MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Is anime art?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Is anime art?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
07-30-13, 7:17 PM

"I'm a college art major and I'll tell you why it is not art. I'm not being bias because I like anime and just got back from comicon. Anime is for the most part the same thing over and over.They eyes, hair, and the bodies always look the same in almost every anime. There is noting that sets apart one artists style from the other. If you were to compare one persons anime drawing and look at anothers you would notice that the eyes are gonna be drawn the same and look like every other anime. In art you have 100s of styles and are free to do what you want. But in anime you are confined by the normal standard anime style ( big eyes, crazy hair etc.) Anime is a very very very hard style to do anything new or ground breaking in. If you were to break the mold and do something new it won't look like anime anymore. Think of how many styles you can draw a person in, hundreds from abstract to impressionism to surrealism. Now think of how many styles you can draw an anime person in and still keep that anime style? You have very few styles. I think iits art but, I think it's a lower form of art and honestlly not as talented. Anime art is very black and white nothing new once you seen one style you have seen them all. Hope this helps."

-Some Dude from Yahoo Answers

TL;DR; all anime looks the same, so therefor anime is a low form of art, borderline not art.

I've also found out that art teachers really dislike the fact that their students are drawing anime-styled characters because they don't believe that it's creative.

Also an article about how anime isn't creative can be found at http://www.riuva.com/?p=1369.

So what's the deal? Are people like these just confusing the style of anime with the actual definition? Have these people just not seen enough anime to actually get an accurate understanding for what anime is? Are these people actually on to something? Is the style of anime so uncreative that it shouldn't be considered art?

Thread also includes any manga, if that wasn't obvious.

Discuss.

"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto

07-30-13, 7:19 PM

I don't care about their opinions or if it's considered art or not. I enjoy and love anime, so i watch it.
Oh and don't get me wrong, anime has lots of different art styles that make them unique.

07-30-13, 7:21 PM

"There is noting that sets apart one artists style from the other."

I'll have to remind myself the next time I watch Lucky Star that Konata looks exactly like Revy.

Also, lol 'noting'
We almost had it...but it was all just a game...

07-30-13, 7:22 PM

Same goes with video games. Who knows, who cares. Just enjoy it and stop debating whenever it's art or not.

07-30-13, 7:23 PM

Depending on your definition of art, anything could be considered "art".

07-30-13, 7:25 PM

One could rise similar arguments about film, but it's considered an art, so I'd say that's more than reason enough.
Modified by About, 07-30-13, 7:31 PM

07-30-13, 7:26 PM

Either way it's still awesome. NBD.

07-30-13, 7:26 PM

I believe anime is an artform.That's like say abstract isn't becouse it's just a blob of badly painted shapes and colors. Sure some of them look alike, but there are quite a few different styles. Take Lucky Star and Deathnote for example, those characters look nothing alike except for the basics.

07-30-13, 7:28 PM

So that person basically assumes that drawing 'anime' is limited to just the characters? So if you drew a beautiful and gorgeous background and put a 'anime' looking human there instead of a 'non-anime' looking one instead, the anime one wouldn't be considered art because the person in the image has a 'anime' design?

07-30-13, 7:29 PM

Art is so broad, just about anything could be considered art.
I <3 imouto.

07-30-13, 7:31 PM

This is considered art:

So yes. I would say anime is art.

Art covers pretty much a wide variety of things. SO i dont see why not.
[08:05:39 PM] MellowJello: it's just you, me, a granola muncher, and a bag full of secrets waiting to be opened
[08:05:43 PM] MellowJello: what's it gonna be
[08:05:48 PM] Working Jokerლ(´ڡ`ლ): dont forget my raisins bitch
[08:05:56 PM] MellowJello: and some raisins
[08:05:59 PM] MellowJello: can't forget the raisins

07-30-13, 7:34 PM

that really depends on your definition of art. i happen to believe that anime is not a stand alone art form but is part of the bigger category of art called animation. same as how i dont call individual movies or songs art but i call film and music art.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my reviews and for my collection: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99
How I rate: all scores out of 10
Animation
Sound
Characters
Story
Enjoyment
Overall score is the average of all the other scores. You can find my reviews on my YouTube channel above

07-30-13, 7:34 PM

It's a medium of art and storytelling.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lcza7O4.gif[/IMG]

07-30-13, 7:37 PM

There are plenty artsy/non-conventional animation done in Japan.

Kujira no Chouyaku
Aru Tabibito no Nikki
Inaka Isha
Tenshi no Tamago
1001 Nights

Just to name a few

Manga can be done artistically too

Taiyou Matsumoto is someone who really pushed manga as an artform with Takemitsu Zamurai (it's not about the artstyle quirkiness, although there is that there is much more to it)

If you want something more literary there is Nijigahara Holograph.

And then there are things like:

Kurokami no Helga
Yume no Soko
Olimpos
and much much more.

07-30-13, 7:40 PM

I remember watching something dealing with cars awhile back and one guy that was interviewed was asked if he considered certain cars to be "art".
He responded with the following definition:

"'Art' refers to anything at all that serves no purpose other than itself."

So if were to go by this, anime could definitely be considered art. After all, the only reason it's made is to sell DVDs and fund the production of more anime.

krazyboy said:
FUCK ALL ANIME, SPONGEBOB OVER ALL

07-30-13, 7:45 PM

Anime is art, that's all I have to say

07-30-13, 7:50 PM

This topic looks questionable, but...

LEGOF said:

That's the basic answer. If we're talking about legit and respectable art, then I dunno.

Anime is a medium, and rather than judging the whole thing as art or not, you could pick out the reasons why anime could be used to express art, and not just the stereotypical "anime-esque style." And no, anime isn't just the "same thing over and over." It probably is if that guy is talking about airing anime, or if we're going into that "90% of everything is crap" thing, but it's not like we're getting stuff like 5 Centimeters Per Second, Revolutionary Girl Utena, or Kaiba every season. It would be nice, but all we can do is wait for the next blue moon.

So...Yeah, anime isn't just about the character designs, or even the characters. And really, the word "art" seems to be thrown around as the visual design of things. The person in the quote doesn't seem to mention backgrounds, or filming techniques, or animation, or any of that crazy stuff. It seems almost too easy to cherry pick various anime to throw out stuff that are "artsy," but I don't think that would do much.

Anyways, here's something I found: An interpretation of ecchi as legit art. Whether if it's right or not, I found it interesting because I had no idea there was even a way to interpret ecchi as an art.
Modified by Shocked, 07-30-13, 8:38 PM

07-30-13, 8:03 PM

Shocked said:
This topic looks questionable, but...

LEGOF said:

That's the basic answer. If we're talking about legit and respectable art, then I dunno.

Anime is a medium, and rather than judging the whole thing as art or not, you could pick out the reasons why anime could be used to express art, and not just the stereotypical "anime-esque style." And no, anime isn't just the "same thing over and over." It probably is if that guy is talking about airing anime, or if we're going into that "90% of everything is crap" thing, but it's not like we're getting stuff like 5 Centimeters Per Second, Revolutionary Girl Utena, or Kaiba every season. It would be nice, but all we can do is wait for the next blue moon.

So...Yeah, anime isn't just about the character designs, or even the characters. And really, the word "art" seems to be thrown around as the visual design of things. The person in the quote doesn't seem to mention backgrounds, or filming techniques, or animation, or any of that crazy stuff. It seems almost too easy to cherry pick various anime to throw out stuff that are "artsy," but I don't think that would do much.

Anyways, here's something I found: An interpretation of ecchi as legit art. Whether if it's right or not, I found it interesting because I had no idea there was even interpret ecchi as an art.
im gonna steal this and move it to one of my threads. well done.

07-30-13, 8:03 PM

Shocked said:

Not to mention the music, voice acting and general soundscape. But I guess music can't be art.

07-30-13, 8:10 PM

Yes, it contains a certain essence to it as most works of art do so there you have it.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices