Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 9, 2013 9:51 PM

Dec 2010
i think that viewers are just get fed up with all girls anime.i for one is sick of it.im fed up of girls eating cake calling things cute and lazing around.for once they should change it up like for example it should be a bunch of boys eating cake and lazing around.on free forum someone said that the show would be better if the cast was all girls, why
so that they could eat cake, call everything cute and dont swim .at least free had swimming and it did fine with the cast mostly boys look at the sales.so as i said its not that the show is bad, viewers are just fed up with all girls anime
Oct 9, 2013 10:19 PM

Oct 2012
Hi Hack5,

You aren't the only one who feels this way. See this comment by Carl Kimlinger
of Anime News Network:

"Comedies about idling schoolgirls are the cockroaches of anime—brilliantly simple
pests superbly adapted to thrive and reproduce in their chosen environment ..."
www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2013/the-fall-anime/carl

I believe that there have been some excellent anime series of the "Cute Girls Doing
Cute Things" (CGDCT) genre, going back to Kokoro Toshokan in 2001. But now
it is getting stale. Viewership for CGDCT is getting smaller and smaller. There are
just a few people, like me, who enjoy CGDCT. But frankly, I am happy to go back
and enjoy the old episodes. Right now, most people want to watch "Free!" which
is pushing in a different direction.
Oct 10, 2013 7:19 AM

Nov 2011
hack5 said:
i think that viewers are just get fed up with all girls anime.i for one is sick of it.im fed up of girls eating cake calling things cute and lazing around.for once they should change it up like for example it should be a bunch of boys eating cake and lazing around.on free forum someone said that the show would be better if the cast was all girls, why
so that they could eat cake, call everything cute and dont swim .at least free had swimming and it did fine with the cast mostly boys look at the sales.so as i said its not that the show is bad, viewers are just fed up with all girls anime

Kiniro mosaic sold 7k with its first volume.

Viewers are not fed up with the genre at all. Your opinion is irrelevant to this.

okanagan said:
Hi Hack5,

of Anime News Network:

"Comedies about idling schoolgirls are the cockroaches of anime—brilliantly simple
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2013/the-fall-anime/carl

I believe that there have been some excellent anime series of the "Cute Girls Doing
it is getting stale. Viewership for CGDCT is getting smaller and smaller. There are

You shouldn't base your assumptions of the direction of the genre on the western fanbase, we both know its mostly irrelevant as to what kind of anime gets produced.

Espcailly anime journalism, its just 1 big joke. I pity the people who take the ANN anime reviews/previews seriously.
rederoinOct 10, 2013 7:26 AM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Oct 10, 2013 7:55 AM

Oct 2012
rederoin said:
You shouldn't base your assumptions of the direction of the genre on
the western fanbase

I should frankly admit that my statements are poorly supported. I have not
checked my facts. The only measure of popularity that I ever see are the
Blu-ray/DVD sales figures. I wish I knew a source of data that would allow me to
pull together some kind of spreadsheet to see how the Blu-ray/DVD sales of
CGDCT have varied over the years. What I do recall is that the most recent
CGDCT series have had first-week Blu-ray/DVD sales of approximately 500,
which is right at the bottom.

Regarding the Western fanbase, I don't actually follow any measure of popularity.
That is just laziness on my part. I realize that MAL systematically collects viewer
ratings for each series once they finish.

In any case, from the point of view of Western anime fans, MAL ratings mean very
little. The only important thing is whether or not the series gets produced. That
depends only on the willingness of people in Japan to buy the Blu-ray/DVDs.
I assume the overseas Blu-ray/DVD sales are negligible

So... I am throwing out the conjecture that CGDCT is basically dead. But this is
just my conjecture and not something that I have properly documented.

The best method to determine the death of CGDCT is to wait for two years and
see if they stop making CGDCT series.

As a point of comparison, there was a huge boom in yuri-genre anime series
starting in 2004, but it stopped completely at the end of 2009 after Aoi Hana
and Sasameki Koto both bombed. No primarily-yuri anime series has been
produced since then. However, they are testing the waters in early 2014 with
Sakura Trick.

Especially anime journalism, it's just 1 big joke. I pity the people who
take the ANN anime reviews/previews seriously.

As for anime journalism being a joke, I believe it is no joke to the business people
behind it. The prize is to attract the most users and push other websites out of
business. Whatever Anime News Network is doing, I feel certain that they are
being very careful to maximum their market share of viewers. Furthermore, the
viewers that they care about are parents who actually spend money on advertised
products. Nobody cares about attracting the lower-income anime fans. As a
result, I think it is easy to see that Anime News Network has a bias in its reviews
that is pleasing to parents in the English-speaking world. They immediately ring
the alarm bells for any series with a hint of moe or yuri.
okanaganOct 10, 2013 8:09 AM
Oct 10, 2013 5:10 PM

Dec 2010
rederoin said:
hack5 said:

Kiniro mosaic sold 7k with its first volume.

Viewers are not fed up with the genre at all. Your opinion is irrelevant to this.

okanagan said:
Hi Hack5,

of Anime News Network:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2013/the-fall-anime/carl

You shouldn't base your assumptions of the direction of the genre on the western fanbase, we both know its mostly irrelevant as to what kind of anime gets produced.

Espcailly anime journalism, its just 1 big joke. I pity the people who take the ANN anime reviews/previews seriously.

hey i was not talking about sales of girl anime.let me say it again im sick of it the cake the cute. k-on sold alot and i actually like that show but ones like this is so bad that is not funny anymore
is this how they think girls are
at least let it have a good story look at love lab i think it was so much better than this it did not do to well in sales but the story was good
im just tired of a one sided cast. minami ke had both boys and girls and it was good they did nothing but talk shit and they ate cake but still it was good
thanks okanagan for the info i usually dont read anime news network articles but its good to know that im not alone
Oct 11, 2013 12:17 PM

Jun 2012
In the end, Kitakubu went up to 6.32 before jumping to 6.76 after it completed airing. Though it might drop a little as it stabilizes over the next few weeks and it isn't really a high score, it definitely deserved better than its low of 6.28 so I can't really complain.
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou
Oct 12, 2013 4:51 AM

Oct 2012
Rederoin, thank you for your constructive criticism. Indeed, I had overlooked
Kiniro Mosaic. As you pointed out, the Blu-ray/DVD has been selling like hotcakes.

Blu-ray & CD rankings for Sep 30th - Oct 6th
Rank / This week / Cumulative sales / Titles
#9 -- 1,318 -- 6,963 -- Kiniro Mosaic vol.1

I have been trying to put together a comprehensive list of "Cute Girls Doing Cute
Things" anime series.

2001 Kokoro Library / ココロ図書館 / Kokoro Toshokan
2002 Azumanga Daioh
2004 Lucky Star
2004 Maria Sama Ga Miteru
2005 Strawberry Marshmallow / 苺ましまろ / Ichigo Mashimaro
2005 Best Student Council / 極上生徒会 / Gokujō Seitokai
2005 Aria the Animation
2006 High School Girls / Girl's High / 女子高生
2007 Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! / がくえんゆーとぴあ まなびストレート!
2007 Hidamari Sketch / ひだまりスケッチ
2009 K-On! / けいおん!
2009 Kanamemo
2009 Sasameki Koto / ささめきこと / Whispered words
2011 A-Channel
2011 Nichijou / 日常 / Nichijō
2011 Yuru Yuri / ゆるゆり
2012 Joshiraku
2013 Yuyushiki
2013 Kiniro Mosaic / きんいろモザイク
2013 Kitakubu
2013 Tesabu / てさぐれ!部活もの
2013 Non Non Biyori / のんのんびより

Additional details are here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=673057
Oct 17, 2013 12:08 PM

May 2009
With the series on a second watch, I find most of the gags a bit funnier now than before. Seems this is one of those shows that need to grow on you.

Still, I can see why so many people rate it so low. If first impressions are everything, this show failed to deliver.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2014 10:27 AM

May 2013
dacak said:
i personally don't think shows should be rated until they see the entire thing, but thats just my opinion.

But I had internal bleeding and had to stop for medical reasons.
May 5, 2014 8:10 PM

Aug 2011
Not is not that bad. Or at least people that think this is "that bad" they should try watching Mars of Destruction.

» Escapism.

Jul 30, 2014 4:57 PM

Jul 2012
AO968 said:
With the series on a second watch, I find most of the gags a bit funnier now than before. Seems this is one of those shows that need to grow on you.

Still, I can see why so many people rate it so low. If first impressions are everything, this show failed to deliver.

pretty much. the seiyuus were essentially all rookies, too; i think natsuki's was the only one with a couple roles, albeit supporting, prior to this. The show grows on you, and the seiyuus get better as they get more into their characters. By the time episode 4 or 5 rolled around I finally realized I was actually enjoying Kitakubu quite a bit.

When I gave it a second watching, I was laughing right from the beginning :D
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
Mar 17, 2015 1:37 PM
Oct 2012
I have to say I loved this show and I wouldn't really class it as a CGDCT anime at all (although I do absolutely love those) it is more humor based and less cuteness based, I didn't really find much in the way of cuteness from it.
and as to CGDCT series becoming less popular, the announcement of new Tamayura movies (not mentioned on your list okanagan though it should be it is brilliant!) and of a second season of Non Non Biyori and the upcoming new season of Kiniro Mosaic (the first of which was mentioned to have sold well) show that the genre is still going strong, which I am glad about, having at least one a season helps give me 20 minutes a week to relax and have some laughs and the calming feeling that come from these kinds of shows.
back to KKK (the show, not the racists) I definitely feel that the humor was not for everyone, it was never going to be a series that was that popular, but i get the feeling it wasn't made with that in mind, in fact i agree with previous statements that it almost feels like it was made with the specific intention of being a flop so it could ridicule itself, i thought that was part of the humor, I for one am a big fan of jokes that are so bad they come round full circle into being funny again, and this felt like one of those jokes manifested in anime form, which is i think why i enjoyed it so much.
I've just realised how belated this message is but oh well perhaps someone will see it some day!
May 18, 2015 3:01 PM
Sep 2013
And that someone is me! I thought this anime was buried and no one watches this anymore. The first 2 episodes was yeah kinda boring but it gets better up til ep 11 (lol they mistook the ep again. I still haven't finished ep 12). The CV did a good job, at first natsuki's comebacks are quite annoying but soon it made me laugh. Yeah you are right in ways more than one. It just made me worried about ep 3 saying they still haven't caught fire yet(low amount of sales or audience). But this anime is not bad at all. Just that the beginning was slightly weak not as funny as the rest but still funny (I watched it while taking a bath sooo)
Mar 4, 2016 1:45 AM

Feb 2015
i just recently started to watch this anime, and i don't see anything bad about it. well, it's VERY VERY stupid LOL! but i don't mind it.
if it's a problem, maybe the VA. the VA isn't really fit to the character....
tbh, this anime is underrated imo. at least 7.10 or 7.20 is good enough for this anime.
natsuki is my fav btw. i know she is sometimes get annoying with her comebacks but i'm getting to like it :D
YizelTroMar 4, 2016 1:48 AM
Mar 22, 2016 11:05 PM

Nov 2013
It's funny and light but NOT bad.
Sep 22, 2020 2:25 PM

Feb 2020
Heyo, just finished this anime. Came here to say that I actually liked it! For the first half of the show (Episodes 1-6) it was a bit slow and although I didn't rate it yet, I hovered around a "6" score. And then things started really ramping up from Episode 7.

Kind of like what others said here: the show grows on you. It's a slow starter for sure but I like it way more now than when I started it. For non-completionists, it'd be easy for them to drop the show early on and leave a low score. But I don't mind! I liked it. I somehow miss their antics, too. Might or might not have (missed) picked up Natsuki's retorts and hand gestures.

In any case, it definitely deserves a chance to be watched from start to finish. But for the genre of slice-of-life and comedy, it perfectly fits the bill and delivers.

(and wow, first reply here after 4 years...)
Feb 27, 2021 5:50 AM

Aug 2018
I've been watching this show at a leisurely pace, an episode every so often for the last week or two. Currently at ep10 and I think this show isn't bad at all. In fact it's pretty good! A solid 7/10 at least.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2013

44 by N_Hawke »»
Mar 22, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2013

173 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Feb 15, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

58 by Cabbage_Cat »»
Jun 5, 2022 6:22 AM

Poll: » Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

60 by Cabbage_Cat »»
Jun 4, 2022 8:11 AM

Poll: » Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

36 by Cabbage_Cat »»
Jun 3, 2022 5:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.