Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 21, 2013 8:36 AM
Dec 2010
Frontalbrise said:
I think, that Madoka is the wrong show to compare. The focus of Madoka were on the characters and their sad fates. The witches themselves were no sentient beings anymore who could've be saved from that condition. Also Madoka girls where still living normal lives, going to a public school and such.
When we want to compare Gen'ei then with shows about soldiers or soldierlike people in organisations who fight against monsters or aliens, where the protagonist discovers, that the monster are feeling beings too and just misunderstood in any way.
Gatchaman Crowds (as far as seems is now), Bokurano, Gantz and so on.

I 100% agree. Comparing this with Madoka is like comparing potatoes to oranges. This show obviously has a point of its own, even at this stage.

From this episode, we can see that Akari got her resolve to kill the Daemonia from the fact that when she hears the voice of those possessed say,"Save me", what they really mean is "Kill me please". Think about it. The whole doubt of killing Daemonia started when she head "save me" and she understood it as "save the possessed person from the Daemonia". That was what lead her wrongly and caused her to make the mistake and thus get thrown into the dungeons. In the end she found that the ones possessed realize their own actions and have already made the decision to punish themselves via death. It was only that the possession from the Daemonia that prevented them from doing so, instead they continue to be hosts for the Daemonia, committing actions they have long since regretted but because of this reason cannot stop. Thus, what the possessed ones truly wished for is an end to their existence. That was the "save me". It is more like "save me from being unable to commit suicide".

It has the same connotations of doctors performing euthanasia on patients who do not wish to suffer(or whose loved ones do not wish to let them suffer if the patient in question is in permanent comatose).

skudoops said:
The other thing I didn't understand is, what right do they have to pursue, capture then imprison that girl?

Considering that the anti-Daemonia organization probably is part of those illuminati organizations that control the world from the shadows, it's not hard to logicize them being given such power. Not to mention the otherworldly powers they wield via the tarot cards. It's like asking why the Power Rangers are allowed to lock people away on their own accord. Because they can. And they can do much more than just that. Thus I don't think anyone is even going to dare going up against them on this.
newnarJul 21, 2013 8:47 AM
Jul 21, 2013 8:58 AM

Jan 2013
more deaths ;__;

but really good episode, great action and fights :D
Jul 21, 2013 9:03 AM

Jul 2012
The pacing is almost right now. Could still slow down a bit.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jul 21, 2013 9:28 AM

Jun 2010
She killed it in the end anyways. Dafuck.

MC really sucks unless she transforms to her badass mode.
Jul 21, 2013 9:55 AM

Sep 2012
Good episode. I will be happy if she finally can't help them.
Jul 21, 2013 12:36 PM

Feb 2013
Lol did the monster guy make the wheel get stuck in the tracks or was that just a coincidence, the teacher didnt want to die alone so she was gonna take that last kid with her, this show is more dark than i thought lol
[/url]
Jul 21, 2013 1:20 PM

Jan 2013
Was this episode any better than the last 2 ? Please tell so I can know to drop it.
Jul 21, 2013 1:29 PM

Jun 2012
Mostly boring episode, besides the ending.

Jul 21, 2013 2:59 PM

Jul 2010
A pretty nice episode, I must admit that I liked this one. Awesome OST btw.

symbv said:
More deaths...

The feeling of the show trying to out-Madoka Madoka is even stronger in this episode.

Got the same feeling myself.
Jul 21, 2013 3:27 PM
Sep 2011
Omniknight said:

I don't think you really grasped the reasons behind Madoka's actions if you thought she was a completely passive character... Madoka Magica is about the process of becoming a mahou shoujo. If she become one in episode 1-3, there would be no story...

Ah the typical "You didn't get the point of the show." Defense. Always fun. I really don't think I should have to explain the entire plot of the series just to point out that I prefer a magical girl protagonist who doesn't stand on the sidelines and cry the whole show, or one who actually has a personality.
Jul 21, 2013 3:43 PM

Apr 2010
It's obvious this mahou shoujo anime has a darker plot than most other mahou shoujo anime it was the same for Madoka.
And it's safe to assume that this is trying to go even darker than Madoka.

