Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 29, 2009 10:54 PM
Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Looks like the air's cleared up in one episode.

& it appears
Jan 30, 2009 8:15 AM

Mar 2008
Hey! What's up with the new OP? I did not see it but would like people TO COMMENT on it! So I get a idea. Thank you!
Jan 30, 2009 9:24 AM

Jan 2009
I came to like new op, that's so cool !

and about this ep, i felt this story was too haste, so i guess many viewer who haven't read original light novels couldn't understand well circumstances or purpose of them
Jan 30, 2009 8:48 PM
Jun 2007
wawawa... Cool opening. Better than the previous one, imo.
And yes, I also felt it was rushed. I barely understand it. It was still enjoyable nevertheless. I hope its gonna have another season. But looking at the way they rush things, I doubt it will
Jan 30, 2009 9:29 PM

Aug 2008
The new OP is okay i guess.. but Psi-missing had levels of epicness.. over 9000!

I have no idea what was the whole story behind misha/sasha but at least this arc is over.. and it wasn't a bad episode either. Though Touma basically didn't do anything besides gettin' beaten up.

Index was super-cute at the end (as it usually goes at the end of every arc)
Jan 30, 2009 10:21 PM

Jan 2009
This new op has nothing over Psi-missing.

As for the episode......I'm glad this arc is over. It felt way too rushed and I just generally found it boring except for when he saw everyone switched for the first time. We get to see lots of Mikoto next episode though, which will be awesome.
Jan 31, 2009 12:06 AM
Mar 2008
Man it feels like everything that happens in this anime is pulled out randomly from the ass. Things just happen and Touma is like, oh okay I get it or I'll go along with it lol. But other than the random plots and plot twists I still want to watch more. Kaori talking while fighting was weird and so were a lot of other random things, but Index at the end made up for everything. Lol'd a lot at Touma ignoring mandex last ep cuz sooner or later she would be back to normal and get revenge.
Jan 31, 2009 12:11 AM

Sep 2007
Er,what.

So... Tsuchimikado knew what was going on. He also knew how to stop it. And that his life was not actually in any danger.

Why then, did any of this happen? Why didn't Tsuchimikado just tell everyone what was going on?

I really don't get it. This whole arc would have been fine if they'd killed off Tsuchimikado. Instead, it seems like a trivial event where Tsuchimikado simply decided to be a jerk and lead everyone around by the nose. For... no apparent reason.
naikouJan 31, 2009 12:19 AM
Jan 31, 2009 1:13 AM
Apr 2008
Never mind the guy. I think this episode is pretty OK. I'm looking forward to the next episode, which is gonna be interesting (The anime's reaching Volume 5 novel BTW.

Jan 31, 2009 1:45 AM

Jul 2008
well if we see it as a gag arc then its ok. because the hole stuff with beach and character switch was kinda funny. and next time not too serious again, the typically pretend to be boyfriend stuff.

Jan 31, 2009 7:51 AM
Aug 2008
darkside099 said:
Hey! What's up with the new OP? I did not see it but would like people TO COMMENT on it! So I get a idea. Thank you!

It has a new techno song. Like the first song, the new song is snappy and fast-tempo.

It shows the characters in a typical classroom - the blond guy, Touma, Index, and one other. It shows the maid-girl again, and then the blond guy again, so the blond guy might be getting more important. It has at least three new girls, all of whom are tall and sexy, so I suspect many more fan service episodes in the future. (One appears to be a traditional ideal Japanese girl, another is a Girl With Glasses, the third seems to be a huge-bosomed teacher.) There are two women who look to be old enough to be out of school - one wears a labcoat and smiles, the other wears an awesome Gothic Lolita outfit and appears to summon an iron golem by means of glowing green runes.

Jan 31, 2009 8:01 AM
Aug 2008
naikou said:
Er,what.

So... Tsuchimikado knew what was going on. He also knew how to stop it. And that his life was not actually in any danger.

Why then, did any of this happen? Why didn't Tsuchimikado just tell everyone what was going on?

Recall that in a prior episode, when they went to the house, Touma reached out to grab something and Tsuchimikado grabbed his hand.

If Tsu-blond-guy completely understood what was happening, he should have informed Touma at that point. Maybe he didn't want Touma touching things because an uncontrolled chain reaction would have been dangerous, but he SHOULD have TOLD Touma about this.

Neglecting to tell Touma means that he is either (a) a serious enemy, who is going to be a recurring antagonist, (b) a well-written psychopath who is too insane to treat people reasonably, or (c) a badly-written plot device that allows the lazy writer to throw in a new life-threatening challenge every episode without any of it making sense.

I think Tsuchimikado-blond-guy is going to be like "Q" on Star Trek. He'll keep popping up, sneering at the main characters, introducing a weird and wacky challenge, and then refusing to help, just enjoying the chaos. This kind of character is incredibly easy to write, and the main characters won't do the reasonable thing and kill him. In the case of "Q" he was all-powerful, so the main characters couldn't kill him; in the case of this blond guy, I think the characters will just be soft-hearted idiots and refuse to kill him because he might turn out to be a friend. Or maybe they won't be able to make him stay dead.

This bodes ill for intelligent writing. On the other hand, cute girls and explosions still offer considerable entertainment value.
Jan 31, 2009 9:34 AM

Apr 2008
I like the new OP better than the other one 8D It was an okay episode.

Breath||
Jan 31, 2009 11:11 AM

May 2007
Though I wanted to see more Kanzaki in the plot, I personally didn't really like this arc all that much. It really made no sense, seemed more of a filler (until further notice) and I guess was more of a device to introduce Tsuchimikado to the bigger picture of things.
Jan 31, 2009 7:46 PM

Sep 2008
The new OP kind of caught me by surprise... i Like the instrumental...

Laughed so hard when Tsuchimikado walked in the hospital. Tsuchimikado is a hardcore liar. Wish i was like that xD.
Jan 31, 2009 8:32 PM

Sep 2008
ah, i was completely right of how this arc will end.
touma gets sent to the hospital again, and then gets bitten on the head by index.

seriously, a running theme x-x.
new op is both great and weird animation at the same time.
Jan 31, 2009 9:25 PM

Apr 2008
ok episode

next time:
date with biri biri? YES!!! <3
Jan 31, 2009 10:03 PM

Sep 2008
if anyone wants to see what the new opening looks like:

there is an [HD] button on bottom right corner of video if you didnt know
seriously odd opening o_o.
like the classroom scene and spinning vacuum cleaner, and bad transition from touma walking to running
atruong18Jan 31, 2009 10:08 PM
Jan 31, 2009 10:38 PM
Oct 2007
I agree about this arc being kinda rushed, but at least "all's well that ends well" and mostly everything was explained.

Index was <3

naikou said:
Er,what.

I really don't get it. This whole arc would have been fine if they'd killed off Tsuchimikado. Instead, it seems like a trivial event where Tsuchimikado simply decided to be a jerk and lead everyone around by the nose. For... no apparent reason.

No I don't think this arc would've been fine if they killed off Tsuchimikado. As you said, he knew what was going on and how to stop it, so killing him off would not help. However, from what I can see, he did not know the cause of Angel's Fall before going to Touma's house. Apparently, the cause of Angel's Fall was how those ancient artifacts Touma's father collected were set up. It's merely a "coincidence". And well, yes, Tsuchimikado's a teaser and a jerk for keeping everything to himself but as he claims, he's a liar and liars either don't tell you the truth, make up stories, or keep the important stuff to themselves. ;)

Anyway, I want to make sure I understood some parts of this arc correctly. Misha happens to be an angel and I suppose she was sent down basically to stop Angel's Fall, correct? And Tsuchimikado was coughing up blood because he's an esper but was using magic, right? Anyone?

Oh, and I gotta say Tsuchimikado's ability of body regeneration is pretty cool.
Jan 31, 2009 10:58 PM

Sep 2007
Annisa said:
No I don't think this arc would've been fine if they killed off Tsuchimikado. As you said, he knew what was going on and how to stop it, so killing him off would not help.

I think you misunderstand what I was getting at. It would have been better if the writers had left Tsuchimikado as dead after he sacrificed himself, instead of giving him some haxxor regeneration ability to bring him back from the dead.

