Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 26, 2013 7:56 PM

May 2011
I love that in the tight bonds of family Souichirou managed to bring Akadama closer into the fold in obligation but as one of the pack as well.
Aug 27, 2013 8:23 AM

Jul 2010
I cried. Damn, these feels. I can't handle them ... I didn't expect this much good drama.

Kaisei incentrated episode for the next one. Can't wait. Hopefully we'll learn more about her.
Aug 27, 2013 11:03 AM
Jan 2012
a beautiful farewell to part of a larger tanuki

the ending was so emotional, cry a lot, TwT Yaichirou

FairyUsaKasukiAug 27, 2013 11:32 AM
Aug 27, 2013 4:41 PM

Jul 2011
Beautiful!

Kaisei in the next episode? I can't wait for it!
Aug 28, 2013 2:04 PM
Mar 2012
Soichiro didn't seem drunk in the recollection of that one human. And didn't he say he had done everything - but that wouldn't be true if he had wanted to take care of the love triangle.
Also: why be angry with someone who just went out to drink with him but not with someone who killed and ATE him?!
Aug 28, 2013 2:39 PM

May 2013
ElenirLachlagos said:
Also: why be angry with someone who just went out to drink with him but not with someone who killed and ATE him?!

You can get angry at the IRS for over-taxing your wallet, but in the end it is an exercise in futility; your father, grandfather, great grandfather, etc. were also prey of the IRS (or your country equivalent). You might do a revolution, but in the end you will be still taxed by the goverment. Same thing here, there is no changing the status quo and and ending the masquarede and calling for a violent revolution against humans will only mean tanuki will be wiped out like the dodo (and so many other species that have ended inside our tummies).
Aug 28, 2013 8:12 PM

Aug 2013
Hoo boy, that was a heavy episode!
Yajiro can turn into a train! That's big news. I hope that shows up again in. And the next episode seems to be about Kaisei at last? Yes!

So there's been complaints about, among other things, the slow pacing of this show. I'm not saying that those points aren't valid, but I want to chime in my opinion on why I feel it works in this show's favour.

First off, it takes place in a grounded setting where people are living their everyday lives; no one's trying to solve some big mystery, or fight in a war for the fate of blah blah blah. The Shimogamo family have been trying to move on since the father died, so they're not desperately seeking answers or baring all the secrets in their hearts to each other.

So the plot points are unfolded gradually, and upon aligning the right circumstances: the Ebisugawa boys wouldn't have revealed their nasty secret unless the tanuki elections were going on. Yasaburou wouldn't have met the Friday Fellows if he hadn't broken the tea house Benten gave him in the fireworks festival (and lost her fan). Events have to be established first before the writers can start throwing their curve balls: how the humans view tanuki, the circumstances behind the father's death, why Benten is how she is...

Second: most of the characters are very simple; the writers don't try to hide it. In this episode, Yasaburou boils him and his brothers down to a single trait each. Professor Akadama lives only for flying and women, and has already lost one of those things. Tanuki transform to protect themselves, but also to have fun. It's the humans who are the tricky ones; their views and motivations are ambiguous and bizzare. Yasaburou wonders why Benten has "changed", but she acts like it's the most normal thing in the world. Of course, she intentionally remains distant from everyone. I find it appropriate that Tatami Galaxy was much the same, showing that people had lots of different sides to themselves, but that was apart of who they were.

Third point: the main character himself, Yasaburou. As protagonists go, he's pretty passive. Despite his adventurousness, things tend to happen to him more often then be set in motion by him. He's taken from place to place, only to stand there as people yap about how they've been doing or express their weird philosophical musings.

But I like that. Someone mentioned it before, but he acts as a neutral force, bearing witness to all different kinds of views. Not just for our benefit, he's shown actively listening. Whenever he narrates it's usually to summarize his thoughts on the subject of the episode. He thinks before he speaks, because he's trying to understand.

And that's what's beautiful about this show; it has simple characters who live simply, who coexist with each other through boundaries of race, class, power, mentality. But that doesn't mean that they can't understand each other; whether it's brothers with clashing personalities, or an old Tengu and his old Tanuki friend, or a young Tanuki and the humans who ate his father. The show makes a lot of points on living a full life; Yasaburo strives to do this by exposing himself to all sorts of lifestyles and weighing the values of each person he comes across. And if that ultimately leads to a cooking pot, then who's to say that that isn't fulfilling either?