Judging the characters i see a few possibilities where it will go wrong.
Ginka doesn't seem to fully understand the danger she is facing which makes me to think see will do something to make things go wrong in a future episode or she will get seriously hurt herself.
Seira has a harsh personality and she seems to have difficulty accepting Akari she already attacked her when Akari did something she didn't like.
The possibility of her killing a other member of the group or organisation is high which could be a other factor of things going wrong.
Luna is very insecure and it seems she has a multiple large burdens resting on her shoulders she might crack at some point.

Their are multiple possibilities in this anime of things going wrong it might also be a combination of things going wrong.
Honestly i am really looking forward of what else this anime is going to bring us.
Jul 21, 2013 4:21 PM

Jan 2011
NeverSleep said:
The reverse Death card made it's clear appearance after all, this is probably connected directly to some kind of enemy using this card since there are only 21 warriors but 22 tarot cards.

I think "The Wheel" (Fate/Fortune) or "The World" (Universe/Existence) is the card outside of the avatar process since either card could be considered to reference something that is more powerful and transcends the rather simplistic conflict between Tarot aspects that's supposed to be the kickstarter for this series. Since the use and interpretations of the Tarot seem to be (perhaps aptly) at the level of a middle-school novice reader (with distinct fluffy bunny tendencies) I wouldn't take anything too seriously that they offer as an explanation.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 21, 2013 4:38 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
rodac said:
Since the use and interpretations of the Tarot seem to be (perhaps aptly) at the level of a middle-school novice reader (with distinct fluffy bunny tendencies) ...
Made me laugh! :)
Jul 21, 2013 5:32 PM

Oct 2008
RLinksoul said:
Omniknight said:

I don't think you really grasped the reasons behind Madoka's actions if you thought she was a completely passive character... Madoka Magica is about the process of becoming a mahou shoujo. If she become one in episode 1-3, there would be no story...

Ah the typical "You didn't get the point of the show." Defense. Always fun. I really don't think I should have to explain the entire plot of the series just to point out that I prefer a magical girl protagonist who doesn't stand on the sidelines and cry the whole show, or one who actually has a personality.

I'm personally having trouble with the idea of your typical mahou shoujo protagonst having personality actually... Considering they all cry and are shy and innocent, I don't see how that's different from Madoka in that regard. However, she was never entirely passive and she steps up to plate at the end of it too. To be honest though, she's not my favourite character either, since I see her a foil for the other characters.

But your preferences are your preferences. I wasn't trying to start an argument just to be clear since you got all defensive.
OmniknightJul 21, 2013 5:39 PM
Jul 21, 2013 5:44 PM
Sep 2011
Omniknight said:

I'm personally having trouble with the idea of your typical mahou shoujo protagonst having personality actually... Considering they all cry and are shy and innocent, I don't see how that's different from Madoka in that regard. She steps up to plate at the end of it too. To be honest, she's not my favourite character either.

But your preferences are your preferences. I wasn't trying to start an argument just to be clear since you got all defensive.

Well since your opinion on "typical" magical girl shows is so negatively biased, you probably haven't seen too many, but I could name at least twenty traditional magical girl protagonists with more personality than Madoka.

But again... that's the point. She's an ordinary nothing special girl with no real hopes of dreams. The thing about Madoka is... that's her whole personality for over half the show. Combine that with her being more of a bystander for much of the show and you have a less than desirable protagonist for someone like me who enjoys seeing magical girl characters put their hearts into everything they do.
Jul 21, 2013 7:46 PM

Jun 2013
Boring episode, except for the end. The story has yet to make me actually give a shit about the characters or story. I think I'll just drop this.
Jul 21, 2013 8:16 PM

Feb 2013
This series has been in production hell since at least Comiket 80 in 2011 and had the working title "Genei no Messiah"/"Blood of Fortune" initially, predating the airing of Madoka. Quick google search of those names shows archived announcements, characters, etc.

It's possible the script was pushed further into darker territory after Madoka's insane success, but I'm going to guess that with the working title Blood of Fortune the series wasn't going down a happy path to begin with. We'll never really know.

It's unfortunate that this show will never be given a chance living in the shadow of Madoka. Not saying this is AOTY or it's breaking new ground or anything, but it's its own thing and is watchable as a mahou shoujo series (christ almighty that first episode was a colossal trainwreck though).

Dunno how the character design and art style is so polarizing. I'm personally enamored with it and really despair that there's not going to be much in the way of fanart for this series.
Jul 21, 2013 10:14 PM

Apr 2013
Some what trying to be like Madoka? with the animals and the girls hesitation
Jul 21, 2013 10:19 PM

Apr 2013
Barion-Zara said:
VioLink said:
neontaster said:
I know many people hate the character designs for this show but I really dig the whole style concept. It's its own thing and I appreciate that. Also fire hair = win.

It looked cool when she did her running attack.

Loved both those scenes too. Dat hair :D

Yes the scene of her running absolutely amazing.
Jul 21, 2013 11:09 PM

Jul 2012
Honestly, the only thing that connects to "Madoka-Magica" besides Aniplex's involvement is the "battle barriers" (and where the girls can only see it's Daemonia form) and the "gritty" magical girl theme...

On top of that, I really like Luna more. I love her child form with that bonnet.. What a cute baby!
timerrabbitJul 21, 2013 11:16 PM

"Everyone go love Cyan!"
Jul 22, 2013 12:09 AM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
the weakness of this show is that it is a bit too conscious in what it does with everything, so not only are you correct, but your comment has twice the meaning. The show is a little too studied, a little too forced. It also borrows a bit too much from Sakura Taisen. The "transportation sequence" in episode two reminded me of the Sakura Movie.

The show really needs to develop its own voice if it wants to move discs. Right now it is watchable, but not re-watchable.
I have to agree, though I do not feel that much of Sakura Taisen's vibe except some visual similarity. The self-conscious part is definitely there, and there is also the balance thing - which here seems too slow grindingly grim for watchers in Japan, and the odd character designs with the big head and sticky limbs, certainly do not endear to fans in Japan. Currently it is struggling in the bottom tier among titles in this cour, and looking at the titles for the coming episodes I can see the story will get grimmer and grimmer. If the series is already deemed too grim without any balancing appeal in other aspects, I think the series will just sink deeper and deeper in the disc sales race.

newnar said:
Comparing this with Madoka is like comparing potatoes to oranges
Not really. But anyway, even potatoes and oranges are comparable as plants and food for human consumption. The thing is we can find a lot more similarities between Madoka and this show than, say, between Lucky Star or MacrossF and this show. Harsh fate and grim destiny awaiting a young girl caught involuntarily in a mahou shoujo fight against monsters who were originally normal humans within certain "magic sphere" is what made people compare the two shows, and I don't think there are many shows that share the same traits as these two anime.
symbvJul 22, 2013 12:16 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 22, 2013 2:55 AM

Apr 2013
After watching Gatchaman episode 2, and now I want to know what with MC saving monsters?
Jul 22, 2013 3:38 AM

Jan 2013
FlamingYu said:
After watching Gatchaman episode 2, and now I want to know what with MC saving monsters?
Better ask whats with the black-white display of the most shows. Most of the time protagonist can kill freely because monsters are just evil. For that matter, its ok when protagonists kill, because they're killing "evil" people. I like it, when shows try to make the antagonist sentient, although this is often badly handled.
Jul 22, 2013 3:49 AM

Sep 2012
FlamingYu said:
Yeah, another thing that came to my mind when I watched Gatchaman ep.2 ! Quite a coincidence I must say.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 22, 2013 6:49 AM
Feb 2013
symbv said:
Currently it is struggling in the bottom tier among titles in this cour, and looking at the titles for the coming episodes I can see the story will get grimmer and grimmer. If the series is already deemed too grim without any balancing appeal in other aspects, I think the series will just sink deeper and deeper in the disc sales race.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the disk sales numbers?
Jul 22, 2013 6:51 AM

Jan 2010
Regular episode, full of clichés and doubts of the protagonist, but I did not expect this, and even with these tips that I do not like the structure of the work is getting at least arrest me. The drama and anticipation to convey quality, just hope there is, behind it, a story and plot deeper, as well as Madoka, but of course, leaving aside all comparisons.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Jul 22, 2013 6:59 AM

Sep 2012
nagatoyuki108 said:
From Amazon Stalker - http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/index_news.cgi#header

Jul 22, 2013 8:49 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Foo. Had I let lack of similarity be my main criteria for a show I would have stopped watching anime 10 years ago.

