Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 20, 2013 8:02 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol, the monsters in this series just gets stranger and stranger every episode. Latest one at the railtracks sure takes the cake....

Battle was decent though I guess. Poor kids ;.;

Jul 20, 2013 8:49 AM

Sep 2012
More deaths...

The feeling of the show trying to out-Madoka Madoka is even stronger in this episode.
symbvJul 20, 2013 10:29 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 20, 2013 10:23 AM

Jun 2012
Those talking animals are annoying using people like that. I also think that if that preschool lady didn't panic she would have had enough time to escape.
Jul 20, 2013 10:35 AM

Oct 2012
This episode was decent, I guess! The fighting was cool and this "organization" crap run by two talking animals is pissing me off... Although I don't think that the anime deserves the rating it's at now.

I hope it picks up!
"Now if you'll excuse me I must get back to my Madoka anime. Pink lesbian saved time lesbian and now they're about to fight Walmart"
Jul 20, 2013 10:48 AM

Jan 2012
The whole train scene was interesting, seems as though she has her resolve now. Wondering what those two animals meant :/
Jul 20, 2013 10:59 AM
Jun 2011
i have a bad feeling about those 2 talking animals it seems like they not so good by what they said at the end of the episode
Jul 20, 2013 11:08 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I think I missed something lol. How did all the children get out out except one that the teacher was holding? Was the teacher stuck too? o_o And that dungeon Akari was put in didn't seem very dungeon-y. It's bigger and better furnished than my room. Well I'm glad that Akari finally realizes she can't not kill the daemonia, but hopefully she can find a way to save the people.
Jul 20, 2013 11:08 AM

Sep 2010
Eh, her emo naivety is a little annoying... so is everyone who's just letting her get away with it instead of telling her off.

It's a simple thought process, least for me anyway. Someone hurting/killing other people. Don't kill that person more lives are lost. Solution? Kill that person. The end. No guilt whatsoever. NONE. Wouldn't even think twice about it. Could do it while thinking about what I'm gonna eat for dinner ;P

symbv said:
More deaths...

The feeling of the show trying to out-Madoka Madoka is even stronger in this episode.

Got that feeling myself. Like they're laying it so thick it's kinda coming across as trying to hard.
Few maxims have done as much harm as, "Children should be seen and not heard."
Jul 20, 2013 11:18 AM
Oct 2010
howd the train stop that fast -___-

alll dat gore/death
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jul 20, 2013 11:19 AM

Jul 2012
At least she's not so stubborn anymore. I have a bad feeling about the two animals as well. Decent episode I suppose.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Jul 20, 2013 11:24 AM

Jan 2013
I think, that Madoka is the wrong show to compare. The focus of Madoka were on the characters and their sad fates. The witches themselves were no sentient beings anymore who could've be saved from that condition. Also Madoka girls where still living normal lives, going to a public school and such.
When we want to compare Gen'ei then with shows about soldiers or soldierlike people in organisations who fight against monsters or aliens, where the protagonist discovers, that the monster are feeling beings too and just misunderstood in any way.
Gatchaman Crowds (as far as seems is now), Bokurano, Gantz and so on.
Jul 20, 2013 11:26 AM

Aug 2011
symbv said:

I agree. It feels like they're trying really hard to surpass Madoka.

tingy said:
I think I missed something lol. How did all the children get out out except one that the teacher was holding?

I'm assuming that the teacher took them out one by one and put them on the ground, and told them to get past the boundaries. And the teacher was about to take the next child away when the train started moving again and she froze in shock.

Frontalbrise said:
I think, that Madoka is the wrong show to compare. The focus of Madoka were on the characters and their sad fates. The witches themselves were no sentient beings anymore who could've be saved from that condition. Also Madoka girls where still living normal lives, going to a public school and such.
When we want to compare Gen'ei then with shows about soldiers or soldierlike people in organisations who fight against monsters or aliens, where the protagonist discovers, that the monster are feeling beings too and just misunderstood in any way.

I don't think that's the reason why people are comparing the two shows (there may be comparable points between Madoka and Genei though). It's the whole atmosphere of the show. Genei has the same dark, gloomy atmosphere that Madoka has. And while it's not like using the atmosphere is a bad thing, but the way they're using it just makes it so comparable to Madoka. They're both very different, and yet they feel so similar. That's the feeling I'm getting.

