Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 21, 2013 6:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I just love the atmosphere of this episode.

Oh and more talking raccoons, although I'm not surprised. Oh wait, it's a kid. The setting feels natural too with the surrounding waters. Oh and of course, this woman continuously makes her strange way into the show:

Also, I spotted a floating house...we're not in Kansas anymore~
Jul 21, 2013 6:30 AM
Dec 2012
That froggy bro was adorable. lol The second half was impressive art-wise. That boat scene was nice.

It was a slow episode. Not much happened. Curious to see what they're gonna do with that flying house in next episode.
Jul 21, 2013 6:47 AM

Dec 2012
Stark700 said:
Oh and of course, this woman continuously makes her strange way into the show:

Ha ha, true and gold :)

De, why did she strip (the preview from the last episode).
Jul 21, 2013 8:27 AM

Jan 2012
Slow paced episode, but was fun to watch.
Satomi pulling a whales tail has to be the highlight of this episode. XD
Jul 21, 2013 8:50 AM

Oct 2012
This honestly looks like a movie that has been split up into 13 episodes...it kind of still has that same atmosphere you'd see in a movie made by Mamoru Hosoda. Am I the only one who thinks that?

Also, good episode. I'm enjoying this more and more every week.

P.S. This is making less and less sense every week.
AugerandJul 21, 2013 9:31 AM
"Now if you'll excuse me I must get back to my Madoka anime. Pink lesbian saved time lesbian and now they're about to fight Walmart"
Jul 21, 2013 9:05 AM

Jun 2012
Another great episode

I love all the little details P.A Works puts in such as the little brother's tail reverting back to normal when he's scared.

Also if I understood correctly it was Ginkaku and Kinkaku who crashed Yaichirou's lead for his parlor right? That's why they bribed Benten to not let Yasuburou borrow her parlor?
HybridMBLJul 21, 2013 9:51 AM
Jul 21, 2013 9:29 AM

Jun 2012
She is frighteningly strong. pretty awesome ep. but damn his dad turned into a mountain, what a badass
Jul 21, 2013 10:01 AM

Aug 2010
Loved it!

Yasuboro is still impressing me each ep. His character is really unique for a MC.

Benten is one crazy bitch XD Dat scene when she stripped to go pull a whale's tail was so...O_O

And how she just swung the fan and brought upon a storm! Damn the animation looked amazing there.

Frog bro looks pretty cool in his human form.

Nxt ep seems to be really enjoyable :D Can't wait.
Jul 21, 2013 10:06 AM

May 2013
Yashirou gets frightened too easily lol.
Jul 21, 2013 10:36 AM

Apr 2013
kurokouga said:
This honestly looks like a movie that has been split up into 13 episodes..
these are my exact thoughts, and I love it.. Beautiful scenery, animation and OST with some mysteries about the plot/characters here and there that we'll learn about later on.
Jul 21, 2013 10:58 AM

Jul 2012
This is so cool. I love this atmosphere. I want more now!! :)
Jul 21, 2013 11:05 AM

Nov 2011
I wonder what emotions she is hiding under that attitude...
Jul 21, 2013 11:34 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Another fun episode :) And we get to see their mother not cross dressing, she looks really pretty. Poor Yashirou getting scared, but I can see why because Benten is definitely a mysterious one. She seems nice but then says things like cooking tanuki meat...the whale part was interesting too. It was cool to see Yajirou in human form too, liking his hair. Lastly, Yasuburou is such a nice brother, little details like how he unwraps and gives the snacks to Yashirou ^^
Jul 21, 2013 12:37 PM
Jan 2011
tingy said:
Another fun episode :) And we get to see their mother not cross dressing, she looks really pretty. Poor Yashirou getting scared, but I can see why because Benten is definitely a mysterious one. She seems nice but then says things like cooking tanuki meat...the whale part was interesting too. It was cool to see Yajirou in human form too, liking his hair. Lastly, Yasuburou is such a nice brother, little details like how he unwraps and gives the snacks to Yashirou ^^

Benten is a loose canon!

