Forum Settings
Forums

Crunchyroll's Trouble With Fan Translated Material

New
Jan 26, 2009 3:56 PM
Sep 2006
Crunchyroll, a media distribution site, has undergone some new changes lately. Most notably it has made a transition from a platform of user-uploaded content to a platform for professionally produced content. In short, they wished to get direct rights to the content released on their site. However, they have uncovered many problems while removing user-uploaded content to make this transition.

• This includes their soft sub system, which allows users to submit translations by fans and embed them inside of the video uploaded.
  • The public can still access unlisted videos by merely typing in the direct URL.
  • Not every user-uploaded video is yet cleared, it seems to have been more time consuming than previously thought.

ANN was able to talk with Crunchyroll’s Vice President of Business Development and Strategy, Vu Nguyen, about the user-uploaded media. He stated that Cruchyroll was “working diligently” that all video content is approved properly. They wish to remove any and all content that is not authorized with their new partners. When also questioned about the URL problem stated earlier, Vu Nguyen assured that they would remove the unlisted URLs as quickly as possible; however, due to the size of the site this will take a bit of time.

Source: ANN

The story was written by 918thefan.com's News Team. If you prefer to watch this story along with others, please join 918thefan.com Daily Newscast here.
dtshykJan 27, 2009 6:54 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 26, 2009 4:05 PM

Feb 2008
I kind of like CrunchyRoll's approach, I hope they eventually evolve into something we can all use, for all our anime needs.

Don't get me wrong, fansubs are great, but I do want to support the anime companies. Does anybody know how much the anime companies partnered with CR actually get in cold, hard cash?

Anyway, this trouble they're running into seems to be caused by incompetent staff, removing links but not content?
Jan 26, 2009 5:10 PM

Nov 2007
i dislike crunchyroll alot i prefer fansubs to translated licensed shit
i hate crunchyroll anyone who pays for airing anime is stupid i hope shinji dies seriously it gets licensed by him it wont hit dvd for years still and all u get to show for it is a download ratio on your usage bill and theres no tl notes at the end no kareoke boring fonts and such GAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY suport your fansub groups by donating plzz cut down greedy bastards like shinji

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jan 26, 2009 5:13 PM

Nov 2007
its complete aids i hope horrible subs keep ripping there stuff

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

fix MAL already
Jan 26, 2009 5:24 PM

Jan 2008
I'm kind of stuck in the middle on this one.
I liked CR before when I could watch stuff and not have to go to rely on veoh and youtube. Especially Asian drama's and PVs. But I also think this is the right way to solve the legal issues that bound to Anime and lots of other...stuff '>>

Except then the whole fansubs vs prosubs debate is a factor. I don't mind prosubs, but there are some aspects of fansubs I like that prosubbers just don't have and vice versa.

Banner made by suikka
Jan 26, 2009 6:06 PM

Jul 2007
Sounds like Crunchyroll is doing this legitimate thing quite thoroughly. Good job, guys. I'll miss the hard-to-find stuff that you always seemed to have, but good job nonetheless.

BTW, Crunchyroll's safe, right? I've heard bad things about viruses in some streaming sites but I don't think Crunchyroll specifically.

Protoculture said:
i hate crunchyroll anyone who pays for airing anime is stupid i hope shinji dies seriously it gets licensed by him it wont hit dvd for years still and all u get to show for it is a download ratio on your usage bill and theres no tl notes at the end no kareoke boring fonts and such GAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY suport your fansub groups by donating plzz cut down greedy bastards like shinji

lol

oh, these little earthquakes
Jan 26, 2009 6:55 PM

Feb 2008
I'm not pleased with the transition of crunchyroll's policy, oh well, there's other sites that support free streams and such.
Jan 26, 2009 7:09 PM

Jan 2009
tl;dr
Stop the hating on Crunchy Roll for perceived injustices.

I have mixed feeling for CrunchyRoll but more on the positive side then bad. I definitly liked the good old days when you had a giant selection to choose from but CR going legit ment its not illegal anymore and everything looks alot more streamlined and uniform as far as organization and streaming quality.

Protoculture said:

lol as well. None of what you said makes any sense. CR does have a paid membership but the site and the majority of the content is free. Now don't get me wrong I love free torrented fansubs alot more then CR for the quality, speed, and misc TL notes(depending on who subs it), but theres no reason to RAGE on CR.

Drak-kun said:
Why should we support someone who was once swindling money from fansub work in the first place?