Akari did a good job with annoying me in the first half of the episode. Yes her behaviour may be logical, I get that, but nonetheless it annoyed me. Second half was good though, I'm glad she found her resolve.

LaciieJul 20, 2013 11:30 AM
Jul 20, 2013 11:28 AM

May 2013
Good episode.
Jul 20, 2013 11:31 AM
Sep 2011
That's enough for me. The bizarre monster design had me hooked for a while but they can't cover up for how cheaply animated this show is (blurry camera effects, hello). The characters lack depth and get assigned a run-off-the-mill tragic backstory and the writing doesn't show any sign to get better.

Sorry, but klling off characters doesn't make for a mature storyline.
Jul 20, 2013 11:42 AM

Sep 2009
Good thing they don't ended with the crap "Akari could heal them instead of kill". This could ruin all the atmosphere. For now I like the series and have faith it won't end up like Symphogear and Vivid Red
Jul 20, 2013 11:46 AM

Nov 2011
I know many people hate the character designs for this show but I really dig the whole style concept. It's its own thing and I appreciate that. Also fire hair = win.

Jul 20, 2013 11:48 AM
May 2013
i kinda think if she kills them after resolving there problem the dont get forgotten or sometime survive xd
Jul 20, 2013 11:51 AM

Jan 2011
neontaster said:
I know many people hate the character designs for this show but I really dig the whole style concept. It's its own thing and I appreciate that. Also fire hair = win.

It looked cool when she did her running attack.
[center]
Jul 20, 2013 11:58 AM
Apr 2013
I feel as though this is underrated. It isn't that bad and I think it has a nice plot and action sequenes. I do hate the character design but that is about it. I think it should atleast be in the mids 7's
Jul 20, 2013 12:01 PM

Aug 2010
VioLink said:
neontaster said:

It looked cool when she did her running attack.

Loved both those scenes too. Dat hair :D
Jul 20, 2013 12:02 PM
Apr 2013
And i dont get why people hate when character realistically react to killing people. I think it is stupid when they jump in all happy and it was only half an episode that she was pondering her situation.
Jul 20, 2013 12:04 PM

Dec 2012
Although I don't want to compare this to Madoka, I feel as though it's not really handling the dark themes it's presenting all that well. It feels rather rushed and awkward at times, especially with Akari's decisions as a whole. I'm having a hard time connecting to the characters as well. I like this series so far and think it definitely has potential, but I really hope it picks up soon because it's only scratching at the surface of the concepts it's presenting.
Jul 20, 2013 2:11 PM

Jan 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
Although I don't want to compare this to Madoka, I feel as though it's not really handling the dark themes it's presenting all that well. It feels rather rushed and awkward at times, especially with Akari's decisions as a whole. I'm having a hard time connecting to the characters as well. I like this series so far and think it definitely has potential, but I really hope it picks up soon because it's only scratching at the surface of the concepts it's presenting.

Her decisions are understandable for her personality, the consequences to those decisions are not and she should have to deal with the consequences. The police officer shouldn't have scared away the monster from those 2 children (why would it be afraid of the officer?). Therefore they should have died or significant effort or extreme luck was involved in their rescue to show just how dangerous and self absorbed her decision was.
BrotwoJul 20, 2013 2:15 PM
Jul 20, 2013 2:14 PM

Sep 2012
Go killing people Akari. It's for a better good.
Jul 20, 2013 3:25 PM

Jan 2013
Hmm, it was alright.
Somethings off though
Jul 20, 2013 3:31 PM

Nov 2011
More fire hair:

Jul 20, 2013 3:40 PM

Mar 2011
The moral dilemma that the protagonist faces is poorly executed. No trying to discuss it with her like normal people would, and rather than acting like a child that's been scolded I would have thought she'd be more emotional. Rather than it feeling like an actual issue that I could possibly identify with, the way they have executed it makes it seem more like this:
Protagonist: I don't want to kill anyone!
Teachers/Whatever: Shut the **** up, you have to kill them, because I said so.

It's so lazy. Green-hair's past is just introduced in a pusedo-flashback with talking shadows, which is an incredibly lazy technique. "Look, here's how people treated her, feel sad now", "now look, this is why protagonist is so important to green-hair". This is what I mean when I talk about the "tell not show" attitude to drama.

