MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

"Recommend Me Something!"
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Club Discussion »» "Hidden Gems of Manga" »» "Recommend Me Something!"

Must be a Club Member to Reply
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
01-27-09, 10:19 AM

As the title implies, this thread is for the people who wants to read something similar to the series they have enjoyed reading. So if you are looking for a series that have the same genre, feel, storyline (etc) from the series you enjoyed reading then post it here. Us or any of our great members will be willing and will be happy to recommend something for you.
Modified by shinkeikaku, 03-16-10, 7:09 PM

01-27-09, 10:49 AM

I guess I'll start off this thread . . .

Chichiri and I are looking for some good (preferably unique and not too long of a length) shounen/seinen series to check out for the club.

We are up for almost any genre = )

01-27-09, 3:42 PM

Hmmm... I don't know all that much about shounen/seinen titles, but I can make a recommendation -

Short Program - By Mitsuru Adachi, anything by him is fantastic, but this is a collection of short stories by him and they are AMAZING. I'm not sure if this would be shonen or seinen. Most of the stories just cover modern day events, but the way they are protrayed is amazing, and almost every short story ends with a plot twist, so they're fun, quick, and easy reads.

The next one I could have SWORN was shounen (it has a spiky haired protagonist (that is male), a male author, a girl sidekick, the evil witch the main character must build up his strength to defeat, and morals about the strength of friendship), but lo and behold, it was published in Hana to Yume, so if you're looking for strictly shounen/seinen manga you don't have to check it out.

Pygmalio - The series seems to be a shounen manga stuck in a shojo manga body. This is a shonen series from the 70's. For a shonen manga, it's pretty cute. It's about Kurt, who's a prince in the style of greek myths, who is trying to find medusa to undo the curse put on his mother. It's not really a tournement manga, like most shonen are, but more of a world building story, where Kurt traveles around and meets friends and enemies.

I have a question from my friend and I:

We are looking for a series that we can read together (we both read the chapter and discuss it) that is currently coming out in scanlations. It has to be a series that has just or just recently been scanlated, we don't want to try to catch up with a series that is already on chapter 30. We prefer it to be a shojo series, but perferebly not an extremely smutty one. (some smut would be fine, but if each chapter ends with the main characters in bed, we might end up dropping it) If it has supernatural elements in it that would be great. And one more requirement, lol, we don't want it to be by a big name author (Yuu Watase, Shinjo Mayu, CLAMP, etc.) so it doesn't have a high chance of being liscensed. (We don't read series once they are liscensed in our country) I know this is asking a lot, but really any recommendation would be fine. Even if you don't think it fits the criteria, it's ok, recommend it to us anyway.

01-27-09, 3:56 PM

Thanks for your recommendation Mistuko..

I'll check out Pygmalio's summary and such..

If youre looking for a nice shoujo title that isn't from big mangaka, isn't liscense, recently scanlated I think you want to check out a Manhwa called Sad Love Song.. But I can't seem to find it on mangafox.com. I forgot where I read the series I plan to check out new scans but I can't find it...

01-27-09, 7:15 PM

MitsukoOtsuki said:

We are looking for a series that we can read together (we both read the chapter and discuss it) that is currently coming out in scanlations. It has to be a series that has just or just recently been scanlated, we don't want to try to catch up with a series that is already on chapter 30. We prefer it to be a shojo series, but perferebly not an extremely smutty one. (some smut would be fine, but if each chapter ends with the main characters in bed, we might end up dropping it) If it has supernatural elements in it that would be great. And one more requirement, lol, we don't want it to be by a big name author (Yuu Watase, Shinjo Mayu, CLAMP, etc.) so it doesn't have a high chance of being liscensed. (We don't read series once they are liscensed in our country) I know this is asking a lot, but really any recommendation would be fine. Even if you don't think it fits the criteria, it's ok, recommend it to us anyway.

well i'm not sure if there are liscensed or not... i'm pretty sure they aren't but these are some shojo mangas that i've just recently read. they were just posted on mangafox and onemanga so they haven't gotten very far into the series yet... sorry some of them might not be frequently updated.

Chocolate Cosmos- Sakurai Sayuki was born with sharp eyes that make her look like she's always angry, even though she's not. Because of her looks, students around her misunderstand her as a bully and scary girl when in fact she's "a romantic". After 15 years without a boyfriend, she started off her high school year with hopes of love...

Kiss/Hug- Ryuu, a super-business-like transfer student from England with black hair and blue eyes just arrived! During the night of the Tanabata festival, Ryuu and Yukino became attracted to each other at first sight. He then declares, "You will be mine!" This brought confusion to Yukino, who has zero experience in love. But could she actually be falling in love? *fairly smutty*

Otona Pink- Sensei, please teach me about love.
Senou Miku is a normal high school girl. On the day that she had her first boyfriend, her mother had a job transfer. And then, her guardian, who came to live with her, turned out to be her homeroom teacher, Nishizono-sensei...

