Forum Settings
Forums

Do you agree with vegetarian's reasons to be vegetarian?

New
Aug 15, 2013 5:25 PM

Aug 2012
We once had a discusison like this, but well, people go, people come back... So we can have it again. But this will have a different focus. Are vegetarians right at not eating meat? "Because it harms animals"? Or "It tastes bad"?

It harms animals

My food can run for its life. If I am trying to kill a fox, the fox can run and escape. But can your precious vegatables run? No! They will cry, wanting to start running, but the imminent death will strike them instantly. They will get their head ripped off and will be eaten. A sad destiny, as they can't even fight for what they want.

It tastes bad

You must be a jerk for not liking meat's taste. I mean, some people are starving to death, they would give anything for meat, and you have it and despise it? If it tasted bad, I would understand, but this is NOT a matter of opinion: Meat is good, healthy if consumed not daily and it does not taste bad enough for refusing to eat it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 15, 2013 5:27 PM

Mar 2011
You are such a silly goose.

Those precious vegetables want nothing more than to be eaten. It is their reason for existence, and you'd deny them that? You are the bastard for putting them on the same level as animals. Plants serve their higher purpose, unlike you.
Aug 15, 2013 5:29 PM

Apr 2013
can you just make an interesting, non-judgemental thread for once?
Aug 15, 2013 5:30 PM
Jul 2018
If the person has a medical condition and can't eat meat, then sure.
Otherwise, it's pointless.
Aug 15, 2013 5:31 PM

Mar 2013
Those are reasons they give for not eating meat. I'm pretty sure they really just enjoy feeling as though they're on a moral high ground.
"I once sent a dozen of my friends a telegram saying 'flee at once - all is discovered.' They all left town immediately."-Mark Twain
Aug 15, 2013 5:34 PM
May 2012
What. As a Nihilist, there is no "right" or "wrong".

Humans are animals, animals eat other animals. Nature.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Aug 15, 2013 5:39 PM

Jul 2013
If I go to a store and buy some ground beef, than by a vegetarians standpoint it will try and run away. It has no legs, but will grab a knife and turn me into a hamburger. Anime teaches us a lot. The things you learn ~
Pikachu wants some
Aug 15, 2013 5:43 PM

May 2013
InfiniteRufus said:
You are such a silly goose.

You're a silly goose. I want you to be eaten.
Aug 15, 2013 5:48 PM

Aug 2012
Guiz, veggies have feelings too~
Aug 15, 2013 5:52 PM

May 2011
just mind your own business and leave the vegetarian to their own devices xD maybe they don't want to see animals get hurt ;)
Aug 15, 2013 5:59 PM

Aug 2013
Personally I don't agree with vegetarianism, but I respect their decision nonetheless; it takes a certain degree of dedication to become one, and I can usually understand where they're coming from when they explain their reasons. Just let them do their thing and be happy about it.
Aug 15, 2013 6:09 PM
Aug 2010
lupadim said:
We once had a discusison like this, but well, people go, people come back... So we can have it again. But this will have a different focus. Are vegetarians right at not eating meat? "Because it harms animals"? Or "It tastes bad"?

It harms animals

My food can run for its life. If I am trying to kill a fox, the fox can run and escape. But can your precious vegatables run? No! They will cry, wanting to start running, but the imminent death will strike them instantly. They will get their head ripped off and will be eaten. A sad destiny, as they can't even fight for what they want.

Vegetables don't have a nervous system making them capable of suffering or desire.

My main reason for sympathising with vegetarianism is that research goes in only one direction: meat is bad for your health. Not only in and of itself but also accounting for the conditions wherein it is produced. Examples abound in academia and over the Internet, here are a few:
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/17/science/la-sci-sn-red-meat-diabetes-20130617
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/11/health/study-finds-an-increase-in-arsenic-levels-in-chicken.html?_r=1&
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/04/25/gut-bugs-are-implicated-in-heart-attacks-and-stroke/

I don't think that banning meat altogether from your diet is necessarily the best option, but I dropped a lot of meat in favour of fish and vegetables.

Whether meat tastes good or bad is a matter of preferences. Empathy can also influence your perception of taste and I find your rebuttal to the taste argument particularly hypocritical-- most meat eaters would be disgusted if given dog for dinner, because of their empathy for the species. Yet dogs are not much cleverer than pigs.

