Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 12, 2013 6:43 AM

Dec 2012
This one made me ugly-cry.
Oct 20, 2013 10:07 AM

May 2012
Quite a sad episode but still quite a lovely one, lets see what happens next!
Nov 7, 2013 2:12 AM

Oct 2012
I "felt" this episode T_T
Oh Yasaburou, maybe he's a little bit strong than Yaichirou

1st = responsibility
2nd = easygoing
3rd = idiocy
4rd = innocence

Next ep, finally it's Kaisei appearance?
"Signature removed"
Dec 17, 2013 7:55 AM

Apr 2013
Great episode. Felt like crying :'(
Dec 27, 2013 2:59 AM
May 2012
So that's what really happened.

I feel you frog bro, I feel you T_T

Their family is really beautiful, this episode is really beautiful.

The art, the music and the voice acting are really splendid!!!!

Tanuki form is so cute :3

Finally! Kaisei next episode, she should show her face already!!!!!
Jan 14, 2014 5:39 AM

Jun 2008
Sanguis said:
It still baffles me that tanuki get eaten by mere humans when they can transform into mountains and trains. You'd think they'd fight back a little.

Such shows aren't supposed to be watched with action movie mentality. Is like you get nothing of the spirit of what you watch when you make comments like this.

dbaranyi said:
Hmmm... So, is the implication that Souichirou let himself be captured for the stew pot in order to set in motion the breaking of the engagement between Yasaburou and Kaisei, and thus giving Yajirou a shot at his love for Kaisei?

The fact that Kaisei is featured in the previews for next week suggests that may be the case. We'll see...

Hmm..That quite crazy on his part. Not only he didn't consider the pain to others and the problems his death will bring but he also made the son he wanted to help so depressed he ended up as a frog in a well.
Was there really no better way than that?
Jan 16, 2014 7:22 PM

Aug 2008
Can't blame Yajiruo. He just wanted an advice from his father.
This episode really made me sad.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Feb 10, 2014 11:54 AM

Sep 2011
Aww.. I cried
and I had to do something after watching this. Ugh

I had to replay the inherited traits part. That was interesting. I feel sad for bro frog. So he neglected being a tanuki and instead hid in a wishing well(?) because of shame I guess. I still do not know how exactly the father was caught but oh well.
pew pew pew
May 10, 2014 9:32 AM
Aug 2012
:"(
Jun 18, 2014 12:42 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Intense episode, plot-way with a narrative that leads up to the end of the speech that so much was expected.
Good test of the OST that makes the topic even more intense.
Interesting dialogues.
Animations and discreet.
It seems that the next time we will know Kaisei, should be quite nice, I guess.
Jul 30, 2014 12:14 AM

May 2014
This episode. THIS EPISODE. Wow. Absolutely phenomenal. This show is easily turning out to be one of my all time favorites. We'll see if it holds.
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
Dec 6, 2014 8:33 PM

Feb 2013
Sad episode is sad. Wow. I feel bad for them. Very good episode.
Apr 18, 2015 2:50 PM

Nov 2013
this episode literally wastes me every single time, it's so damn good. the voicework feels so genuine and raw. i've seen this episode 3 times now, i don't think it'll ever lose its charm.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 10, 2016 1:08 AM
Jun 2014
This is my second time cry on anime :'(

Souichiro you're a great father
Feb 24, 2016 12:04 PM

Sep 2014
Naruhodo.. So that's why he was living as a frog. Hmm.This Episode was quite interesting.
Jan 5, 2017 6:00 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
What an amazing tanuki family. They all got different traits from their father.

Yaichirou crying at the end was very sad, great mother they have. I feel bad for Yajirou.
Mar 27, 2017 11:18 AM

Jun 2016
Crying over some damn furballs. I feel as tsundere as Akadama.

This show is amazing.
Mar 30, 2017 11:17 AM

Sep 2015
Well this might have been the most emotional episode of the series yet. And that's saying something. After foregoing a cold start the whole first half of this episode is a flashback. In it we learn more about Yajirou's past. And his final day with his father before the Friday Fellows ate him. Yajirou's the brother we know the least about at this point so the flashback is pretty compelling. We learn Yajirou always had an inferiority complex. And spent most of his pre-frog days drinking to drown his sadness and apathy. This is pretty heavy stuff. And different for an anime, I feel that most would outright condemn a character like this. Rather than expect us to feel sympathy for him. And relate to him which I definitely do.

We also discover he'd been harboring feelings for Kaisei. But felt bad because she was engaged to Yasaburou at this point. This explains why Kaisei has befriended him now in his frog form. He's no doubt explained his past, feelings for her and why he's chosen his current fate to Kaisei. And so she respects and at least has fondness for him. If not outright loves him too now. We'll have to learn more about Kaisei to really determine that.

After his emotional confession Yasaburou and Yaichirou leave the well. This felt kind of cold to me. But we learn by the end Yaichirou doesn't hold ill will towards his brother. And is sad about the state he's been driven to. No doubt in the next few episodes we'll see Yaichirou try to return Yajirou to the fold. Possibly with the mother's help as well, who also pities and wants to help Yajirou.

