Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 27, 2013 11:52 PM

Nov 2012
My word Rena is badass! So this is the only OVA? Doesn't feel over at all, won't they continue it?

Sep 28, 2013 8:52 AM

Aug 2013
I thought someone said it would be three OVA's
Sep 28, 2013 2:06 PM

Apr 2013
Okay I lost my sh*t at dear you, I'm crying damn too much right now.
So it'll be only one OVA after all huh?
It was pretty good.
Sep 28, 2013 5:14 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Well, I hope they continue the story in the future.

For now, it's over. That's it lol.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 29, 2013 11:25 AM

May 2011
Ok, i am extremely disappointed with this OVA. When the fuck did Rena and Keichii become super soldiers? Whats with the pretentious bullshit about natural selection in the end? When the fuck does this take place, is it an alternate route in the VN or something? Where was the fucking atmosphere? God damn, at the least the ED song was good. 5/10
Sep 29, 2013 4:57 PM

May 2012
It took its time to finally be released and subbed but well it wasn't bad for the long wait! While it wasn't all that amusing the great and absurd action in this anime still impressed me! A decent buildup towards the end and somewhat decent concept surrounding the infection of a whole town by a virus!

In general a pretty decent ova but tbh I don't see where this ova fits into the main story...
Sep 29, 2013 6:55 PM

Mar 2011
Higurashi has so many seasons and side stories and what not. I think I've seen everything, but I'm still unclear as to what's going on here.

Is there supposed to be more OVAs or not? I looked through the thread but the answers are mixed. Should I be moving this to my Watched Anime or waiting for more stuff? Any more follow up stories, etc?
Sep 29, 2013 7:07 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Tenshi9001 said:
Higurashi has so many seasons and side stories and what not. I think I've seen everything, but I'm still unclear as to what's going on here.

Is there supposed to be more OVAs or not? I looked through the thread but the answers are mixed. Should I be moving this to my Watched Anime or waiting for more stuff? Any more follow up stories, etc?

Nope. This is the end of the story. Essentially, it sets up a new storyline...

RockerXD said:
When the fuck did Rena and Keichii become super soldiers?

Yeah, it's kinda funny how they were portrayed here. They can annihilate 100 person strong mobs now.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 29, 2013 7:09 PM

Mar 2011
Thanks Wakka. But when you say it sets up a new storyline, are you referring to the fact that it bridges the gap between something that's already aired, or that something new will be coming out?

I've seen the series in its entirety as far as I know, but it's been quite a while so I didn't really perceive this OVA as being really relevant to anything.
Sep 30, 2013 7:42 AM

Feb 2012
Well, this OVA was a big disappointment for me. Even though it was only about 50 minutes or so, the pace felt wrong and I really didn't find it that interesting.
I haven't seen the Kira OVA, so this one might be better than the previous one, I liked Rei a lot more though.
What I liked was the fact that it was more focused on Keiichi and Rena, which I think is an awesome duo, and the ED song was nice. But overall, I can't give it more than 5/10.
Well, I guess I'm going to rewatch the first season of Higurashi...
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Sep 30, 2013 8:43 AM
Mar 2013
KingLear said:
Well, this OVA was a big disappointment for me. Even though it was only about 50 minutes or so, the pace felt wrong and I really didn't find it that interesting.

Me neither, i agree with you. What the hell was the point of making anyway if they weren't going to finish it ?! Felt like i spent 50min over nothing >:|
Oct 1, 2013 9:16 AM

Jan 2012
This really did feel like a cash in, the scenes with Rika were disgraceful, that cheesy farewell line too -_- So much disappointment here, at least it wasn't as bad as Kira I guess.
Oct 3, 2013 11:10 PM

Sep 2008
Definitely better than Kira but too short =.=
I would like to know what will happen next 'cause it looks like another route :3
oxo.anime.xox.manga.oxo.
Oct 4, 2013 12:08 AM

Dec 2011
Wasn't feelin this one. The only interesting part was watching Rena and Keiichi kill all those guys

Oct 4, 2013 11:58 PM

Dec 2011
Rena and Keiichi tag-team was amazing and "Dear You" playing at the end was brilliant. This just reminded me what I loved about the Higu franchise, I really wish there was more. It set up a whole new story, what with that line at the end about being "on a global scale." Alt. happy end 2 where the villagers all die but the club members are the only ones who survive? xD;
Oct 5, 2013 1:39 PM

Apr 2009
Another great example, why an anime with a finished plot, shouldn't be continued.

I adored Higurashi for the plot, but this meat show wasn't entertaining at all.

Had to watch it 2 day. Was too boring.
Oct 5, 2013 10:02 PM

Sep 2011
So... only 1 episode? :V

And dat ending...

