Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 22, 2014 6:11 PM

Aug 2013
bigzzcobzz said:
Good movie.

btw I didn't understand if the main character was a genius or an idiot, he asked his wife if he could smoke and she was sick, wtf that makes no sense.

They both know they don't have much time left with each other, so they do what they want to make each other happy while theres still time.
Jul 25, 2014 9:36 AM
Jan 2008
ArcAdeAlchemist said:
I was a little upset that Naoko lost her French accent.. And we never actually saw her die... But that's preferences... This was a Fantastic conclusion to Miyazakis career.. Also ghibli films have such amazing dubs... JGL as jirou was genius.

I agree that the Ghibli dubs are all genuinely well done, but I was honestly very disappointed with The Wind Rises. And I'm sorry but JGL was not good at all. He sounded like he was just reading cue cards with zero emotion. That really killed the dub for me, which is a shame because Whitman, Short, and Tucci put a lot of emotion and heart and energy into their performances, but when JGL is this lifeless, it smashes any positives the dub may have. The chemistry between him and Emily as Nahoko, I'm sorry to say, fell flat on its face. Emily DID do a pretty good job as Nahoko, but when JGL sounds monotonous and lifeless, then there's no genuine chemistry between them. Because of that, the love story is disappointingly ineffective in the dub.

Don't get me wrong, there WERE parts of the Wind Rises dub I did like: the use of accents was good and there were a FEW good performances from some characters, but everybody else really didn't stand out to me and overall I found it to be the worst of the Disney-Ghibli dubs. But that's just me.
Jul 26, 2014 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
Planes. Planes. Planes! Even though I don't know anything about planes, I love this movie. :3
Jul 31, 2014 6:29 AM

Aug 2007
Finally I saw the movie on the original japanese dub. And O.o Hideaki Anno did a great job as a seiyuu!
Aug 5, 2014 9:21 AM

Feb 2012
I was expecting an average experience and that's exactly what I got. From the first time I even heard of this movie, I knew exactly how it was going to be. Miyazaki being old and feeling the need to forcefeed people a magnum opus that nobody needed or wanted. Unfortunately an anime pretending to be quality cinema is usually a bad anime, even if Miyazaki himself refuses to consider his works to be anime.
Aug 6, 2014 1:45 AM

Jun 2012
nothing to say finally it's a Ghibli anime
Aug 8, 2014 9:51 PM

Jul 2010
That movie gave me an idea of how to be a creative engineer, simple but definitely not a cliche or something. Imaginative and descriptive components and that type of dramatic romance were the most interesting parts throughtout the movie for me.
Aug 13, 2014 4:06 PM

Jul 2013
a fantastic movie. giving me at the end a big impression of thinking about my own life compared to the main character, though it was fictional. I've watched it in theatre and I felt very bad, when the audience who were sitting behind me were crying and I didn't. Well, I've seen it in ger dub version and I'm fine with it, didn't affect the film in a bad way. I expected that Miyazaki's last movie would be a 11/10, unfortunately I give it a 9/10.
Aug 19, 2014 1:45 PM
Jul 2014
great movie.
Altough i am a bit dissapionted about the main character making some stupid choices especially in regards to his wife.
I suppose i really just did not like his leaving so he did not have to see her death.
Still 5/5 because it is still a great movie.
Just wish the ending was a little happier.

Well i suppose i can confort my self with the fact that the real life counterparts of the main charaters both got pretty old
Sep 2, 2014 1:53 AM

Jan 2012
average /10
Sep 14, 2014 11:10 PM
Sep 2012
GohanwaOkazu said:
I believe this is a film that Hayao Miyazaki wanted and felt had to be made for the Japanese audience. Whether will it will be liked by the audience in Japan or worldwide was secondary issue to him while he was making it.

Without knowing the social-cultural contexts of the production of this film, it's a bit hard to understand the strong message (it's pretty obvious for the Japanese, but somehow it was misunderstood elsewhere). The Great Eastern Japan Earthquake of 2011 shook Japan entirely with uncertainty with over 18,500 people dead or missing and 400,000 homes destroyed; at one point there was serious risk that 40 million residents in the Kanto Region including Tokyo had to evacuate because of the defunct nuclear power plant. Then, there was ongoing conflict at sea with China over the small islands, which fueled the increasing popularity of the rightist nationalist wing in politics among the younger generation of Japan, amid fears that war is inevitable in the future, sometime soon.

