Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 2, 2013 11:23 AM

Jul 2013
I saw Cowboy Bebop recently, but I just didn't like it. I mean it was good, but i wouldn't call it legendary.
The opening was great though ^-^
I believe in ghosts, even though I've never seen one before and get this. I don't believe in anyone of the people that have said they seen one before. It's kind of like how I think about the concept of love. Like I believe one day I'll fall in love, get married and live happily ever after, even though I've never actually fallen in love with anyone yet. You see what I'm saying? For some people falling in love is like second nature, but I can't even relate to that. So if I've never fallen in love before is it real? And that makes me wonder if ghost are real. I haven't seen one yet so maybe they're not.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 2, 2013 11:25 AM

Jul 2012
for me, bebop always just reeked of coolness! it has an amazing mood, great characters, both serious and comedic themes, and interesting art - "older", but not dated. some of the music is awesome - like the episode with the sax theme.

i'm not gonna say i am number one in line of cowboy bebop fans, but i will say that i think it really brought something unique to anime land
Aug 2, 2013 11:35 AM

Mar 2013
Most people do not connect with it due to the episodic nature of it (in particular the early episodes) and the older art. Especially for younger people.

I think it's fantastic. Everything about it is near perfect; music, characters, perfect blend of comedy/action/drama. It's nostalgic for a lot of us and personally I love the art.

It also gets a lot of love for having one of the first well done english dubs.
Aug 2, 2013 11:38 AM

Apr 2011
Sanjur0 said:
Most people do not connect with it due to the episodic nature of it (in particular the early episodes) and the older art. Especially for younger people.

I think it's fantastic. Everything about it is near perfect; music, characters, perfect blend of comedy/action/drama. It's nostalgic for a lot of us and personally I love the art.

It also gets a lot of love for having one of the first well done english dubs.

Episodic nature, for me. Can't watch more than one episode a day.
Aug 2, 2013 11:38 AM

May 2013
What do people find so appealing about Highschool DxD?
Aug 2, 2013 11:39 AM

Apr 2013
Nothing about it is bad, so it's hard to nitpick.
Episode 5, man.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Aug 2, 2013 11:40 AM

Apr 2011
Anguished said:

Obvious, isn't it? Boobs.
Aug 2, 2013 11:42 AM

Aug 2012
Probably because of the end. My rating for Cowboy Bebop was 5, but after the ending it moved to 7 or 8. Well.
Aug 2, 2013 11:42 AM

Oct 2010
1-There's a thread about it already. Just check in the Cowboy Bebop forum.
2-This is not the right place for this thread.
3 (related to 1)-
jal90 said:
The series is episodic but the connection between episodes are the characters. And the characters are what build the Cowboy Bebop experience since they are likeable, three-dimensional, tied to their past and trying to move on, living their everyday adventures as a sort of dummy pill that relieves but doesn't solve their personal issues.

It also matters that the crew members build such strong bonds among them, the story is very focused on that feeling of warmth that allows them to go on with their life while avoiding -not confronting- their problems. It is a story about the need of being close to somebody to survive in your everyday life, and the contradiction that it holds when it happens that you have to follow your own path alone.

The music is astounding, as it corresponds to a series that is very deeply focused on referencing and celebrating music styles; the show is also very stylish in terms of art and animation which gives it a very nice charm.

And adding to this, Spike is a cool, martial artist, cigarette holding and semi afro character.
Aug 2, 2013 11:45 AM

Mar 2013
a lot of people have a lot of nostalgia for the show. i personally dont like it but in my opinion it is a good show although i dont think all this overhype with people calling it "THE GREATEST ANIME EVER MADE!" is doing it any favors. this is an anime where people tend to build up the most epic thing in their minds before seeing it (because of the hype) that no matter what you will be disappointed.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Aug 2, 2013 11:46 AM
Sep 2009
Cowboy Bebop is a perfect blend of style and substance. It incorporates elements from a variety of genres such as film noir and blacksploitation, and manages to fit them into its sci-fi universe without ever coming across as trying to do too many things; strangely enough it never feels derivative, even when it is.
Even though it is episodic, it develops its characters better than most shows with a more continuous plot; they are fleshed out very organically through the conversations that they have and the situations they are put in.
Then of course, there is just how stylish and cool everything is. The show is one of the most cinematic I've ever seen. It looks great not only because the cell animation aged incredibly well, but also because how filmic it is with its angels, transitions, etc. It is so beautiful to look at, rarely is an anime crafted so well visually.
NeverKnowsBest26Aug 2, 2013 11:51 AM
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Aug 2, 2013 11:48 AM

Jan 2013
It deals with a lot of philosophical concepts and ideals, and the anime itself is a blend of multiple genres that you would never think would work together (sci-fi and western in particular). Both of these things were rarely seen (or never seen) in anime before its release and for that reason it is considered to be an extremely influential anime. To me, Cowboy Bebop is an example of the perfect anime and it definitely deserves the praise it gets.
Aug 2, 2013 12:00 PM

Feb 2013
"If you try to understand why people enjoy Cowboy bebop (or not) you're gonna have a bad time!"
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Aug 2, 2013 12:05 PM

Feb 2010
Because it is objectively true.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 2, 2013 12:09 PM

May 2012
judojon said:
Cowboy Bebop is a perfect blend of style and substance.

This statement perfectly sums up why Bebop is my favorite show of all time. It perfectly juxtaposes accessibility and depth. You can turn your brain off and still enjoy it, but if you want to turn your brain on there's still plenty there for you to sink your teeth into.
Aug 2, 2013 12:12 PM

May 2012
Nihilfist said:
judojon said:
Cowboy Bebop is a perfect blend of style and substance.

This statement perfectly sums up why Bebop is my favorite show of all time.

These guys get it.
Aug 2, 2013 12:16 PM

Jan 2013
Birthdate: 1999

That's why. You're too fucking young too appreciate good art.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Aug 2, 2013 12:17 PM

Sep 2012
MajinSaga said:
Birthdate: 1999

That's why. You're too fucking young too appreciate good art.

And you're not manly enough to appreciate K-On.
Aug 2, 2013 12:18 PM

Jun 2013
Anguished said:
plot.

Aug 2, 2013 12:18 PM

Apr 2013
Fma isn't legendary either.
Aug 2, 2013 12:20 PM
Sep 2012
It's a terrible cartoon for people with terrible taste.
Aug 2, 2013 12:22 PM

Jan 2013
You're not at that age to appreciate dialogue, humor, etc. at a more mature level yet op. You'll get there someday though. You probably still like shitty movies like project x or tv shows like jersey shore over Pulp Fiction & Breaking Bad. You have a shit taste. It's alright though. Every idiot teen goes through the absolute shittiest of tastes.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Aug 2, 2013 12:27 PM

Apr 2011
MajinSaga said:
You're not at that age to appreciate dialogue, humor, etc. at a more mature level yet op. You'll get there someday though. You probably still like shitty movies like project x or tv shows like jersey shore over Pulp Fiction & Breaking Bad. You have a shit taste. It's alright though. Every idiot teen goes through the absolute shittiest of tastes.

Speaking through experience?
Aug 2, 2013 12:29 PM
Apr 2010
It's cool OP. Go back to watching Highschool of the Dead and Naruto.

FMA Brotherhood is awesome though.
Aug 2, 2013 12:30 PM

Jun 2009
yhunata said:
MajinSaga said:

He probably just got through it, and right now he's at that stage where he can't respect others opinions and thinks he's always right. Plus he's learning new words like weeaboo.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 2, 2013 12:31 PM

Apr 2011
insan3soldiern said:
yhunata said:
MajinSaga said:

He probably just got through it, and right now he's at that stage where he can't respect others opinions and thinks he's always right. Plus he's learning new words like weeaboo.

Heh, he's slow. I've already gone through those stages and it's been barely a month since I've gotten out my teenage years.
Aug 2, 2013 12:31 PM
Sep 2012
MajinSaga said:

Not me, I was a big fan of High School Musical.

But yeah Breaking Bad sucks as much as Bebop
Aug 2, 2013 12:36 PM

May 2012
Christ, what is with all the bebop threads?

On Topic:

- It is written better than most anime
- The seamless blending of cultures, the west and the east.
- The animation is silky smooth and holds up relatively well even today.
- Great Jazz Soundtrack by yoko kanno
- Lovable cast of characters
- Great ending.

This is all IMO, but it is why I believe people love it.
Aug 2, 2013 12:37 PM
Sep 2009
HurricaneSweet said:

I'm guessing that was a joke... either that or you have the most backward standards and your judgement should never be trusted.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Aug 2, 2013 12:41 PM
Oct 2010
MajinSaga said:
You're too fucking young too appreciate good art.

