Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
K-ON!
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you like the K-ON Artstyle?
Aug 4, 2013 3:56 AM

Apr 2012
So Ill get straight to the point. I hated K-ON and I really really hate its artstyle. I dont see what people find cute about it but honestly I think its an abomination of an artstyle. Now I wouldnt mind if it would have been just with K-ON cause I really dont care about that show, but it seems to have gotten really popular and shows that have an interesting plot summary and look interesting put me off immediately when I see the K-ON artstyle. Surely I cant be the only one to think its hideous!

So tell me what are your thoughts on the K-ON artstyle?

If you would ask me what artstyle I enjoy I like the dark and serious artstyle that is used in Texhnolyze and Ergo Proxy with the lots of brown mixed into it, but I also love the artstyle that Madoka Magica used in the battle scenes and generally the crazier kind of artstyles.
Aug 4, 2013 3:57 AM
Apr 2013
I dont give a shit.
Aug 4, 2013 4:10 AM
Dec 2012
K-ON! is an entry in the moe slop-bucket of shitty anime. All the girls are totally cute, and we get to see their adventures of daily life. Nothing much actually happens. We really just have a voyeuristic sensation as we watch the teenage girls. That must be why it is so popular. It can’t be the plot (it doesn’t have one), it can’t be the action (it doesn’t have any), it can’t be the incredible acting (it doesn’t have that), and it can’t be the amazing character growth (it doesn’t have any). If the writers/director/animators had put one tenth of the effort into storytelling that they did into making cute character designs, then this show could have been good.

Oct 2012
kawaii desu ne

Jul 2013
Cute
Aug 4, 2013 4:19 AM

Aug 2010
The art was cute. Music was pretty good. It just wasn't enjoyable for me.
Personally, I had a look and I don't like the art style of the series you listed but hey~ Everyone has different tastes so...

^ *prays for the day BBCode allows images again*
Aug 4, 2013 4:25 AM

Mar 2012
K-on! is moe
Aug 4, 2013 4:31 AM

May 2012
I love the K-On style! It's moe as fuck!
Now, Clannad... That's a different story :/
Aug 4, 2013 4:34 AM

Dec 2012
I personally like it, it's easy on the eyes and goes well with what the anime is about. It's not going to be for everyone though.
Aug 4, 2013 5:20 AM

Feb 2010
I liked it a bit more when it was refined into the Chuunibyou artstyle.
Aug 4, 2013 5:53 AM
Apr 2010
I dropped it after the first episode, so I guess there's your answer.
Aug 4, 2013 5:55 AM

Mar 2012
It's good in K-On
It's bad in K-On ripoffs (Including KyoAni's own Tamako Market)

Not_Biased said:
K-ON! is an entry in the moe slop-bucket of shitty anime. All the girls are totally cute, and we get to see their adventures of daily life. Nothing much actually happens. We really just have a voyeuristic sensation as we watch the teenage girls. That must be why it is so popular. It can’t be the plot (it doesn’t have one), it can’t be the action (it doesn’t have any), it can’t be the incredible acting (it doesn’t have that), and it can’t be the amazing character growth (it doesn’t have any). If the writers/director/animators had put one tenth of the effort into storytelling that they did into making cute character designs, then this show could have been good.
Clearly the show was not made for you. So why are you complaining? No one's forcing you to watch it as far as I know
Aug 4, 2013 6:01 AM

Aug 2011
dodoberry said:
kawaii desu ne

This. I fucking love it.
Aug 4, 2013 6:01 AM

Jun 2009
shows that have an interesting plot summary and look interesting put me off immediately when I see the K-ON artstyle

... You're an idiot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2013 6:12 AM
Jun 2012
I have no problem with art styles in anime in general. If it works for that anime then it is a good art style. It is simple as that.