The wind was rising. And it was not a gentle breeze; it was a strong wind of turmoil which had very striking dark similarities to pre-war Japan. The Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 produced fear among Japanese people that ethnic Koreans and Chinese were plotting a revolt and releasing poison in the wells- which was exploited by right-wingers and led to a massacre of hundreds of innocent people. Also, the uncertainty created by Great Depression in 1929 also fueled the rightists and eventually the feeble democracy was overwhelmed by the military which drove Japan into expansionism, endless war with China, and subsequent defeat in the Asia-Pacific War.

Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises) is not a story about ordinary heroism. The Japanese know too vividly from recent memory that at the period of crisis a simple superhero cannot solve the situation; a Batman or two cannot solve real issues like severe natural disasters and looming war. The issue is too big and serious and complex for that; at time of crisis an all-promising hero is usually the villain. As in the film and reality, preachers preach nonsense with authoritative voice. But then what can normal people do? Be happy and join the mob? Or stand back in complete apathy, like some in the very young generation of the Japanese? Or kill oneself in despair, like some people chose to do after they lost hope after the Earthquake?

Jiro in Kaze Tachinu lives on positively by doing what he is best at doing. It's his lifework to make planes; he does not stop it although he knows Naoko is dying. Naoko knows that life is short and instead of being kept alive in hospital at vegetative level tries to live and burn out for her love, supporting Jiro.

The wind rises. We must live.

Kaze Tachinu is a strong ode for human dignity, with direct messages to the Japanese audience at the time of crisis, ongoing peril, helplessness, and apathy. It is also an allegory that sends off alarms (after all Jiro made the best planes that never came back). Whether it would be appreciated sympathetically in Japan or worldwide was least of Miyazaki's concern when he made this film. He had to make it as an aging son of a factory manager supplying materials for warplanes during WW2. It's meant to be his last will and testament (although I do hope he'll change his mind and make more films).

Overall, this isn't my most favorite film of Miyazaki, but some scenes are very beautiful and poetic (like the marriage and first night) that I can never slate this as score: 6/10 or call it underwhelming. I thought it was a masterpiece while seeing at the theater and I still think it is.

Thx for sharing.

For me is a 7/10.
Sep 15, 2014 4:24 AM

Apr 2009
Damn, Naoko died. >_< I consoled myself by reading elsewhere that in real life his wife didn't have tuberculosis and they had children.

Anywhere and in any times, the future is uncertain anyways so the wind will always rise and as always, we must try to live.

This is not my favorite Ghibli or Miyazaki film but it's still great. 7/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Sep 16, 2014 3:12 AM

Nov 2011
Really sad at all the hate this show is getting, it is nothing short of a masterpiece imo, i could really feel Miyazaki's emotions poured into this unlike never before. Tonari no Totoro has always been my favorite Ghibli film, this is now no. 2. Still annoyed it was beaten to an Oscar by Frozen :(

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Sep 18, 2014 8:24 PM

Aug 2012
Naoko-san, you will be missed :<
Sep 26, 2014 1:49 PM

Jun 2012
And here I thought all ghibli movies were shit. This movie was brilliant! I absolutely loved it.
Nov 17, 2014 11:24 AM

Apr 2008
I don't regret watching at all.

I agree with one thing. As much as I don't like smoking, that's how it was. Japan is one of the core smoking places of the world. It just reflects in the movie, especially with the economy in a tank and the engineers working that buns off DURING World War II. Keeping that in mind, I can easily imagine that the director was not trying to force pro-smoking. Miyazaki, who does a lot of fantasy works, seems to care about how the atmosphere of something looks, whether animal or human.

The criticism of the movie seems to stem from disliking the person Mizayaki himself (especially his politics) and how Miyazaki romanticizes a particular engineer, from his marriage and tragic love life, which didn't happen in real life, to how he modifies history. This isn't a documentary, its a fiction because the director wanted to give a tribute. Of course it's going to be dramatized. The question is whether you like it or not.

The man said he loves planes and I think you can really tell whiel watching this movie. I rarely see a show where there is so much life in it. Ten minutes in and there's life and labor. WWII, freakin' Oxen, lack of urbanizing, using wells, etc.

