Forum Settings
Forums

New Season of 'Aikatsu' to Start in October 2013

New
Aug 17, 2013 7:14 AM

Sep 2012
According to the official website of anime "Aikatsu", a new series of the anime will start from October 3rd to launch the Aikatsu 2014 Series project. The story will involve the rise of a new idol school named "Dream Academy" which poses a threat to Ichigo, Aoi and Ran, the main characters from the current series. There will be two new characters from "Dream Academy": Otoshiro Seira (voiced by Ishihara Kaori), a new cool-looking idol who has absolute pitch and loves rock music, and Saegusa Kii, (voiced by Chuna), a brainy girl who is taking the producing course. A range of merchandise including trading cards, games, toys, clothes, candies, CDs, and books will follow.

Official anime website: http://www.aikatsu.com/newseries/newseries01.html

Merchandise information from Bandai: http://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000034.000000773.html

PV:

Source: Official Aikatsu website
KinetaJan 14, 2014 6:10 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 17, 2013 7:18 AM

Dec 2012
Sunrise is on a roll with idols :D
Aug 17, 2013 7:18 AM

Jan 2013
hm by seeing MAL ratings on this, I didn't think it would have sold a lot to get another season. oh well

Aug 17, 2013 7:22 AM

Dec 2012
destonyDbaby said:
hm by seeing MAL ratings on this, I didn't think it would have sold a lot to get another season. oh well

MAL rating is irrelevant in Japan. btw, this is what it sells

A range of merchandise including games, toys, clothes, candies, CDs and books will follow.
Aug 17, 2013 7:24 AM

Sep 2012
destonyDbaby said:
It is the merchandise sales that counts !!!

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 17, 2013 7:36 AM

Apr 2010
destonyDbaby said:

Its a kids show that the majority of Westerners wouldn't care bout. Precure also gets low reviews here yet its lasted for 10 years now.

Aug 17, 2013 7:39 AM

Apr 2011
I'm lovin' it!
Yay~

Wee!
Aug 17, 2013 7:41 AM

Sep 2009
what
Aug 17, 2013 7:46 AM

Sep 2012
Sure to be one of my favorites this fall.

I'd have liked at least a season break, but I'm so happy about this. ^^
Aug 17, 2013 7:46 AM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:
Its a kids show that the majority of Westerners wouldn't care bout. Precure also gets low reviews here yet its lasted for 10 years now.
And like PreCure, Aikatsu also seems to be able to attract quite a number of grown-up fans. I would say that a significant portion of its higher than expected disc sales, at around 2-3k, could have been bought by them.

Aug 17, 2013 7:48 AM

Nov 2008
RyanSaotome said:
destonyDbaby said:

Precure has a cult following here though

Aug 17, 2013 7:53 AM
Jun 2013
symbv said:
And like PreCure, Aikatsu also seems to be able to attract quite a number of grown-up fans. I would say that a significant portion of its higher than expected disc sales, at around 2-3k, could have been bought by them.

I think the reasons it managed to attract grown-up fans are mature writing, decent plot development, likeable characters and great music.
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.
Aug 17, 2013 7:59 AM

Sep 2012
PV for the trading card + game Data Carddass system for the new series

Aug 17, 2013 8:06 AM

Nov 2007
Does "データカードダス アイカツ!" romanized as "Data Card Dasu Aikatsu!" ("Dasu is the one I'm not sure... "Das? Dasu? etc."? I'm not sure the correct title.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 17, 2013 8:07 AM
Jun 2013
tsubasalover said:
Does "データカードダス アイカツ!" romanized as "Data Card Dasu Aikatsu!" ? I'm not sure the correct title.

It's "Data Carddass Aikatsu!".
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.
Aug 17, 2013 8:11 AM

Oct 2007
I just figured I'd mention that Aikatsu is really weird for an idol kids show and probably not what most people would expect. There's an episode for example where the girls have to go into the woods and chop down a red wood with an axe and their bare hands as part of stamina training. Also you can't underestimate the appeal of a show to an otaku where the characters are practically in a new outfit with a new song and dance number every single episode for like 50 straight. It also doesn't look half bad for a 50 episode TV series let alone a kids show. Definitely above the Toei standard.