Rubbish.
HurricaneSweet said:

Rubbish.
MajinSaga said:

Absolute rubbish.

The rest of the replies, both positive and negative, were very good. While most people emphasize, as judojon said, the excellent blend of 'style and substance', my own main source of enjoyment was how splendidly the characters were portrayed. Of course the ambiance and setting factors in the enjoyment (I always enjoy sci fi with a twist) but I am with jal90 in placing the characters at the forefront of the experience; furthermore, the ending provided a brilliant point of departure for the fellowship, with the final scenes of each character serving as a closure to their characterization seen FROM the aspect of their relationships. The way the Bebop, the same place that gathered and sheltered the team, served as the symbol for the departure of each character, is simply not something every director can do.
Aug 2, 2013 12:43 PM
Sep 2012
judojon said:
HurricaneSweet said:

I'm guessing that was a joke... either that or you have the most backward standards and your judgement should never be trusted.

You actually questioning that makes me question you.
Aug 2, 2013 12:46 PM

Jan 2013
HurricaneSweet said:
MajinSaga said:

Will then, there's absolutely no hope for you.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Aug 2, 2013 12:50 PM

Jan 2010
I gave Bebop a 10. It has great characters, great dialogue, great DUBBED dialogue, and great music. I loved the story, I loved the chill laid-back atmosphere of the show, and I loved how the dulled art style lets me relive the Adult Swim days. It's great for so many reasons, I probably forgot a few. It's something I could recommend to almost anyone, so long as they can get past the age of the show.

And yet, I wouldn't call it a real favorite. Recently, I've found that there are a lot of shows that I respect greatly and would use to talk about why anime is so great, but they don't actually make me go fanboy mode, even though I'd really like to. Bebop is great because it's so well-rounded, has that nostalgia factor, and doesn't have any real flaws past certain things conflicting with certain tastes. It's great that you can see that it's a good show OP, but don't worry if you can't get into it. I'd respect the opinion of a humble person who legitly watched thousands of anime and still considered something like Naruto their favorite, far over someone who has only watched the stuff on Adult Swim and rabidly clung to the classics, even if the classics are really good. It's not the anime, it's how the fan acts that makes 'em classy.
Aug 2, 2013 12:51 PM
Sep 2012
1) Didn't YOU say it sucked alongside Jeresey Shore?
2) I was le sarcastic, if my previous post didn't "hint" at that enough *you have an impressive brain that functions very well*

/s
/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/
Aug 2, 2013 12:51 PM

Dec 2012
Because it's well-written, has interesting characters, a great soundtrack, decent action, good humor, emotional impact, and is mature and stylish.
KruszerAug 2, 2013 12:56 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 2, 2013 12:58 PM

Oct 2010
There's good anime, there's great anime, and then there's Cowboy Bebop which is simply on a whole different level. The only thing that comes close to its greatness is Princess Tutu.
Aug 2, 2013 12:59 PM

Jan 2013
yhunata said:
MajinSaga said:

I did have a shitty taste in music when I was in my teens. Movies too.

Blood, curse words, explosives = Good.

story, philosophy, classical = boring.

Luckily for me that only lasted from 14-16 before I realized what a complete retard I was being. Have to thank Akira, GITS, Tarantino, Stanley Kubrik, & Beethoven for making me realize that.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Aug 2, 2013 1:01 PM
Sep 2012
"WAS"

Dude you like Bebop...
Aug 2, 2013 1:36 PM
Feb 2012
I love it, but I can't call it a masterpiece. It needs MORE.
HurricaneSweet said:

OUT.
MajinSaga said:

I did have a shitty taste in music when I was in my teens. Movies too.

Blood, curse words, explosives = Good.

story, philosophy, classical = boring.

Hoping this didn't turn out that way when you saw "The Seventh Seal". If you haven't and your tastes have changed for the better, GO SEE IT.
filmftw1Aug 2, 2013 1:41 PM
Aug 3, 2013 1:18 PM
Sep 2011
yhunata said:

Episodic nature, for me. Can't watch more than one episode a day.

That's another thing right there.

A handful of Bebop fans watched it during the golden age of Toonami and Adult Swim, when anime didn't just air ONLY on Saturday nights.