TQ
Jul 21, 2013 1:40 PM

Mar 2010
Weird family of tanukis. I feel like they have a habit of gender bending. Benten stripped and she has no underwear. She wants to pull a whale's tail I really don't get it at first and boom.. she's freaking strong.
Jul 21, 2013 1:44 PM

Jan 2011

Fuck yeah Benten!

Next episode looks like its gonna be a BLAST.
VioLinkJul 21, 2013 1:49 PM
[center]
Jul 21, 2013 1:58 PM

Apr 2011
I'm surprised the score is so low for this series, everything has been golden for me so far.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jul 21, 2013 2:14 PM

Apr 2013
Ineptia said:
I'm surprised the score is so low for this series, everything has been golden for me so far.
people are looking for fast-paced, in your face, action packed, everything explained first episode, anime.. maybe thats y.
Jul 21, 2013 2:56 PM

Jan 2008
Ugh, man.

Mamiko Noto makes me physically shiver with her performance in this. Absolutely sublime.

And again, MAI NAKAHARA'S ROLE IN THIS IS TOO FUCKING CUTE.
Jul 21, 2013 4:15 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
neontaster said:
I wonder what emotions she is hiding under that attitude...
I think she knows something, and she's having fun watching as events start to play out.
Jul 21, 2013 4:20 PM
Aug 2011
This show is a gem.

Ineptia said:

Maybe because there's not enough little school girls in a club or playing basketball.
Jul 21, 2013 4:59 PM

Jan 2011
parfaited said:
This show is a gem.

Ineptia said:

Maybe because there's not enough little school girls in a club or playing basketball.

Generally the tendency is for scores to climb as the series goes on (at least for the quality shows). After the first few episodes most of the ADHD explosion junkies have dropped, rated, and moved on. The folks who wait till the series finishes generally give the eights or above on a show that builds a following. (Of course all bets are off if we get an ass-pull ending.) I just think Benten sets the bar for a character that is fascinating (in the original "dangerous and perilous" meaning). Even though I know she could do me serious harm without a second thought, I just want to get close to her (another Mine Fujiko).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 21, 2013 5:05 PM

Nov 2012
VioLink said:

Fuck yeah Benten!

Next episode looks like its gonna be a BLAST.

Highlight of the episode imo.
Jul 21, 2013 5:54 PM

May 2010
I just love the atmosphere and mood of the show, it's slow-paced, but the good kind of slow-pace if that makes any sense.

Definitely Benten is a mysterious character that really draws you in and makes you wonder what the hell she's doing and what she's done. Which brings me to my next point about how this anime really likes to tease you with plot relevant information. Instead of information dumping the how's, why's, and reasoning behind the plot or setting, Uchouten just gives tidbits of information to lure you in.

This episode for example, we have the running theme of the Shimogamo father being a god-like idol for which everyone respected and the tengu feared. We also get some more talk about the Yakushibo hurting himself incident and see more of the influence and power Benten has. Oh and also some information about the feud between the two tanuki families and an arranged marriage. But for all this information, none of it is really explained in depth and is really left up in the air for interpretation.

I hope as this series goes on, we delve into the meat of the story since they're doing quite a fine job in building it up in my opinion. =)
Jul 21, 2013 5:58 PM

Jan 2013
The first 15 minutes were uninteresting and boring.

The last 8 minutes were great. Amazing animation and artstyle all throughout.
Jul 21, 2013 6:45 PM

Jul 2010
This show keeps surprising me with its amazing atmosphere.The more i see the more i want.
Also, i really like Benten for some reason.In general, i love it.
Jul 21, 2013 6:57 PM
Aug 2012
As always, the atmosphere and music are spectacular.
I really think we should get some explanation as to what the fuck is going on though.
Jul 21, 2013 8:15 PM
Oct 2012
Sorayin said:
As always, the atmosphere and music are spectacular.
I really think we should get some explanation as to what the fuck is going on though.

