Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Another (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 16, 2013 5:55 PM
Jul 2013
I've been wanting to watch this forever because it's produced by Angel Beats! studio, and it looks so gorgeous and exotic, but the reviews almost make me resist it.

Nihon Review: 4/10
THEM Anime Reviews: 1/5
Glass Mirror Reviews: 5/10
Anime News Network: A-

Did you like it though?
Aug 17, 2013 12:03 AM

Oct 2012

This directly contradicts your argument.

And people have said this time and time again. Don't let other people's opinions influence what you want to watch, especially from reviews and if you haven't known about the anime before. And generally, professional critics are much harsher than critics here on MAL, so low scores for most anime are to be expected.
Aug 17, 2013 12:07 AM
Apr 2013
To OP, arent you supposed to meet your special someone today or tomorrow? No preparation or whatsoever?
Aug 17, 2013 12:10 AM
Jun 2012
I agree with MCsq2.

Experience the anime for yourself and see how you feel about it after a few episodes. Don't let anything stand in your way to prevent you from watching something you believe you would enjoy.
You never know.
Aug 17, 2013 12:10 AM

Nov 2011
It's entertaining, the characters are ok, the plot is original but is not very deep, although it has a good development.

Watch it, but don't hope too much.
I luv u
Aug 17, 2013 12:12 AM

Sep 2012
If you liked the movie "Final Destination", then you will like this.
Aug 17, 2013 12:16 AM

Sep 2012
Yes this anime sucks harder than a vacuum cleaner on its maximum output/sarcasm

But Seriously Mr. Op everytime I see you, you are making a thread about
1.This anime is that great?
2.This anime is really that bad?
3.Is it Best drama/etc?

Most of the time your questions are about one cour anime.Can't you try watching it before asking.I can understand if it is a long show like GINTAMA(I am not sure about it myself I should watch it or not) but everytime making threads about 12 ep anime?
Aug 24, 2013 9:37 PM
Aug 2013
Saw it last night, hated it, 3/10.

Reasons are spoilerish but they're similar to the complaints in the THEM review:

Oct 6, 2013 4:22 AM

Oct 2013
Meh~
Still love it eventhough that's OTHERS review.
People have different tastes so be it.

"Hello."

Oct 6, 2013 4:24 AM

Aug 2012
Raito said:
Beware of umbrellas, elevators, chandeliers, and pillars.

Oh, and death.

Beware of death.

Yup.
Oct 6, 2013 4:24 AM

Dec 2012
I liked it. At the start it did a pretty good job at being creepy and suspenseful. The ending was kind of bleh but the show was a fun watch.

MellowJello said:
Raito said:
Beware of umbrellas, elevators, chandeliers, and pillars.

ObjurgoOct 6, 2013 4:59 AM
Oct 6, 2013 4:34 AM

Mar 2013
Oct 6, 2013 5:55 PM

Oct 2013
Sakana-san said:

That totally! *^*

"Hello."

Oct 6, 2013 6:04 PM

Aug 2013
MCsq2 said:

And people have said this time and time again. Don't let other people's opinions influence what you want to watch, especially from reviews and if you haven't known about the anime before. And generally, professional critics are much harsher than critics here on MAL, so low scores for most anime are to be expected.

This.
Whenever I go into an anime, I try to look past the hype and look at it face value. For example, a lot of critics hate on Code Geass R2, and though I understand where they're coming from, I fucking love it.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Oct 7, 2013 5:58 PM

May 2013
I'll say what everyone has said in a different way. True, you shouldn't rely on what others say when considering whether or not to watch an anime. More importantly, the aspects of most anime you will like may actually be aspects that many other people hate about that anime! Oftentimes you will fall in love with a story not only for it's pros, but also for its cons! That's how I felt with Another: technically speaking I wouldn't give it more than the current MAL rating. However, the faults were a good part of the experience with this one, at least for me. You should watch it if you haven't already, it is worth finding out for yourself how good the anime is.
Oct 20, 2013 1:43 AM

Sep 2013
I gave it a 6/10. Characters acted too unrealistically and alot of the "creepiness" were just random dolls and Final Destination deaths. I was not scared or creeped out at all throughout the series.
Would have given it a 5/10 but there was a pretty good plot twist shown in the end so i bumped it up.
End Note: Don't expect anything great from this anime or you'll be disappointed but at the same time its not horrible. I don't regret watching it.
Oct 20, 2013 9:45 PM
Apr 2013
Don't ever look at the ratings to determine if an anime is good or not. Just give it a shot, but don't watch it at night.

