Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2013 3:33 PM

Feb 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Derpy cold!Hikari face.

Slapping Taichi wasn't right. and without hearing his excuse. He was just a child himself, he didn't know how serious a cold could be. I hope she apologized later and explained. If being outside for five minutes made her that bad, she would have collapsed at home anyway.

Ergh, Taichi made me cry. T_T

Why didn't the Digimon just evolve and catch them/jump out a window?
眠れないのは君のせい
Apr 8, 2014 8:32 PM

Dec 2012
Chouninatte said:

Derpy cold!Hikari face.

Slapping Taichi wasn't right. and without hearing his excuse. He was just a child himself, he didn't know how serious a cold could be. I hope she apologized later and explained. If being outside for five minutes made her that bad, she would have collapsed at home anyway.

Ergh, Taichi made me cry. T_T

Why didn't the Digimon just evolve and catch them/jump out a window?

Because Hikari almost died. I think his mother was overcome with emotion at that time. That was quite a touching scene though, we can see why Taichi is such a responsible person.
Jul 10, 2014 3:05 AM

Oct 2013
;-; Tai's story about Kari almost made me tear up. The voice acting of the main cast (in the dub) got better over time for sure.

One thing that's seemed so unrealistic to me though is how quickly Kari joined the rest of the group. Nobody even said anything when she left to the digiworld with the rest, there was no hesitation, and when they continued their journey in the digiworld, she already acted and fit in as if she was there with the group the entire time. And it wasn't even just her; it was the same with Gatomon, who was evil just a little bit prior. It's not at all realistic.

And what more, neither of them have had any important battle-changing scenarios since the return to the digiworld, and neither of them were remotely necessary. I love Kari; she's probably my favorite of the human cast, but... I dunno. It's kind of dumb.

/end random irrelevant rant

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 18, 2015 4:48 PM

Jan 2014
Poor Hikari...
Jun 18, 2016 7:59 AM

Feb 2013
Hikari's background story was great, Taichi almost killed her, that was sad.
Mugendramon isn't the type of digimon I thought he would be, he actually thinks of a plan before attacking.
Feb 3, 2017 12:37 PM

Dec 2010
Zadion said:
;
One thing that's seemed so unrealistic to me though is how quickly Kari joined the rest of the group. Nobody even said anything when she left to the digiworld with the rest, there was no hesitation, and when they continued their journey in the digiworld, she already acted and fit in as if she was there with the group the entire time. And it wasn't even just her; it was the same with Gatomon, who was evil just a little bit prior. It's not at all realistic.

And what more, neither of them have had any important battle-changing scenarios since the return to the digiworld, and neither of them were remotely necessary. I love Kari; she's probably my favorite of the human cast, but... I dunno. It's kind of dumb.

Why should they? She is just a kid, like TK. They never got any problem with TK, even though he was a little crybaby. "He is just a kid". The same goes with Kari. On top of that she IS Tai`s sister and she is silent and obedient.

There is no real reason to question her. They got enough problems with Matt`s ego, Mimi`s egoism and Joe`s hestiance.

And about Gatomon. Well she was serving Myotismon, then she destroyed him not only once, but she was a major impact in the second battle. She never really harmed any of the Digi-destined or their Digimon. Compare this to Matt, who attacked Tai and MetalGarurumon who harmed Wargreymon. Matt`s behaviour was much more destructive than anything Gatomon did before.

On the other hand, during Matt`s and Tai`s fight Gatomon said that there is no point in trying to stop them, cause they are too weak. Gomamon responsed something like "What do you know? You are just a newcomer". So there is some kind of prejudice in the team.

On top of that, those guys are really forgiving. Remember all the problems with black gears, Elecmon situation, SkullGreymon, and recently, even fuckin Ogremon(who tried to kill them many times).

About this episode. Machinedramon is my favourite Dark Master. He got amazing Eng dub voice acting and is as cold and menacing as a villain could be. I really liked how he was probably the first enemy in the series that used some kind of tactic. He is somewhat a general of evil Digimons.
tearofmankindFeb 3, 2017 12:43 PM
Apr 4, 2018 8:07 PM

Apr 2017
Great backstory, and regarding his "bad" parents, whatever technique they used with Taichi, he turned out to be a great kid, so their parenting isn't that bad.