And I LOVE AIRPLANES TOO! That's why I was engaged so easily. The movie "doesn't have a goal"? We're following the life of an engineer and his passion of planes (or rather the director's passion of planes). When you really like something, you can prove it. You engage yourself to learn/study more in that thing you like, and in the instance of planes, it's how its built and how it flies, what's in it, etc. As a director/producer, it's easier to do. The scenes of imagining the planes fly and the internal parts, wow. It does look like it's through an engineer's eyes. I mean, I never seen graph paper look so...it's graph paper! LOL. So lively. And the freakin' meeting between engineers.

Why would people criticize the dreams/imagination parts? What's wrong with that? Sure its not real.

Now..Horikoshi. Miyazaki, I know Anno is your friend and that he's a director, but using what he [Anno] knows to exhibit Jiro's passion is not convincing. Especially for love.

There's more to say, such as why there was the special police and what was going on with Calstrop. I too have my irks with the romance; it was also a long movie, which i think it drags in some places, but has its fun moments that gives it a human feel even if the scenes don't have to be there.

And I get to cry. That's all.
shakeyourpup45Nov 17, 2014 5:20 PM
Nov 17, 2014 11:32 AM

Dec 2009
In one word, beautiful.

I was taken by the animation & really enjoyed the score. The romance was heart warming yet saddening. Like some others, this won't go down as my favorite or top 3 Miyazaki movie. I enjoyed this more than Ponyo & would choose it over Castle of Cagliostro but it didn't come close to Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa..., Castle In The Sky, & especially Spirited Away. I actually haven't watched The Aviator but I may this weekend, I'm wondering how they compare. From what I recall that also appeared to be a drawn out affair about a guy who made planes. I expect I will have liked this one better. I somehow felt empty and confused at the end, this is the only Miyazaki film I wasn't sure how it was supposed to make me feel. Just kinda, life sucks but you go on living and doing your best. I think in the end, there are some Ghibli films I love to watch and re-watch but this doesn't feel like it will be one of them. I really hope some day we get more animated films like the ones Miyazaki gave us.

7/10.
Such junk...
Nov 23, 2014 2:02 AM

Oct 2010
If you enjoy wasting your time, watch this movie. Following on the hype train I finally got around to watching this film. I kept watching, waiting for plot, character developments, or something to grab me and convince me why I should care about this film and why it is important and good.

This did not happen.

Instead we received a boring biopic about a relatively obscure engineer who's life, frankly, would have been better off forgotten given the amount of hours wasted watching its unremarkable happenings play out in fancy digital-looking graphics in a tired and cliched setting unbecoming of the once-great Ghibli of Mononoke, Nausicaa Laputa fame.
Dec 13, 2014 11:41 PM

May 2010
The romantic interaction is the one aspect that was most forced and weakest component of the movie, yet it was also the most enjoyable to watch.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 16, 2014 2:22 AM

Jun 2012
Wow, I am really impressed by this film, for some reason this one really stands out to me among the other studio ghibli flms. I really liked the animation, art, traditional themes and soundtracks, tying into history, voice acting, and I thought the topic of engineering was very intriguing (I'm not trying to sound like a reviewer, I'm just saying I liked pretty much all of this animation).

I liked both aspects of the film, on a love tale and crafting a new style of aircraft.

Wow, I really like Kadokawa's character, he is so realistic.
Those were some beautiful airplanes alright.

Dec 23, 2014 11:24 PM

Jul 2012
Maybe my expectations were too high, but I thought it was a good movie. I love how much passion he has for what he does. I'll probably rate it after reading analyses on it.
Dec 27, 2014 9:07 PM
Jan 2008
shakeyourpup45 said:
Miyazaki, I know Anno is your friend and that he's a director, but using what he [Anno] knows to exhibit Jiro's passion is not convincing. Especially for love.

I don't usually say this, but as somebody who genuinely loves the Ghibli-Disney dubs, this is the only one where the Japanese version trounces the Disney version. Big time. Hideaki Anno sounds awkward during the train sequence, yes. But his performance during the latter half is far more tolerable and less robotic than JGL. I don't know what JGL was going for, but it just doesn't work. His performance is far too wooden to be really effective. Anno I found to be the better performance.

Now this isn't to say there aren't any saving graces with the dub for The Wind Rises. Martin Short, Werner Hertzog, Mae Whitman, and Stanley Tucci all perform their roles brilliantly. But everyone else is either meh or unremarkable.