That's the word I've been looking for that sums this show up in one word:

Uncompelling.
Jul 20, 2013 3:59 PM
May 2013
Mystic-Paw said:
No reason to compare this to modaka. The story itself is stale as it is and this episode was a waste of time. Akari spent the whole episode trying to think of a way to not kill the human that got taken over, but ends up doing it anyway and accepting it....

yeah sure ,you wouldnt to the same , right.
try to think about something and if you dont find the solution you want you would simply walk away and let the train kill the woman and the child.... of course you would.
and she isnt really accepting it, she is just doing the only things she can do for now and that is killing them but remembering them so that they arent really forgotten.

InfiniteRufus said:
The moral dilemma that the protagonist faces is poorly executed. No trying to discuss it with her like normal people would, and rather than acting like a child that's been scolded I would have thought she'd be more emotional. Rather than it feeling like an actual issue that I could possibly identify with, the way they have executed it makes it seem more like this:
Protagonist: I don't want to kill anyone!
Teachers/Whatever: Shut the **** up, you have to kill them, because I said so.

yeah and because of this she tries to talk with the human as star wanted to kill him already, she only killed him after he said she should kill him, and she kinda had do do something, either killing him or let him kill a woman and child.
and even after that she stated tha she will always remember the people which she kills, unlike like the other who kinda seem to forgot about them ergo not entirly playing by there rules.
yuukiwrJul 20, 2013 4:04 PM
Jul 20, 2013 4:35 PM

Oct 2011
Now she bears the burden of those she kills

I still don't trust the raven and cat.
Jul 20, 2013 4:43 PM

May 2013
As expected, there is a lot more to the existence of Daemonia and Akari is special for being able to communicate with them. I wonder what these speaking animals are up to. I really liked that we also learned more about the other girls on Akari's team, especially their reasons for joining the organization.
Jul 20, 2013 5:23 PM

Oct 2008
Frontalbrise said:

This.
Can we stop comparing it to Madoka simply because people died in it. Superficial similarities.

The focus of both shows are completely different.
Madoka was all about the twisted process in which mahou shoujo are created and used and was more about the journey to being one.
Genei is more about the morals questions surrounding mahou shoujo as murderers.

Although Akari's reasoning makes zero sense. I feel apprehensive about having to kill someone to save others. So instead of escaping from the scene, I'll just sit like a limp noodle just let the Daemonia kill me instead... Happened like 3 times now.

I love the visuals and the OST is amazing, but I'm just not feeling the characters and the pacing is pretty all over the place.

And can we stop flashing Fuyuna now? It's like what, the 7th time in 3 episodes? It's like they are trying to hit us on the head with a giant mallet, pretending like the audience can't feel empathy if it isn't explicity shown.

AnimeFan500 said:
Now she bears the burden of those she kills

I still don't trust the raven and cat.

I don't think they could have made it any more obvious. They might as well have said, "We are the bad guys." Now, if they did a surprise turn and made them innocent then I'd be impressed.
OmniknightJul 20, 2013 5:31 PM
Jul 20, 2013 5:30 PM

Nov 2011
Omniknight said:
Frontalbrise said:

This.
Can we stop comparing it to Madoka simply because people died in it. Superficial similarities.

Madoka was all about the twisted process in which mahou shoujo are created and used and was more about the journey to being one.
Genei is more about the morals questions surrounding mahou shoujo are murderers.

Although Akari's reasoning makes zero sense. I'm about to kill someone. So instead of killing someone, I'll just sit like a limp noodle just let the Daemonia kill me instead...

I don't think it was a conscious choice so much as a moment of paralysis. She kinda got stuck and didn't know what to do and in those few seconds the thing managed to grab her.

And I too agree that aside from the generally sad tone this doesn't remind me of Madoka at all. It's almost conceptually closer to Darker Than Black than it is to Madoka.
Jul 20, 2013 5:37 PM

Oct 2008
neontaster said:
Omniknight said:
Frontalbrise said:

This.

Genei is more about the morals questions surrounding mahou shoujo are murderers.

Although Akari's reasoning makes zero sense. I'm about to kill someone. So instead of killing someone, I'll just sit like a limp noodle just let the Daemonia kill me instead...