I don't have a fixed view on the morality of harming animals, but I do hold the view that very little distinguishes objectively harming pigs and dogs. I am conflicted overall: on the one hand, animals do not have the requirements to take part of in a moral system-- they do feel empathy to an extent, but they will never be able to fulfil their side's obligations of the moral contract. On the other, it might not necessarily matter; causing suffering harms universal well-being, and most arguments in favour of killing inferior species sound a lot like hypocritical rationalisation.

Aug 15, 2013 6:41 PM

Oct 2012
no because i dont care if other people are vegetarians
RRRRRRRRRR
Aug 15, 2013 6:50 PM

Jul 2011
I dont care if they dont like meat because it doesnt taste good or because they dont like eating animals, its not my life or choice

And fyi there are animals raised in gross factories their entire lives that end up on your plate, they cant "run for their lives" if theyre in danger

And sure poor people will eat whatever food they can get ....... that doesnt mean they like everything they eat? If you have a choice not to eat meat because you dont like it and can afford that, then why not...
UAAug 15, 2013 6:54 PM
Aug 15, 2013 7:15 PM

Oct 2012
Let the people do what the people want to do, or whom the people want to do
Aug 15, 2013 7:20 PM

Nov 2012
More for us am I right

But seriously I respect their decision but why not eat pigs at least
They don't do shit except roll around in mud and be zombie bait
Aug 16, 2013 12:03 AM

Jun 2009
Topic Cleaned
If you are going to post, post on topic.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 16, 2013 12:04 AM

Oct 2010
if it can get eaten it shall get eaten
dont ask questions, just do answers
Aug 16, 2013 4:45 AM

Jul 2012
It is funny how people like to talk on a subject that they have absolutely no knowledge on.

I am a vegetarian myself, but I disagree with the reasons of what I like to think is the minority of vegetarians.
I notice a lot of people who become vegetarian treat it as some sort of healthy fad diet, and whilst a vegetarian diet is healthier than eating meat, they’re completely ignorant on the matter & think being a vegetarian involves eating salad for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Then you have the hippy, tree-hugging types (vegans actually), some of which seem to have made the choice because they believe it makes them superior or whatever.

I'm a vegetarian because it's far healthier than eating meat; I don’t do it to feel superior, however when people display such ignorance and actually believe that eating meat is healthier for you, it makes me superior by default.
Idle_HandsAug 16, 2013 4:49 AM
Konbu is important
Aug 16, 2013 4:49 AM

Dec 2012
Sourire said:
can you just make an interesting, non-judgemental thread for once?

This

Every thread just screams "GIVE ME ATTENTION PLS"

Aug 16, 2013 5:11 AM

May 2013
No I don't. Meat is required in the body. Though vegetables have some protein, still it wont beat how much protein does a meat give, with that alone, a vegetarian is nothing but a foolish fallacy. THOUGH!!! You may eat foods MOSTLY vegetables, but never ever forget to eat even a matchbox size of meat everyday, at the very least.
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Aug 16, 2013 5:26 AM

Jul 2012
pauro19 said:
No I don't. Meat is required in the body. Though vegetables have some protein, still it wont beat how much protein does a meat give, with that alone, a vegetarian is nothing but a foolish fallacy. THOUGH!!! You may eat foods MOSTLY vegetables, but never ever forget to eat even a matchbox size of meat everyday, at the very least.

SuperHands said:
It is funny how people like to talk on a subject that they have absolutely no knowledge on.
Konbu is important
Aug 16, 2013 5:32 AM

May 2013
SuperHands said:
pauro19 said:

SuperHands said:

Go get some research. And prove me wrong. I'm a medical professional, so it's impossible for me not to have knowledge about diet. Just so you know.
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Aug 16, 2013 6:04 AM
Mar 2013
I don't really know, all the vegans I know harp about in on facebook like they're somehow saints to animals. I once had to babysit two 15 year olds going through a vegan phase, absolutely awful, I thought a salad was safe but all the dressings in the house apparently had fish oil in them.
Aug 16, 2013 7:45 AM

Jun 2012
pauro19 said:
SuperHands said:
pauro19 said:

SuperHands said:

Go get some research. And prove me wrong. I'm a medical professional, so it's impossible for me not to have knowledge about diet. Just so you know.