What do you mean? The show is pretty self explanatory. My advice is not to worry about the plot too much. This is an alternative Japan, where magical tanuki/tengu live besides humans in Kyoto, and all three have some form of magic. As sky creatures, the Tengu control the weather, thus the Tengu sensei gave Benten a fan that controls weather. Tanuki have the ability to change their appearance, thus the MC's father was the best at this ability, able to fake a mountain. A lot of the motifs are Japanese, thus those in the west may not immediately get it, so just accept it and enjoy it.

The plot is a basic "coming of age story", which the Japanese love to show during summer. Discount all the magical aspects of this story, what this is really about is the MC growing up to become a member of a greater society.
Jul 21, 2013 9:38 PM

May 2013
I really like the OST.

If only Yasaburou's father were alive... that would change a lot.

Yashirou is so cute when he's scared!

Benten is not only hot, but also an interesting and mysterious character.

My interest is still hanging on this journey.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jul 21, 2013 10:23 PM

Apr 2009
This anime makes me really curious of the original novel it is based on. Too bad that it hasn't been translated into english yet.
Jul 21, 2013 10:58 PM

May 2012
Benten is a wild girl. Hope we can see more of the frog brother in his human form next week.
Jul 21, 2013 11:31 PM

Feb 2012

Dat skinny dip.
Jul 22, 2013 12:19 AM

Jan 2013
Yvese said:

Dat skinny dip.
Now that's the highlight for this week's episode, imo.

On topic: Interesting and enjoyable episode.
Dat Benten is a mysterious one indeed.
And it seems the old man sensei is a Tengu if I'm not mistaken?
CabronJul 22, 2013 12:23 AM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 22, 2013 1:36 AM

May 2011
This show is the most pleasant surprise of the season for me thus far. I wasn't even going to pick it up until I saw a random gif of it and thought, "Wow, that's some amazing animation."

I really love all the characters, and the animation and music are both beautiful. This has become one of the shows I look forward to most every week. ;>

Jul 22, 2013 2:39 AM

Dec 2012
So, between the Shimogamo and Ebisugawa families a feud exists, in spite the efforts of the late Souichirou to bring the clans closer by the arranged marriage of Yasaburou and Kaisei. The circumstances are still unknown, but if we take a closer look at the Tengu clans in this episode, struggles for power, dominance, or succession seem possible explanations.

Apparently, the late father was a tanuki to be reckoned with - he cheated off the not-so-popular Kurama Tengu few years ago by doing this:

It reminded me the bus-cat in Totoro and also the criminal easiness with which the series throws mythological stuff then blends it with real life. Really wanted to post it!

One would think that all the hassle with the Leisure Cruise-Inner Parlor-Flying Tearoom is really about celebrating the culmination of the Obon activities in the Kyoto Gozen Fire Festival ..., SHIKASHI the crazy party tanuki (who don't fly, unlike tengu) usually throw, is about the party itself - celebrating life than the departure of the spirits of the deceased.
The family Inner parlor is no more (didn't get why), Yaichirou fails in bringing one for the festival, so Yasaburou resorts to borrowing the Tengu Professor's own parlor - that is, from Benten, who apparently had been gifted with an increasing number of the traditional Tengu possessions - the folding Fujin/Raijin fan being (only) one of them. Somehow, she and Yasaburou are at the bottom of the Demon King Cedar Incident that caused the old tengu professor to lose his ability to fly, and her connections with the Kurama tengu and the Friday Fellows society raise the suspicions on her role how Yasaburou's father perished higher.

Looking through the history, the humans actively have changed the meaning of some mythological creatures - between the Buddhism and Shinto and in the course of time - but mythological creatures also took part into shaping humans' history - a DaiTengu was a mentor to Minamoto no Yoshitsune (so, the professor taking a liking of the human Benten seems not so odd and unheard of, albeit romantic and stupidly obsessive :)), and Benten herself mocks at Yasaburou, comparing him with Nasu no Yoichi (the arrow-love letter delivery in episode 1, when the Fujin/Raijin fan was pierced).

