sep 22, 2013 5:16 AM

Jul 2008
Selda said:
Maybe it's still disabled because the site staff is tired of having to deal with all the gore images popping up(wouldn't blame them)left and right, and they're hoping if it's off for a while the hostile user(s) will lose interest?
doubt interest would be lost considering this is year 3 already
Sep 22, 2013 1:15 PM

Nov 2010
They've been at this for three years? :/ Wuh.. I can't understand why anyone would want to do it in the first place, but for that long especially. Do we have any theories about who is doing this and why?

3 years, that's basically as long as I've had my account. But I guess I missed other attacks because I mostly just update my list and don't come every day.
Sep 22, 2013 2:23 PM

Jul 2008
Selda said:
They've been at this for three years? :/ Wuh.. I can't understand why anyone would want to do it in the first place, but for that long especially. Do we have any theories about who is doing this and why?

3 years, that's basically as long as I've had my account. But I guess I missed other attacks because I mostly just update my list and don't come every day.

the culprit is known but the reason as to why is anyones guess.yeah lol,it took the longest to put to rest during year one so the security and stuff i take it is improving which is nice but yeah..its sad it keeps happening but i don't think turning the bbcode off indefinitely with plans to put it back is gonna be any help...unless some sort of extra annoying security like needing to input a code everytime you want to post something gets implemented that its gonna deter any future happenings
Sep 22, 2013 2:41 PM

Jan 2013
When will the BBcode come back :( ?
Sep 22, 2013 2:47 PM

Jul 2008
Hazanka said:
Sep 22, 2013 2:49 PM

Jan 2013
It needs to come back soon. :c
Sep 22, 2013 3:01 PM

Aug 2012
It is pretty annoying... I didn't know about it until after I had changed my signature and now I have all this dumbass bbcode down below xD
Sep 22, 2013 4:24 PM

Jun 2013
This is annoying me... Admins... hurry up!
Sep 22, 2013 5:27 PM

Feb 2008
how much longer are BBCodes going to be disabled? we haven't had an update in almost a month on this post
Sep 22, 2013 10:20 PM

Dec 2009
Iner7ia said:
It is pretty annoying... I didn't know about it until after I had changed my signature and now I have all this dumbass bbcode down below xD

me too... look at this ugly signature of mine =___=

Sep 23, 2013 2:31 PM

Jul 2012
2-D said:
Hazanka said:

:(( <-- double chins for double sadness
Sep 24, 2013 12:53 AM

Dec 2009
Damn it! I completely forgot about the whole BBcode debacle. I just made a new signature and replaced it with my old one... in which now it won't even appear. Now I got nothing. I deserve a pat on the back for that one =___=
Sep 24, 2013 3:15 AM

Aug 2013
IndoExamurai said:
Damn it! I completely forgot about the whole BBcode debacle. I just made a new signature and replaced it with my old one... in which now it won't even appear. Now I got nothing. I deserve a pat on the back for that one =___=

Don't beat yourself up, that is a sexy image link.

<<Jelly

Hopefully they bring BBCode back soon though.
Sep 24, 2013 8:52 PM

Aug 2012
IndoExamurai said:

Story of my life (TT.TT). But nice signature.
Sep 26, 2013 3:36 AM

Mar 2012
Iner7ia said:
IndoExamurai said:

Story of my life (TT.TT). But nice signature.

I too mistakenly changed my signature without realising the implications.
Sep 27, 2013 12:15 AM

Oct 2010
Hey man its become pretty annoying , enable the signature codes now, why is that some users's signature are showing up while others are not ???
Sep 27, 2013 1:22 AM

Nov 2010
Persius said:
why is that some users's signature are showing up while others are not ???

That's because those signatures were there before the code was disabled, and they haven't updated it(and messed the code up). The same goes for blog entries, forum posts and comments made before the code went down.
Sep 27, 2013 5:03 AM

Aug 2013
It really sucks that the BBCode is disabled, but would you guys rather have a site down like before with the BBCode on? Or it disabled and we are freely able to update our lists and chat on forums? Me I'm hoping they can bring it back as soon as possible, but I'm contempt with the site being up again. Just my 2 cents.
My Candies:
Sep 27, 2013 4:19 PM

Aug 2012
Iolo said:
It really sucks that the BBCode is disabled, but would you guys rather have a site down like before with the BBCode on? Or it disabled and we are freely able to update our lists and chat on forums? Me I'm hoping they can bring it back as soon as possible, but I'm contempt with the site being up again. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think it would be that bad if they took the site down for a day to take care of whatever security issues they're having. It's not like anyone cares what the exact episodes of each anime I'm currently watching are. But still, you have a point. I just think that if the problems could be fixed quicker with the site down for a bit, I wouldn't really mind. Sites go down for maintenance all the time.
Sep 27, 2013 4:53 PM

Aug 2013
Iner7ia said:
Iolo said:

I don't think it would be that bad if they took the site down for a day to take care of whatever security issues they're having. It's not like anyone cares what the exact episodes of each anime I'm currently watching are. But still, you have a point. I just think that if the problems could be fixed quicker with the site down for a bit, I wouldn't really mind. Sites go down for maintenance all the time.