Whatever, so far I like this show.

symbv said:
newnar said:
Not really. But anyway, even potatoes and oranges are comparable as plants and food for human consumption.
only sort of. Potatoes have to be cooked to destroy some toxins. So, in a valid sense they are not edible.
Jul 22, 2013 9:16 AM

Sep 2012
Cratex said:
symbv said:
newnar said:
Not really. But anyway, even potatoes and oranges are comparable as plants and food for human consumption.
only sort of. Potatoes have to be cooked to destroy some toxins. So, in a valid sense they are not edible.
But you get the idea why I said EVEN the two are comparable, don't you??

Jul 22, 2013 9:19 AM

Jan 2013
fatsumie said:
Some what trying to be like Madoka? with the animals and the girls hesitation
Oh my, Magical Girls and talking anime. Never seen that before Madoka. Oh wait - its a common occurence in magical girl shows that both Madoka and Genei as basic concept to deconstruct. And no, Madoka wasn't the first dark magical show. Just look at Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne (at least the manga), Princess Tutu or even My-Hime, all of them predating Madoka by far.
I guess a lot of Madoka fans haven't even seen real magical girl shows before and tend to think every magical girl show except Madoka is Sailor Moon. Stop measure everything with Madoka just because its a show with typical properties of Magical Girl shows.
Jul 22, 2013 10:37 AM
Apr 2013
I honestly feel like I might be the only one who's really really irk'd by the main protag?
I feel like this is how I would have felt with Madoka if only she didn't do shit in the last episodes.
Her remorse or guilt has put all of the characters in danger in an attempt to prove them wrong that the monsters are still intact with their human side.
Sure they can be, but the fact that she put all of her team mate AND normal human lives in danger for ONE monster just really pisses me off.
Needless to say we don't know whether or not they can or cannot actually be converted back to their regular human self, but the main protag disregards this bit of fact and just does things willy nilly in my honest opinion.
Jul 22, 2013 10:49 AM
Feb 2013
symbv said:
nagatoyuki108 said:

What's the general cutoff for good or bad ranks on there?
Jul 22, 2013 10:58 AM

Sep 2012
nagatoyuki108 said:
symbv said:
nagatoyuki108 said:
What's the general cutoff for good or bad ranks on there?
For very good, <100; quite good <500; so-so <1000 (if we want to be generous, then <2000). Anything else, bad. Note I am talking about the ranking, which is what I have always been talking about when I talked about sales of this title in this thread.

Jul 22, 2013 10:59 AM

Mar 2012
This series is really reminiscent to Madoka Magica to me...well, except that I don't quite find it as "tragic."

It isn't blowing me out of the water, but it is piquing my interest. So far, it's one of my favorite series that debuted this season...right along with Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi and Blood Lad.
Jul 22, 2013 11:04 AM

Nov 2011
Of course you can compare this to Madoka, but I find the comparison to only be a broad brush type. They are both Mahou Shoujo. They are both dark. They both deal with the protagonist having doubts on whether to do it or not. But that's just about where the comparisons end for me. At least thus far it seems Genei is doing something different and doing it in a different way. It remains to be seen whether some of the later stuff and the ending are more comparable to Madoka, but thus far I think it is a bit unfair to try and stretch the comparisons. "Oh, this is also about humans turned into monsters." Yeah, so are 70,000 other shows. I'm watching Shikabane Hime right now and that's also the plot of that show, but I wouldn't compare it to Madoka.

In any case I will reserve judgment on the Madoka comparison until this show ends. Otherwise I am being unfair and judging it before it has a chance to branch off and do its own thing.
Jul 22, 2013 11:26 AM

Sep 2012
neontaster said:
Of course you can compare this to Madoka, but I find the comparison to only be a broad brush type. They are both Mahou Shoujo. They are both dark. They both deal with the protagonist having doubts on whether to do it or not. But that's just about where the comparisons end for me.
And I think this already makes a good base for people to associate the two shows together. At the end, one reason why people would start to compare it with Madoka is because Madoka is the show they see that share more traits with this show and comes first to mind. So it is FAIR to do the comparison even with that few (or many, I'd actually say) similarities.

neontaster said:
At least thus far it seems Genei is doing something different and doing it in a different way. It remains to be seen whether some of the later stuff and the ending are more comparable to Madoka, but thus far I think it is a bit unfair to try and stretch the comparisons.
Of course we will never have an identical show, but that should not prevent us from making comparisons. Doing this is actually fair. Also don't forget there is a phrase "compare and contrast" -- in literal criticism, we compare the similarities and contrast the differences. Comparing two shows that share so many traits is even valid if this show goes to a completely different direction because if we look back we can still say the first part of this series is comparable to Madoka. What has been shown now already gives us enough ground to do that.

neontaster said:
"Oh, this is also about humans turned into monsters." Yeah, so are 70,000 other shows. I'm watching Shikabane Hime right now and that's also the plot of that show, but I wouldn't compare it to Madoka.
How do you come with the 70,000 number, may I ask? If we want to talk about facts, let's stay with facts without gross exaggeration please. And of course it is less meaningful if you compare two shows that share very few common traits: we may not want to compare every show that has "human turned into monsters" but if it is combined with other traits that are shared (and you already mentioned above) I do not see why then the two shows are not meaningful to be compared.

Jul 22, 2013 11:45 AM

Nov 2011
symbv said:

I was using hyperbole, not stating a fact. And I simply meant that people being turned into monsters is a relatively common theme in the world of supernatural fiction in general and not just in anime, so it feels like a weird point of comparison. It's like comparing two mecha shows because both have giant robots in them. Is that fair? Sure it is, but it's not exactly a strong point of comparison because giant robots are an entire genre.

Put it this way - you can compare, say, Evangelion and RahXephon because both are psychological mecha shows, but I wouldn't say that the shows are similar because both have mecha. The similarities exist elsewhere. In that same way I don't think the witches/Deamonea is a very strong point of comparison. The air of desperation and uncertainty seems a better place to start for me.

And again - if what you are doing is comparing and contrasting then by all means do. What I don't like is when someone says "this is just like Madoka and therefore I don't like it." As long as you are not being overly simplistic like that, then any comparison is valid. Like I said before, I can compare Genei Taiyou quite a bit with Darker Than Black, for example. They are very different kinds of shows but they share certain themes.

I really wasn't picking a fight here. I was just complaining at people's dismissal of a show because it reminds them of another one. I rarely watch anime that doesn't at least remind me of other anime. Seems like a weird reason to not watch something, that's all.
neontasterJul 22, 2013 11:48 AM
Jul 22, 2013 12:12 PM

Sep 2012
neontaster said:
I was using hyperbole, not stating a fact. And I simply meant that people being turned into monsters is a relatively common theme in the world of supernatural fiction in general and not just in anime, so it feels like a weird point of comparison.
Mixing hyperbole in a debate does not raise the quality of it. It only made you sound lofty and bombastic without adding value to the essence of the matter being debated. It is something that is commonly warned against in debate training. Anyway, I wonder why you singled out the "people turned into monster" theme out of the many similarities it shares with Madoka but not other traits -- did we see many people saying this show is like Madoka simply because of that similarity only? If there are not that many doing this kind of overly simple comparison, aren't you raising some straw man for criticism?

neontaster said:
I really wasn't picking a fight here. I was just complaining at people's dismissal of a show because it reminds them of another one. I rarely watch anime that doesn't at least remind me of other anime. Seems like a weird reason to not watch something, that's all.
But in your original post, you did not mention that your post is to rebut people's dismissing this show simply because it reminds them of another show. You only talked about why you don't think the two shows should be compared beyond a "general brush" level.

Jul 22, 2013 12:27 PM

Nov 2011
symbv said:
neontaster said:
I was using hyperbole, not stating a fact. And I simply meant that people being turned into monsters is a relatively common theme in the world of supernatural fiction in general and not just in anime, so it feels like a weird point of comparison.
Mixing hyperbole in a debate does not raise the quality of it. It only made you sound lofty and bombastic without adding value to the essence of the matter being debated. It is something that is commonly warned against in debate training. Anyway, I wonder why you singled out the "people turned into monster" theme out of the many similarities it shares with Madoka but not other traits -- did we see many people saying this show is like Madoka simply because of that similarity only? If there are not that many doing this kind of overly simple comparison, aren't you raising some straw man for criticism?