Promise- Yurim Han has just been accepted to the exclusive Yusung High School, known for its high standards. Expecting that, she is still shocked by the level of excellence. Every student around her is a freakishly gifted genius! It's high school life on cognitive enhancement drugs. Can Yurim survive in such an environment?

Shitsuji-sama no Okiniiri- After the death of her parents, Himura Ryou is taken in by grandparents and starts to attend the super elite high school, Souseikan Gakuen. Ryou gets lost within the school's spacious area and it leads her to a guy wearing tuxedo. He is Kanzawa Hakuou who attends the butler training course [B (Butler) Class] knowing that Ryou is...?!

Yuki no Kuni Kara- In order to be able to get into the University of her choice with a hundred percent passing rate, Fujino Yuki went into Private Suidou All-Girl Academy, a high school that boasts about the students’ marvelous achievements. Yet, there’s a secret to the school’s excellent results- good looking guys as their teachers! Without knowing about the secret and only having a pure intention of going into that high school, what would happen to Yuki’s fate…?!

i really like these series so i hope you do too. :D good luck finding something.

01-27-09, 8:20 PM

Btw anabell is Chocolate Cosmos a student-teacher romance?

I am interested on checking out Chocolate Cosmos and Shitsuji-sama no Okiniiri..

01-27-09, 8:57 PM

yeah chocolate cosmos is a student teacher romance it's really cute!

i highly recommend shituji-sama no okiniiri it's amazing!
both of those are really good. :)

01-28-09, 7:13 PM

MitsukoOtsuki said:
Hmmm... I don't know all that much about shounen/seinen titles, but I can make a recommendation -

Short Program - By Mitsuru Adachi

Pygmalio - The series seems to be a shounen manga stuck in a shojo manga body.

Oh that's great! I think that anything by Mitsuru Adachi qualifies as a shounen, so yeah, thanks for the recommendation!

And even though Pygmalio is a shoujo, if it feels like a shounen, then that's fine as well. We're just looking for something different than the shoujo that we usually read = )

MitsukoOtsuki said:

I haven't read any of these so I can't guarantee that they'd be any good or not but just thought you might be interested in trying any of these out:
- Savage Garden
- H
- [zion]

Oh and I agree with Chichiri. If you read any manhwa, they're pretty much unknowns. Though I admit there aren't too many manhwa that I'd highly recommend (my favorite manhwa is Bride of the Water God and that's licensed).
Modified by sakura_r0se, 01-29-09, 3:31 PM

01-28-09, 7:33 PM

sakura_r0se said:
I haven't read any of these so I can't guarantee that they'd be any good or not but just thought you might be interested in trying any of these out:
- Savage Garden
- H
- [zion]

i've read H. it's good, i'd recommend it. i like the story but i'm not a big fan of the art. :)
Modified by sakura_r0se, 01-29-09, 3:31 PM

01-29-09, 3:15 PM

anabell said:
Chocolate Cosmos- Sakurai Sayuki was born with sharp eyes that make her look like she's always angry, even though she's not. Because of her looks, students around her misunderstand her as a bully and scary girl when in fact she's "a romantic". After 15 years without a boyfriend, she started off her high school year with hopes of love...

Kiss/Hug- Ryuu, a super-business-like transfer student from England with black hair and blue eyes just arrived! During the night of the Tanabata festival, Ryuu and Yukino became attracted to each other at first sight. He then declares, "You will be mine!" This brought confusion to Yukino, who has zero experience in love. But could she actually be falling in love? *fairly smutty*

Otona Pink- Sensei, please teach me about love.
Senou Miku is a normal high school girl. On the day that she had her first boyfriend, her mother had a job transfer. And then, her guardian, who came to live with her, turned out to be her homeroom teacher, Nishizono-sensei...

Promise- Yurim Han has just been accepted to the exclusive Yusung High School, known for its high standards. Expecting that, she is still shocked by the level of excellence. Every student around her is a freakishly gifted genius! It's high school life on cognitive enhancement drugs. Can Yurim survive in such an environment?

Shitsuji-sama no Okiniiri- After the death of her parents, Himura Ryou is taken in by grandparents and starts to attend the super elite high school, Souseikan Gakuen. Ryou gets lost within the school's spacious area and it leads her to a guy wearing tuxedo. He is Kanzawa Hakuou who attends the butler training course [B (Butler) Class] knowing that Ryou is...?!

Yuki no Kuni Kara- In order to be able to get into the University of her choice with a hundred percent passing rate, Fujino Yuki went into Private Suidou All-Girl Academy, a high school that boasts about the students’ marvelous achievements. Yet, there’s a secret to the school’s excellent results- good looking guys as their teachers! Without knowing about the secret and only having a pure intention of going into that high school, what would happen to Yuki’s fate…?!

sakura_r0se said:
- Savage Garden
- H
- [zion]

chichiriNoDa said:
If youre looking for a nice shoujo title that isn't from big mangaka, isn't liscense, recently scanlated I think you want to check out a Manhwa called Sad Love Song.. But I can't seem to find it on mangafox.com. I forgot where I read the series I plan to check out new scans but I can't find it...
Thank you so much for the recommendations!!!! I'll send all the series to my friend so we can pick one (or two, XD) that look interesting.
Modified by sakura_r0se, 01-29-09, 3:32 PM

02-02-09, 9:07 AM

@MitsukoOtsuki: Maybe you can post an update later . . . like let us know how you and your friend liked any of the series, etc.