Ulquiorra said:

Mugendramon isn't the type of digimon I thought he would be, he actually thinks of a plan before attacking.

Like any sane person / entity should do?

I really like Mugendramon, compared to Metalseadramon and Puppetmon. But so far all of them are great in their own sense.
--------
Aug 14, 2018 5:49 PM
Mar 2018
This episode was very good. The main plot with Kari being sick and them being attacked while trying to get medicine was very nicely intense, and the action scenes were good. As well the flashback of young Tai and Kari was one of the more emotional moments of the show, I was also really surprised that Tai's mom slapped her.

Overall it was a solid episode.
Mar 29, 2020 2:12 PM

May 2008
I'm no against the idea of digimon getting sick, but I do question why would they have cold medicine and why they would have human cold medicine. Regardless, this whole backstory feels out of place because, uh...
1) Hikari was doing just fine running around Odaiba
2) Doing just fine against Vamdemon
3) Doing just fine in the Digital World until this very moment.

So I'm pressing X on her having a "cold" (which the subs say it's her first cold? What??). If they had said something like dehydration or heat stroke then I'd understand. But for her cold to "come back" (and then apparently gone in the next ep, lol) is such a cheap way to add drama to Taichi's backstory. And for no reason at all. What does point does it serve? To show a side of Taichi we already know exists since he had this character development with Agumon 2 arcs ago? He was a reckless kid back then and he's a reckless but a bit more self-aware kid now. Whoopie-doo.

I'm starting to see a pattern with this season... Alongside revisiting my dislike of this arc.

Maybe they'll use Hikari almost dying as an explanation for her close connection to the digital world. But I highly doubt it.
Oct 10, 2020 12:08 AM

Dec 2012
Hikari falls.
Dat flashback.
America?
Mugendramon.
Dat army.
Dat flashback.
Expired Nov 2001.
Mechanorimon.
Tankmon. Adult.
Dat theme. Greymon.
Piemon.
Dat theme. MetalGreymon.
Taichi grabs Koushiro.
Dat flashback. Dat slap.

And there it is. The flashback I've hated since I was kid. Seeing Taichi's kaasan slap him actually had an effect on my life. She was wrong to slap Taichi. They are the parents. They should have been home taking care of Hikari while she had the cold. Taichi is a child. He shouldn't have to come home and watch his imouto while they are out. They've been shown to be irresponsible multiple times throughout the series. The 1st being the movie. 6 and 3 year old Taichi and Hikari were home by themselves. They let Taichi run out the house at night. Episode 21, Hikari is home by herself with the cold (chronologically, the 2nd time). One of the parents could have stayed while the other helped obaachan. The reason Taichi is acting that way is because of the slap. If he doesn't take care of Hikari, he'll get slapped again. If I had 2 children, I wouldn't have the oldest watching the youngest. The oldest is a child, not the parent. I'd have them both taking care of each other. If I'm away then I'll have an adult watch them. Too many times the oldest child has to suffer after taking care of the younger sibling. Its wrong and I hate it.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 18, 2021 1:03 AM

Jul 2013
This episode is brought to you by Nord VPN.

Seriously though, I like this episode a lot more than the previous ones. Taichi's desperation to save Hikari, backed by the guilt of his past mistake, sounds a lot more convincing than Yamato's drama. Hikari not telling anyone about her cold until she's at the end of her rope makes her a very nice contrast to the crybaby Takeru. The area being some weird mixture of real world countries is a lot more interesting than forest and ocean. Plus, there's a sense of urgency as Machinedramon (who btw is the most badass of the 4 Dark Masters both in design and personality) ruthlessly hunt them down. I like where this is going.
Feb 20, 2021 12:11 AM

Oct 2009
Poor Hikari with fever.. If only Jo is here to provide medicine they could've avoided the fights :(

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 6 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 6, 2010

15 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 5 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

17 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 4 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 3 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 2 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 3, 2010

18 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.