The love story is also the weakest part of the film and really crushes the momentum from its first half. I blame that mainly on the flat performance of Levitt, and there was no chemistry between him or Emily Blunt. Now in all fairness, Blunt does try but when Levitt sounds monotonous and she is not, then there is a problem.
Jan 10, 2015 8:53 AM

Aug 2011
When Naoko said on the hotel that she had the disease. I knew this was gonna end bad and I worried through the whole film. That ruined some of the enjoyment from me. Im a sucker for nice endings. I know it's based on a true story but meh...
Feb 12, 2015 6:03 PM

Apr 2012
Don't know what people see in this; didn't find myself caring about anything that was happening.
Feb 13, 2015 7:23 AM

Aug 2013
This movie was not as superb/amazing/excelent as everyone said. And it was not Miyazaki's best. People were saying this movie was a masterpiece just because of the facts that it was directed by Miyazaki and produced by Studio Ghibli. It was ok, but not a masterpiece. Just because some of the scenes made you thinking, it does not mean the movie was deep and unique. The plot went everywhere. 7/10 for me.
When people asked 'why are you so quiet?',
just answer 'why are you not?'
Mar 16, 2015 3:25 PM

Nov 2014
Good movie.

Mar 29, 2015 2:06 AM

Jan 2013
This movie was a masterpiece of work in every way, and deserves a clear and obvious 10.

Naoko's story striked right through my feelings, this is hard to bear.
Apr 5, 2015 2:06 PM

Mar 2014
The beginning wasn't all that strong, but it got better after the earthquake scene.

Anno's voice acting was definitely a bit off-putting, but I got used to it by the end.

The pacing in the middle felt a little long-winded, but I really liked the climax, and the buildup to it. It definitely pulled on my heartstrings.

Kind of an odd choice for an ending scene, though.

Not Miyazaki's best work, but certainly not his worst. I gave it an 8 out of 10.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 6, 2015 7:01 AM

Feb 2012
Mathematics student not an engineer; I geeked majorly when I saw those slide rules and equations but 1920s aircraft design was wacky, how many wings does that Caproni guy need? Miyazaki sure loves flying, is there any movie by him that does not involve a flight scene?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 7, 2015 10:09 AM

Feb 2012
I saw a lot of smoking scenes when I saw the movie yesterday and now I have read it received a lot of complaints from Japanee anti-smoking groups because of it.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 15, 2015 6:01 PM

Jun 2007
The irony of Anno of Evangelion fame - a MASTER of characterisation - voicing a monotone robot in a Miyazaki film is just priceless.

Even when I was younger, whenever I watched Miyazaki films I always noticed something was... off. Usually a combination of fantasy elements and adventure masked it, but over the years I came to realise: he is simply incapable of creating human, relatable characters. Takahata directed all of Ghibli's more down-to-earth, character driven movies for this reason, I have no doubt. And that's why I like Takahata's films. Even Nausicaa was an altruistic LOVE ALL LIFE character famous for being more than human.

As a number of people said on the first page, this film was a pointless snore. The worst Ghibli film and the most boring anime I've finished--I had to try three times! It was like a documentary... just without any interesting information. There wasn't even a 'film' here: just a series of inconsequential events as a lead characterised only by wearing glasses and having a mission to create planes imitated a robot. The Mary Sue 'romance', which literally needed the lead to say he loved her, was so detached from any form of reality and mind-numbingly dull that their 'love' talk consisted of the lead ignoring the fact she was dying as he aroused her by talking about sodding bolts.

Comically bad, at times. How it needed dreams with Italian Mustache and an earthquake that made monster noises at the start just for SOMETHING semi-interesting... I can forgive, say, Mamoru Oshii when he's self indulgent: he has a message he wants to convey. Here?... a robot in disguise created a plane as the Mary Sue love he neglected walked off to die. THE END.

Hopefully this is the last film Miyazaki creates. I say this having rated Mononoke 9/10. He was never even the best director at Ghibli.
AironicallyHumanApr 15, 2015 7:40 PM
Apr 29, 2015 11:56 PM

Jun 2012
Was a bit too drawn out. It didnt need to be 2+ hours. Honestly felt like I was watching a documentary at times. Still was interesting, and I loved the romance aspect. I wish Ghibli went back to the fantasy settings they used often in their early works.
May 21, 2015 11:24 AM
Jan 2015
Primus2x said:
Mathematics student not an engineer; I geeked majorly when I saw those slide rules and equations but 1920s aircraft design was wacky, how many wings does that Caproni guy need? Miyazaki sure loves flying, is there any movie by him that does not involve a flight scene?