I can only relate the things I see myself (mostly on Twitter but also anime blogs). I think calling it a Madoka clone is wholly unfair, and I see that quite often. And the people thing I mentioned because I actually think that is an aspect in which the shows aren't that similar. I mean generally yes, but the scenarios strike me as pretty different. I mean, no one can argue that both shows are dark mahou shoujo, but the witches and deamonea scenario is slightly different.

And I don't use hyperbole when I am trying to pick apart someone's argument. In this case I was just making a general comment so I let myself go a bit wild. I didn't feel I was arguing directly with anyone so I didn't think I'd be beholden to the actual number 70,000. Should have just went with "several other" instead.

symbv said:
neontaster said:
But in your original post, you did not mention that your post is to rebut people's dismissing this show simply because it reminds them of another show. You only talked about why you don't think the two shows should be compared beyond a "general brush" level.

I was actually taking your side against the people who said it can't be compared to Madoka at all. I think we are confusing two different things here:

1. Can you compare and contrast these two shows?
2. Are these two shows comparable?

I definitely think you can compare and contrast the two but personally I find them relatively incomparable at least at this early stage. It is entirely possible that it'll take a sharp turn at some point and head down an entirely different path, and it's also entirely possible that it'll end very similarly to Madoka, thus making the shows highly comparable.

You could also compare Madoka to Cowboy Bebop if you want, but they are very incomparable shows. Granted, Genei Taiyou is way way closer to Madoka than Cowboy Bebop, but I don't think we've seen enough of where this show is going to determine that the two are comparable. That doesn't mean you aren't allowed to compare and contrast them, though. I just don't think you can make a definitive call yet. If I compared and contrasted this with Madoka right now, I think I would find more things to contrast than compare. They feature many of the same elements, but for different reasons and they've played out differently thus far.
Jul 22, 2013 12:52 PM

Jan 2013
I agree with neontaster. The two shows are both dark magical girl shows - but with entirely different structure and premisse. While the Protagonist in Genei is part of an organisation (like Hajime in Gatchaman or Robin in Witch Hunter Robin), Madoka and friends are a loose bunch of people (like Bunny and friends in Sailor Moon or Sakura and friends in Cardcaptor Sakura).
Jul 22, 2013 3:46 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
symbv said:
But you get the idea why I said EVEN the two are comparable, don't you??

Yeah, I was just wanted to quibble the technical details :) (by the way, after I posted that last night I got a craving for french fries and ended up cooking some).

At any rate, I also see more differences than similarities between the two shows, but then even my cat thinks I'm weird.
Jul 22, 2013 3:56 PM

Feb 2011
This is now the first show I dropped this season.

I find the action scenes to be pretty cool and creative, but the characters are extremely dull, boring and I couldn't care less about what happens to them.
Jul 22, 2013 4:46 PM

Feb 2013
so much loliness, perfeito
Jul 22, 2013 9:08 PM

Sep 2010
I'ts a kind of kids's delivery?

I laughed so hard xD
Jul 22, 2013 9:48 PM

Sep 2012
nice episode...
Jul 23, 2013 3:26 AM
May 2013
I feel this one was weaker than the last two, I just hope they find a strong direction and the show picks up.

As for the ending scene with the two animals, they basically tell us there is something fishy about the organization.

Based on what the blonde magic girl was saying this episode, I would flag her as the first of the 4 to die.
My predictions following that would be her death alienates blue magic girl even more which creates some messy conflict between the rest of them.
Once it becomes revealed to the characters that the organization is 'evil' either they reunite to fight the bigger threat or split with blue siding with the organization.
More sacrifices happen, green girl probably won't make it to the end, something to do with MC's mother effects the plot, but in the end fire girl triumphs (or maybe she dies trying, I could see this being one of those kinda shows).