Oct 7, 2013 9:42 PM
Oct 2008
Wow... well that was horrible...
Oct 8, 2013 10:45 AM

Apr 2010
Lol, that was just plain awful. I wish they stopped making Higurashi OVAs, they suck.
Oct 10, 2013 8:19 AM

Jan 2012
it was alriiiiiiiiight i guess, i wanted to see this just to see if they could change my opinion after the dreadful second season i just wanted this to be epic and bring back the atmosphere and creepiness and intensity of the first series which i truly loved!!! and while this wasn't as BAD as the second season it didn't really do much for me, not tension, atmosphere, animation was okay/good some gore and blood but not really in the way i was wanting there to be.... so yeah just meh, if there is another then i will give it a shot but something tells me i will just be disappointed
Oct 11, 2013 7:54 PM

Dec 2012
Overall 7/10

I liked the ending song. it was refreshing.
Oct 11, 2013 10:19 PM

Sep 2012
Damn rena was beast in this episode. Natural Selection can sum up this entire OVA.
Glad to hear Dear You again in the End
Lmao at Rika's I don't give a fuck face when Irie shot himself.
Oct 13, 2013 12:59 PM

Mar 2013
I enjoyed seeing some real gore in Higurashi again (Keiichi and Rena not holding back was awesome). It started off really slow though and i ended in a way that really suggested something would follow it up (which I hope happens), though I have no idea how they would do that.
Oct 15, 2013 12:35 PM

Aug 2013
I...want.....MOAR!!!!
Oct 15, 2013 7:03 PM

Apr 2012
This wasn't that bad if only this is the first episode of the series and we will get more in the future...
But I guess we won't get more, so yeah, 6/10 just because I reall love Higurashi series and the Ed song is epic
Oct 16, 2013 3:43 PM

Sep 2012
Very disappointed with this OVA.

-The characters motivations made no sence at all, while you see a concerded Keiichi that carefully makes a plan about killing Satoko's uncle on the main story, we now see a Keiichi that doesn't hesitate to kill even when he's not under Hinamizawa Sindrome's effects. The parents judgment make no sence. Villagers actions make no sence.

-Rena and K1 overpowered as fuck, give me a break. The atmosphere, well, it has none. It wasn't mysterious, scary, heartwarming, funny, etc...

-What's with that ending? The world went to shit just like that? What provocated the virus to do such disaster at global scale? What keeped Mion and the others from not getting insane as the rest of the wordl?

6/10
NeoVeneziaOct 17, 2013 4:44 PM
Oct 18, 2013 10:35 AM

Sep 2010
Meh.....

Nothing like first two seasons...... We can safely say Higurashi ended with Kai.....

3/5
Oct 18, 2013 7:35 PM

Oct 2009
Kerozinn said:
Krissirk said:
Hinamizawa Syndrome on a global scale. Can't wait for the next episode. Rena and Keiichi are a badass tag team duo I hope they have more sequences like that.

there is no next episode.
And you know this, how?
Oct 19, 2013 6:39 AM
Mar 2013
Gogetters said:
Kerozinn said:
Krissirk said:
Hinamizawa Syndrome on a global scale. Can't wait for the next episode. Rena and Keiichi are a badass tag team duo I hope they have more sequences like that.

there is no next episode.
And you know this, how?

Well we sure wished for more but it's only a one ep ova no more
Oct 22, 2013 6:52 AM
Jul 2018
Well that was excruciatingly terrible.

Don't know if I was more let down by the shells of once awesome characters, or by the sheer fact that a 45 min OVA tried to play out the same plot the original did in 50+ episodes. On a GLOBAL scale.

Also, the game was about running around with a cleaver. Not exactly good story material.
Oct 23, 2013 11:44 PM

Oct 2010
at least they moved away from sexual fanservice. >.>
But instead, now, we have senseless violence. Now it's like a bunch of other gory anime. What was great about Higurashi is the emotion, but now.....
Previous seasons: oh shit what is wrong with me i killed a 1 person?!?!?
This episode: Just killed 20 people, let's go kill 20 more

overall 7/10
Oct 24, 2013 9:11 AM

Oct 2013
that was great, but as I only just watched Hirugashi whole thing as a marathon, now I feel so empty I have nothing else to watch with those characters and plot.
waaaah....
they did a great job with the "tragic" of this episode I think. I felt as if the place I live in was going to turn out like it lol.
I think this is one of the only series I can say is in my "heart" rather than my memory
Oct 30, 2013 9:11 AM

Mar 2012
Why werent everyone in this ova like shion?
Oct 30, 2013 11:01 PM

Feb 2013
I enjoyed it. I just wish they would focus more on making adaptations of the arcs that were only featured in the PS2/DS remake of the visual novels, or the Beyond Midnight and the Demon Exposing arcs.
Nov 4, 2013 8:22 AM

Mar 2011
Some how the end of this OVA reminds me of Rewrite VN lol
Nov 4, 2013 4:46 PM

Feb 2013
As much as I love to see Rena killin'... I didn't think it was all the great (just average). At least it wasn't silly filler though.