Physics student here; sort of felt the same. I liked how the story was about Jiro's journey as an engineer, which I could relate to a little. Also, the ending reminded me of Richard Feynman's early life story, who
lived around the same time, and also worked in WWII (on the Manhattan project). Feynman's been sort of an idol for me which made this film more inspiring than it would otherwise have.

Also agree that Anno's voice for Jiro was good, but not excellent. Mostly, he sounded too old; when I watched it, I was like "the voice actor must be like 50 years old", and sure enough, he was.
May 30, 2015 11:42 AM

May 2009
Love this movie, had me on the edge my seat. The passion and love in it really got me to enjoy this movie, the animation was top notch as well!
May 30, 2015 9:18 PM

Feb 2015
Holy crap, that was a long two hours. The first half felt like it could have been leading into something interesting but instead appeases the people that need romance in everything they watch. Naoko added nothing to the movie other than to try getting some emotion out of the viewer. Her illness was just lame move by Miyazaki to try to keep the viewers attention. I know it's fictionalized but giving a character tuberculosis just for 'feels' is low. I couldn't fall back to my interest in the engineering aspect of the movie after Naoko and Jiro became a couple. It went from inspiring and full of potential to sappy romance and man tries to balance love and work. I thought it was funny that another bit of the fictionalization was Miyazaki made Jiro's elder brother into a little sister. Why make an elder brother figure when you can make a cute little sister that gets mad when her brother makes her wait?
Jun 10, 2015 3:37 PM

Jun 2011
I didn't think I would live the day when I wouldn't like a Miyazaki movie. I'm very disappointed that such a talented man couldn't live with a bang. :-(
The movie itself was quite tiresome, flipping from scene to scene and time-skipping every few minutes without any particular reason. Miyazaki seems to genuine try to do a nice job but this one is definitely not fit as his final work. The development seems too sloppy and the dialogues are quite simple and stupidly meaningless.
The worn-out Miyazaki sensei leaves me thinking that maybe it should have been better if he had retired with "From Up on Poppy Hill."
Jun 28, 2015 2:40 PM

Sep 2008
Pangeaa said:
When Naoko said on the hotel that she had the disease. I knew this was gonna end bad and I worried through the whole film. That ruined some of the enjoyment from me. Im a sucker for nice endings.

THIS!
Just like me!
Damn you, Ghibli!

Pangeaa said:
I know it's based on a true story but meh...

Really?! I don't know that!

Animation was perfect as always! *.*
Jirou's voice sounded kinda strange,
but I kinda quickly started to like it and even love it!

I really liked first part, but when they bring romance into it
and give heroine deadly disease...
Why Ghibli!? Why?!
I had a glimmer of hope that Jirou's sister will help Naoko recover...
But... oh... well... I was naive...

well... this is based on true story, right?
then, ok... I think can deal with it.

Anyway... good movie!
Ghibli movies never bored me :)
Jul 16, 2015 11:59 AM
May 2014
Pangeaa said:
When Naoko said on the hotel that she had the disease. I knew this was gonna end bad and I worried through the whole film. That ruined some of the enjoyment from me. Im a sucker for nice endings. I know it's based on a true story but meh...

actually, Naoko is a fictional character. No one knows anything about this mans personal life.

But Miyazaki used her more as a character to portray his message.

Fincher did the same thing with The Social Network where he took alot of liberties with the real life characters to portray another kind of message.
Jul 31, 2015 12:14 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Beautiful animation. Jiro was a pretty likable main character. Passionate in his goals and in love. Liked the romance between Jiro and Naoko, but the rest felt very dry.