Anyway at this rate Sunrise is going to be known as the idol studio more than the mech studio as they seem to be having a lot of success here with a hit show for older otaku in Love Live and a hit show for kids with Aikatsu! If only they could appeal to kids with Gundam the same way they apparently have with Aikatsu and get that audience sowed up maybe we could get back to getting another more mature Gundam TV series.

Anyway it would surprise me if this show drew an adult audience somewhere, especially after Ran was introduced.
Aug 17, 2013 8:14 AM

Sep 2012
tsubasalover said:
Does "データカードダス アイカツ!" romanized as "Data Card Dasu Aikatsu!" ("Dasu is the one I'm not sure... "Das? Dasu? etc."? I'm not sure the correct title.
You can see how they translate the katakana into English at the beginning of the video I posted. It is written as "Data Carddass" so it is the official and correct title to use.
symbvAug 17, 2013 8:18 AM

Aug 17, 2013 8:17 AM

Nov 2008
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I just figured I'd mention that Aikatsu is really weird for an idol kids show and probably not what most people would expect. There's an episode for example where the girls have to go into the woods and chop down a red wood with an axe and their bare hands as part of stamina training. Also you can't underestimate the appeal of a show to an otaku where the characters are practically in a new outfit with a new song and dance number every single episode for like 50 straight. It also doesn't look half bad for a 50 episode TV series let alone a kids show. Definitely above the Toei standard.

Anyway at this rate Sunrise is going to be known as the idol studio more than the mech studio as they seem to be having a lot of success here with a hit show for older otaku in Love Live and a hit show for kids with Aikatsu! If only they could appeal to kids with Gundam the same way they apparently have with Aikatsu and get that audience sowed up maybe we could get back to getting another more mature Gundam TV series.

Anyway it would surprise me if this show drew an adult audience somewhere, especially after Ran was introduced.

I wouldn't mind Sunrise being mostly an idol studio since that's where the hits are, Gundam cannot be marketed to kids properly these days, the attempts tend to be mediocre and impress no one. They should stick to mecha for mature audiences when they decide animate them.

Aug 17, 2013 8:23 AM

Mar 2010
I was really hoping for new songs :)
Aug 17, 2013 8:23 AM

Jun 2009
So happy to hear about the 2nd season being confirmed! Can't wait! :D
Aug 17, 2013 8:28 AM

Nov 2007
murazrai said:
It's "Data Carddass Aikatsu!".

symbv said:
You can see how they translate the katakana into English at the beginning of the video I posted. It is written as "Data Carddass" so it is the official and correct title to use.

Oh, ok. Thanks. I didn't watch the PV.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 17, 2013 8:35 AM

Nov 2010
Aikatsu is an enjoyable show. I don't mind it going for a while. Was kinda looking forward to how it would end though.
Aug 17, 2013 8:36 AM

Dec 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:

It's the "get them when they are young strategy." With the Gundam series, Sunrise has captured a generations of Mecha watchers and I'm not surprise if they are doing the same thing with idols. This time, the main audience is young girls since Idols in Japan are like Barbie in the West.

Young girl --> Idols
Young boy --> Robots

That's how you create an empire. Historically, kid idol market has been left for Toei with the Precure series, but now it looks like Sunrise is moving in. In the adult's front, there is Idolm@ster and the new Wake up girls by Mr.Ego Yamakan. So the competition is very fierce; and whether Sunrise can capture this fertile market is remained to be seen.
Aug 17, 2013 8:38 AM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:
In the adult's front, there is Idolm@ster and the new Wake up girls by Mr.Ego Yamakan.
Can't believe you kept in Yamakan but left out Love Live ! LOL

Aug 17, 2013 8:40 AM

Dec 2012
symbv said:
ThangLong said:
In the adult's front, there is Idolm@ster and the new Wake up girls by Mr.Ego Yamakan.
Can't believe you kept in Yamakan but left out Love Live ! LOL

haha, I'm talking in the perspective of Sunrise looking at the market :)
Aug 17, 2013 8:51 AM
Jul 2013
ThangLong said:
destonyDbaby said:

MAL rating is irrelevant in Japan. btw, this is what it sells

A range of merchandise including games, toys, clothes, candies, CDs and books will follow.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Aug 17, 2013 9:28 AM
May 2013
Pretty Rhythm, Jewel Pet, Precure then Aikatsu... -_-

what else? -_-
Aug 17, 2013 9:33 AM

Oct 2007
ThangLong said:
In the adult's front, there is Idolm@ster and the new Wake up girls by Mr.Ego Yamakan. So the competition is very fierce; and whether Sunrise can capture this fertile market is remained to be seen.

They say it's always the middle of the road people with specialized talents/visions and who have a little popularity but have yet to truly strike it big and get their name out their firmly in the consciousness of the public that have the biggest egos in entertainment and Yamakan is kind of no exception. Other than all the bluster he brings with him to nearly every project I'd swear his only claim to fame and real mainstream penetration still so far to date was that Hare Hare Yukai craze way back in 2006. I continue to be amused by his quest to "save anime" (though maybe he gave up on that nonsensical claim already) by essentially doing what everyone else is doing and hopping on whatever trend is currently popular.

If he had more of a genuinely creative imagination instead of just insisting that he does and bemoaning peoples lack of gravitating to his shows then I think he'd get further, but he's more of a take what's already popular and try to make his own version of it kind of guy. That's only going to get you so far.

In general though there's a lot more boasting within the industry than I ever remember their being before over some pretty questionable achievements. I think Aniplex has kind of become the worst for this as they tend to boast and make these big promises about how every show they do is going to revolutionize anime before anything is even on the table.
PeacingOutAug 17, 2013 9:41 AM
Aug 17, 2013 10:29 AM

Jul 2012
KuriShim0 said:
Pretty Rhythm, Jewel Pet, Precure then Aikatsu... -_-

what else? -_-

Why the -_- face? It's not like it affects you or anything.

I need to watch this soon, it looks so cute and fun and fluffifull.
Aug 17, 2013 10:54 AM

Mar 2009
Should of seen this coming. Well, I've enjoyed the series so this is welcomed news.
Aug 17, 2013 11:01 AM

Oct 2011
ThangLong said:
That's how you create an empire. Historically, kid idol market has been left for Toei with the Precure series, but now it looks like Sunrise is moving in. In the adult's front, there is Idolm@ster and the new Wake up girls by Mr.Ego Yamakan. So the competition is very fierce; and whether Sunrise can capture this fertile market is remained to be seen.
But Precure isn't kid idol show (as in: they sing, become stars and so on) but classical magical girls.

And Toei seems to dominate here: Sailor Moon, Doremi, Precure and once more Sailor Moon. With no competition from Sunrise - still since both have financial backing of Bandai it's understandable.
Aug 17, 2013 11:03 AM
Dec 2008
Sticking with Love Live XD
Aug 17, 2013 11:42 AM

Apr 2011
I have seriously got to get started on this.
Aug 17, 2013 11:48 AM

Dec 2012
Dalek-baka said:
ThangLong said:
But Precure isn't kid idol show (as in: they sing, become stars and so on) but classical magical girls.

Sorry, I should have said it better, but what I meant is kid idol market was largely untapped since Precure with its Mahou Shoujo is getting all the attentions. Surise moving in will send a message "hey kids, instead of being a magical girl, you can be idol too" :)

And Toei seems to dominate here: Sailor Moon, Doremi, Precure and once more Sailor Moon. With no competition from Sunrise - still since both have financial backing of Bandai it's understandable.

I thought Toei Animation is its own studio financed by Toei Company, not Bandai?
Aug 17, 2013 12:55 PM

Oct 2011
ThangLong said:
Sorry, I should have said it better, but what I meant is kid idol market was largely untapped since Precure with its Mahou Shoujo is getting all the attentions. Surise moving in will send a message "hey kids, instead of being a magical girl, you can be idol too" :)
Actually I think that their message might be: "hey kids, you don't want to be magical girl? who not becoming idols?"
So going for another target group and source of income - Aikatsu is first of all game and toys seem to be secondary.