>I'm a medical professional

I am not surprised. When I think "Medical professional" the very first thing I think of is malpractice, or some jackass who got by in college who should have never gotten into the field. It's possible for a "medical professional" to know a shockingly small amount about the field they're supposedly trained in, more so than many people without formal education in it.

"Medical professionals" seem to have an extremely hard time accepting the fact that someone without formal education in medicine might be right on a matter regarding medicine and they might be wrong. They seem to have an extremely hard time comprehending that people not having a formal education in medicine does not mean they know nothing about it, or that even if they don't actually know more, they can't be correct on a certain matter and you could be wrong. Get used to this, and accept it, or else just keep being an arrogant ass your whole life and making patients hate you once you show them enough disrespect.

I seriously don't know of any other profession where that doctrine is so strong. If you talk to someone with a degree in computer science, almost all of them will admit that people without any formal training in technology could know more than them about technology, or work as equals right next to them. This is because it does happen all the time, "professional" computer scientists and people without formal education working on the same projects together correcting eachother's code is not uncommon. However if you talk to a "medical professional", for some odd reason they have the asinine belief that no one but people with a degree can know anything about the medical field, or that they're something special who knows something no one without the same degree or better could know, which is complete bullshit.

If what you are saying was true I'd be dead, the fact I am alive disproves your argument. Why would you even make a claim that could so easily be proved wrong? What are you anyway, a registered nurse?
CazeAug 16, 2013 8:17 AM
Aug 16, 2013 7:48 AM

Aug 2012
I don't care about the reasons people use to become a vegetarian, and I don't care if they are a vegetarian.

Don't shove your agenda down my throat and we'll be good.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Aug 16, 2013 8:53 AM

Apr 2013
lupadim said:
Are vegetarians right at not eating meat? "Because it harms animals"? Or "It tastes bad"?

It's not for me to say, personally I tend to avoid fish because I hate picking out the bones. When it comes to diet I'm lazy, if it tastes good and isn't too much of a pain in the ass to cook I'll get it.

I'm not going to become a vegetarian but if they ever made lab grown meat that tastes in any way as good and has a convincing meaty texture I'd have no hang ups about making a switch.
Aug 16, 2013 9:27 AM

Aug 2012
pauro19 said:
SuperHands said:
pauro19 said:

SuperHands said:

You are a medical professional and you are 23 years old? That is impossible, you would still be on college, so yes, we found the first lie.

And if you doubt: Let's say you finish school at 16 years old. Medical college requires 8 years of study (at least on Brazil), so you'd be medic at 24 years (minimum). I may have spelled "college" wrong, but whatever.

You are NOT a medic, and if you really are one, I don't see how a medic can tell someone "Eat a matchbox size of meat everyday", that would definitely kill someone. Meat should be eaten moderately (except fish, chicken and those others)
Aug 16, 2013 9:32 AM

Jun 2013
lupadim said:
I mean, some people are starving to death

You're telling them to screw carbohydrates, huh. Now you're just being a dick.

If you only love meat, become gay and choke on it. Stay a myopic dork and ignorant of all the other wonderful foodstuffs.
Aug 16, 2013 9:38 AM

Aug 2012
Jyupita said:
lupadim said:

If you only love meat, become gay and choke on it. Stay a myopic dork and ignorant of all the other wonderful foodstuffs.

You are throwing those shitty arguments on purpose, right?
Aug 16, 2013 9:40 AM
May 2012
I'm a vegetable :v

But no, srsly. Have you err thought some people CAN'T eat meat?
Aug 16, 2013 9:45 AM

Aug 2012
Sophilia said:

Those people are not vegetarians, they simply can't eat meat. In my opinion, vegetarian is an ideology (even through I know it is not, it should be considered an ideology)
Aug 16, 2013 9:46 AM

Jun 2013
lupadim said:
Jyupita said:
lupadim said:

Of course. You didn't offer a rebuttal, meaning it was easier for you to say something ad hominem than on topic.
Aug 16, 2013 9:49 AM
May 2012
lupadim said:
Sophilia said:

Those people are not vegetarians, they simply can't eat meat. In my opinion, vegetarian is an ideology (even through I know it is not, it should be considered an ideology)

Vegetarians' reasons aren't limited to a certain idealogy other than refraining from eating meat :/
If someone is unable to eat meat, how does it invalidate them as a vegetarian :/
Aug 16, 2013 9:50 AM

Aug 2012
Jyupita said:
lupadim said:
Jyupita said:
lupadim said:

Of course. You didn't offer a rebuttal, meaning it was easier for you to say something ad hominem than on topic.

Now you are going to use complex words because I am not USA native.
Aug 16, 2013 9:51 AM

Apr 2013
pauro19 said:
SuperHands said:
pauro19 said:

SuperHands said:

meat is not required for the body, you're spouting BS.
Aug 16, 2013 9:51 AM
May 2012
lupadim said:
Jyupita said:
lupadim said:
Jyupita said:
lupadim said:

What is google
Aug 16, 2013 9:52 AM

Jun 2013
lupadim said:

Neither am I.

Actually, why post another thread about the same thing?

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=608365&show=0
Aug 16, 2013 9:53 AM

Nov 2012
lupadim said:
pauro19 said:
SuperHands said:
pauro19 said:

SuperHands said:

You are a medical professional and you are 23 years old? That is impossible, you would still be on college, so yes, we found the first lie.

And if you doubt: Let's say you finish school at 16 years old. Medical college requires 8 years of study (at least on Brazil), so you'd be medic at 24 years (minimum). I may have spelled "college" wrong, but whatever.

You are NOT a medic, and if you really are one, I don't see how a medic can tell someone "Eat a matchbox size of meat everyday", that would definitely kill someone. Meat should be eaten moderately (except fish, chicken and those others)

Hes a nurse (3-4 years of study) just thought i'd clear that up for you.
Does it really take 8 years of study to become a medic in Brazil?
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Aug 16, 2013 9:55 AM
Jan 2013
I swear, whenever I see a thread that's started by lupadim. It's bound to have like 2-5 pages.
Aug 16, 2013 10:14 AM

Mar 2012
I think being against the unethical treatment of animals is as good a reason as any to be a vegetarian. Of course, if that's your only quarrel with meat, you could always just eat free range meat.

Another "good" reason ("good," because no one actually needs justification) would be to help combat climate change.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 16, 2013 2:29 PM

Oct 2012
lpfManiak said:
I dropped a lot of meat in favour of fish....
lol
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 16, 2013 2:39 PM

Apr 2011
Oh he's back.
Aug 16, 2013 2:46 PM

Jan 2013
"I'm on a diet". That's a shit reason for being a vegetarian.

"It harms animals" Pfft. They're already dead.

"I'm just protesting against the harm and abuse of animals". You're either eating the meat or it's going rotten and thrown in the trash.

"I'm an attention whore" ZING!
Aug 16, 2013 2:49 PM

Nov 2012
TonyTin said:

"I'm just protesting against the harm and abuse of animals". You're either eating the meat or it's going rotten and thrown in the trash.

"I'm an attention whore" ZING!

Not all vegetarians boast about it, claiming that just makes you look like an ass.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Aug 16, 2013 3:08 PM

Apr 2011
I don't agree with their opinions but I don't really care what people eat. "YOU'RE MISSING OUT" is what I usually say, with a happy face of course.

I don't claim this to be a reasonable argument in any way, but I've always thought "Do you think the animals give a crap about what they eat?"
Aug 16, 2013 3:20 PM

Mar 2012
TonyTin said:
No one says that.

Wrong.

Wrong.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 16, 2013 3:22 PM

May 2013
Vegetarians?

Aug 16, 2013 3:23 PM

Apr 2013
As long as you're not hurting anyone, who the fuck cares?
an egomaniac and a fool

Aug 16, 2013 3:25 PM

Aug 2012
I never understood the distinction between "meat" and "fish"

It's flesh from a fucking animal. That's called meat.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

24 by MeanMrMusician »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 1 hour ago

6 by MeanMrMusician »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - 8 hours ago

8 by DoctorWasabi »»
24 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

674 by Hitagi__Furude »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 5 hours ago

16 by L0bsterman »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.