This was back before the concept of watching anime online even occurred to me (or was a possibility (if anyone here remembers dial-up internet connections, you know what I mean)

So yea, watching the episodes when they aired, one night a week, probably did something for the show's favor, as opposed to someone who would torrent the series and try to marathon it.
Aug 5, 2013 2:58 PM

Jul 2013
I don't think you can really explain why it's so popular. You can speculate but you can't explain it. My top three favorite anime are a Miyazaki film about a witch's journey of self-discovery, an adaptation of a Key visual novel, and an anime about a tall girl who starts crushing on a short guy (although Bebop is probably tied with it right now and I'm not sure which I should put on my profile). Do they sound amazingly groundbreaking? Not really. But tastes are subjective for this reason. We are irrational beings and not everything we do can be explained. People thought 5 Centimeters Per Second was basically flawless and I gave it a 7. Bebop is a highly acclaimed anime because a lot of people enjoyed it, connected with it, or both. For me it was both but just because I (and a lot of other people) liked Bebop so much doesn't mean everyone will. I respect that and hopefully so do many others. I'm not sure why people have to rationalize why their taste in anime didn't match up with the majority's.
Aug 7, 2013 12:38 PM

Aug 2013
his anime is successful, a reference for me.

Cowboy Bebop is an anime that should be seen as soon as possible in mixing several kinds Cowboy Bebop has created a unique atmosphere, which I immediately succumbed. Beautiful, class, dynamic, crazy, soulful, deep, funny, Cowboy Bebop is all this at once. Those who want to watch a cool anime can go, as well as those who love to read behind the lines and find the true meaning of certain sequences. Yes because this series can still make us ask questions about a lot of things today existential or the future of our beloved planet Earth.

Finally, the music is very important in Cowboy Bebop. It borrows heavily from the Jazz and Blues. Cowboy Bebop OST are among the most popular OST. It is not for nothing!

In summary, Cowboy Bebop is a little gem of animation and is a must. It would be wrong to miss!

see you space cowboy...
Aug 7, 2013 12:44 PM

Jul 2013
Because it fucks shit up! Like my language as a child!
Dr. Sheldon Cooper " It is no way to make new humans. People coming out of people. Some kind of dirty magic show.
Aug 8, 2013 10:12 AM

Oct 2011
I think most people consider it an amazing anime because of how awesome Spike is as a protagonist. From an objective standpoint, the show excels in its presentation by giving the viewer glimpses of the main characters' pasts throughout the episodes, not to mention the cinematography and soundtracks are consistently superb. While I don't generally like episodic shows, I must say Bebop managed to be one of the few exceptions where I genuinely enjoyed the structure. The ending to the series, while tragic, was appropriate and fitting, imo.

Aug 12, 2013 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
It's no masterpiece. Nothing is, but it's still damn good regardless. Why?
1) AMAZING DUB
2) Artwork and animation fantastic for its time... fluid as water :P
3) Chemistry between the bebop crew is fucking gold.
4) Spike Spiegel
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Aug 12, 2013 3:08 PM

Jul 2013
StillSwingin007 said:
It's no masterpiece. Nothing is, but it's still damn good regardless. Why?
1) AMAZING DUB
2) Artwork and animation fantastic for its time... fluid as water :P
3) Chemistry between the bebop crew is fucking gold.
4) Spike Spiegel

5) Unique soundtrack with good ambiance.

Probably my favorite track, so simple yet it can bring out such strong emotions. Melancholic high notes always pull me in. A little biased as Faye is my favorite character:

Aug 12, 2013 3:10 PM

Feb 2012
Because it's great.
Aug 12, 2013 4:13 PM
Mar 2011
its not that good

its has
1 a decetly Stacked cast
2 Kanno
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 12, 2013 8:57 PM

Sep 2011
There's always going to be someone that doesn't like something.

Cowboy Bebop is an excellent show. It does everything right, and it never over stays its welcome. Even the people that say they didn't like the show, would admit that it does have its moments and its iconic. For me the reason that its such a great show really comes down to the cast of characters and the atmosphere. It never comes off as pretentious or bores you with some convoluted plot and the small cast of character makes it easy to keep track of. Its one of those shows that you can pick out a random episode and watch it when you are on the train or waiting somewhere and enjoy the 23 mins. Its not my favorite anime but its the only anime I have on my IPod and I always watch it along side Futurama when I have to take a long flight.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

RoadLord - Oct 24, 2007

143 by Anurag469 »»
Yesterday, 8:57 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Metty - May 14, 2008

622 by TeeDeeHeeHee »»
Apr 17, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

samurai_tom - Jul 16, 2009

88 by Coletty »»
Apr 15, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

109 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 11:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

122 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 10:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.