But then again, I really hope the writers for this series take the show on a more interesting/unique direction.
Jul 23, 2013 6:09 AM

Mar 2009
I feel like I'm watching Madoka all over again, except there aren't any evil stuffed animals around... I'm not saying it's a bad thing though, but I'm waiting for some more action and character developpment.
Jul 23, 2013 9:20 AM

Sep 2012
neontaster said:
I don't think we've seen enough of where this show is going to determine that the two are comparable. That doesn't mean you aren't allowed to compare and contrast them, though. I just don't think you can make a definitive call yet. If I compared and contrasted this with Madoka right now, I think I would find more things to contrast than compare. They feature many of the same elements, but for different reasons and they've played out differently thus far.
Thanks for your detailed and patient explanation, I think you have made your points articulately for all of us. But I would definitely disagree that "we haven't seen enough of where this show is going to determine that the two are comparable" because as I said what we have seen so far already provides enough ground for the two shows to compare. What is "comparable"? In simple words, it means they are good to be compared. And what if I ask someone who has watched a fair amount of anime what anime would come to mind after watching this show? Cowbody Bepop or Madoka? If more people pick Madoka than Cowboy Bepop, then it is fair to say that Genei and Madoka are more comparable. And as I said, even if the direction of this show goes to a very different direction, what we have seen so far is already good ground to compare the two shows, if only for the part of the series shown so far.

Jul 23, 2013 10:03 AM

Nov 2011
symbv said:
neontaster said:
I don't think we've seen enough of where this show is going to determine that the two are comparable. That doesn't mean you aren't allowed to compare and contrast them, though. I just don't think you can make a definitive call yet. If I compared and contrasted this with Madoka right now, I think I would find more things to contrast than compare. They feature many of the same elements, but for different reasons and they've played out differently thus far.
Thanks for your detailed and patient explanation, I think you have made your points articulately for all of us. But I would definitely disagree that "we haven't seen enough of where this show is going to determine that the two are comparable" because as I said what we have seen so far already provides enough ground for the two shows to compare. What is "comparable"? In simple words, it means they are good to be compared. And what if I ask someone who has watched a fair amount of anime what anime would come to mind after watching this show? Cowbody Bepop or Madoka? If more people pick Madoka than Cowboy Bepop, then it is fair to say that Genei and Madoka are more comparable. And as I said, even if the direction of this show goes to a very different direction, what we have seen so far is already good ground to compare the two shows, if only for the part of the series shown so far.

Fair enough. And no worries. If I see fights in these threads I tend to stay away. I'd rather write a lot of text as part of a good discussion rather than a fight. :)
Jul 23, 2013 11:10 AM

Jan 2008
I belong to the "not-amused-with-the-character-design" camp, altough it's slowly growing on me. I'm sure I still won't like it by the end of the show, but it doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out. Animation during fights compenastes for it nicely, so it's all good.

As for the Madoka "references" - I won't deny the fact that I am having huge Puella Magi vibes here because of the "dark mahou shoujo" aspect and its grim side. But I actually like to think that while Madoka was the first to be an all-out dark magical girls show, Genei is another in the line and there will be more titles like this to come which is nice in my opinion. I like my mahou shoujo fluffy, I like my mahou shoujo a bit darker, and I certainly would like to see more grim titles from this genre. It adds to the variety along with breath of fresh air.

As for the Genei's plot itself... I'm sad to tell that there's still nothing to see here, at least for me. It's as anticlimatic as it was last week. Someone said it's rushed and oh God, how right that person is. After couple of days (hours?) Luna already likes Akari to the point of throwing the whole mission out the window because of the latter's whim. She's new and troubled - what if the so-called voices are result of her bad mood or something similar? Nope, Friendship To The Grave is already in motion, as forced as it looks.
Also the whole "imma listen to these voices, who cares about the teacher and the children" made me cringe. I KNOW that Akari is the Heroine, trying to save everything that moves, but it still bothers me. She actually puts more lifes on the line not realizing the whole situation and being stuck on her own goal. I'm sure someone is going to die because of it, my money's on either Luna (obvious reasons) or Ginka because she's the most cheerful about the situation and people like her usually have the darkest past or die first. Probably the Ice Chick whose name I can't remember is set as the one with most troubled experiences so I put Ginka on the "soon-to-die" list.

I'm still sticking to it (I must see who kicks the bucket thanks to Akari after all) but I can understand people who want or already dropped it by now.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2013

65 by BadMeme »»
Aug 10, 2022 4:57 PM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

49 by SuperGalaxy211 »»
Apr 11, 2020 8:29 AM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2013

83 by removed-user »»
Oct 2, 2019 6:26 AM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

54 by tokidoki921 »»
Sep 10, 2019 1:01 PM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

100 by Dthomas22 »»
Jan 5, 2019 3:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.