My request: I just recently got into Banana Fish (thanks to the first two volumes given to me by Chichiri). Can someone please recommend me something similar? Like storylines about police, crime, murder mysteries, that kind of stuff. It doesn't matter what genre, as long as it kinda meets those requirements.

02-02-09, 4:39 PM

Oh I have a request:
I don't like those extremely long adventure mangas like Bleach && Naruto, they get on my nerves. XD I like romance mangas, and shoujo. :D Josei is good too~ Please no mecha, smut, hentai, or stuff like that.

02-03-09, 10:03 AM

@Bou

Since you like romance that doesn't have smut, ecchi stuff like that I highly recommend you check out Kimi ni Todoke, Lovely Complex, Shinobi Life, Wild Ones and Penguin Brothers. Check Kimi ni Todoke most of all.

02-03-09, 11:57 AM

sakura_r0se said:
@MitsukoOtsuki: Maybe you can post an update later . . . like let us know how you and your friend liked any of the series, etc.

I'll definitaly make sure to post an update on which series we'll choose to read. (It might be a week or so before this happens, my friend and I don't see each other much online, but I'll make sure to pass the information on to her A.S.A.P.)

sakura_r0se said:
My request: I just recently got into Banana Fish (thanks to the first two volumes given to me by Chichiri). Can someone please recommend me something similar? Like storylines about police, crime, murder mysteries, that kind of stuff. It doesn't matter what genre, as long as it kinda meets those requirements.

Ah! I LOVE Banana Fish, XD. (I think what hooked me was the Hemmingway reference in volume 7 (?)) But anyway, another series that is very similar to Banana Fish is Let Dai(I'll admit I haven't read it, but I've heard TONS of people compare it to B.F.) it's a Korean manwha and it follows a similar plot line. It's suposively more violent that B.F. (In B.F. events are hinted at, but in Let Dai, they are actually shown) The art is more shojo-y, so it looks a bit different.

The only other series I can think of that are like B.F. are some of Yoshida's other stories. (Particularly Yasha)

02-04-09, 9:35 AM

MitsukoOtsuki said:

Ah! I LOVE Banana Fish, XD. (I think what hooked me was the Hemmingway reference in volume 7 (?)) But anyway, another series that is very similar to Banana Fish is Let Dai(I'll admit I haven't read it, but I've heard TONS of people compare it to B.F.) it's a Korean manwha and it follows a similar plot line. It's suposively more violent that B.F. (In B.F. events are hinted at, but in Let Dai, they are actually shown) The art is more shojo-y, so it looks a bit different.

The only other series I can think of that are like B.F. are some of Yoshida's other stories. (Particularly Yasha)

Ah, thank you for those recommendations! I will also post some updates whenever I get around to reading any of the series that you've recommended to me so far.

Thanks again!

02-05-09, 9:41 AM

^Bump thread.

02-06-09, 9:11 PM

my turn :)

i want a shojo manga a little long but not really long. more than 30-40 chapters is pushing it for me because lately if i read a manga too much i find it gets depressing of filled with drama then put it on hold lol. i suppose if it doesn't have to much drama but is more comedy i would be able to read a long one. obviously it needs to be funny as well but like i said i really don't enjoy mangas with a lot of drama so a simple love would be best... i can't think of anything else lol...

02-07-09, 2:57 PM

anabell said:
my turn :)

i want a shojo manga a little long but not really long. more than 30-40 chapters is pushing it for me because lately if i read a manga too much i find it gets depressing of filled with drama then put it on hold lol. i suppose if it doesn't have to much drama but is more comedy i would be able to read a long one. obviously it needs to be funny as well but like i said i really don't enjoy mangas with a lot of drama so a simple love would be best... i can't think of anything else lol...

Ultra Maniac
The drama is minimal. It's pretty short with only 25 chapters. I found it quite funny, and everyone gets someone, so it has a happy ending. It is a mahou shoujo (just letting you know), but the focus is on relationships and Nina's magic is just there to provide laughs (most of the time...). This is the only thing I could find that fits your requirements right now. Hope that helps :)

02-07-09, 10:58 PM

ah! thank you i'm going to start reading it tomorrow morning lol. :D

02-10-09, 10:20 AM

I can highly recommend you people Lament of the Lamb from Kei Toume. It's relatively unknown, there was an anime adaptation as well, which was watchable, but it had one really good point. The ED song is one of the best anime songs i've ever heard. :) The manga is heaps better than the anime, which is often the case with lots of series ofc.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices