Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 27, 2013 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Gaen. Nice seeing her this episode. In fact, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Shaft and their style of head turns lol.

I just love Karen though XD. I wish she grew her hair back though.
Fire sisters ftw:

Stark700Jul 27, 2013 10:47 AM
Jul 27, 2013 8:27 AM
Dec 2012
The art was impressive as always. Hanekawa's lips and that mother's legs looked very sexy. That mother's words were deep and meaningful. LOL@marking. She was desperate.

It was very enjoyable.
Jul 27, 2013 8:53 AM

Apr 2009
Oh shit, it's Episode.

Kind of glad I read Kizu now.
Jul 27, 2013 9:03 AM

Sep 2012
Mandatory for a new character in a Shaft show LOL

Gaen-san finally made her appearance !!
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 27, 2013 9:23 AM

Jun 2013
So that's.....Gaen. Why does she look the least bit intimidating at first glance?

Mod edit: removed unnecessary spoiler...
koleareJul 28, 2013 7:59 AM
Jul 27, 2013 10:28 AM

May 2012
Love Hanekawa's character development.

9/10
Jul 27, 2013 10:38 AM

Apr 2013
Finally!!!
Jul 27, 2013 10:42 AM

Sep 2012
I know most love Senjogahara but I really love Hanekawa. Tsubasa!

Again, ended on the exact line from the novel I was expecting. Very cool, the letter to her other self.
hpulleyJul 27, 2013 4:12 PM
Jul 27, 2013 10:48 AM

Nov 2011
mugimugi said:
Finally. Gaen is awesome and Episode is pretty cool too. Also ahoge runs in family.

Stark700 said:

Nadekoooo. Nice seeing her this episode. In fact, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit.

wat

Oops, I messed up the characters' names. My bad.

Anyways, here's Gaen.
Stark700Jul 27, 2013 1:23 PM
Jul 27, 2013 10:56 AM

Sep 2012
Brown hair, hat, same character designer so I guess you can be excused :)

Jul 27, 2013 11:29 AM

Jul 2013
Another great episode of the second season 5/5

I was looking forward to seeing Episode animated after reading Kizu :D
Gaen is a pretty quirky looking character herself.

Honestly thought Araragi's mom won't be in the show after cutting out the dinner and breakfast scenes. Nice to know they kept her around for the semi-important talk with Hanekawa.

Also Hanekawa's reaction with the Araragi sisters' brother complex with their boyfriends XD
Jul 27, 2013 11:34 AM
Oct 2010
o gaen. cuteeee~ me gusta

didnt expect to see his mom 0_0 she reminds me of hitagi though
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jul 27, 2013 12:00 PM

Apr 2013
I love how they mention the chapter skips in these episodes, always makes me laugh a little.
I got used to Senjougahara''s hair easily, but adjusting to Karen and Tsukihi's hair styles is gonna take a while (especially Tsukihi's). I mean, has anyone really seen someone do their hair that way.

I'll get used to it eventually I guess.
Really liking how the new characters look so far. Nice episode.
MillsJul 27, 2013 2:54 PM
Jul 27, 2013 12:15 PM

Nov 2008
Another cliffhanger!!! I liked the new woman, but is he really Suruga's relative? I hope that we get to see more of Koyomi's parents.

Anyway, can someone explain this envy thing for me?
Jul 27, 2013 12:23 PM

May 2013
Can't wait for next episode!!
Jul 27, 2013 12:58 PM

Jul 2013
ClementIV said:
Another cliffhanger!!! I liked the new woman, but is he really Suruga's relative? I hope that we get to see more of Koyomi's parents.

Anyway, can someone explain this envy thing for me?

From the looks of it I believe the show will fully explain it next episode if i remember it from the LN correctly. But if you really want it, here it is

Jul 27, 2013 1:11 PM

Aug 2010
Good episode.

I don't know why but I felt that Koyomi's mom was a bit creepy. Her words were pretty deep though.

Loving Hanekawa's character development a lot though. She's the only girl I'm liking with Short hair from the new hair styles.

Loved seeing Episode animated. He looked pretty cool. Gaen is awesome too. Hope to see more of her.

Well can't wait to see Koyomi soon.
Jul 27, 2013 1:27 PM

Feb 2009

"Bad politics?"

Really?

TL Note, 苛政 means "tyranny" not "bad politics."
The translation of this is so much better in the LN: "No fiercer a tiger than the inflaming of tyranny."

Time to wait for Commie, I guess.
JOHJJul 27, 2013 1:33 PM
Jul 27, 2013 1:27 PM
Sep 2011
This episode caught me offguard. While the first three episodes of this season weren't bad by any means, it felt to me like something was lacking but I couldn't wrap my head around what it was. Maybe it's because most of the scenes were set indoors, restricted through limited space and the usual camera angles used for them, but I also felt like the wittiness of the dialogues were not on par to the standard Monogatari level, still featuring lots of unsaid subtext beneath them but more mundane and not as flashy.

Accustomed to them these were probably the reasons why the latest episode left me so dumbfounded. First of all the animation seems to have gotten an update compared to the last few episodes, though that could have been just me getting fooled by the lavish and stylish background art.

The newly introduced characters brought a fresh breeze of air to the show and appropiately Hanekawa's encounter with Gaen and Episode was set in a neomodern pedestrian zone, truly a feast for the eyes.
However, with their arrival the difficulty level of the dialogue including wordplay and the usual phrasing done in the most convoluted way possible have been noticably raised by a few notches. I had a hard time keeping up which is unusual for me even when it comes to this franchise.

Let's start with how Araragi's mother developed Hanekawa's simple "I'm heading out" comment further to a discussion about one's attitude towards family. As the latter one pointed out her phrase that one doesn't run away by averting one's eyes was full of ambiguous implications. Does averting one's eyes refer to ignoring the facts like Hanekawa is currently doing by pretending that everything's fine? Isn't running away from problems usually considered a short-term solution in contrast to settling it in the long run? Basically it probably comes down to that Hanekawa heading out from the Araragi household, which gave her shelter for a short time, metaphorically stands for her stopping averting her eyes and facing her problems head on. At least that's my interpretation.

(Btw does anyone get the impression that Araragi's mother appearance and way of talking is eerily similar to Senjougahara, tough love and all? I sense an oedipus complex especially with the Fire sisters implying a brother complex in the very same episode)

Now to the lion's share of this episode (not quite the pun I hoped for, but well, close enough):
Two (for anime-only watchers) new characters continue the trend of subverting the viewer's expectation of Hanekawa by nothing less than destroying her catchphrase. Suddenly she doesn't only knows what she knows but rather knows nothing at all! Episode's remark on how her "dreadful" aura has vanished or rather cut off (and instead materiializing in the form of Black Hanekawa perhaps?) supports the idea that Hanekawa has changed, quite radically so.

What follows is Hanekawa researching the term "Kako", which is the name she will refer the new apparition to according to Gaen, During the process she seeks out Senjougahra's and the Fire sisters' advice during the process (who knew that the Fire sisters are called so due to having the kanji for fire in their names?) and learns about the various connotations between "Tiger" and "Fire" which finally leads her to the term "envy"
In this regard I suspect the pattern Senjougahara conducted might be misleading and the apparition doesn't actually burns down places where Hanekawa spent the night but rather places that earns her disdain (which she automatically denies, white lies and everything). She clearly felt envious after Kanbaru told her of her planned meeting with Koyomi at the cram school, so the tiger probably lashes out where Hanekawa renounces her negative feelings.

On a sidenote, It was nice to see the animal anlogy introduced by Senjougahara mentioned again this episode by Hanekawa "marking" her territory in Koyomi's bed with her smell. I do wonder what she means with probably not being able to see him again...

EudaimoniaJul 27, 2013 2:35 PM
Jul 27, 2013 1:32 PM

Apr 2013
my neck hurts watching these episodes.
Jul 27, 2013 1:34 PM

May 2011
Looks like the fanservice got turned down and it's time for plot. Whoo.
Upon watching this episode, I realized that when I get a house, I want to model my room like Araragi's. That banana chair thing and the yellow stuff with artsy flooring looks awesome.
Jul 27, 2013 1:34 PM

Jul 2012
Nice to see Araragi's mother. I was surprised that they showed that.

Hanekawa's development and all the dialogue feels more profound this time around compared to the previous few. It's interesting trying to wrap my head around everything.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Jul 27, 2013 1:36 PM

Sep 2012
JOHJ said:

"Bad politics?"

Really?

The translation of this is so much better in the LN: "No fiercer a tiger than the inflaming of tyranny."

There are reasons why I read the novels in Japanese and turn off the subs entirely...

For those wondering, the chapters skipped from 26 to 52 are 'missing' in the book too, while the other single chapter numbers they've skipped are actually in the book.
Jul 27, 2013 1:41 PM

Oct 2012
Oh man, it's Gaen and Episode. I nearly forgot that they appeared in this arc and Gaen looks pretty awesome. Only one more episode left now and then we get Kabukimonogatari.

Yup, loved this episode, we even got to see Mamaragi.
Jul 27, 2013 1:42 PM

Nov 2012
Didn't expect to see the mother, also no idea who episode and the others. Laughed when the fire sisters said their boyfriends were like Araragi. XD As always, so fast, so good.

Jul 27, 2013 1:50 PM

Jan 2013
3 new characters.
Great episode
Jul 27, 2013 1:53 PM

Feb 2009
RediceRyan said:
3 new characters.
Great episode

Episode isn't new, he was in Kizumonogatari.
Jul 27, 2013 2:04 PM
Feb 2012
Eudaimonia said:

Let's start with how Araragi's mother developed Hanekawa's simple "I'm heading out" comment further to a discussion about one's attitude towards family. As the latter one pointed out her phrase that one doesn't run away by averting one's eyes is full of ambigious implications. Does averting one's eyes refer to ignoring the facts like Hanekawa is currently doing by pretending that everything's fine? Isn't running away from problems usually considered a short-term solution in contrast to settling it in the long run? Basically it probably comes down to that Hanekawa heading out from the Araragi household, which gave her shelter for a short time, metaphorically stands for her stopping averting her eyes and facing her problems head on. At least that's my interpretation.

Running away is generally regarded as cowardice, but that is mostly an issue of pride. There are going to be a number of situations where running away is a better idea than confrontation, Like if a train were coming, you could decide to run, try to stop it, or curl into a ball and pretend it isn't going to kill you. It mostly comes down to weighing the pro's and con's to choose the best method to approach a situation.

Specifically for Hanekawa's situation she has the option of running away from home as well as others, but she ignores the situation. It is a very difficult for the police or anyone to intervene in abuse cases because more often than not the abused will not acknowledge their abuse. Provoking the situation without being certain and without the support of the abused can damage their trust as well as cause more emotional turmoil and possibly elevate the danger of the situation. I don't think it is a coincidence that the mother is a police officer.
Jul 27, 2013 2:11 PM

Nov 2012
I see gaen finally show up XD
ah nadeko XD
grr... seriously I want the sub now XD so much conversation that I dont really understand
Jul 27, 2013 2:26 PM

Mar 2013
Fun new episode, I'm happy that the story is starting to move forward faster
Jul 27, 2013 2:37 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I was surprised by the appearance of Araragi's mother who struck me as a very similar kind of talk talking woman as Senjougahara. A psychologist would have a field with this I guess. Gael was an interesting character allright and I look forward to hear more about what she's doing in this world. Episode was kind of meh.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 27, 2013 2:52 PM
Sep 2011
Ragingpie said:
Eudaimonia said:

Let's start with how Araragi's mother developed Hanekawa's simple "I'm heading out" comment further to a discussion about one's attitude towards family. As the latter one pointed out her phrase that one doesn't run away by averting one's eyes is full of ambigious implications. Does averting one's eyes refer to ignoring the facts like Hanekawa is currently doing by pretending that everything's fine? Isn't running away from problems usually considered a short-term solution in contrast to settling it in the long run? Basically it probably comes down to that Hanekawa heading out from the Araragi household, which gave her shelter for a short time, metaphorically stands for her stopping averting her eyes and facing her problems head on. At least that's my interpretation.

Running away is generally regarded as cowardice, but that is mostly an issue of pride. There are going to be a number of situations where running away is a better idea than confrontation, Like if a train were coming, you could decide to run, try to stop it, or curl into a ball and pretend it isn't going to kill you. It mostly comes down to weighing the pro's and con's to choose the best method to approach a situation.

Specifically for Hanekawa's situation she has the option of running away from home as well as others, but she ignores the situation. It is a very difficult for the police or anyone to intervene in abuse cases because more often than not the abused will not acknowledge their abuse. Provoking the situation without being certain and without the support of the abused can damage their trust as well as cause more emotional turmoil and possibly elevate the danger of the situation. I don't think it is a coincidence that the mother is a police officer.

Ah, thanks for clearing this up. Seen from this angle running away would make sense, something the old Hanekawa would have never considered as an option. It does seem likely that the mother is indirectly trying to steer her in this direction.
Jul 27, 2013 3:05 PM
Jul 2013
Excuse me, does anyone know if Zokuowarimonogatari is truly the last book in the series? Or is there a chance Nisio might continue writing this masterpiece. Because I looked at wiki and im freaking out. Can't handle having my favorite things ending.
Jul 27, 2013 3:07 PM

Jul 2013
So a couple new characters were introduced in this episode were interesting.