But yeah, it's slow. Things proceed at a snail's pace, and the show likes to dance around the important issues, when things could be summarized neatly in about half the time. It's got pretty weird ideas (although not really) about being eaten equating to love.

For me, what makes it all work is that I love the characters. I love the way they play off each other, and that the show gives everyone enough lines to speak when it matters. So watching them interact is just as much fun for me, if not more than pushing the story along. If you don't like the characters, then of course it all falls apart.

More and more often, I find there's more interesting things going on than the plot: the imagery, the designs, the animation, the music, the atmosphere, the dialogue, the acting, the characters. Plot's been done before. But in a visual medium? There's so much cooler stuff that can be the focus or merit of a work. That's where I feel Uchouten Kazoku shines.
kzekedaurusAug 28, 2013 8:28 PM
Aug 29, 2013 1:33 PM
Aug 2013
mangamuscle said:
ElenirLachlagos said:

You can get angry at the IRS for over-taxing your wallet, but in the end it is an exercise in futility; your father, grandfather, great grandfather, etc. were also prey of the IRS (or your country equivalent). You might do a revolution, but in the end you will be still taxed by the goverment. Same thing here, there is no changing the status quo and and ending the masquarede and calling for a violent revolution against humans will only mean tanuki will be wiped out like the dodo (and so many other species that have ended inside our tummies).

Interesting Point! IRS as the human beings, 233333. You are afraid of them rather than hatred.
Aug 30, 2013 3:02 PM

Sep 2011
This show already had the potential for greatness, this episode reached it.

Amazing show, fantastic characters, art style and animation are top notch, sense of humor and vairety of emotions it carries is truly diverse and all done extremely well. The amount of good things i can say about this show are in good quantity and i can only hope the rest of the show can be as magical as these past 8 have been. This show is shaping up to be my seventh 10/10 from me

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 30, 2013 8:31 PM

Nov 2008
I waited too long to watch this episode, but I definitely enjoyed it a lot. I really thought I'd get through the episode only wanting to cry, but when Yachirou started crying..the tears just came out.

A really emotional episode, and I'm looking forward to the next, cause I want to see how Kaisei looks like.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Aug 30, 2013 8:39 PM

Sep 2012
I wonder if they'll show what Kaisei actually looks in the next episode...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 1, 2013 10:57 AM
Aug 2011
My god what a wonderful show.

I feel like it does things just right and never overbearing.
Sep 1, 2013 9:16 PM

Feb 2009
So sad. I really fell like crying.
Sep 2, 2013 6:45 AM

Aug 2008
all my feel!!! T.T

damn it, i really can't understand their "suicidal" father. he left just like that, leaving a big hole in the family. hope it will be explain later, why their father willingly captured and ended up as tanukinabe.
Sep 2, 2013 8:50 AM

Aug 2012
oh god, awesomeness. i'll probably give this anime an almost perfect score.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Sep 5, 2013 9:54 PM

Jun 2012
THE FEELS!

So powerful, and I already liked the series as it was.

Sep 7, 2013 9:57 AM

Jun 2011
wow, this anime is so beautiful.
so damn emotional
Sep 9, 2013 1:40 AM

Jan 2008
The best episode so far plus, great voices especially of Suwabe Junichi and Yoshino Hiroyuki in this episode. The calm and soft yet full of sorrow in Yajirou's voice was praiseworthy.
Sep 10, 2013 12:51 PM

Apr 2012
45Ravager said:
Hearing how things went out with Yajirou was kind of depressing, especially the reason why he's in that well. This was good episode, and I liked what Yasaburou said at the end about how his father's traits are split amongst them: Yachirou with the responsibility, Yajirou with the easy-going personality, Yashirou with the innocence, and Yasaburou was left with his idiocy. With that they're all connected together because of their mom, that was very interesting.