I don't think it was a conscious choice so much as a moment of paralysis. She kinda got stuck and didn't know what to do and in those few seconds the thing managed to grab her.

And I too agree that aside from the generally sad tone this doesn't remind me of Madoka at all. It's almost conceptually closer to Darker Than Black than it is to Madoka.

I can see where you are coming from and initially thought it might just be that, but I just watched that scene right now and and she said "I'll just let... ". (I'll just let it kill me instead is rather strongly implied).
That and she physically lowers her sword, lowers her eyes and wait for the final blow.

Also remember in ep2 when she realizes she killed Fuyuna, she said she's rather have died in her place.
Jul 20, 2013 5:38 PM

Nov 2011
Omniknight said:
neontaster said:
Omniknight said:
Frontalbrise said:

This.

I can see where you are coming from and initially thought it might just be that, but I just watched that scene right now and and she said "I'll just let... ". (I'll just let it kill me instead is rather strongly implied).
That and she physically lowers her sword, lowers her eyes and wait for the final blow.

Also remember in ep2 when she realizes she killed Fuyuna, she said she's rather have died in her place.

Good point. Maybe it is because she was told it was her destiny (that's why she ran away initially), so she figured that was the only option she had left...
Jul 20, 2013 6:49 PM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
More deaths...

Someone has to be the first, tough to follow a blockbuster in the same genre. But the weakness of this show is that it is a bit too conscious in what it does with everything, so not only are you correct, but your comment has twice the meaning. The show is a little too studied, a little too forced. It also borrows a bit too much from Sakura Taisen. The "transportation sequence" in episode two reminded me of the Sakura Movie.

The show really needs to develop its own voice if it wants to move discs. Right now it is watchable, but not re-watchable.
Jul 20, 2013 7:01 PM

Jan 2008
She is telling them that they might be able to be changed back but they dont want to listen good ep other then that.
Jul 20, 2013 7:17 PM

Dec 2012
neontaster said:

People hate the character designs? It's the main reason I started watching this show. I think they are amazing.

People should stfu about this trying to be like Madoka, they were working on this before Madoka even aired..

It's still looking good 4/5, will continue to watch.
Jul 20, 2013 7:34 PM

Nov 2011
tsudecimo said:
neontaster said:

People hate the character designs? It's the main reason I started watching this show. I think they are amazing.

People should stfu about this trying to be like Madoka, they were working on this before Madoka even aired..

It is a complaint I have seen quite often. I think it's kind of intentionally extreme but it works so well.
Jul 20, 2013 9:17 PM

Jul 2012
Lol, they trapped her in a dungeon. Wtf is this.
Jul 20, 2013 9:31 PM

Mar 2009
The reverse Death card made it's clear appearance after all, this is probably connected directly to some kind of enemy using this card since there are only 21 warriors but 22 tarot cards.
Jul 20, 2013 9:34 PM

Jun 2013
I'm actually kinda glad that it's not something like "Only Akari can heal them". Well, not yet anyways. I don't know about the future.

I still cannot get enough of that OP.

I really think that people are judging this series too harshly as a "Madoka clone" though. It's like saying that every series in the harem genre is a clone of ___. They're different shows with a similar genre. Nothing wrong with multiple series of the same genre.
Jul 20, 2013 10:04 PM

May 2012
This show would have much more impact if they just slowed down the pacing. Everything so far just feels like a trainwreck because of this horrendously fast pacing.

I had high expectations for this show but I'm not sure if I want to continue watching at this point.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Jul 20, 2013 10:21 PM
Oct 2010
tsudecimo said:
neontaster said:

I hate the character designs. They straight up look like 8 year olds. The other thing I didn't understand is, what right do they have to pursue, capture then imprison that girl?
Jul 20, 2013 10:50 PM

Sep 2009
RediceRyan said:
Hmm, it was alright.
Somethings off though

I feel the same way...not completely sure what the problem is though.

tsudecimo said:

Do you have a source for this? Not saying you're wrong...I'm just asking because I don't know. If what you are saying is true though, wouldn't that mean they started working on this show/manga/LN two and a half years ago?
Jul 21, 2013 12:46 AM

Nov 2012
Hmmm. Not sure about this one. I got a little bored during this episode. Still, it's really too early to judge the series.
Jul 21, 2013 1:00 AM

Mar 2009
saxophone15 said:
Do you have a source for this? Not saying you're wrong...I'm just asking because I don't know. If what you are saying is true though, wouldn't that mean they started working on this show/manga/LN two and a half years ago?

Dunno, I think he overshot it, the first time I've heard of this was in this from ANN.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-02-20/unnamed-original-anime-website-registered-by-aniplex

The site was as shown in the pic, there was only one rotating Sun tarot card and the domain was http://www.ilsolepenetraleillusioni.com/ (which redirects to the right domain right now)
Jul 21, 2013 6:00 AM
Sep 2011
This week on Madoka Comparisons: The Animation our protagonist fails to save the person who's been turned into a monster of the week, we have in-fighting between magical girls, and we now see for certain that these monsters exist on a plane outside of what normal humans can see.

I find it unsettling that they would shakle the poor girl and forcibly take her back to the base. The brown woman in particular is starting to irk me with her coldness.

Also, there's apparently a body dangling from the monsters with a bag over it's head. I kinda wondered why no one thought to cut it off... Odd.

And while I can understand where Seira is coming from, attacking Akari is pushing it a little too much. I swear, can I have one character voiced by Eri Kitamura who doesn't have a stubborn, hardheaded attitude?

The most disappointing thing so far was Luna's backstory. It wasn't even elaborated on, they just flashed a few scenes to make us pity her and then gave us more Akari shipping.

I like that Akari is struggling morally with this, but isn't just standing around and crying the whole show like a certain other dark magical girl show protagonist. Or rather I'm glad this world doesn't screw Akari over so badly that she has NO CHOICe but to sit on the sidelines and cry.

All in all a weaker episode than the last, but still I'm liking this fairly well.

4/5
Jul 21, 2013 7:08 AM

Oct 2008
RLinksoul said:
This week on Madoka Comparisons: The Animation our protagonist fails to save the person who's been turned into a monster of the week, we have in-fighting between magical girls, and we now see for certain that these monsters exist on a plane outside of what normal humans can see.

I find it unsettling that they would shakle the poor girl and forcibly take her back to the base. The brown woman in particular is starting to irk me with her coldness.

Also, there's apparently a body dangling from the monsters with a bag over it's head. I kinda wondered why no one thought to cut it off... Odd.

And while I can understand where Seira is coming from, attacking Akari is pushing it a little too much. I swear, can I have one character voiced by Eri Kitamura who doesn't have a stubborn, hardheaded attitude?

The most disappointing thing so far was Luna's backstory. It wasn't even elaborated on, they just flashed a few scenes to make us pity her and then gave us more Akari shipping.

I like that Akari is struggling morally with this, but isn't just standing around and crying the whole show like a certain other dark magical girl show protagonist. Or rather I'm glad this world doesn't screw Akari over so badly that she has NO CHOICe but to sit on the sidelines and cry.

All in all a weaker episode than the last, but still I'm liking this fairly well.

4/5

I'm sure we'll get more on each character's backstory... hopefully...
What that moment in Luna's backstory did bring to the equation is how mahou shoujo are perceived in the world: as murderers and untouchables. Kind of heavy handed though.

I don't think you really grasped the reasons behind Madoka's actions if you thought she was a completely passive character... Madoka Magica is about the process of becoming a mahou shoujo. If she become one in episode 1-3, there would be no story...

This week on Madoka comparisons: NONE! But movie 1 and 2 blu-rays are releasing this week! Time to see how the pacing is affected by a movie format!
OmniknightJul 21, 2013 7:14 AM
Jul 21, 2013 7:12 AM

Nov 2011
skudoops said:
I hate the character designs. They straight up look like 8 year olds.

It certainly fits into the category that I call "anime extreme," kinda like Shiki. But I felt like the crazy character designs worked there perfectly and so far they are working for me here too.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2013

65 by BadMeme »»
Aug 10, 2022 4:57 PM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2013

49 by SuperGalaxy211 »»
Apr 11, 2020 8:29 AM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2013

83 by removed-user »»
Oct 2, 2019 6:26 AM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

54 by tokidoki921 »»
Sep 10, 2019 1:01 PM

Poll: » Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

100 by Dthomas22 »»
Jan 5, 2019 3:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.