In K-On's case the art style works for the anime.
Aug 4, 2013 6:15 AM

Dec 2012
Personally I really like the art style in K-On. Very cute and nice to see something different once in awhile.
Aug 4, 2013 6:27 AM

Aug 2012
Not_Biased said:
Too bad K-On doesn't need all that to be good.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Aug 4, 2013 6:38 AM

Feb 2013
Let's imagine K-ON with Ergo proxy artstyle ... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it's gone!
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Aug 4, 2013 6:40 AM

Apr 2011
Is this a fan site or a "let's shit on everything anime" site?
Aug 4, 2013 6:41 AM

Dec 2012
Sh0wdown said:
Let's imagine K-ON with Ergo proxy artstyle ... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it's gone!

Nonsense, it would make for a mature and thought provoking series.

Aug 4, 2013 6:42 AM
Jun 2012
yhunata said:

No I believe it's just that there is a social dichotomy in the anime fanbase which ultimately fosters a lot of arguments.
Aug 4, 2013 6:57 AM

Jul 2012
ho hum... i didn't find the artstyle particularly special. i mean, yes a little emphasis on cute-ness but otherwise...
i don't know everything
i just know what i know...
Aug 4, 2013 7:09 AM

Aug 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
Sh0wdown said:

Aug 4, 2013 7:16 AM

Aug 2012
ApepItsirk said:
yhunata said:

No I believe it's just that there is a social dichotomy in the anime fanbase which ultimately fosters a lot of arguments.
It's the all-too-familiar Plebeians vs. Elitists battle.

The elitists reading this are probably mad that I typed pleb first.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Aug 4, 2013 7:30 AM
Jul 2018
Haven't watched it, but looking at screenshots I like it better than Clannad art style. At least their mouths aren't where their nose should be.
Aug 4, 2013 9:45 AM

Apr 2012
Well after giving it more thought its not the artstyle itself that I hate so much, altough I still dont like it, but what it stands for: the moe stuff. For example today I stumbled upon Chunibyou demo koi ga Shitai and after reading the subscription I thought this might be a really funny anime. But then I noticed the artstyle, but I still thought maybe its not that bad. So I went to youtube and the first clip I stumbled upon was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IikZNz41J_g&list=HL1375634586&feature=mh_lolz

Yeah great another anime about bein all moe and shit. Moe is for me like fanservice, totally useless and without any use to the plot or comedy or anything in the anime. But hey atleast fanservice is hot sometimes...

Edit: Also why was this moved to the K-ON Discussion thread? Its only about the K-ON artstyle which several anime are using its nothing specifically about K-ON.

Edit 2: With Moe I only mean the overly cuty stuff like K-ON and other anime that have this characters that have faces as if made of jelly and blob.
baki502Aug 4, 2013 9:58 AM
Aug 4, 2013 9:57 AM

Feb 2013
baki502 said:
Well after giving it more thought its not the artstyle itself that I hate so much, altough I still dont like it, but what it stands for: the moe stuff.
I think the problem is you just don't enjoy K-ON type of humor. "The moe stuff" is part of the fun, but it's not everything, as you seem to imply. You're focusing too much on this aspect.

I'm playing in a pop/rock band and i can tell you i really laughed a lot watching K-ON, and it had nothing to do with the moe side, there's a lot of great scenes in the show which have nothing to do with the visuals.

You also need to turn the "try hard mode" while watching shows like K-ON.
Aug 4, 2013 10:06 AM

Apr 2012
Sh0wdown said:

Bad argument as there is a lot more about K-ON i dont like than just the artstyle :D.

But lets make it the other way around lets take the epicness that Ergo Proxy is and give it the Artstyle of K-ON. It will turn into absolut Bullshit immediately and I could never take it serious...
Aug 4, 2013 10:29 AM

Feb 2013
baki502 said:
Sh0wdown said:

Bad argument as there is a lot more about K-ON i dont like than just the artstyle :D.
That's just what i said, you don't like K-ON humor.

baki502 said:
But lets make it the other way around lets take the epicness that Ergo Proxy is and give it the Artstyle of K-ON. It will turn into absolut Bullshit immediately and I could never take it serious...
Ok now i get it, you're here to convince everyone Ergo Proxy > K-ON, because you enjoyed Ergo Proxy and disliked K-ON.