Seconded.
Sep 12, 2013 6:43 AM

Dec 2012
This one made me ugly-cry.
Oct 20, 2013 10:07 AM

May 2012
Quite a sad episode but still quite a lovely one, lets see what happens next!
Nov 7, 2013 2:12 AM

Oct 2012
I "felt" this episode T_T
Oh Yasaburou, maybe he's a little bit strong than Yaichirou

1st = responsibility
2nd = easygoing
3rd = idiocy
4rd = innocence

Next ep, finally it's Kaisei appearance?
"Signature removed"
Dec 17, 2013 7:55 AM

Apr 2013
Great episode. Felt like crying :'(
Dec 27, 2013 2:59 AM
May 2012
So that's what really happened.

I feel you frog bro, I feel you T_T

Their family is really beautiful, this episode is really beautiful.

The art, the music and the voice acting are really splendid!!!!

Tanuki form is so cute :3

Finally! Kaisei next episode, she should show her face already!!!!!
Jan 14, 2014 5:39 AM

Jun 2008
Sanguis said:
It still baffles me that tanuki get eaten by mere humans when they can transform into mountains and trains. You'd think they'd fight back a little.

Such shows aren't supposed to be watched with action movie mentality. Is like you get nothing of the spirit of what you watch when you make comments like this.

dbaranyi said:
Hmmm... So, is the implication that Souichirou let himself be captured for the stew pot in order to set in motion the breaking of the engagement between Yasaburou and Kaisei, and thus giving Yajirou a shot at his love for Kaisei?

The fact that Kaisei is featured in the previews for next week suggests that may be the case. We'll see...

Hmm..That quite crazy on his part. Not only he didn't consider the pain to others and the problems his death will bring but he also made the son he wanted to help so depressed he ended up as a frog in a well.
Was there really no better way than that?
Jan 16, 2014 7:22 PM

Aug 2008
Can't blame Yajiruo. He just wanted an advice from his father.
This episode really made me sad.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Feb 10, 2014 11:54 AM

Sep 2011
Aww.. I cried
and I had to do something after watching this. Ugh

I had to replay the inherited traits part. That was interesting. I feel sad for bro frog. So he neglected being a tanuki and instead hid in a wishing well(?) because of shame I guess. I still do not know how exactly the father was caught but oh well.
pew pew pew
May 10, 2014 9:32 AM
Aug 2012
:"(
Jun 18, 2014 12:42 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Intense episode, plot-way with a narrative that leads up to the end of the speech that so much was expected.
Good test of the OST that makes the topic even more intense.
Interesting dialogues.
Animations and discreet.
It seems that the next time we will know Kaisei, should be quite nice, I guess.
Jul 30, 2014 12:14 AM

May 2014
This episode. THIS EPISODE. Wow. Absolutely phenomenal. This show is easily turning out to be one of my all time favorites. We'll see if it holds.
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
Dec 6, 2014 8:33 PM

Feb 2013
Sad episode is sad. Wow. I feel bad for them. Very good episode.
Apr 18, 2015 2:50 PM

Nov 2013
this episode literally wastes me every single time, it's so damn good. the voicework feels so genuine and raw. i've seen this episode 3 times now, i don't think it'll ever lose its charm.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 10, 2016 1:08 AM
Jun 2014
This is my second time cry on anime :'(

Souichiro you're a great father
Feb 24, 2016 12:04 PM

Sep 2014
Naruhodo.. So that's why he was living as a frog. Hmm.This Episode was quite interesting.
Jan 5, 2017 6:00 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
What an amazing tanuki family. They all got different traits from their father.

Yaichirou crying at the end was very sad, great mother they have. I feel bad for Yajirou.
Mar 27, 2017 11:18 AM

Jun 2016
Crying over some damn furballs. I feel as tsundere as Akadama.

This show is amazing.
Mar 30, 2017 11:17 AM

Sep 2015
Well this might have been the most emotional episode of the series yet. And that's saying something. After foregoing a cold start the whole first half of this episode is a flashback. In it we learn more about Yajirou's past. And his final day with his father before the Friday Fellows ate him. Yajirou's the brother we know the least about at this point so the flashback is pretty compelling. We learn Yajirou always had an inferiority complex. And spent most of his pre-frog days drinking to drown his sadness and apathy. This is pretty heavy stuff. And different for an anime, I feel that most would outright condemn a character like this. Rather than expect us to feel sympathy for him. And relate to him which I definitely do.