The art and animation looks solid as ever as in the previous series.

Still no Araragi, and it's the 4th episode :(

Jul 27, 2013 3:08 PM

Nov 2012
kitonok said:
Excuse me, does anyone know if Zokuowarimonogatari is truly the last book in the series? Or is there a chance Nisio might continue writing this masterpiece. Because I looked at wiki and im freaking out. Can't handle having my favorite things ending.

just see it in the future.. anyway this is anime discussion not manga discussion..
just go to the manga forum -_-
Jul 27, 2013 3:13 PM

Jul 2013
wait... where is nadeko? did i missed her in this episode?
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Jul 27, 2013 3:35 PM

Nov 2008
Urek said:
wait... where is nadeko? did i missed her in this episode?

No you didn't there's no nadeko in this episode^^
Jul 27, 2013 3:37 PM

Jun 2010
Oh man. What is happening. I am so excited. With those new characters introduced. Shit is getting real on Koyomi's side. Seriously, every episode feels like 5 minutes. Everything in Monogatari is just too good!

Mod edit: removed unnecessary part...
koleareJul 28, 2013 8:09 AM
Jul 27, 2013 4:21 PM

Mar 2012
Very nice episode....new Monogatari characters spotted :)

My friend code: 0688 - 6300 - 6898
Jul 27, 2013 4:25 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
There is only one thing I dont like, you get to see characters like Episode and the story of he trying to killl Hanekawa on Kizumonogatari, but STILL for when it is Kizumonogatari to be released?! And WANT IT SO BADLY!! Anyway great episode, the dialogue and the art has always, makes me loving every second of it!
Jul 27, 2013 4:29 PM

Feb 2012
Cool Monogatari you got there gurl.

Nice new characters, can't wait to see more from them, and what's their job in all of this, also lol'd at this Episode dude, he said he's a vampire hunter, wonder who's he going to hunt.
Jul 27, 2013 4:39 PM

Jul 2013
when will the main lead appear?
Jul 27, 2013 4:47 PM

Mar 2013
I didnt think much of Araragi as a character to begin with but the show really lacks something without him.
Jul 27, 2013 5:00 PM

Jul 2012
Great episode!!!
Jul 27, 2013 6:13 PM

Jul 2013
Ramkec said:
Cool Monogatari you got there gurl.

Nice new characters, can't wait to see more from them, and what's their job in all of this, also lol'd at this Episode dude, he said he's a vampire hunter, wonder who's he going to hunt.

Episode isn't technically new. He was in Kizumonogatari(before all the other monogataris) with 2 other vampire hunters and when Shinobu and Araragi first met.
Jul 27, 2013 6:33 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 27, 2013 6:33 PM

Aug 2012
Episode episode!

I didn't think he would look so young, he looked older than that in the Kizu preview, but whatever he's half vamp. Gaen was just what I expected.
Amarrez said:

Kind of glad I read Kizu now.
Pretty much. Wait wait, now? :P

JOHJ said:

"Bad politics?"

Really?

Yeah seriously I feel bad for the anime only viewers that settled for HS, they didn't do too well with some of the piecing together and symbolism. I'm gonna rewatch with Commie and hopefully get a "that's hilarious" from Sode'-kun. HS should really have the LN chapters handy when translating, or at least read it before hand.
AlexTheRiotJul 27, 2013 6:48 PM
Jul 27, 2013 6:37 PM

Oct 2012
Another awesome episode, some new characters making their appearance which is all good:) and now Tsubasa is on to something, can't really wait to see how it unravels.
Jul 27, 2013 6:41 PM

Jan 2011

Gaen looks so chill 10/10 would hang out with/marry. Episode kinda reminds me of Gil from F/SN, smug yet likable.

The scenery in this show is amazing:

^Hanekawa got some major development this episode, learning about what she is doing wrong and taking the first step to fix it.
VioLinkJul 27, 2013 6:49 PM
[center]
Jul 27, 2013 7:04 PM

Jan 2011
Thought after all this time i've gotten used to the fast pace talking ...Nope! found myself replaying a few scenes when i lost my focus lol.

very good episode Why it whenever new characters pop up i always get a unsettling feel maybe it's because their always intimidating friend or foe!.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

101 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 16, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Dec 28, 2013

723 by Yubisoft »»
Apr 16, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

245 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 12, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

204 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 11, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2013

222 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 11, 3:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.