That way, his fight with Touma would make sense (because Touma wouldn't accept him sacrificing himself), and his motive for not stopping the thing before it got out of hand would be clear (he didn't know about it until late enough in the game that he had to kill himself to stop it),
Jan 31, 2009 11:24 PM
Oct 2007
@ naiko, ahhh, I see what you mean now, but at least his ability justifies how he came back to life so it's not too bad, right.
Feb 1, 2009 12:07 AM

Sep 2007
It's still pretty bad. To say nothing of the fact that the past few episodes now seem completely pointless, that ability makes Tsuchimikado completely broken. Seriously, what's going to kill him? He recovered from massive blood loss faster than Touma could heal up from getting punched a few times.
Feb 1, 2009 1:42 AM

Nov 2007
ummm ... okay ... not the greatest episode but semi-amusing, lol @ Tsuchimikado but it kind of killed all the drama, not that there was much to begin with xD
Feb 1, 2009 7:58 AM

Aug 2007
What the hell is up with this series? Is it a slice of life with a bit of action?

Ever since the first few episodes where they save Index, the rest are just mini-stories which almost pay no relation to each other.....

The next mini story is going to be about some dating thing....

I don't even know why is this series named after Index anymore.....
Feb 1, 2009 9:27 AM

Feb 2008
new op sux....

well touma had it coming. the show is almost over now...damn
Feb 1, 2009 12:40 PM

Jan 2009
That was quite a complex spell...

MRLX69 said:
What the hell is up with this series? Is it a slice of life with a bit of action?

Ever since the first few episodes where they save Index, the rest are just mini-stories which almost pay no relation to each other.....

The next mini story is going to be about some dating thing....

I don't even know why is this series named after Index anymore.....

QFT. Gief more index
Feb 1, 2009 12:47 PM

Sep 2008
xyakaix said:
That was quite a complex spell...

the thing that is so complex about it is, it was all a coincidence .

gah, hope the series actually end these mini arcs at around ep20 or 21, which most likely it will (or at 22)
Feb 1, 2009 12:51 PM

Apr 2008
New opening song is so much better.

Eppy was decent overall. The anime hasn't rly done anything for me after the beginning with Index's memory issue so I don't expect much from these episodes anymore. I did like this arc better than the one with the annoying sister copy thing and Accelerator or whatever their names where. -_- That arc was so boring. ffs.
Feb 1, 2009 1:04 PM

Feb 2008
Grimmm said:
New opening song is so much better.

I agree ^^

Grimmm said:

Eppy was decent overall. The anime hasn't rly done anything for me after the beginning with Index's memory issue so I don't expect much from these episodes anymore. I did like this arc better than the one with the annoying sister copy thing and Accelerator or whatever their names where. -_- That arc was so boring. ffs.

Personally I prefer the "sister copy" arc. Although it had some flaws in it, it was the strongest for me so far. Therefore Im really looking forward to the next episode. :]
Feb 1, 2009 4:48 PM

Jan 2008
formosan said:
I think Tsuchimikado-blond-guy is going to be like "Q" on Star Trek. He'll keep popping up, sneering at the main characters, introducing a weird and wacky challenge, and then refusing to help, just enjoying the chaos. This kind of character is incredibly easy to write, and the main characters won't do the reasonable thing and kill him. In the case of "Q" he was all-powerful, so the main characters couldn't kill him; in the case of this blond guy, I think the characters will just be soft-hearted idiots and refuse to kill him because he might turn out to be a friend. Or maybe they won't be able to make him stay dead.

I like how you put that. I originally wasn't thinking of Q, but rather Xellos. Both examples work though.

I knew he wasn't going to die though. Why? Because he's in the OP.

Poor Index. Everything that happened to her, actually happened. A well deserved bite on Touma's head.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Feb 1, 2009 8:04 PM

Aug 2008
I have to agree with these small arcs not making much sense when thinking of the bigger story line. I suppose if I read the light novels they might fit in better?

Although I was happy to see Kanzaki back again. Funny how she was seen as being Stiyl.

I like the old opening better than the new one. The song was just a lot better, but this song is alright, it's not annoying or anything.
Feb 1, 2009 8:35 PM

Apr 2008
Seems like I'm the minority with liking the new OP better. :P Oh well. And apparently the pv will be out Wednesday so can't wait to hear the whole song. ^^

The girl fighting Touma at the end of the OP looked pretty cool. Not a lot of episodes left, though.
Feb 2, 2009 7:52 PM

Aug 2008
I'm sorry, what the hell was that?

Everyone's body is switched except for Kanzaki, Misha, and Tsuchimikado...with no explanation? Then Tsuchimikado is one big pathological liar to add to the confusion, and we end with the lame sequence we always end up with at the end of an arc.

This is redundant past the point of entertaining, and onto the level of banality.
Feb 2, 2009 10:03 PM

Aug 2008
This arc was pretty awesome........ until Tsuchimikado walked into the hospital room. Then it sucked big time.
"She turned me into a newt!"
"A newt?"
"... I got better."

The new op is ok, but not nearly as good as the first one. They should've kept the old music and just updated the animation for the new cast.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Feb 3, 2009 12:43 PM

Jan 2007
Preview was the best part. Misaka episode! <3
Feb 3, 2009 1:08 PM

Jul 2008
Gah, I liked the new OP :3
Edit - Downloaded full version, it's pretty damn good imo.

Not too sure if I liked the way this arc ended. The coincidence thing seemed a little lame to me, and Tsuchimikado coming back to life felt like a slap on the face.

At least we get more Misaka next week. <3
FactorFeb 3, 2009 2:05 PM
Feb 3, 2009 1:23 PM

Mar 2008
Great episode, it's good that Tsuchimikado is not dead, i like this character ;)
The new opening is also really nice. But how the hell did Toumas end in the hospital again ? Were Tsuchimikado's punches that strong ? 0_o
Feb 3, 2009 2:01 PM

Aug 2007
Hmm I think skimping out on the details of this arc made it too confusing. Well I guess that's to be expected given that J.C.Staff is doing this...I would settle for long-winded speeches if it meant getting more information on the magic/science.

The new OP is...well I prefer PSI-Missing.

Oh well another Mikoto-centric arc next episode...I'm torn between wanting more Mikoto or finally getting to see Misaka-loli (Last Order) in action.
Feb 3, 2009 2:42 PM

Feb 2009
I really liked how this arc started, the appearance switching was pretty funny, and there was plenty of fanservice. :p Too bad they rushed the end making it a bit confusing and not really epic. So a pretty weak episode overall, imo.

I knew Tsuchimikado couldn't have died since nobody dies in this show, even with their arm chopped off. :p The hospital seems like some Pokemon Center for revival. xD But who cares about plot holes as long as there are gags and loli-fanservice, eh? :D

I wonder when we'll get an Index arc again, not that I'm disappointed with another Mikoto arc, but the show's called To Aru Majutsu no Index after all. ^^

Oh and I prefer the first OP.
Feb 3, 2009 2:43 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Really like the new OP, I'm sure it'll grow on me even more.

Touma's dad gave up a bit fast on the occult stuff and a few other things sounded a bit too convenient but I enjoyed the episode nonetheless. Just not enough Index. Hope the next eps will make up for that.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 3, 2009 2:49 PM

Nov 2007
the arc started of interesting but by the end of it left me confused like most of the other ones. so much explaining always and tsuchimikado being fine at the end was wtf? next time looks a bit more normal.
Feb 3, 2009 3:08 PM

Feb 2008
Good episode.
I like the new opening.
Looks like we'll see a some new characters in the next few episodes.
Too bad, they didn't made a new ED.
Feb 3, 2009 3:19 PM

Aug 2007
OMG, episode preview was the highlight.

Tsuchumikado is funny, I like him. This arc was a bit confusing and felt a little unnescesary though.
Feb 3, 2009 3:54 PM

Sep 2007
This show is getting pretty facepalm worthy. Are all the arcs going to end with Touma in the hospital? He was barely even hurt in this arc. He just got thrown around a bit.
Feb 3, 2009 4:52 PM
Apr 2008
noteDhero said:
I'm sorry, what the hell was that?

Everyone's body is switched except for Kanzaki, Misha, and Tsuchimikado...with no explanation? Then Tsuchimikado is one big pathological liar to add to the confusion, and we end with the lame sequence we always end up with at the end of an arc.

This is redundant past the point of entertaining, and onto the level of banality.

Watch the previous episode. Kanzaki & Tsuchimikado did attempt to cast a spell to negate the effect, but it did not appear to work on anyone except for the 3 plus Touma (I do not have to explain more since it's all in the episode. & Misha is the cause so I don't see why she should be seen as someone else too.

But then again that Misha appears to be imitating one of the magicians (as hinted in this episode.)

Annisa said:
Anyway, I want to make sure I understood some parts of this arc correctly. Misha happens to be an angel and I suppose she was sent down basically to stop Angel's Fall, correct? And Tsuchimikado was coughing up blood because he's an esper but was using magic, right? Anyone?

I can agree with your second question no more. But the fact that Misha is an angel still baffles me.

EDIT: In regards to the 2nd OP I find that it comes a bit too late. Makes it seems as though there's more than 24/25 episodes as originally planned.

& perhaps the 2nd ED is on its way next episode?

EDIT 2:
Wasabi said:
This show is getting pretty facepalm worthy. Are all the arcs going to end with Touma in the hospital? He was barely even hurt in this arc. He just got thrown around a bit.

Maybe so. But he IS more than getting thrown around a bit.
darkxdestinyFeb 3, 2009 4:56 PM
Feb 3, 2009 5:29 PM

Jul 2007
i was actually quite lost there at some point. so who the fuck is misha? why does his dad know her(remember he also keeps calling her misha...out of nowhere..or maybe I myself dont remember) sure, she's the angel...who took the form of sasha? confuzzling

in any case, i don't pay attention to the overall story. maybe im the only one who likes these mini arcs. i actually watch the show because of the good animation and the characters :P and hooray! another misaka arc! <3

question: who's the one spinning with the blue dress in the op? she seems rather too "happy" to be the real mikoto misaka, and she can't be a clone either because her eyes are different and show "emotion". plus! she has an ahoge. hmmm. if she's a different person then just put a spoiler on your answer or pm me XD

lastly, i also am not amused with the op. i tried listening a few times but it just didnt grow on me. in contrast, i liked the first op the first time i heard it..so maybe im just expecting too much from the new op. it still sounds like a bunch of random techno sounds thrown together -_-
Feb 3, 2009 5:45 PM
Apr 2008
corroded said:
i was actually quite lost there at some point. so who the fuck is misha? why does his dad know her(remember he also keeps calling her misha...out of nowhere..or maybe I myself dont remember) sure, she's the angel...who took the form of sasha? confuzzling

question: who's the one spinning with the blue dress in the op? she seems rather too "happy" to be the real mikoto misaka, and she can't be a clone either because her eyes are different and show "emotion". plus! she has an ahoge. hmmm. if she's a different person then just put a spoiler on your answer or pm me XD

To answer your first question Misha did actually appear in front of Touma's family once in the 2nd episode (previous) of the arc. That's how.

As for the 2nd question, I believe she would be the main focus of the next arc to come. The big hint is already there:
Feb 3, 2009 6:18 PM

Apr 2008
Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh.

I can't believe they came up with this deus ex machina explanation and techno/theo-babble solution that was all through out this episode. Sadly, the highlight for me this episode was the comedy at the end with the usual Index 'greeting' at the hospital.
Feb 3, 2009 7:17 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah, that was a bit much. At least the ending of each arc is reliable.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Feb 3, 2009 7:42 PM

Oct 2007
not a big fan of the new op. it's not terrible, but it's definitely worse than the first.

what the heck was this? what was the point of the whole tsuchimikado fight if he was just going to blow up the house anyway? so mischa just happened to get lucky that someone in the world just happened to rearrange their souvenirs in the perfect way? does index do anything anymore besides show up at the end of arcs to glomp on touma? how am i still watching this show?

this is the only show i've ever seen that will purposely ruin a fight scene by weighing it down with ridiculous and unnecessary exposition.

what a waste of an arc... another one that is.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» So, Where is Index 4?

BerriesSan - Apr 14

2 by BerriesSan »»
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cabaret - Mar 18, 2009

279 by R2Doucebag »»
Mar 27, 8:18 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

AkariChan - Feb 5, 2009

155 by 8iman »»
Jan 14, 3:53 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 29, 2008

205 by DebiPS »»
Jan 11, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Index - probably the most annoying character ever. ( 1 2 )

Rodaa - Jan 24, 2014

74 by Kayfee »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.