We also discover he'd been harboring feelings for Kaisei. But felt bad because she was engaged to Yasaburou at this point. This explains why Kaisei has befriended him now in his frog form. He's no doubt explained his past, feelings for her and why he's chosen his current fate to Kaisei. And so she respects and at least has fondness for him. If not outright loves him too now. We'll have to learn more about Kaisei to really determine that.

After his emotional confession Yasaburou and Yaichirou leave the well. This felt kind of cold to me. But we learn by the end Yaichirou doesn't hold ill will towards his brother. And is sad about the state he's been driven to. No doubt in the next few episodes we'll see Yaichirou try to return Yajirou to the fold. Possibly with the mother's help as well, who also pities and wants to help Yajirou.

The final big moment of the episode is delivered by Akadama-sensei. When Yasaburou returns to the bath house to fetch his master home. Which was funny like the brothers I'd completely forgotten about the old man at this point. He informs Yasaburou he was actually the last person to see their father alive. In this he reveals Papa Shimogamo had died on his own terms. He was no longer able to transform, and so wished to move on to the next phase. His only wish was that the brothers continued to love one another. Driven by how he had grown apart from his own brother. This will no doubt be hugely important in the forthcoming Nise-mon election. Which should start dominating the plot soon.
Apr 20, 2017 3:39 PM
Aug 2014
Great episode, really glad I kept watching.
May 3, 2017 9:17 PM

Oct 2012
Hardly any action yet the best episode yet. I really feel like I understand this world much better now. At least the Shimogamo family. Now we just need to unravel the mystery that is Benten.
Sep 2, 2017 7:38 PM

Apr 2015
I got distracted during Yajiro's story by the fact that he turned into a train. "What does turning into a train feel like? I mean, having your body change like that, having wheels...shit, I wanna be a tanuki. Oh wait it's serious story time."

I still don't feel like Yajiro should feel as much blame as he does on himself for his father's death. He didn't even really 'abandon' him, did he? I mean, his drunk father was seemingly riding him one second (that sounds really wrong but it's what happened!) and then he just disappeared.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 10, 2017 4:15 PM

Jan 2014
Who was cutting all these damn onions?

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 7, 2017 12:20 AM

Mar 2015
Looks like everything finally came to light about the dad's death.. many feels
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 17, 2017 7:36 PM

Jan 2015
This episode was beautiful, really amazing
Dec 20, 2017 4:45 PM

Sep 2011
That was pretty sad :(
I still can't blame Yajirou, people don't think straigth when they are drunk :/ And there still might be some more to that night, that we don't yet know about.

I wonder what that place (the other end of the bar) was supposed to be when their father met with Sensei. Perhaps some kind of a place between this life and the next one? But then what was Sensei doing there?

Also, show us Kaisei already! >.>
RazielZeroDec 20, 2017 4:48 PM
Jan 23, 2018 9:37 PM

Oct 2017
Holy shit, I never expect a semi comedy slice of life will make me cry.

The feels man...
That build up and layer of presentation.
P.A work is really good at this (tears)

May 20, 2018 6:33 PM

Sep 2013
So, that was his ghost or something?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 22, 2019 1:18 PM

Sep 2018
I didn't like this episode that much, I won't argue that it's not a good episode, because technically it is, but it just made me uncomfortable. Placing shame on the brother for something that was basically out of his control just because he happened to be with him that night is unfair, I know such things are simply part of japanese culture but I still don't like it.
Oct 22, 2019 1:37 PM

Sep 2018
Ventus_S said:
Holy shit, I never expect a semi comedy slice of life will make me cry.

The feels man...
That build up and layer of presentation.
P.A work is really good at this (tears)

Not sure why you wouldn't be expecting it, it's an anime about a family dealing with the death of their father, that was pretty evident from the start.
Feb 24, 2020 3:30 PM

Nov 2016
Uff, this one pulled at my heart strings. Gotta love the way they depicted the family bond, especially how the dialogue was written, felt like it doubled the impact just by implementing the right words.

Watched the ending for the third time and still getting the feels
5/5 ;_;

FMmatronFeb 24, 2020 3:38 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2013

83 by blinddig »»
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Do you think the series will get a s3?

Vamp_Lord - Oct 28, 2023

4 by InNeedOfAName »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2013

95 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 6:26 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2013

104 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:25 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

105 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 9, 2023 4:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.