So in this world, Hanyuu is Rika's advanced-stage brain-virus manifestation... I kind of wish they had a scene at the end with everyone meeting up with Rika after 15 years or so... (mention of other OVA in spoiler)
Nov 5, 2013 12:23 PM

Feb 2012
i'm always happy to see some (real) higurashi again. but this is not what i expected
(sry for my bad english)

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Nov 6, 2013 12:27 AM

Jun 2012
anthi-light said:
i'm always happy to see some (real) higurashi again. but this is not what i expected
(sry for my bad english)

Your english is fine, but I have to disagree with you. This wasn't real Higurashi. In real Higurashi, the only people going around killing people are those who entered the later stages of the Hinamizawa Syndrome, the only exception being Takano, however she was driven by an ulterior motive and wasn't simply killing people for the sake of killing people like Keichii and Rena were in this OVA.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Nov 10, 2013 3:52 AM

Oct 2008
Can anyone explain what the fudge was going on?
Nov 20, 2013 10:07 AM

Dec 2012
It was okay for the nostalgia factor, but not even close to Kai's level.

The ED though... fuck. That was beautiful.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Nov 30, 2013 12:50 PM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
Infatuate said:
It was okay for the nostalgia factor, but not even close to Kai's level.

The ED though... fuck. That was beautiful.

Agreed. Kai was beyond awesome. And dat ED.........so good.

Overall I enjoyed this.
Dec 9, 2013 2:05 PM

Jan 2011
5.5/10
Dec 10, 2013 9:31 AM
Feb 2011
It was boring for most of the time. The only plus was You by dai at the end. I haven't heard it for the ages.
Dec 12, 2013 1:56 AM
Jul 2018
They clearly tried to make this so anyone could watch it, not just fans of the series. But they over-explained everything. Stuffing a massive 1 minute info-dump full of complicated information about the virus isn't really good. It was a fun, mindlessly violent OVA, but definitely different from the series.

And the ED song was amazing. Loved it. I think it's actually the reason i'm giving this a 7/10.
Dec 12, 2013 3:20 AM
Dec 2012
Hmm... I thought the point of the big explanation was to explain how there were different strains of the "virus" that caused conflict between groups of people infected by differing strains. I highly doubt that the club members were themselves free of the infection. Rather, I inferred that they were infected by a different strain from the other villagers. If I'm right, then it's that different strain that psychologically primed them to use violence against the other villagers and gave them a compulsive desire to save Satoko despite the odds being 99.9% against them.

I could be wrong of course, but it does help explain why they were so eager to kill the villagers without any guilt whatsoever.
Dec 12, 2013 8:07 AM

Feb 2011
Dat OST , dat everything <3

I missed Higurashi.
Dec 28, 2013 2:24 AM

Apr 2009
Hinamizawa Syndrome, Apocalypse Edition.

Oh, that felt so nostalgic. Has it really been that long? Quite happy I got to see the Higurashi gang again (without rewatching the main story). Reminds me of how much I used to love this franchise... it's still there, though not burning as bright as it once did. Coming from a new perspective, if this was a game of Plague Inc, the player has already lost by having the hosts die too fast... leaving Japan with a handful of survivors to see the dawn of a new era. Shame I didn't see Shion, Satoshi and the rest of the supporting cast though.

Characters aside, I still thought something felt missing. It was the lack of an OP by Eiko Shimamiya. The Higurashi anime won't be the same without one of her songs. Sadly, no news about her return after bowing out to fight her illness. Also, that ED... I haven't heard that in a long time, and I never expected it would get used in one of the anime incarnations of the story.
Jan 17, 2014 7:54 PM

Aug 2011
As a big fan of the first two seasons, this was disappointing although its still better than any other Higurashi that's come out since the first two seasons.

The ED "Dear You" which is probably the most popular song from Higurashi has finally made it to the anime. Heard it years ago and had no idea how I never remembered such a masterpiece while watching the anime to only later realize its from the game.
Feb 7, 2014 3:12 AM

Mar 2010
I don't write good reviews, so I'll just keep it down to a comment.
I liked it. Felt a bit like fanservice, but to be honest, I expected that, and I expect that each time I sit down to watch a new Higurashi after the first two seasons.

That's some signature, eh?
Apr 5, 2014 7:06 AM

Dec 2013
Violence is back. Finally I know where "Dear You" does come from.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Horror?

ylight67 - Jun 14, 2019

2 by ylight67 »»
Mar 15, 2020 6:58 PM

» When is this?

WitchJacqueline - Nov 28, 2014

1 by TimeGoesOn »»
May 25, 2015 4:37 PM

» Higurashi Outbreak's supposedly ending

I_Am_Drunk - Jul 19, 2014

1 by Luna »»
Jul 29, 2014 1:13 AM

» So, who else is excited? ( 1 2 3 )

Katsuro-chan - Dec 16, 2012

121 by doyakubo »»
Jan 10, 2014 9:49 AM

» fansubbing group for higurashi kaku

741shadow - Aug 29, 2013

31 by bajin666an »»
Oct 1, 2013 9:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.