Oct 28, 2013 9:01 AM

Aug 2009
My opinion:
If you actually like scary movies/series, then you'll be very disappointed, because basically this series is "Horror for beginners": There's no subtlety in the execution. If you at least know some horror movies, most of the time you'll be just like: "Oh my god, really? Come on, you're kidding me!!" and the final conclusion is just as bad.
So imho, as a horror show, this series is a total failure (better watch Higurashi or something like that instead).
Oct 29, 2013 12:27 AM

Mar 2012
Another is pretty solid.

However, this is one of those series that you're either going to really love or really hate. It's not scary, so if you're watching it for horror, you're going to be pretty disappointed. But, I will admit that the atmosphere of the series is kinda creepy and mysterious. What hooked me is that I am a big fan of the mystery genre, so that's what kept me coming back every week.

Overall, I loved the atmosphere, great animation, pretty awesome death scenes (albeit, they are somewhat cheesy in regards to practicality), and it does have some pretty good twists. The story is pretty good...although I do get the impression that not everything was completely answered. Still, I actually prefer that. I like the creators leaving enough content up to the imagination of the viewer than do a dry as cardboard explanation of everything. The characters are meh. I'll admit, it's probably one of the weak parts of the series because Mei's cryptic explanations seem somewhat unnecessary and one of the plot twists toward the end had me stating a bland-faced "wut" when it was revealed (not going to spoil it, but let's just say it has to do with Mei's eye).

Call me crazy, but I actually liked Another's ending. While some people claim it's not very conclusive and left quite a bit unanswered about the mystery, I found it unsettling. As the series I ended, I was genuinely creeped out by *warning* this is the end spoiler, so don't read this if you haven't seen the anime
While some might find that unsatisfying, it left me unsettled and I thought that was the whole point of the series. It's supposed to be mysterious and unsettling...and to me, it ended that way. Sure, it didn't answer everything, but that's what I love about mystery. It leaves enough to the imagination of the viewer to fill in the blanks. Now, I'm sure there is going to be some asshole that quotes this and says, "that's just bad writing." If that's how you feel, so be it, but I felt that was the intent of the writer.

Like I said, this is going to be an anime you're either going to love or you're going to hate. I believe if you try and immerse yourself in the series, it's quite enjoyable, but if you get overly critical of the series and get caught up in the flaws of the series, then it's going to be difficult to enjoy. Personally, I loved the series and I'd say it's quite good, but I can't fault you if you don't like it or think it's bad.
Oct 29, 2013 12:42 AM

Mar 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:
I've been wanting to watch this forever because it's produced by Angel Beats! studio, and it looks so gorgeous and exotic, but the reviews almost make me resist it.

Did you like it though?

I'm curious, why did you pick those reviews in particular? Personally, I'd say it's more along the lines of a 7-8/10...I'd say 6 at worst.

Some other popular reviewers (that the MAL community seems to like gave it some better reviews).

Arkada - 6.82/10
Holden - 7.32/10

I wish Gigguk did a review of it, but it appears he didn't. He doesn't even have it listed on his MAL page so I'm not even sure if he has seen it. I just recently watched Cover-By-Cover review of it (they do reviews about the first impressions of the first two episodes of a series) and they highly recommended it.

This just goes back to my original comment. It's a series you're either really going to love or really going to hate. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with it.
Oct 30, 2013 5:09 PM
Aug 2013
Currently watching episode 6.
I would rate it 6/10 or 5/10 atm. It is kind of frustrating to continue watching this anime to be honest.

1. The reason why classmates didn't explain the reason to avoid Misaki is stupid. I mean cmon, just because he talked to her at the beginning, they couldn't say it? okay...

2. The MC is stupid. He says "the charm is stupid and mean" when people are actually dying. What kind of person is he!?!?
Nov 11, 2013 6:53 PM
Sep 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:

Did you like it though?

are you just watching anime because the review is awesome???

Another is Epic!
that's all that i can say
Nov 12, 2013 1:14 AM

Nov 2009
By no means did I find it bad. I enjoyed it and thought that it was good, but not great. It has nice artwork and I think the atmosphere was portrayed well. My problem was that I was super hyped for this and it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I'm still glad I watched it though.
Bles-Feb 21, 2017 2:07 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Another Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jenanime - Jan 9, 2012

476 by Tucefull »»
Apr 15, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sir_Lexa - Jan 30, 2012

537 by Jaakusameyumi »»
Apr 11, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2012

1042 by Fanerogame »»
Mar 28, 9:05 AM

» Well, this ending was a bit ass. Very mixed opinions.

TrhlaSlecna - Jan 10

25 by TrhlaSlecna »»
Feb 21, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2012

341 by JoJo_Enjoyerr »»
Feb 19, 12:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.