Earlier also there was Pretty Rhythm and probably few others that are unknown in the West.
ThangLong said:
I thought Toei Animation is its own studio financed by Toei Company, not Bandai?
TA is own by Toei and Asashi TV (Bandai is minor shareholder).
But except Gundam and Aikatsu, franchises that bring them most money are One Piece, DragonBall and Precure. And Bandai is one of companies that finance those.
Aug 17, 2013 1:18 PM

Jul 2009
wouldve like more love live instead
Aug 17, 2013 1:21 PM

Sep 2012
Kurogashi said:
wouldve like more love live instead
It's both. They both get a second season. Which is good for me. <3
Aug 17, 2013 1:28 PM
May 2012
Is this anime good??
Aug 17, 2013 1:48 PM

Sep 2012
Tengai said:
Is this anime good??
I think it's pretty good with it's target audience, and it seems to have somewhat gained the same kind of periphery demographic Precure has. (I should know, I'm not actually a girl)

I actually like the pace and build up this has a lot more than the shorter idol anime. Which is strange, since I normally like shorter anime more.

I can't really say about what the majority of watchers think though, since it's doesn't seem to be popular on the internet.
Aug 17, 2013 1:55 PM

Jul 2008
Fuck yeah.
Aug 17, 2013 2:34 PM
Feb 2011
Why a 2nd season? I forced myself to watch the first and now a second without a break?! :D

Btw., I still think StarAnis sounds like a drug^^
Aug 17, 2013 3:44 PM

Apr 2012
I never watched past the first episode of season one but I think I might just to have something else to watch during fall.

In other news Sunrise is on a roll.
Aug 17, 2013 3:53 PM

Jul 2010
#!$% yeah!
Aug 17, 2013 5:20 PM

Aug 2013
Awesome ^_^ Oct. 3 2013 or 2014?
"You sing do,I sing re,You sing re, I sing mi,whatever you sing I will always be higher!"
– Seira
Aug 17, 2013 5:54 PM

Aug 2013
SonicBoom0 said:
Kiriya-Ella said:
Awesome ^_^ Oct. 3 2013 or 2014?

2013, just as the first season ends.

Yay :D
"You sing do,I sing re,You sing re, I sing mi,whatever you sing I will always be higher!"
– Seira
Aug 17, 2013 6:15 PM

Sep 2009
not surprising. Show that are aim at young girl usually go alot longer then most of the Young boy show. Precure, Pretty Rhythm, Jewelpets and this are the main show aim at girls.

Although I watch almost everyone of them except jewelpets. and im a 28 yrs old man.
Aug 17, 2013 8:01 PM

Dec 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I just figured I'd mention that Aikatsu is really weird for an idol kids show and probably not what most people would expect. There's an episode for example where the girls have to go into the woods and chop down a red wood with an axe and their bare hands as part of stamina training. Also you can't underestimate the appeal of a show to an otaku where the characters are practically in a new outfit with a new song and dance number every single episode for like 50 straight.

There' one problem with that....
It does have a new outfit every 5 episodes or so. But the songs and he dancing.... It takes from 6 to 7 episodes to change (with only a few with aonce-ever-apereance)
Aug 18, 2013 12:29 AM

Apr 2011
Haryomu said:
Why a 2nd season? I forced myself to watch the first and now a second without a break?! :D

Drop it. Is it really that difficult? Why are you even forcing yourself to watch the first season if you don't like it? Is someone paying you? I seriously don't understand this type of mentality.
Aug 18, 2013 4:42 AM

Sep 2012
yhunata said:
Haryomu said:

Drop it. Is it really that difficult? Why are you even forcing yourself to watch the first season if you don't like it? Is someone paying you? I seriously don't understand this type of mentality.
A score of 7 doesn't sound like he's not enjoying it. I didn't even get the feeling that that was what he meant before I even looked at his list. The emoticon kinda threw me off that he may have actually been liking it.
Aug 18, 2013 5:13 AM

Oct 2012
Note to self: watch "Aikatsu" soon.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

23 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
6 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.