You would think that, but people were freaking out in IRC that the site was down lol. If its planned maintenance I guess it wouldn't be as bad because people could write down what episode they were on.
My Candies:
Sep 28, 2013 9:37 AM

Jan 2013
shadowtsunami said:
I wish we can have it activated for at least our blogs, but if it that much of security issue it should remain disabled for the time being until everything gets sorted out.

How much time would that take ? cause i'm looking forward for the bb code come back for blogs :)
Sep 28, 2013 1:15 PM

Apr 2012
I think everything is being done to bring back BBcodes securely. I love this site, when I first came here I just used it as a way of keeping track of what I've watched, but after a while I began to discover much more about anime through the forums. So thanks admin and mods for a great free site.... Damn I get all sentimental when I've had a few whiskeys! ^_^
Sep 29, 2013 1:01 AM

Nov 2010
is MAL still being trolled by hackers and such as to why the codes haven't been brought back?? or are there other issues now as to why they are still disabled?
Sep 29, 2013 3:39 AM

Nov 2010
^ Well, from what I've read, the only issue, or at least the main issue with it being disabled is the hacker problem. I guess they're still looking for a way to help lessen or prevent the attacks. Or they just want a break from cleaning up after the person doing it.

I wish they would update this thread soon. It's been almost a month and nothing. I think a lot of people are getting more impatient than they would otherwise because they don't seem to be keeping us informed.
Sep 29, 2013 6:03 PM

Mar 2010
Ducat_Revel said:
Are the BBcodes disabled for blogs as well?

Yes.

and....

BBC codes please?
Oct 1, 2013 2:32 AM

Nov 2010
Selda said:
^ Well, from what I've read, the only issue, or at least the main issue with it being disabled is the hacker problem. I guess they're still looking for a way to help lessen or prevent the attacks. Or they just want a break from cleaning up after the person doing it.

I wish they would update this thread soon. It's been almost a month and nothing. I think a lot of people are getting more impatient than they would otherwise because they don't seem to be keeping us informed.

any kind of update would be nice. like as to why they are still disabled or when they think they will have them working again. i know everyone is working hard and such which i am thankful for. but since there has been no update since a month ago just makes you wonder as to why?
Oct 1, 2013 3:30 PM

Oct 2012
Wow.... I honestly thought that this thread would be updated today - not only because it's been a month since it was made, but also because I posted some stuff on MAL yesterday about how we really deserve an update on what is going on with the BBCode. But no...... again, just like everyday in September, I am disappointed to find out that there is still no update. I think what angers me the most is that it seems like the admins don't really care. Perhaps they do, but if that's the case, it doesn't show.
Oct 2, 2013 12:05 AM

Jun 2011
Man, it's already been a month. What's the reason that BBCode is still disabled?
Oct 2, 2013 4:53 AM

Jun 2013
Could we get at least an update on whats currently keeping this disabled or an ETA of when it could come back up?
Oct 2, 2013 8:39 AM

Nov 2012
Froxzen said:
Could we get at least an update on whats currently keeping this disabled or an ETA of when it could come back up?
Oct 2, 2013 9:53 AM
Jun 2012
If all of us or some here were paying customers, then you could demand & complain for a faster update indeed, but this is a free site... So stop complaining...

The site is up & running now... If it's down, you all complain about that, once that issue is solved, you complain about other things. Never pleased, right?

The fact remains, we are not paying for their services, but they are working their **** off though.
Oct 2, 2013 9:58 AM
Aug 2011
MagicalCloud said:
If all of us or some here were paying customers, then you could demand & complain for a faster update indeed, but this is a free site... So stop complaining...

The site is up & running now... If it's down, you all complain about that, once that issue is solved, you complain about other things. Never pleased, right?

The fact remains, we are not paying for their services, but they are working their **** off though.

That is a wrong logic. They promise service with asking no money in return. A promise for service is the same whether there is money in the end or not. The only thing they ask is to follow the rules. That is what professionality requires. However, the current situation has nothing to do with the "service promise" they make.