Curiously, Yasaburou and Kaisei have never seen each other face to face. Regardless, Yasaburou is respectful to Kaisei and Kaisei is helpful to his family in her own way. The rest of the Ebisugawas are scums though, especially when bullying Yashirou, whose Mom told him to grow a backbone (<- "moms" - the best thing in the world to listen to if you need to man up! :D). The brother with the frog procrastination is hilarious (and cool looking in his human form) - it's a pity to see him mostly shaped as a frog.
If anything, a party or not, I think that each of the sons have inherited a trait of their father, which had made him loved and popular ... Well, also idiotic, and the next episode seems promising in this direction.
zellamiJul 22, 2013 2:46 AM
Jul 22, 2013 5:16 AM

Jul 2010
Great atmosphere! Still having trouble figuring out what the whole point of everything is, but I guess I'll catch on... eventually.

Jul 22, 2013 5:22 AM

Jul 2013
The highlight of this episode had to be Benten pulling the whale's tail lol. This episode was a bit slow-paced, but I enjoyed it. I actually wanted to see Yachirou beg Yasaburou for help though :/
Jul 22, 2013 6:33 AM

Jun 2010
Man I don't understand the relationship between the characters. I'm so curious what's between Yasaburou and Benten.

I need to see Kaisei. I will die from curiousness.

Benten is so mysterious. I can't wait for everything to unfold.

Damn when Benten took off her clothes in front of Yasaburou. So hot.

I wonder what's that Demon Lord Cedar incident.

Also why is that Yasaburou's father didn't just transform when he was about to get boiled in a hot pot? He was strong enough to transform into a mountain yet he got eaten...

Stark700 said:
I just love the atmosphere of this episode
Jul 22, 2013 8:35 AM

Oct 2012
Didn't like Benten at first but now I'm starting to think she's a really interesting character. Another great episode, there's just something about this series that just makes every episode so relaxing and enjoyable.

Looks like the next episode will be will be pretty good, with the flying house and all.
Jul 22, 2013 8:42 AM

Jul 2013
The atmosphere is nice and the art is great, but yeah, a slow episode. Benten still seems unpredictable as ever. I'm glad we're seeing more of the things their late father accomplished, too. Everything was still nice to watch, I just hope more happens next time.
Jul 22, 2013 9:25 AM

Apr 2011
I love this show :)

Feels like I almost have to research Japanese folklore to fully understand this show, I knew a little and I thought that would be enough and I'm sure it helped me enjoy it a little more then others. If anything this show just makes me want to learn more, I've always found their folklore to be very interesting. Next episode looks like it will be a major one.

WTF is Benten? Is she like a godess or something? Also does anyone know the details of what the whole "pulling a whale's tail" thing is? A quick google search didn't amount to anything. I'm curious.
Jul 22, 2013 3:34 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
WTF is Benten? Is she like a godess or something? Also does anyone know the details of what the whole "pulling a whale's tail" thing is? A quick google search didn't amount to anything. I'm curious.
LOL, don't read TO much into things. I think the pulling the whale tail was just a fancy, much like some people can't resist pulling a puppy or kitten's tail.

I *think* Benten is "just" a human who can use magic, and was one of the professor's students (abet a rather close one). Having said that, personally for purposes of where this show is going I'm placing her at the center of the story right now.
CratexJul 22, 2013 3:49 PM
Jul 22, 2013 3:53 PM
Oct 2012
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I love this show :)

Feels like I almost have to research Japanese folklore to fully understand this show, I knew a little and I thought that would be enough and I'm sure it helped me enjoy it a little more then others. If anything this show just makes me want to learn more, I've always found their folklore to be very interesting. Next episode looks like it will be a major one.

Here is some background on the mythological Benten. She is a tough one to explain because she is one of the more syncretic (combining both native Japanese and imported Buddhist elements) gods in Japan.

As for who she is in this show, we don't know. My guess is that she isn't human, she seems a little too powerful, and she has been shown around water a lot, which would be a Benzaiten trait, but this show is taking japanese mythology and reinventing it, so one can't equate one to the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzaiten
Jul 22, 2013 4:11 PM

Dec 2012
-MgZ_ said:

Also why is that Yasaburou's father didn't just transform when he was about to get boiled in a hot pot? He was strong enough to transform into a mountain yet he got eaten...