Correct me if I am wrong but I though the current content was legit licensed subs not ripped fan subs, so even if they are making money its not really swindling off of someone else's work. Before they went legit they didn't charge, at most you could donate to help with site expenses. I wouldn't say they were in the right to host subs that they didn't have permission for but most of them were probably uploaded random CR members who thought they would get internet cred for showing involvement in the CR community by ripping upload.

At least thats what I think.

щ(゚Д゚щ)
Jan 26, 2009 7:19 PM

Nov 2007
Drak-kun said:
Why should we support someone who was once swindling money from fansub work in the first place?
i agree

seriously in the internet i love the loop holes but yer CR should not be supported xD id much rather by the r2j dvds and pay a fortune to the animators n stuff in japan then support sum weeebo in hong kong

but yer fansubs bring good publicity to the shows keep on FS groups

legit licensed or not ewwwww its not like hes putting out the dvds any time ever!
lol and another thing with that it seems prosub dvds have only been the TV version that airs in japan not the dvd releases from japan some times anyone ever notice that?

fix MAL already
Jan 26, 2009 7:26 PM

Feb 2008
Don't use crunchyroll myself, this news sounds interesting though.
Jan 26, 2009 7:49 PM

May 2008
Protoculture said:

^QFT
Jan 26, 2009 9:16 PM

May 2007
Protoculture said:

If you don't think anime is worth buying or at least seeing a commercial then you can just stop watching anime because you really obviously don't like anime,

It is people like you that are making it so all we get made now are stuff like Strike Witches, thanks alot you asshole.
My anime list
Jan 26, 2009 9:22 PM

Dec 2007
mitamaking said:
Protoculture said:

If you don't think anime is worth buying or at least seeing a commercial then you can just stop watching anime because you really obviously don't like anime,

It is people like you that are making it so all we get made now are stuff like Strike Witches, thanks alot you asshole.
It appears I arrived six minutes too late.

#NBHNC
Jan 27, 2009 12:41 AM

Nov 2007
mitamaking said:

man i buy my anime dvds from japan lol fuck i dont support America for my own reasons and lay off astrike witches its ok lol but they were a little too young lol

i amj stating why the fuck would i support crunchy roll if i did all id have to show for it is NOTHING were i bought my ps2/ps3 games/anime dvds from japan i have a lot to show i support anime a lot really its u people who buy american licsend crap that dont support anime enough hate me all u want but its true i pay about 70 bucks a dvd were u pay 30 so yeah STFU were most of that goes to the americans voice actors which suck

and yes obviously i hate american and im not american so gg

fix MAL already
Jan 27, 2009 12:52 AM

Apr 2008
Was it really necessary to advertise 918 twice, once at the beginning of the article and at the end?
Jan 27, 2009 1:03 AM

Jun 2008
I didn't like CR before it became legit. Now I hate them more. I wish that they will fail.
Jan 27, 2009 1:08 AM

Oct 2007
Sure is nerdrage in here.
Jan 27, 2009 7:31 AM

Dec 2007
not to be a hater or anything but i wouldn't pay a cent to CR because:
1) videos FPS and size are sh!t, srsly, have u seen a skip beat video or shugo chara video that is uploaded on CR? u could see the fail encoding on those titles (24fps, 480p as hi res) come on, u can get a 720p and i think 1080p with 29.97fps out of raw and fan subs out there FOR FREE, come on CR, if i am paying u to see something i want to see the best quality their is for my money
2) translations. well not that i know Japanese or anything but for the little that i know, i have seen some translations errors in their videos, when i say errors i mean them as in grammar errors (those CR believe on Translations checkers and editors? who knows) like some phrases can be said another way for better understanding

i don't mind buying anime dvd to support the anime community or pay CR to see anime and support the anime creators but the bottom line is, until CR does a better job on their releases i wouldn't pay nothing to them
fansubs = better quality and for free
CR = u have to pay to see a bad quality video
u do the math.
just my opinion

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Jan 27, 2009 7:38 AM

Apr 2008
its what they get for deleting LOGH of their site.
Jan 27, 2009 7:43 AM

Feb 2008
Sohei said:

So true, now i'll just have to enjoy it with a higher quality video instead.

I'll miss my obscure anime though.
Jan 27, 2009 7:43 AM

Nov 2007
I won't support them because streaming sucks.

While I am all for supporting the industry, I won't pay for worse than VHS quality video when I can download HDTV TS recordings, or BD rips for free. Well, obviously BD rips are a bit worse than the generally grey area of TV source, but since the anime distributor in this country has no current intentions of doing BD releases, I have no other choices.

So I download TV rips to watch series, and the stuff I like (> 5 on my list) I buy on DVD if it's released here. Or download BD rips for some newer, modern HD series. But I'd happily put cash down for those if I could (without paying obscene Japanese pricing, at any rate).
Jan 27, 2009 7:48 AM

Dec 2007
Sohei said:
LOGH?

Jan 27, 2009 7:48 AM

Jun 2007
Sohei said:
Jan 27, 2009 8:12 AM

Jan 2009
felo said:
Sohei said:
LOGH?
legend of galactic heroes maybe, i still need to watch it.

щ(゚Д゚щ)
Jan 27, 2009 8:20 AM

Dec 2007
ilikewhiterice said:
felo said:
Sohei said:
LOGH?
legend of galactic heroes maybe, i still need to watch it.
O_o

Jan 27, 2009 8:23 AM

Dec 2007
Plate said:
Was it really necessary to advertise 918 twice, once at the beginning of the article and at the end?
so what?

Jan 27, 2009 8:28 AM

Mar 2008
neh, buy the anime instead instead of paying them

Jan 27, 2009 8:50 AM

Nov 2008
I liked crunchyroll before, but now I do not. There is no point on me having an annime membership becuase every video is region blocked.
Jan 27, 2009 9:56 AM

Feb 2008
I love the concept but CR is by no means the right site to carry this out on.
The quality is awful compared to other video sources. I'd say youtube or veoh would be better, mainly because the sheer amount of anime on youtube and veoh is probably more than CR plus better quality.
Jan 27, 2009 10:10 AM

Dec 2007
LolitaDecay said:
The quality is awful compared to other video sources. I'd say youtube or veoh would be better, mainly because the sheer amount of anime on youtube and veoh is probably more than CR plus better quality.

ummm, i am with u with veoh but youtube quality sucks so much...

Jan 27, 2009 10:12 AM

Feb 2008
LolitaDecay said:
I don't know about quantity but Youtube quality is indeed much better and 720P on Youtube doesn't require a futuristic quantum computer like CR's crappy flash player. The reason is that Youtube's HD videos are properly formatted .mp4 files which play fine on most players.

felo: Watch this and tell me how Youtube quality sucks.
Jan 27, 2009 10:28 AM

Feb 2008
I agree kuro, although you can pretty much find any series on youtube. It was my main source before I discovered the wonders of torrents about a year ago. Although they've deleted alot now.

Youtube quality used to be absolutely awful, but now they've introduce their new HQ videos you can actually upload some brilliant quality videos. Much better than CR.
Jan 27, 2009 10:31 AM

Oct 2007
fair enough, but can you find me an anime clip in the same quality? never knew youtube or any other site had that kinda quality
Jan 27, 2009 11:13 AM

Dec 2007
nyamo said:
fair enough, but can you find me an anime clip in the same quality? never knew youtube or any other site had that kinda quality

i could say nico nico has that same quality

kuroshiroi said:
LolitaDecay said:
I don't know about quantity but Youtube quality is indeed much better and 720P on Youtube doesn't require a futuristic quantum computer like CR's crappy flash player. The reason is that Youtube's HD videos are properly formatted .mp4 files which play fine on most players.

felo: Watch this and tell me how Youtube quality sucks.

ohhhh wao, 1st time i seen that quality on youtube, sugoi, i mainly use torrents or niconico , that is why i didnt know they improved their player, good to know

Jan 27, 2009 12:44 PM

Jul 2008
It's not quite what they are doing as to how they did it. The site admin himself said that the fan uploaded subs were "holding them back," which was one of the most ungrateful comments I have ever heard considering the whole reason they got so popular was because of the fan uploaded material.
Jan 27, 2009 12:44 PM

Jul 2007
Sohei said:

QFT ~

Basically, I never really liked crunchyroll, because I thought the site could have been a bit better to use - my own opinion. But I stayed for friends I couldn't contact elsewhere + for some anime's I didn't specifically want to spend a week downloading 'cause I couldn't find them anywhere else. Now, I just don't go on there full stop ever since the licensing thing. I get the intention behind it - but for crunchyroll? I think that was a terrible move for them tbh.

You told me to make you feel [color=#CC6600]like you're in heaven
[/color]
Jan 27, 2009 1:43 PM

Apr 2008
I used to watch airing anime on Crunchyroll so I did't have to wait for fansubs to release the episodes in my language; now I switched to torrents XD

I live in Latin America and as various mangas are licenced and sold here no anime is licenced, so if they don't want to sell me their anime why would I bither supporting them by watching legal steams?
Jan 27, 2009 2:07 PM

Jun 2007
I stopped going on CR when they cut out the fansubs. I have a liking for nostalgic (pre-2004) shows, which were all purged in the latest round of attempts to legalize. All they really have now is stuff that's current and being fansubbed by better translators, anyway. If the subs they had were actually better, I would have probably stayed. This does kind of feel like a Kaiji joost repeat.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Jan 27, 2009 3:08 PM

Jan 2008
nyamo said:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kuk9ys56-U0 (you'll have to click the "watch in HQ" thing underneath the video.)

Banner made by suikka
Jan 27, 2009 4:35 PM

Dec 2007
panda_general said:
nyamo said:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kuk9ys56-U0 (you'll have to click the "watch in HQ" thing underneath the video.)
is only the op :S

Jan 27, 2009 5:45 PM

Jun 2008
Protoculture said:
its complete aids i hope horrible subs keep ripping there stuff

Agreed.
I'm back.
Jan 27, 2009 5:46 PM
Sep 2006
Guys, stop insulting Shinji and talk about the subject. All insults have been deleted.
Jan 27, 2009 9:15 PM

Mar 2008
panda_general said:
nyamo said:

if it's that kind of quality, i wouldn't mind streaming anime even with ads. but i really can't stand the streaming quality of crunchyroll. i'd rather spend my money to support a worthy anime on dvd than to take my chances on episodes that i mite not like and that will fill up my already small harddrive.
Jan 27, 2009 9:45 PM

May 2007
Can someone actaully prove to me that there is horrible quality on Crunchy Roll, and how it is wrong to have to pay for great quality when the free quality is passable.

I honestly can't believe I am defending Crunchy Roll, before it went legit I wanted Shinji's head, but that 4 million dollar(I believe that was the number) ad deal Shinji made seems to be the kick in butt anime companies needed to relize people would watch anime online.

Once again the only problem with Crunchy Roll is the region locking, but guess what that is all you people's countrys that aren't allowing it, not Crunchy Roll.

Just off the top of my head France is blocking Naruto, believe it.
My anime list
Jan 27, 2009 10:41 PM

Aug 2007
mitamaking said:

Once again the only problem with Crunchy Roll is the region locking, but guess what that is all you people's countrys that aren't allowing it, not Crunchy Roll.

Countries don't usually block websites. The websites do. I used to be able to watch any video on CR, but now I can't watch any (though usually I wanted to watch older/obscure shows that aren't airing here in Japan atm). They're the ones that are blocking IPs. [On another note, my friends in Malaysia have been blocked from the animate website, on account of Helatia (sp?) they think.]

CR is nice for people that don't want to pay for anime, don't care if it's streams and who live in America, but not for anyone else....
Jan 27, 2009 11:11 PM

Sep 2008
aranelcharis said:
mitamaking said:

Countries don't usually block websites. The websites do. I used to be able to watch any video on CR, but now I can't watch any (though usually I wanted to watch older/obscure shows that aren't airing here in Japan atm). They're the ones that are blocking IPs. [On another note, my friends in Malaysia have been blocked from the animate website, on account of Helatia (sp?) they think.]

CR is nice for people that don't want to pay for anime, don't care if it's streams and who live in America, but not for anyone else....

yeah..the site block IP..but it make not sense if you use proxy to stream anime.

Jan 27, 2009 11:34 PM

Nov 2007
just supporting crunchy roll is horribe lol

seriously whats the point of licesing anime to stream u need to just buy it on dvd lol

fix MAL already
Jan 28, 2009 4:31 AM

Jun 2008
Protoculture said:
Just supporting Crunchyroll is horrible

Seriously, what's the point of licensing anime to stream? You just need to buy it on dvd l
/spelling, grammar etc

Plenty of reasons. Worldwide access, convenience, comparatively cheaper cost.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Jan 28, 2009 6:47 AM

Jan 2008
I applaud CR for trying to become legit. At the same time, I think it's going to be hard for them to continue being popular at this rate..
Jan 28, 2009 12:21 PM
Dec 2007
Anomalous said:
BTW, Crunchyroll's safe, right? I've heard bad things about viruses in some streaming sites but I don't think Crunchyroll specifically.

Yeah it's not the safest place on the internet. I got a Trojan virus from their site not to long ago.

And in regards to CR's situation, I think it's great that they're trying to create a legal, and more trusting way of sharing anime with other countries. I do miss the majority of their media, though. ;[
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
3 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
5 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
7 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.