I felt like the movie was a bit too long for my liking too. It was interesting, at the very least.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Aug 7, 2015 8:16 AM

Nov 2013
The ending was nice, but the romance is very forced and so many unrealistic moments, not worse ghibli but certainly not good either.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Aug 9, 2015 7:54 PM

Mar 2015
Where are all the otaku getting shot down by the airplane in Akihabara? Damn you false advertisment!
_HeroKenzan_Jan 10, 2016 5:37 AM
Aug 14, 2015 12:01 AM

Aug 2015
I thought this was a good movie, but not great. The pacing was awfully slow at times, and there were only a couple very small bits where I actually felt anything for the characters. Plus, throughout the entire movie, the man-made sound effects constantly broke my immersion and just sounded bad to me.

I've enjoyed a few Miyazaki/Ghibli movies, and even though this one was pretty good overall, it's still my least favorite. ★4/5
Aug 31, 2015 1:03 AM

Jul 2008
Boy this one really split people huh? Beautiful music and animation. Its a good slice of life story. Who can really say if its a masterpiece or not? All film is subjective afterall.

I give this a solid 8/10.
Sep 26, 2015 8:35 AM
Dec 2011
its a MASTERPIECE THAT I WILL WATCH AND REWATCH UNTIL I DIE thank you MIYAZAKI sensei for teaching us what love is. this is just brilliant, phenomenal....i love it...its so beautiful that i got lost in jiros world completely. its a love story that we should learn a lot from .... jiro is good guy stuck in a bad situation with nowhere to go ... in this story we learn he was just making planes just surviving its the government who made the mistake... i love this story so much :3 if you have a love jiro's and naoko's you don't need anything else and you can endure any trouble :3
Jan 14, 2016 5:39 AM

Sep 2014
I thought this film was great, the subject was interesting to me (aeronautical engineering) and the romance was both lovely and sad. It was clear that Jirou was torn between his passion for aviation and his desire to be with Naoko, shown at times such as when he was working through calculations on the train while his tears wouldn't stop coming. Showing us his dreams and hallucinations was fitting as Jirou came across as the kind of creative visionary who could easily get lost inside his own head, he was someone who was always aiming to design for the future rather than the present.
Mirai, zura~!
Feb 7, 2016 7:56 PM

Aug 2013
Pretty good film overall a few pacing problems here and there kinda hinder it but as Miazaki's swan song it touched on a lot of themes he liked to use so it was effective in that regard.
Apr 4, 2016 2:09 PM

Jul 2009
I really enjoyed the historical aspects of this film and the story was coherent kept my attention from start to finish (which isn't always the case with Ghibli films). I could've done without the fictional melodrama aspect of the story, which I perhaps ruined for myself via research which said Jiro Horikoshi's wife didn't actually have tuberculosis. Overall 8/10.
Jun 2, 2016 9:39 AM

Dec 2014
The whole film seemed a thrilling ride to me... A great film but Maybe I was expecting a better ending for Jiro and Nahiko
Jun 4, 2016 11:39 AM

Aug 2010
I did not think I would like this movie. It is great one ;)
Jun 13, 2016 7:20 AM

Dec 2015
That was great and all but it was long and felt empty at times. It took a moment to get used to Anno's regular voice (clearly, he wasn't acting, wich was bad or good depending on the situation), who gave a less "anime" impression. The music was certainly the best part of the movie, always effective and easy to the ears.
I never thought the aeronautic theme would interest me like it did. The historical aspects are also interesting thanks to the different other characters
(because the hero sure lacks a questioning ability).
But there was way too much CGI: I sometimes thought the heads movements were done with CGI... The earthquake scene was great though.
Also, too much emphasis on the romance. It is shown as very important for the character, but it seemed so unimportant in the same time due to the short time it took.

Enjoyment: 4/5
Score: 6.5/10
Rei_IIIJun 13, 2016 7:45 AM
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» its the 10th year anniversary

mydaddy - Jul 20, 2023

2 by Izuella »»
Jul 20, 2023 4:02 PM

» In Defense of The Wind Rises

Angry_Anime_Nerd - Jun 4, 2017

8 by Valyrian1124 »»
Feb 20, 2023 10:52 PM

» Hideaki Anno is the best VA of all time.

2shizukasensei88 - Jun 7, 2020

2 by Nikiforova »»
Jun 7, 2020 5:53 AM

» What the fuck @ Hideaki Anno?

Yayoe - Dec 19, 2017

1 by BlackJoe23 »»
Apr 8, 2018 1:48 PM

» Omae wa mou shindeiru!

WhatToKnow - Sep 25, 2017

1 by misjebaka8D »»
Oct 18, 2017 9:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.