So, stop pointing out such irrelevant and wrong reasons. Demands are important for these kinds of sites.
Oct 2, 2013 1:13 PM

Jun 2008
usaking said:
Wow.... I honestly thought that this thread would be updated today - not only because it's been a month since it was made, but also because I posted some stuff on MAL yesterday about how we really deserve an update on what is going on with the BBCode. But no...... again, just like everyday in September, I am disappointed to find out that there is still no update. I think what angers me the most is that it seems like the admins don't really care. Perhaps they do, but if that's the case, it doesn't show.

That is the most annoying thing on this site since always. How much the stuff and everyone ignores users. Not even bothering to tell you how things are going is so annoying.
In the end they come with excuses of the type "we where busy". For fucks sake, how busy can you be to write a 3 minute post?

Adramelech said:
MagicalCloud said:

That is a wrong logic. They promise service with asking no money in return. A promise for service is the same whether there is money in the end or not. The only thing they ask is to follow the rules. That is what professionality requires. However, the current situation has nothing to do with the "service promise" they make.

So, stop pointing out such irrelevant and wrong reasons. Demands are important for these kinds of sites.

Exactly. Besides they promise the service because it has benefits for them too. Our presence may not give money directly but it still gives money.
Oct 2, 2013 4:47 PM

Aug 2012
Just because it's a free service doesn't mean we don't have a right to complain.

I also have a bit of a free website myself. It's not nearly as popular as this one, but as long as the users are reasonable and friendly about it -- I'm happy to hear about what issues people are having with my page. That's why I have multiple links to send emails directly to me if there are issues.

Anyone running a website that they want to be successful would be open to hear out people's criticism. Otherwise, there's no incentive to improve. Asking the admins for a status update at LEAST once per month should be a reasonable request. Of course, it's their choice. If they're busy, they're busy. They don't have to listen to, respond to, or fix anything in regards to our complaints. But if they want people to continue enjoying MAL's good community and resourcefulness, not doing those things would probably be a mistake.

I think this is a good site. I'm sure that the admins are working hard to solve whatever problems that they're having. We all just want to know what's going on, and being the people that make up the community, we have the right to ask.
Oct 2, 2013 4:55 PM

Oct 2010
I have to say, it is pretty unprofessional to say absolutely nothing at all.
I mean, even if they can't give an exact date as to when they can enable it again, a "it'll be on within the next couple weeks/month/two months/etc" would be nice for everyone who has been sitting around waiting for a month now.

I also don't see why the bbcode is off if they are going to leave it on for profiles.
The hacker could easily take over an account/make an account, post unpleasant things on their profile, and then create some kind of attention seeking topic to get everyone to view it.
Oct 2, 2013 5:02 PM

Aug 2012
toridoshi said:
I have to say, it is pretty unprofessional to say absolutely nothing at all.
I mean, even if they can't give an exact date as to when they can enable it again, a "it'll be on within the next couple weeks/month/two months/etc" would be nice for everyone who has been sitting around waiting for a month now.

All they really need to say is, "Over the course of the last month, we did this ________. The problems are going to continue for ________(A little longer, a while still)."

The reason I check this thread every day is for an update :S By the time the bbcode is fixed, I'll have made a signature I like more and won't even be able to see the one I created in action, hehe.
Oct 2, 2013 10:27 PM

Nov 2010
to the person who was upset with our complaining. what you said is kind of saddening to hear you say that our opinions on this dont matter and we should be quiet. sure our complaints wont make things go faster. but i do believe we are justified with them for being left in the dark for over a month on this issue. sure i want the codes to back up and running as soon as possible. but im ok with waiting if im given some reason as to why im waiting. as for your example to when the site was down. i wasnt upset that the site was down i just wanted info as to why? and what was being done to solve it. and i find it hard to believe that not one moderator/admin out of all of them are to busy to give us a quick update like
Iner7ia said:

All they really need to say is, "Over the course of the last month, we did this ________. The problems are going to continue for ________(A little longer, a while still)."
Nov 11, 2013 3:05 AM

Nov 2010
Allowing linking only from white-listed domains is going to cause even more butthurt.
Another option is to allow BBcode usage only to members that are registered for 1+ month. This would make creating troll accounts more difficult, and banning more effective.
Nov 19, 2013 12:05 AM

Jun 2011
I just want my fucking siggy back.
Its REALLY annoying, MAL.
Nov 19, 2013 8:26 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Thread Locked.

I'm not entirely sure why this thread is still being posted when the discussion of white/blacklists is the topic of the more recent announcement thread. To prevent parallel discussions from going on, I have locked this thread.

Undim is correct, the goal of the whitelist is to prevent the hacker from stealing other user accounts, not in stopping troll accounts. You can read more about the current progress of this situation in my post here.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

201 by EverySportsAnime »»
Today, 7:28 AM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Destinesia »»
Today, 5:09 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3340 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.