Well, you know you'll never win playing this kind of game right ?
Aug 4, 2013 11:10 AM

Apr 2012
Sh0wdown said:
baki502 said:
Sh0wdown said:

That's just what i said, you don't like K-ON humor.

baki502 said:
Ok now i get it, you're here to convince everyone Ergo Proxy > K-ON, because you enjoyed Ergo Proxy and disliked K-ON.

Well, you know you'll never win playing this kind of game right ?

Nah I dont want to talk about Ergo Proxy here honestly, I want to talk about the artstyle that K-ON uses and if it had a name i probably would have not mentioned K-ON that much at all.
But since it is a very subjective matter and I am asking for your subjective opinion how do you expect to not colour my texts in a subjective manner? Of course I would accentuate what I like and put down what I dont like. But my main point is that the moe blob style is for me like the extrem fanservice. I dont mind a bit of subtle fanservice, you know when there is a small pantyshot somewhere on the side of the screen or some girl is a bit less clothed. But then there is that pantyshot that covers the whole goddamn screen and is even accompanied by a sound effect. I have the same feelings for moe. A bit of moe here and a cute character is ok but when it gets to the level where their faces is like jelly and the whole focus of an anime is to look cute is when I start to hate it.
Aug 4, 2013 3:20 PM

Mar 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
Sh0wdown said:

Here's a better question. Moe (K-On) or Anti moe? (Aku no Hana)
Aug 20, 2013 2:28 PM

Jun 2013
Yes, I love how they all look so cute, and all the art style is kept in greyish tones, that looks more natural, and makes it less painful to watch.
Paws paws paws paws paws paws paws
Neko Neko Paws
Paws is what I like
I'm a paws obsessed person, I could look at kitties' paws all my lifetime.
Aug 25, 2013 8:47 AM

Aug 2013
Just started K-ON because of KyoAni. I like their artstyle and most of their shows worth watching. So wanted to give it a shot and liked it much. It was cute. But honestly, there were some parts that I thought was silly sometimes. This show is centered on moe characters and cute stuff. That's why I found the artstyle appropriate with the plot and characters. So what is wrong? Didn't you guys who blame K-ON don't know that it was a moe show before starting?

So it is same with Lucky Star. People blame it too much. I didn't watch it but I know what I will see after starting. I don't like that artstyle so I'm not watching it. I don't want that kind of thing right now.

Well if you don't like moe blob artstyle just don't watch it. Problem solved.
Aug 27, 2013 2:00 PM

Apr 2012
HardTouch said:
Just started K-ON because of KyoAni. I like their artstyle and most of their shows worth watching. So wanted to give it a shot and liked it much. It was cute. But honestly, there were some parts that I thought was silly sometimes. This show is centered on moe characters and cute stuff. That's why I found the artstyle appropriate with the plot and characters. So what is wrong? Didn't you guys who blame K-ON don't know that it was a moe show before starting?

So it is same with Lucky Star. People blame it too much. I didn't watch it but I know what I will see after starting. I don't like that artstyle so I'm not watching it. I don't want that kind of thing right now.

Yes I didnt actually now what it was. I think it was after I watched Detroit Metal City and thought I would be getting something similar to it. Of course I wasnt expecting something as extreme but some good rock music paired with some nice comedy, but what I got was a extremely boring moeblob-fest. So yes since then I shy away from this artstyle mainly for one reason. I know that this artstyle also implyes that the show will most likely focus on moe instead of everything else. So for me it is kind of a synonym for bad shows moe shows.
Aug 27, 2013 2:05 PM

Nov 2011
baki502 said:
HardTouch said:

Yes I didnt actually now what it was. I think it was after I watched Detroit Metal City and thought I would be getting something similar to it. Of course I wasnt expecting something as extreme but some good rock music paired with some nice comedy, but what I got was a extremely boring moeblob-fest. So yes since then I shy away from this artstyle mainly for one reason. I know that this artstyle also implyes that the show will most likely focus on moe instead of everything else. So for me it is kind of a synonym for bad shows moe shows.