A good point. Tanuki can be masters of illusions, but in the real world they are still small animals.

If you remember the previous episode, the Mom panicked and turned back into tanuki when she heard the thunders. The sons feared that she might run into the traffic, because of the shock, and so on. When scared or startled, Yashirou pops up the tail or reverts completely to a tanuki. That is, their ability might be powerful and successful most of the time, but not omnipotent (humans could be even scarier to them).

I am guessing here, but the father could have also been in some sort of an incident, like ... being disabled and unconscious, so he couldn't transform and defend himself. In this state pretty much any human (or youkai enemy) could pick him up as tanuki and finish the soup -_-;

Another possibility is that he was tricked and betrayed by the Ebi~ brother and somehow the soup for the Friday Fellows Club/Benten took the official blame. If Kaisei though knows something about it, this would explain why her father broke the engagement, why she helps Yasaburou's mom (at least), and why she doesn't want to face Yasaburou, although they are not engaged anymore.

But this is a rather bleak scenario for the series, so I'll bet on some unfortunate incident and the engagement thing can be explained by other theories as well.
Jul 22, 2013 4:27 PM
Oct 2012
zellami said:
Another possibility is that he was tricked and betrayed by the Ebi~ brother and somehow the soup for the Friday Fellows Club/Benten took the official blame. If Kaisei though knows something about it, this would explain why her father broke the engagement, why she helps Yasaburou's mom (at least), and why she doesn't want to face Yasaburou, although they are not engaged anymore.

But this is a rather bleak scenario for the series, so I'll bet on some unfortunate incident and the engagement thing can be explained by other theories as well.

He could have also been passed out drunk as a possibility. Those Tanuki do love their alcohol.

My guess is that we will find Ebisugawa did have something to do with it. The smirk he had when he broke off the engagement says a lot, as does the conduct of the two brothers. It seems pretty clear that he was jealous of the prestige the father had from the greater community. If he didn't do the dirty deed himself, then he broke off the engagement (and enjoyed it) because it allowed him to lord it over the mother. Kaisei's shyness may be related to mere shame at her family, which either way it is clear why she feels that way.

As for this series being bleak, I think it will go that way for a bit. This is not a lighthearted animation.
Jul 22, 2013 5:00 PM

Dec 2012
Yeah, I forgot about the booze :x Quite the possibility, really. Although the father doesn't seem careless, shit happens (especially if you're drunk).

Seems like the Uncle is either a snob, or a dirty rival.

If things are to be maturer, I'd say that Kaisei is aware of Yasaburou's infatuation with Benten, which also could be one of the reasons for the broken engagement. Her glittering eye under the bridge looked like a tear - she may be timid, shy, feel shameful or guilty, but why not heart-broken, too? (Apologies for the cruel wording -_-; ).

Anyway, we live and see :)
Jul 23, 2013 2:57 AM

Apr 2013
For some what reason I nearly cried at the end of the episode..
Jul 23, 2013 8:37 AM

May 2013
love you Benten!!!!!

she is so cool and tsun at the same time

i wonder if she is tsun or yandere?
Jul 23, 2013 9:09 AM

Jul 2010
This is awesome, the music, the art, the atmosphere, to me it seemed pretty much perfect and enjoyable. Also, we are sure about this: Benten knows something important.

Looking forward to the next episode.

parfaited said:
This show is a gem.

Ineptia said:

Couldn't agree more. My favorite show this season, together with Watamote.
Jul 23, 2013 12:21 PM

Jan 2008
I won't say anything new - atmosphere in this anime is WON-DER-FUL. Also that excellent pacing, loved every minute of it, the finale being the best of course. Benten is truly a fascinating character, even if your brain is telling you to run for your live, your heart wants to experience every second of her presence.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2013

83 by blinddig »»
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Do you think the series will get a s3?

Vamp_Lord - Oct 28, 2023

4 by InNeedOfAName »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2013

95 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 6:26 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2013

104 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:25 AM

» How can someone willingly eat someone they know??

Gilsaber - Jul 15, 2021

14 by JKKH »»
Jul 27, 2023 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.