The final big moment of the episode is delivered by Akadama-sensei. When Yasaburou returns to the bath house to fetch his master home. Which was funny like the brothers I'd completely forgotten about the old man at this point. He informs Yasaburou he was actually the last person to see their father alive. In this he reveals Papa Shimogamo had died on his own terms. He was no longer able to transform, and so wished to move on to the next phase. His only wish was that the brothers continued to love one another. Driven by how he had grown apart from his own brother. This will no doubt be hugely important in the forthcoming Nise-mon election. Which should start dominating the plot soon.
Apr 20, 2017 3:39 PM
Aug 2014
Great episode, really glad I kept watching.
May 3, 2017 9:17 PM

Oct 2012
Hardly any action yet the best episode yet. I really feel like I understand this world much better now. At least the Shimogamo family. Now we just need to unravel the mystery that is Benten.
Sep 2, 2017 7:38 PM

Apr 2015
I got distracted during Yajiro's story by the fact that he turned into a train. "What does turning into a train feel like? I mean, having your body change like that, having wheels...shit, I wanna be a tanuki. Oh wait it's serious story time."

I still don't feel like Yajiro should feel as much blame as he does on himself for his father's death. He didn't even really 'abandon' him, did he? I mean, his drunk father was seemingly riding him one second (that sounds really wrong but it's what happened!) and then he just disappeared.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 10, 2017 4:15 PM

Jan 2014
Who was cutting all these damn onions?

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 7, 2017 12:20 AM

Mar 2015
Looks like everything finally came to light about the dad's death.. many feels
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 17, 2017 7:36 PM

Jan 2015
This episode was beautiful, really amazing
Dec 20, 2017 4:45 PM

Sep 2011
That was pretty sad :(
I still can't blame Yajirou, people don't think straigth when they are drunk :/ And there still might be some more to that night, that we don't yet know about.

I wonder what that place (the other end of the bar) was supposed to be when their father met with Sensei. Perhaps some kind of a place between this life and the next one? But then what was Sensei doing there?

Also, show us Kaisei already! >.>
RazielZeroDec 20, 2017 4:48 PM
Jan 23, 2018 9:37 PM

Oct 2017
Holy shit, I never expect a semi comedy slice of life will make me cry.

The feels man...
That build up and layer of presentation.
P.A work is really good at this (tears)

May 20, 2018 6:33 PM

Sep 2013
So, that was his ghost or something?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 22, 2019 1:18 PM

Sep 2018
I didn't like this episode that much, I won't argue that it's not a good episode, because technically it is, but it just made me uncomfortable. Placing shame on the brother for something that was basically out of his control just because he happened to be with him that night is unfair, I know such things are simply part of japanese culture but I still don't like it.
Oct 22, 2019 1:37 PM

Sep 2018
Ventus_S said:
Holy shit, I never expect a semi comedy slice of life will make me cry.

The feels man...
That build up and layer of presentation.
P.A work is really good at this (tears)

Not sure why you wouldn't be expecting it, it's an anime about a family dealing with the death of their father, that was pretty evident from the start.
Feb 24, 2020 3:30 PM

Nov 2016
Uff, this one pulled at my heart strings. Gotta love the way they depicted the family bond, especially how the dialogue was written, felt like it doubled the impact just by implementing the right words.

Watched the ending for the third time and still getting the feels
5/5 ;_;

FMmatronFeb 24, 2020 3:38 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 26, 2020 4:48 PM

May 2016
Masterpiece of an episode, the amount of feeling I got from this one was unimaginably great.
Mar 31, 2021 3:03 PM

Aug 2016
Man, so their father's passing affected them a lot more than previously shown.
Interesting and heartbreaking episode.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Oct 6, 2021 9:45 PM

Jul 2016
Resonance said:
This episode was beautiful, really amazing

Beautiul music throughout really helped with the emotional scenes.
Jun 2, 2022 9:06 AM

Sep 2015
I'm rewatching the series after some years. I always loved it, gave it a 9 at that time.
But you know what, this episode made me realize this show deserves a 10.

Simply incredible
Jan 30, 2023 11:23 AM

Jan 2021
It's 2 AM here and I'm crying. This is the most beautiful episode I've watched in the past few months. Oh my... I couldn't hold back my tears when his mom said that she already knew and asked Yaichirou not to blame everything on Yajirou. Really... it was amazing. Shimogamo's mom is so incredibly sincere and gracious. I would put her in my top 3 best moms.

I really appreciate Yaichirou as the eldest brother in these last two episodes. The burden and pressure... especially having such a great father figure... I can't and won't imagine :")

On the one hand, Yajirou felt like he was useless in all his life, especially since he's the second child, I don't know how to explain it but seeing him have an older brother who inherited his father's leadership nature was probably enough to make him feel left behind. After all, even though it wasn't his fault but he was the last child to meet the father before his father was eaten by humans. Can you imagine how he felt? He let go of everything because he felt that everything was meaningless. There was no point in him staying as a tanuki. It was all suffocating!

Now what we need to know is why did his father just give himself up to be eaten by humans? I mean he was the greatest tanuki. The leader.

Uh this is really sad. Yajirou's last moment with his father was so sweet, I couldn't take it :") and I liked Yasaburou's inner thoughts at the end, it was brilliant. I also felt grateful for Yasaburou since second ep, like.. he is the one who put the balance between them. It's all because of his personality and attitude (that he got from his father).

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2013

83 by blinddig »»
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Do you think the series will get a s3?

Vamp_Lord - Oct 28, 2023

4 by InNeedOfAName »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2013

95 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 6:26 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2013

104 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:25 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

105 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 9, 2023 4:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.