How in God's name did you think that K-ON would be any similar to Detroit Metal City.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Aug 27, 2013 2:09 PM

Sep 2012
Dude, you hate K-On too much. Take it easy.
Jan 24, 2014 3:45 PM

Dec 2013
I loved the art style. The characters were really well designed and were really cute and fun to watch. I would definitely say yes about it.
Oct 12, 2015 8:46 PM
Sep 2015
Personally I enjoy the art and the series. It's plot is more about creating memories with your friends
Jan 22, 2016 5:36 AM

Jan 2016
I think "abomination" is a bit unfair, but eh.

I like it, think it's cute, and feel it suits the show well. Although I think it suits it so well to the point that I can't help but associate K-On closely with the look, which makes watching other Kyoto Animation shows a bit weird. Too bad for you they seem obsessed with uising that artstyle lately. :/
Apr 27, 2016 2:07 AM

Aug 2007
I know this thing was back from Jan but like I've been re-watching it a bit and I just gotta love on K-ON for a moment m'kay?

As an art/animation student, I have to say that I absolutely loved K-ON for its artwork.

Now generally I love a good anime, but sometimes I find that the designs and the budget end up not matching. Budget/time is too short plus designs are rather complicated and have a high pencil-mileage. Result? Some shows end up looking cardboard-y stiff and just poorly animated. Now that's not to bash on the artists---they do their best with what they're given, these poor people, and if there's any industry that's good at getting great work out with less than stellar circumstances, it's this one, and I've even seen shows that could end up being stiff, somehow end up looking good anyway.

But here's the thing about K-ON tho. The design and style of the show gives it a lot of power, animation wise. It's simple, cute, appealing, and malleable! That's the key here! Add that and a good budget and great artists on board, and what you've got is a top notch, super professional show full of gorgeous animation. Simple! Bouncy! FLUID! They're ALIVE! We're consistently getting things like overlap and secondary animation in a limited animation TV show, which is impressive.

Can I also talk about THE LIGHTING AND COLOURS????? GUYS GUYYYYSSS the COLOURS. THE ENVIRONMENTS. The warmth of the evening! The richness of wood! The light through the window! The way the shadows hit in the clubroom! There's so many great choices that they made in that area.

Honestly among the shows I've seen, I definitely notch K-ON as among my top for its super pro artwork. A KUDOS to the studio because damn, they did top notch work, and like honestly I'd die to just have one scene from that show in my demo reel guys like really.
May 14, 2016 10:23 AM

Mar 2013
Absolutely hate it. I love cute characters, and this artstyle is not cute in the slightest. They look dumb and punchable. It does fit with the obnoxious humor though.

Doesn't help that KyoAni decided to use that exact same artstyle for numerous subsequent shows. Truly the beginning of the end for a once great studio.
May 14, 2016 3:21 PM
Dec 2014
hair is too thick and not detailed enough

I do not understand why they did not put more effort into the fucking heairs
Jul 19, 2016 5:55 AM

Aug 2013
I don't like K-On! art style. I'm not sure why but I don't find the characters cute, maybe it's because I don't find the jokes funny. And I actually love all other KyoAni moe shows, even Tamako Market's characters look similar to K-On!'s but for some reason I find them much cuter. It's weird cause there's no reason I shouldn't like K-On! It's the most famous CGDCT show and most moe-fans agree it's a must-watch. So I was kind of disappointed when I watched the first episode and didn't really like it.
Jul 19, 2016 6:11 AM

Jul 2016
Its an abomination just like you said OP, in general the anime sucks ass. How anyone can like that garbage is beyond me.

Moe is cancer

More topics from this board

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

game8910 - Jun 4, 2009

233 by The_Neeko »»
Apr 1, 8:37 AM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 2, 2009

598 by piratini »»
Mar 16, 1:58 AM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DaBigD - Jun 25, 2009

344 by bubba460z »»
Mar 3, 3:22 PM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jun 18, 2009

314 by bubba460z »»
Mar 3, 2:59 PM

Poll: » K-ON! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

DaBigD - Jun 11, 2009

199 by bubba460z »»
Mar 3, 2:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.